The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My brothers graduation present

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973 429 torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My brothers graduation present
    Posted: 25-May-2009 at 3:24PM

Finally trying to post some pictures of my brothers 1973 Gran Torino Sport.  We purchased this Torino to fix up just like his first car to give to him when he became a doctor which was about two years ago.  If it wasn't for my best friend who let me dismantle this car in his shop and use his automotive knowledge, this would not have been possible.  He is honestly a genious.  Luckily my brother lived in another state while we were rebuilding this car.  Every time he came to visit, it was a madhouse trying to hide all the Torino parts I had scattered all over the place.  Probably one of the happiest days of my life was the day our Dad was sitting outside of the lodge in the Torino waiting to surprise him.  My brother had no idea at all about the car. So, needless to say, when my brother walked outside and seen the car for the first time, the tears were flowing all over the place.  I have no idea how much money or how much time was invested in this car, but to show my brother how much I appreciate everything he has done for me, it was worth it and I'd do it all over again!

joshwfl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshwfl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2009 at 4:20PM
SWEET!
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2009 at 6:50PM
Very cool. Color pops on that car.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2009 at 8:27PM
What a great story!! Congratulations Doc! thats one sweet ride!!!!
Starsky and Hutch Limited Edition #559 in rehab
GranTorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2009 at 4:43AM
Now he can play doctor in the big back seat! Wink Sorry guys, I couldn't resist that one.    
interceptor460 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote interceptor460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2009 at 6:45PM
I always liked the 1973 model year. Great looking torino.
iangj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iangj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2009 at 2:04AM
Beautiful!!!!
Ian Glyn-Jones
Fonthill, Ontario, Canada
Wish I had My Baby Back

Montego GT Registry
Forum; http://mmgt.forumchitchat.com/
Hey Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2009 at 2:14AM
Really really nice looking car! 
1974xr7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1974xr7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2009 at 11:16AM
Absolutely gorgeous. What is that color code ?
Always looking for 1974 Q codes
1973 429 torino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973 429 torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2009 at 11:21AM
The paint code is 5M (medium copper metallic).  This was the original color of his car.  I remember back when people weren't too fond of the color, now it seems that almost everyone likes it.  I know we love the color, especially with the stripe.
castillo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castillo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2009 at 5:59PM
3 things really jump out
1.. The vinyl roof... You just don't see them that much
2. The lines and over all finished job
3. And last YOU NAILED THE STANCE.. I've seen so many of these years F'ed-Up due to pumped up air shocks or some other ideas I just can't agree with..
My dad told me 2 things.. Always drive FORDS and never marry women with names like CHERRY,PEACHES and LEMON
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2009 at 10:32PM
Wow.  Beautiful car, and a great story!  Now THAT's family!  Congratulations, nice job!!!
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973 429 torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2009 at 2:13AM
The funny thing about the stance is I can remember riding around with my brother when I was a little kid.  Back then (roughly around 1975) his car had the stock 14" Magnum 500's with L-60 Dean Stinger tires and the air shocks were pumped up completely full.  I can remember feeling the paint stripes on main street at intersections shake the car as we rode over them.  It was cool back then.

When I was probably 12 or 13 years old, he'd let me drive his car on the gravel backroads.  This is probably what caused my addiction to Fords.  I guess thats also the reason theres large holes in the quarter panels of that car too.  I'd stomp the gas and there would be gravel flying all over the place.  I highly doubt we'll be trying that in his new Torino.  His old car had a 302 and a C4, but I thought it was a rocket.  His new one is a 351 C with 1970 close chamber heads, comp cam, comp roller rockers, Weiand intake, Holley 750, CJ exhaust manifolds.  The car runs great, sounds unbelievable, and makes us feel like we were kids again.  It doesn't get any better than that!

Next on the list is our 429 Torino.  Its all original and ready to get started on restoring, just getting all the parts we need first, then we'll get busy on it.  We just picked up a parts car about three weeks ago.  It's a 1973 Q code, 4 speed car that has never had anything taken off of it.  The bodys junk and you can stick your entire body up thru the floor pans, but its got a lot of great parts left in it.  I've had several friends look at it, and we've all came to the conclusion theres not enough left to restore.  I guess its better to recycle than crush!
Gregs72Sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregs72Sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2009 at 12:25PM
I like the stance as well. What size rims and tires did you go with front and back to give it that look? Greg

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973 429 torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2009 at 2:02PM
The front wheels are 15x7's with 235 60R15's and the rear wheels are 15x10's with 295 50R15's.  There are no issues with rubbing.  They look really nice from all angles.  I thought maybe this picture would show how nice they fill up the rear fender.
drjg2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drjg2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2009 at 3:58PM
Hey Little Brother!

Now the whole world knows.  I can't thank you, dad, John, and whoever else was involved enough for all that you guys did.  I will never forget that day at the lodge when you all got me, twice!  And I still can't believe my entire family knew about this and not one of them slipped. 

Big Brother
DrJG2
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2009 at 6:35AM
Beautiful car, fantastic story, and yes the stance is great!

The color really pops!

The tire size is SPOT ON! What springs did you use?
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973 429 torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2009 at 10:15AM
The suspension is all original.  Everything seemed to fit great on the way we wanted it to look, so we left it alone.
 Post Reply Post Reply