The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New pics of the '72 Torino Restomod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New pics of the '72 Torino Restomod
    Posted: 20-September-2009 at 1:53PM
I know restomods aren't everyone's cup of tea but here's the latest pics of mine (she's still a work in progress - but like women they all are):

(along with pics of my GT500)

crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2009 at 2:51PM
Whoa.  I love that.  Nice GT500, too.  I like your restomod because it's not too radical on the outside.  Nice work!
~Chris
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
Classicfitness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Classicfitness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2009 at 3:10AM
Amazing shots.  Can you post more?  I would love to see your car from the side.  Wheels are 17"?
'72 GTS 351-4b Gold Glow

'75 Elite 400 Polar White

My car blog: www.fordtorino72.blogspot.com

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2009 at 3:57AM
That car is BEAUTIFUL!!

Just a question...
Why calling it a RESTO-MOD?

I do not see anything on it that says "RESTO-MOD"

I do however see a beautifully restored machine.

The mustang is nice as well.
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Hey Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2009 at 4:05AM
Yes they are 17" wheels.  There are some other pics in the link I posted above and you don't have to be a member of svtperformance.com to view the pics in the link.  Here's a pic of the car taken with a crappy cell phone camera:

Hey Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2009 at 4:12AM
Cowboy - just because some people prefer our cars restored to original specs (which I like as well) but since my car lived a good part of it's life as a circle dirt track car with no interior and a 50 gallon fuel cell in the trunk I decided not to try and restore it to original specs.  Thanks for the compliments. 

I did have someone ask me if the purevision car was what inspired me to do this but the reality is my car was mostly done (and painted this color) long before I'd even heard of the purevision car.  I really did like the purevision car though and wished I had the money to do some of the modifications that they did to theirs.
Hey Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2009 at 4:36AM
Here's a pic I didn't post in the other thread that some of you might like:

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2009 at 4:48AM
Hey Z,
it is a BEAUTIFUL CAR!
I for one would like to see some pics of the interior, underhood and more!
The term resto-mod "I THINK" is reserved for an old car with new technology.
For instance... the 69 Charger with a full Viper drive train.
The orange mustang on the cover of August 2009 "Modified Mustangs and Fords" is the ultimate definition of RESTO MOD. THAT THING IS GORGEOUS!

Sorry, stepping down off my high horse!
DUDE, your car is BEAUTIFUL!
Tell us about the paint!!!
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
GranTorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2009 at 4:56AM
Nice job matching the Torino look to your Mustang keeping all the original GTS lines. I personally like the looks of straight back exhaust tips myself, however I would consider the NASCAR style exhaust like they had on the Fast & Furious Torino. 

Dr. Gas sells those frame clearance tubes. 

Hey Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2009 at 5:08AM

cowboy - well I did add an aftermarket a/c system, a 3g alternator and some other things to update it a bit, but nothing radical like a modular motor.

The paint is a BMW M3 Blue that in a few pictures looks almost purple but in most light has a nice metallic flake and is much more blue than purple.

Here's some pics of the engine bay (I need a new set of ford blue spark plug wires) and the before/after interior as well as a pic of the car when I first got it:

Hey Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2009 at 5:12AM
GranTorinoMan - you're right I don't really like the exhaust tips but the guy who did the exhaust work for me did that without asking me about it.  I'm redoing the entire exhaust system this winter so that will be changed.
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2009 at 5:23AM
be nice when you disassemble and sell it here on GTS.org
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2009 at 6:08AM
Originally posted by Hey Z Hey Z wrote:

OK...I want those rims...LOL...that is what the white '73 GTS is going to end up ridign on, except I am using Aero 15x10's...probably on all 4 corners with 295/50's...
That car is damn sexy in the silver...I like your car in blue...but the old school centerline knock-off's and silver just works for me...
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2009 at 6:36AM

I am not worried what others think of my car but I have had this car so long I wanted to change it. Funny thing is a person could always reverse what I did. I like to change things that improve the performance and inhance the looks. Hell never did like 5mph bumper but now it works for me since I tucked it in and sectioned it. your car is awesome!! Like the look!

Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

"Never complain Never explain" Henry Ford
Classicfitness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Classicfitness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2009 at 7:51AM
Wow, thanks for all the pictures and info :)
It's like an early Christmas for me. Hehe
You did an amazing job with the inside.
'72 GTS 351-4b Gold Glow

'75 Elite 400 Polar White

My car blog: www.fordtorino72.blogspot.com

crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2009 at 8:28AM
Wow....NICE...

galhetas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote galhetas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2009 at 9:30AM
very very nice i hope that when i`m finished with station it would look that cool.
nice job.

ricardo
drive fast ,drive ford
mule323 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mule323 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2009 at 12:47PM
Now you have put me in a moral dilema! Seeing this is making me completely reconsider putting the laser stripe back on my 73 after I paint it! Congrats man, that 72 is smokin hot!
             (Steve)
73 G.T.S. Fastback, 351C, C6
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2009 at 1:58PM
I want those rims.  What are those?  Now I am rethinking the Torque Thrust II's.  But 17's look damn sexy on that body...

Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2009 at 2:04PM
Originally posted by Hey Z Hey Z wrote:

Yes they are 17" wheels.  There are some other pics in the link I posted above and you don't have to be a member of svtperformance.com to view the pics in the link.  Here's a pic of the car taken with a crappy cell phone camera:

17x10's in the back?? What tire size? Very cool!!

Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

"Never complain Never explain" Henry Ford
Hey Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2009 at 2:32PM
Guys I forgot the wheels are 18's not 17's like I stated earlier.  They are 18x11 in the back and the wheel is called Wild Thang and are made by Bonspeed.

I used a huge 305/45/18 nitto drag radial in the back and I love it because it has so much sidewall.  I hate big wheels on muscle cars with rubber band looking tires with no sidewall so in the back and the front there is plenty of sidewall.

If I ever get bored with those wheels these are what I'm getting next - Rushforth Rated X:

crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2009 at 4:08PM
those are cool, but I love the wild thangs!  Typical 4 1/2" offset?

haw_y_n_merc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haw_y_n_merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2009 at 6:09PM
Awesome car dude!!! Restomods rock, brings out your own creativity, and your creativity and talent are unreal with this car!
Hey Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2009 at 2:09AM
Crispy I would need to find my notes on the offset we went with and I've had these wheels for at least 3 years so I'm not sure where those notes would be.  We measured the backspace, measured again, and then measured again to make sure it would fit pefectly and it did.  There's actually quite a bit of room for a big tire in the back on these cars if you take advantage of the proper offset.
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2009 at 3:30AM
Your car just looks clean!!!!!!!!! Very nice work!
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
zack4949 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zack4949 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2010 at 8:37AM
What rims and tires did you have on the blue torino? I want to know tire sizes please, and brand.

brian
BBarnard
Hey Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2010 at 8:45AM
Originally posted by zack4949 zack4949 wrote:

What rims and tires did you have on the blue torino? I want to know tire sizes please, and brand.

brian

305/45/18 nitto drag radial (NT555R) in the back - not sure on the fronts and currently the car is in storage at a relatives until I finish moving but I'll try to remember to get the sizes on the front.  I know the fronts are also Nitto, but are not drag radials, just have the same tread pattern.
BBPeik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBPeik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2010 at 3:15AM
Car looks great. I love the M3 blue. That is one of the best blues out there. Real nice job on the car.
Brendan
1973 Gran Torino Sport 357 Cleveland FMX 3.50 auburn pro posi 1969 Black Jade
zack4949 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zack4949 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2010 at 3:31AM
I'd love to show you my 533 fastback blue 72. It looks alot like yours, it's a torque monster also. Here's my formal roof show car being restored at a local shop. It's gonna have lambo 130 degree doors, pivot swivel chevelle seats and 8 inch travel air ride. It's a 351CJ with upgrades. 
brian
BBarnard
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2010 at 8:39AM
Originally posted by zack4949 zack4949 wrote:

I'd love to show you my 533 fastback blue 72. It looks alot like yours, it's a torque monster also. Here's my formal roof show car being restored at a local shop. It's gonna have lambo 130 degree doors, pivot swivel chevelle seats and 8 inch travel air ride. It's a 351CJ with upgrades. 
brian
Tell me about the Lambo doors!!
What kit?
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>