The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

four wheel disc brakes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nemtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: four wheel disc brakes
    Posted: 18-April-2004 at 7:21AM

I am doing a frame-up restore on a 72 fastback Gran Torino and having a very difficult time finding good brakes.

I am really wanting some good looking stainless rotors with 2 piston calabers for the front, and a some-what matching rear disc brake with single piston.

I can find many kits for the rear, but nothing for the front that would match.

I am very close to breaking down and just sticking with the stock front brakes with powder coated calibers,  but would like to atleast find a stock type stainless rotor.

Does anyone have any experiance with this?

GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2004 at 1:50AM

Don't know of any good front brake setups. The only thing I can suggest is a set of rotors and a matching backing plate from a mid-70's LTD, which are the 12 inch rotors instead of the 11 inch rotor. The calipers and pads are the same, as are the bearings when compared to the 75/76 Torinos, however the rotor is a bit bigger. The only problem to that is the bolt pattern is 5x5 so you'd want to change the back to 5x5 also, which may be difficult since the newer rear disc brake kits (like the Explorer types) are 5x4.5 but there were some factory rear disc brakes from some LTD's of that era.

Let me know if you find anything that would work. It is a problem I have not yet solved.

Regards,

Scott Eklund
Webmaster

Scott Eklund

Webmaster
JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2004 at 8:29PM

Couple of things, first, a good machine shop should be able to re drill your rotors for 5x4.5 (that's what I did)  (you'll also need to turn the hub down a little, you'll see what I mean if you compare them side by side) It only cost me $35 for the pair..  You also may want to get the LTD/Tbird/MarkIV brake lines as mine seem awful tight with the caliper relocated..  For rear discs there are plenty of options ranging from Explorer/crown vic salvage yard specials to Baer and Wilwood big brakes.  I am going to be toying with an idea I have to get 13" front rotors on my car, but it's going to require custom caliper brackets..  A better caliper and good fluid and pads on the 12" big car rotors shoudl be plenty for most street nuts..  (but woudl still require custom brackets)

ANyone else have any ideas?

Jim

1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st
The Torino Kid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Torino Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2004 at 8:50AM

try this link i was thinking of using factory stuff

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2003/11/torinoreardiscs/i ndex.shtml

Edited by The Torino Kid
1973 Gran Torino Sport CJ 351

'Q' code 63R body
Nemtorino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nemtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2004 at 6:34PM

WOW I did not realize you had to take the entire freeking axle to swap to disc brakes. I plan on removing the axle for some cleaning and paint anyway, but the last several times i want tresure hunting there where no rear disc brake 9" to be found. every lincoln i find has been striped. I think i am just going to get my front calibers rebuilt and powder coated. If i cannot locate a lincoln rear to do the same with i will probaly get one of thoses rear brake conversions from SSBC. they are relitively cheeply priced. They finaly told me that they have a SS sloted rotor for the car, but no calibers for the front. I emailed them back to get details (atleast a part number), but if they are as quick as responding as last time, it will probaly be two weeks.

Thanks for everyones help

Post Reply Post Reply