The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Small Block Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1975 Elite 351w headers question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TechMdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1975 Elite 351w headers question
    Posted: 06-May-2009 at 12:53PM
Hey I am pulling the engine to fix the rear main seal and while its out I am painting the engine compartment. But my question is has anyone put headers on this engine and model car? Looking for one to fit easy are shorty's easier to fit? any Ideas? Thanks Tom
Tech Mdawg                 1975 Ford Torino Elite
1973 Gran Torino "sold"
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2009 at 4:07PM
What trans do you have?I ran the hedman elite headers on my car and they fit like a glove and I'm using the larger AOD trans and there was just enough room.I believe the part# is 88308,they're listed only up to 1973 for torino,mustang,but it's the same chassis as our later years.Check out my resto blog on my 76 S&H there's plenty of pics in there from every angle,you just have to go back to the end of last year to find them.
torino hardtop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torino hardtop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2009 at 8:39AM
I pulled a 351w out of a 75 torino that had long tube headers that had a fmx trans. in it.I am going to put the engine in my 71 torino with the headers.I do have a set of shorty's for a 302 if they would fit.
just a old Ford man
Lmoses View Drop Down
Vendor
Vendor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lmoses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2010 at 3:33PM
I have a set of the Hooker Super Compition long tubes that I have heard fit great.
1979 Cougar XR7 FOR SALE

1978 LTD II Sport Appearence

1954 Ford F600 future 3/4 ton 4x4 project

2000 Silverado

2007 Mustang GT procharged
302ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 302ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2010 at 8:49PM
Originally posted by Lmoses Lmoses wrote:

I have a set of the Hooker Super Compition long tubes that I have heard fit great.

Have you tried to install these? What part # are they?
I have the 6124 supercomps and they were a pain to make fit properly.
Pass side went in super easy with tons of room.
Driver side is so tight motor had to be lifted approx 10" to drop them in.
Pitman arm had to be clearanced sightly so it didnt hit the tube and my #5 cyl primary is
about 1/8" away from the cross member even though I have raised exhaust ports
79 LTD II 408/TKO/3.7's

11.78 117.3mph. drag radials
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2010 at 2:48AM
That's how the big block Super Comps are. Pass side falls in, have the car 2 feet off the ground for the drivers side. (and the engine mounts disconnected).

My Olds was WORSE. LOL
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Lmoses View Drop Down
Vendor
Vendor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lmoses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2010 at 11:12AM
I have the 6125's but I have the entire front clip off the car and am swapping motors.
1979 Cougar XR7 FOR SALE

1978 LTD II Sport Appearence

1954 Ford F600 future 3/4 ton 4x4 project

2000 Silverado

2007 Mustang GT procharged
78sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2010 at 7:09PM
What would be a good low cost set? I'm just cruisin the car, no engine mods and want a better sound than just manifolds and a small diameter 2 into 1 set-up. I wanna run dual pipes all the way back. Do I drop the cats and use a muffler on each side or just run cats and no mufflers? Anybody expiriment already? My air cleaner breathes huge amounts of air but it's like it gets held up from the exhaust being very restricting.
Car is 78 LTD II 351W sport touring, pretty sure it has the weaker tranny as well.

Edited by 78sport - 02-August-2010 at 7:11PM
78 LTD II sport touring edition
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2010 at 1:59AM
Late 80's Mustang GT headers work well!
I have them on my 72 302.
They did require a small area be ground off the side of the flange area to clear the sterring gear box.

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2010 at 2:06AM

Do not laugh at the flex pipe! It was only put on to drive for a few weeks until I put it in storage while I deployed last time!

These headers work well even with the flanges ground down a little.
YES it is close but they do work!
And you can find these at the Junkyards fairly easy and cheap!
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Blueoval76 View Drop Down
Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueoval76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2010 at 3:18AM
Originally posted by cowboyupdjcarl cowboyupdjcarl wrote:

Do not laugh at the flex pipe! It was only put on to drive for a few weeks until I put it in storage while I deployed last time!

These headers work well even with the flanges ground down a little.
YES it is close but they do work!
And you can find these at the Junkyards fairly easy and cheap!

I have to agree with these also. I had Hedman shorties in my 66 Ranchero which is basically the same design and they worked perfect. Just had to dent one tube on mine. I think the Hedman ones put the outside tube closer to the box than the flange but as shown it will work.

Edited by Blueoval76 - 03-August-2010 at 3:18AM
68 Galaxie Wagon 390/auto/2.70
03 Bonneville some mods
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2010 at 7:43AM
I am sure that if I got these REAL HOT I could reach in there with a BFB and "pursuade" them closer to the block for some clearance! lol
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
78sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2010 at 11:16AM
Are there any headers that don't require any grinding or bending? I heard doing away with the cats helps a great deal with flow?
78 LTD II sport touring edition
TopGear (TG) View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TopGear (TG) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2011 at 10:56AM
78, not sure if you are still looking into this but I just installed a set of Patriot long tube headers on my 351 W in my Elite. They were exactly spot on.
Grande Verde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grande Verde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2011 at 5:36PM

It seems that most header manufacturers dont offer full length headers for a column shift car. Some one here recomended Hedman Hedders 88308 for my car. The manufacturer says not for column shift cars, but I dont see where the header would get in the way of the shift cable can any one shine some light on the subject? Maybe pictures showing clearance in that area?

Harry
72 GTS 351W
02 F-350 7.3 PSD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TopGear (TG) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2011 at 3:24AM
Huh. I'm not sure why they would say that. Maybe they are talking about Mustangs there. In a Torino there should be no problem. The tightest place is the top of the collector flange and the underside of the Tranny crossmember. (mostly on the Drivers side header) It was kind of hard getting the bolt in the hole but once I got it in and tight there was enough clearance for engine movement.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TopGear (TG) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2011 at 3:24AM
I'm still working on getting a camera. When I do, I'll post up some pics.
Grande Verde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grande Verde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2011 at 3:56PM
I finally rolled the dice and bought a set of the hedman 88308s They fit perfect, not anywhere close to the shift cable. Install was easy (though I dont have any front sheetmetal on my car), pushed them up from the bottom. No grinding, bending or denting requiredBig smile

Edited by Grande Verde - 25-March-2011 at 3:11AM
Harry
72 GTS 351W
02 F-350 7.3 PSD
 Post Reply Post Reply