The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pleased to inform you kind sir...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pleased to inform you kind sir...
    Posted: 16-June-2009 at 5:33PM
you have won the jackpot in the multinational old ass parts car lottery...

This wagon is as rough as a cob, but I probably just saved myself a thousand dollars or so.

Grille and surround - perfect
Rocker panel moldings - perfect
Bodyside moldings - one perfect, one good enough to use
Radiator shroud - not a crack or nick on it, still has CAUTION - FAN sticker!
Fenders - not a single dent, some paint issues, but nothing needing banged out!
Bumper guard rubber inserts - definitely keeping those!
Brakes - I'm taking it apart this weekend and hope to have my Torino roadworthy by Monday morning. The brakes WORK after sitting since May 1992!!!
Transmission - another FMX to add to my collection and hey, there's ANOTHER FMX laying in the cargo area complete with dipstick, tube, and converter!
Engine - 351M for sure, one cylinder head missing, but intake and carb still on engine, it won't run (mice got in the wiring and dizzy is apart) but it's a good start if I wanted to build it!
Interior - headliner falling, windshield damaged, no radio, but everything else is there and I'll get a couple door handles and need to learn how to dye an armrest (all four are uncracked and very usable, just brown instead of blue!)
Tires/wheels - 14" steel all around, left front tire is junk, right front is a bald bias play, both back tires are good Coopers and will make great spares for the sedan

It's like having my own personal junkyard for my sedan. I've never bought a parts car before. This is AWESOME!

I'll likely be selling things when I'm done getting what I want. I know someone in Texas was restoring a wagon, I'll take some pictures tomorrow when I get home from Waco, and see if you want anything. Right taillight is broken, almost everything else wagon specific is decent save for the back window weatherstripping.

IT'S GOT A MANUAL CRANK BACK WINDOW! It's freakin cool! Never used one before except in a junkyard. Love it!
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2009 at 11:33PM
Pics, pics, pics...we need pics!!!!  Damn it, I always wanted a wagon...AND a ranchero (amongst 1,000 other cars) LOL
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2009 at 4:18AM
Sounds like a GOD send. Where did you find it? I have been searching for months for misc parts that are wagon specific.  I just finished converting the ginger interior to blue on my wagon and the wagon itself is at the body shop. Let me know if you need specifics on how I cleaned and dyed my armrests shown in the photos. 

Did you say the back tailgate weatherstripping is good? If so, I would be intersted in possibly purchasing if it's for sale.

Here is a link to photos of my wagon restoration:

Edited by gpd294 - 17-June-2009 at 5:55AM
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2009 at 9:18AM
No, the weatherstripping is the ONLY bad part out back. It's all crusty and flaked away. The window works great and snugs right up to it when closed. Pictures are on SuperMotors now and I'm building the CarDomain page over the next hour or so. Car was listed for $200 on the Dallas CL in Covington, which is on 171 15 minutes north of Hillsboro. I live in Malone about 15 minutes SOUTH of Hillsboro. He delivered it to me and helped me move it around the yard for $50. It does have the same brakes and such as my car so I'll get to that Friday (I have training for a new job tomorrow or else I'd have started on it today)

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/19439/69988

I got a spare FMX transmission with the torque converter...

the '76 owner's manual I was about to spend $11 on from eBay, a bunch of receipts from an EGR transducer recall in '79, the last two registration receipts ('91 and '92)...a good enough front seat to recover in blue vinyl...

a pan full of rocker arms and head bolts (so now I know the head wasn't STOLEN so much as probably left at a machine shop unpaid) and some leftover gaskets from a carb rebuild...

Owner in '92 was a cop in Burleson, there was a donut run grocery list with other officer's names on it for a party or something. Written on the back of the envelope the recall notice came in.

I'm very happy with it. Just wish that weatherstripping was in better shape for ya. The stainless trim back there is great, just oxidized, and there are two dings on the tailgate metal itself, otherwise the back end of the car is REAL nice.

Edited by occupant - 17-June-2009 at 9:22AM
Rick727c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick727c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2009 at 11:22AM
I am interested in the grill emblem and the rear springs and the cmplete rear sway bar set up if it has one.

Thanks
Rickey
1975MontegoMX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1975MontegoMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2009 at 11:33AM
dude you should get it running, that would be a great beater/parts hauler.

George
1975 Mercury Montego MX /351 M/
1986 Ford Crown Victoria /302/"5.0"
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2009 at 12:29PM
I was thinking of putting it on the road at some point, considering how complete it is, and how it seemed to be well cared for until the head came off and disappeared. But I sure don't have the money to do it anytime soon.

When I lift up the back I'll get the spring codes and see what condition the sway bar is in, but I'd really rather not pull the springs or anything that would keep it from being able to roll around the yard. After I build a garage or carport, I'll want this thing behind it so it won't be visible from the street. Then I can pull components that would require me to put it on blocks or whatever. But by then, I may be able to put the money into getting it running. Might be a good test mule for installing a 4.6L/4R70W from a late model CVPI. Then when I need a powertrain for the sedan, I'll already know what I'm doing.

This would rock for parts pickup. Black with chrome Ranger wheels and white letter tires, dark tint all around, it would definitely look good. And give me an excuse to fix the air and make it a family car too.
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2009 at 1:18PM
Alan, you definetly scored! How I missed that one I don't know. Ouch Congrats none the less. Clap We are practically neighbors being I'm near Dallas. If you ever want to part with her please let me know.

I am planning on piecing together a few tailgate weatherstrips as mine is in fair shape just missing some of the "pinch fasteners" inside the rubber seal that are rotted away. I'll have to do a patch job until I'm able to find an NOS piece.

One last thing, how does the drivers side back cargo area plastic cover just below the long window look? Is it dry rotted? I had to repair mine as seen in the photos, which came out good, but it's not original. It's hard to match the same texture. Like I said earlier, if you are willing to part with any of these two items I'd be willing to purchase.

Good luck on your project! Clap

Edited by gpd294 - 18-June-2009 at 3:51AM
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2009 at 1:24PM
$200.  All I would get up here in NH is a pile of rust chips for $200!!!! 
NICE SCORE!  Congrats.  I still need to convince the wife we "need" either a Ranchero or Torino Wagon.  She's going to HATE you!!!!! LOL  (kidding)...
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2009 at 1:24PM
Best picture I have so far of that panel is this:

I'll take another shot Friday morning when the light is better for it, right now the sun is in a bad spot to try again. I train for work up in Arlington tomorrow so can't do it then, I'll be leaving here before sunrise to make it on time. It'll give me a chance to move that transmission and check out the second row seat and see if the seatbelts work better than mine. I think that panel is undamaged except for sun fading (it's a lighter tan than the right one, but I think it's original to the car) and some light scuffing right where that transmission is.

I'll try to carefully pull the rear weatherstripping and see how the clips look then, too.
PatsPOS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatsPOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2009 at 2:31PM
occupant...the spare transmission you have sure looks like a C-6 for an FE-series engine.  The C-4 and the FMX has a removable bellhousing, where the C-6 has an integral bell.  Also, I'd say judging by the fact that your trans has a fixed yoke, it's most likely out of a pickup truck.

Just things I figure you might like to know...Smile
Pat

Edited by PatsPOS - 17-June-2009 at 2:32PM
'75 460 Gran Torino Sport (14.04 @ 97 MPH)
'91 Crown Vic (18.09 @ 75 MPH)
'89 300 F-150 (18.37 @ 73 MPH)
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2009 at 12:22AM
Interesting. I'll definitely have to measure the space between the top bolts and check the part number. A part number was on the transmission part of the bellhousing, right next to the input shaft, I don't know if that's for the trans or the bellhousing. I want to say it is D4AA-0150-A, something like that, but I can't remember for certain. I'll write it down in the morning when I take some better pictures.
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2009 at 3:58AM
Alan, any chance you'll be available this coming weekend in order to drive down or is work still kickin' your butt???

Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2009 at 6:05AM
Awsome to see stuff like this getting used instead of just crushed like the enviro-freaks want done to ALL our rides.
Hey, while I am thinking, what was the recall paperwork?
I'm just curious if there was documentation on what the recall was for.
I like seeing stuff like that as info in case any of us run into problems on something. 
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
72sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2009 at 9:21AM
If its got the third seat I'm interested in it.  I'm also interested in the hard plastic arm rest bases if they aren't cracked.
Tom
1972 Gran Torino Sport 4Spd
1974 Montego wagon "GT" with GT hood, correct buckets
seats, console, and floor shift
2013 Focus 5 speed- Daily driver
interceptor460 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote interceptor460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2009 at 10:17PM
Correct me if I am wrong. Are you going to be selling parts from your wagon? I my need interior pieces or one big part that I realy need.
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2009 at 4:00PM
Aw heck I've been driving my life away with this, they got me home to Texas but I leave this weekend for Stephenville for three weeks. That and I now work 7 days a week instead of 6 because other drivers aren't getting in enough hours! I'm working the full 48 and now it'll be 56 and I'm loving it at $11/hr!!!

I want gpd294 to have first dibs since he's local, and I think you wanted that cargo panel and some weatherstripping. If you want to come down in the morning, I start driving at 10am Saturday and Sunday, and then Sunday night I'm headed out to Stephenville but can hang out if Sunday night works better for ya. I get home around 6pm daily. Still interested in seeing what kinda blue armrests you can make for me out of these. That picture I posted a couple weeks ago in this thread shows some of the weatherstripping you were asking about, too. If the clips are what you need, careful removal may keep them in good enough shape to use again.

72sport, this thing has a PRISTINE brown vinyl third seat and it all works fine, if a little sticky from sitting 17 years unused. There is a plastic bezel around the handle to let the floor up to get to the seat that is missing but otherwise it's all there. Mice didn't get inside this car from what I can tell, only under the hood to eat up dizzy wires and vacuum hoses. I will be using at least two soft armrest parts and if gpd294 doesn't need them, the bases are all decent and I can take pictures if you need them. Brown in color and hard plastic if I remember right.

Rick727c, I would like to keep the grille whole but the emblem is in the same shape as the one on my sedan so I'm willing to part with that one. On both of them all the red is washed out to amber so will need retouching. The car does not have a rear sway bar that I can tell, it's a pretty basic 351M with no towing equipment and small brakes so I wasn't expecting it to have one. And I wouldn't want to sell the springs, this thing sags bad with only a transmission sitting in back, I imagine they are pretty worn out. That and I need them on there to move it around.

1975MontegoMX I was thinking about it but it is pretty far from roadworthy. I would need a donor powertrain or at the very least refresh the FMX and find a cylinder head for the M, then rebuild it too since it's been sitting open for so long. It might not even be more than a boat anchor now. Maybe I could trade the C6 trans for a known good 351W/351M long block? Who knows...but right now I would rather get a Suburban for family hauling, maybe after two of these kids move out a wagon would be more appropriate and there are still many serviceable ones around, like that gorgeous lemon yellow one keeps popping up on the Portland CL!

interceptor460, after I get the bits I need for my sedan and a few other items sell, I plan to build a 8x12 storage shed out here and if nothing else, the doors, front clip, bumpers, glass, and some other bits will get stripped off and saved. I don't want to scrap it until it's a bare shell and everything that can be sold is gone or put away for future use on my sedan or future sales. It'll be this fall before I get to most of the salvage operation and probably Thanksgiving before I get that shed built. Too dang hot to do that in 90-100 degree weather with no shade!

For now I won't be touching the sedan until I get back from Stephenville because I won't need it until then, the brakes shouldn't take more than a day, and I have to get my metal plates since the paper tag went out. Good news is only $102 to register and title it once it's drivable again! I can't wait to get back behind the wheel and ooze around, the 300-some miles I DID put on it so far were heavenly and I felt 17 again with a big blue interior-ed Ford mushmobile beneath me! It can creak and pop and knock and ping and squeak and squeal all it wants, the feeling is simply AWESOME!

I'm gonna go all Walt Kowalski on the world, too. Gotta get a matching pickup to go with it. Wish I had skads of cash to buy the actual movie truck off that lot it's supposed to be sitting at for sale.
72sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2009 at 3:32AM
Originally posted by occupant occupant wrote:

72sport, this thing has a PRISTINE brown vinyl third seat and it all works fine, if a little sticky from sitting 17 years unused. There is a plastic bezel around the handle to let the floor up to get to the seat that is missing but otherwise it's all there. Mice didn't get inside this car from what I can tell, only under the hood to eat up dizzy wires and vacuum hoses. I will be using at least two soft armrest parts and if gpd294 doesn't need them, the bases are all decent and I can take pictures if you need them. Brown in color and hard plastic if I remember right.

PM me with what you need for the seat and armrest bases.  I don't need the soft part of the armrest, just the hard plastic bases.   A couple of mine are cracked.
Tom
interceptor460 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote interceptor460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2009 at 5:15AM
Don't get rid of the front bench seat.
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2009 at 5:56AM
Alan, sorry to hear that your workin' so much, but let me check with the Mrs and I'll shoot for early Saturday morning before you head out. Thanks again for 1st dibs.  It doesn't seem that I will be needing anything the other guys are asking about.

occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2009 at 3:54PM
gpd294, pleasure to meet you this morning on my way out to the truck, and glad you got what you needed. The armrests you did look incredible and I can't wait to put them into service!

72Sport, the armrest bases in the rear are decent and the driver side is good but the passenger front has a chunk missing. I'll send all 4 if you'd rather or just the 3 good ones, and I'll double check their condition after I remove them from the doors and send pictures if requested. Let me know what they're worth to you, $30 shipped for all 4 sounds fair to me.

interceptor460, I plan to have the sedan's seat faces redone in vinyl so the wagon's seats won't be touched (except gpd294 was all over the third row). I may use a seatbelt here and there, though. I'm really hoping I can get a shed built to store bits.
72sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2009 at 4:56PM
Originally posted by occupant occupant wrote:

72Sport, the armrest bases in the rear are decent and the driver side is good but the passenger front has a chunk missing. I'll send all 4 if you'd rather or just the 3 good ones, and I'll double check their condition after I remove them from the doors and send pictures if requested. Let me know what they're worth to you, $30 shipped for all 4 sounds fair to me. .

My Pass. side front is my worst, but I think the pass side rear is the same as the front.  If they are then that sounds good.
Tom
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-July-2009 at 12:18AM
yes, all 4 are the same on 4 door models.
 Post Reply Post Reply