The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Drum brake parts questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drum brake parts questions
    Posted: 27-May-2009 at 9:35AM
I just took the rear brakes apart on the '76 sedan. It has standard brakes, 2.25" wide shoes, and the left side is very serviceable, a new wheel cylinder and new shoes, hardware, springs and all and it will be fine.

The right side is a whole another story. When I took the drum off, springs and adjuster pieces and all sorts of garbage came flying out. There was a marble-sized ball of friction material wedged in between the parking brake link and the wheel cylinder. The self adjuster bolt had been sitting on the bottom, had been eaten up so bad that the threaded part was worn FLAT and thin as a credit card. One of the return springs was twisted and melted into a funny shape.

Needless to say, everything on the right side must be replaced including the drum (I was not prepared to buy drums, I'll get into that in a bit) Here's the pictures of what all was bouncing around loose in there:

My problem is this, and I need help coming up with the names of the parts because they aren't sold at RockAuto as far as I have been able to determine:

1) The metal bar that holds the shoes together for parking brake operation, I believe it is called a parking brake link, has a spring on one end, and is the link between the shoes that allows the parking brake to use both shoes?

2) The metal rods that go into each side of the wheel cylinder and push against the shoes (one is pictured above next to the two pieces of rod)

3) The clip at the top that keeps the shoes from touching each other, it goes on the unthreaded stud first before the self adjuster cable and the springs up top?

Everything else I have identified and added to my shopping cart. I'm up over $120 with the drum, I might have to do without that and pray I can find one on a junkyard car and that it's as thick as the driver's side. I don't have a mic to check it, but the left side drum surface was THREE times as thick as the right side. I say it's good, the right one has to go away. I've seen brake pads thicker than that drum surface.

Which brings me to ask about the drums. I have the 5x4.5 bolt pattern and can't use full size car drums (or I'd pull them off the 71 Galaxie 500 I got the license plate bracket from). Are these specific to the 76-79 intermediates as RockAuto's interchange information leads me to believe? Or can pickup drums from the 80s-90s with the same bolt pattern work?

Here is an exploded diagram of the 67-72 truck brakes. Very similar to ours in theory. The parts I am trying to find are 2028 2042 and 2A642 but I don't know what company those part numbers are for (not Ford I don't think, maybe Bendix or something) Everything else I can get at RockAuto, and cheap.

Rear Brake Exploded Diagram

Edited by occupant - 27-May-2009 at 9:56AM
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2009 at 4:29PM

I'm not much for editing size but will this view help any?

Chuck
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2009 at 5:44PM
Any carquest or napa should be able to get those parts for you.
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2009 at 6:37PM
Yeah I was hoping to stick with online. I printed out that exploded diagram and will take it with me to NAPA. There's a dozen or so Rancheros in some guy's yard up north of Whitney, I'm gonna run through there sometime this week, see if he has a brake drum he's willing to part with. If I can get the drum elsewhere, my RockAuto cart will stay under $60! And I'll be in GREAT shape to have this done this weekend.
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2009 at 5:49AM
Alan-
I've found Advanced Autoparts stocks USA Brake branded parts, USA made stuff pretty cheap.
BTW, you do good demo work! LOL
Odds are, something failed, seen that sort of destruction before on a Tempo and a truck once from old parts being reused.
What size drum, 11" or 10"?
I may have a couple spare 10" drums of a GT montego. If it's an 11", worse case if strapped, pick up an imported piece. I got lucky some time ago and scored 3 HD raybestos drums for my last elite's axle for $30 plus $40 in shipping...
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2009 at 5:11AM
Yeah it's the 10-inch, little drum, and the cheapest I can get em new online is about $43 from RockAuto and it adds about $10-11 to the shipping for my order. Puts me well over $120 at that point.

Good news is with my wife's unemployment kicking in nicely, we are caught up on the mortage, all the bills, and she gets another check next week and if I can wait the week, I can go ahead and buy a new drum. The driver side drum checks out nice, I don't even need to turn it!

Eliteman if you were close I'd be happy to buy from ya. Shipping kills ya on these so I'd rather pickup in person and really if you aren't within an hour or so of Waco or Dallas I wouldn't be able to.
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2009 at 5:58AM
ok, no problem. Last night I went to look at a '75 wagon, and there was an 11 drum, but it was junk.
I have a couple drums, I would send you one as long as you covered the shipping.
I would just need to see a picture to make sure it's the same. I have 10" drums, from a '73 Montego GT, but I also have drums off a Torino. Depending on the width, 10x2, or 10x2.5 or?
I show on Rock auto for a '76 wagon, the drums just say wagon...make sure you are getting the right size.
Would sort of suck if you got one shipped and SURPRISE it's wrong! Confused
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2009 at 9:49AM
The drums are marked 10", shoes are 2.25" wide. RockAuto is funny with their listings, it might say "4dr, station wagon", but they do also mean the 4dr AND the wagon. I called to confirm that. The two styles of brakes are 2.25" wide and 2.5" wide so as long as I do not get 2.5" police/taxi/sport brakes, I'm good.

The hardware listings are just as difficult to decipher. But I got it figured out by checking part numbers on other sites. D50 part number Bendix brake pads (and similar part numbers from other brands) are listed for wagons, but they fit anything with the smaller bolt pattern brakes according to AutoPartsFair and NAPA's sites. Also helps to see the D50 stamped on the back of the pad on my brakes.

A friend of mine out in Vegas claims he saw a dozen Torinos at a yard there while looking for parts for his '71 Econoline camper. I'll ask him to grab a tape measure and check me some drums next time he goes back. He owes me a favor, so let's hope that yard is willing to sell drums SEPERATELY unlike the yards here in Texas. They want to sell me a whole axle. And I don't want to change my axle, it's tight and clean.
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2009 at 5:28PM
Now I'm confused. My car has only 14" wheels, but I think I have 11" drums. You would think the larger drum would go with the larger 15" wheel? I've got to measure this manually.

If I do have 11x2.25 brakes, I can use TC/CV/GM drums from the 80s and 90s for cheap. RockAuto has them on closeout for $18 each, with 3 remaining. I'll hit the Elm Mott yard and see what their drums measure up like on their mountain of panthers. They want $22 per drum after core. But if they have some good ones, it's as good as new to me. Only difference is the outside diameter. Which is odd, because the Torino 11x2.25 drums are 13.7" outside diameter and the TC ones are only 13.05" outside diameter. You'd think with 14" wheels there would be no way a 13.7" drum would fit.

EDIT: OK kiddos, got my manual measurements, the shoes are 2.25" wide, the drum is 11", and the bolt pattern is 4.5".

Since RockAuto does not offer bolt pattern, shoe width, or any information whatsoever on the $43 drum, I can only assume I need the $69 drum that DOES give me this information. And it's an AC DELCO drum???

Ouchie...time to cross reference the 18B31 AC Delco part number for something else!!!

Edited by occupant - 03-June-2009 at 6:36PM
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2009 at 1:27AM
Rock Auto does indeed have all those parts, I went through it with my Cougar.
And look beyond the box.. Amazon.com has GREAT parts interchange listings on brake drums.. just use the part number. Some deduction will tell you what the drums fit.
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2009 at 5:10AM
I found some kind of website for bendix, power 21 or something like that...lemme check my history...

http://www.power-21.com/BendixPower21i/PartDetailWindow.aspx?b=B&pn=PDR0345

This is the 11" x 2.25" drum, 4.5" bolt pattern.

They have a little competing products interchange info which confirmed some of the info on RockAuto and let me know the 104345 drum for $43 WILL work. So I think I'll order two of those.

The drums on my car were OEM factory drums. At 88,000 miles! Part number D6OA-1126-B, A meaning original equipment as opposed to the D6OZ drums I occasionally find NOS on eBay and such. I now have a dozen or so part numbers to search with.

Then again, the Town Car/CV/GM drums are also 11x2.25, just with a smaller outside diameter. This makes me think it won't cover all the backing plate or might rub against it if it's too deep. I'm going to poke around the Elm Mott Pick U Part and see what comes up. I can save $25 by using the Panther drum. Just not sure if it'll work. And by now, we've budgeted fixing my car into 2 weeks from now. My wife's truck is getting a radiator, trans service, and oil change. In 2 weeks, I can order my bits, and I might as well get both drums, all new bits, and it'll cost me $166.13 shipped to do it all with the $43 Bendix 104345 drums.
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2009 at 4:52AM
Update on the brake situation, I am picking up a parts car, wagon, for $200 locally, hoping it will have the rear brake parts I need, and if not, I'll swap over the whole axle.

Why spend $166 on brake parts when I can spend $200 for a whole car and $32 for new shoes and springs and such? It'll get me a better grille, an AM-FM radio, and some other little bits I might need. And then I can part out or work on the wagon later!
 Post Reply Post Reply