The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Torino Revisted,80's pics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Torino Revisted,80's pics
    Posted: 30-September-2009 at 4:13PM
After seeing the thread on the 73 Gran torino now and then, I dug out the photos of my first 73 torino and it has a few shots of my 72 Gran Torino Wagon in them.
now if i would have known now back then both these cars would still be mine as the wagon I restored for my grandfather and he gave it to me and the interior was mint.
The 73 Torino was a rust bucket plan jane Torino I got real cheap as a hotrod project 302 2v with bench seat,black interior with plastic grille all the way across the front.No headlight buckets and seperate grille and why when my uncle gave me his 74 Ranchero with the rotted frame I took the nose and doors off it and put it on my Torino as the parts where rust and dent free.I also got the perfect uncracked black dash pad from the Ranchero as the one in the 73 was trashed.I aquired a perfect rust free decklid and rear valance and then I proceeded to cut the quarters off the Ranchero and piece in the rotted quarters on my 73 torino as they where rusted bad along the bottom and wheel wells.I then ripped out the bench seat and got some buckets from a friends Camaro parts car and installed a Grant GT steering wheel and later a B&M ratchet shifter which I still have with the 351C I got from the 74 Ranchero as well but the C6 tranny is long gone when I junked the car like an idiot in 1993 when I met my ex wife and we moved to Georgia which lasted a month and had to move right back to Florida as I couldn't find work there.My Torino was gone as I had no place to store it and already had to tow my 74 F100 to Georgia so I had no way to take another car with me and why I yanked the motor and told a friend to take the car to the junk yard for me.Doh!what a stupid thing to do as I could have rebuilt the blown C6 tranny and cut off the pieced and patched quarters and installed the half quarters they sell today and replaced the rear floor pan that started to rust out and would have had a mint 73/74 Torino.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2009 at 4:18PM
ok here are the photos of when I first got my 73 and a few shots of the 72 wagon in them with the 73.this was back in 1987

originally a Gold Metallic Torino as you see with the interior removed and the bucket seats I was installing with the Grant GT steering wheel

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2009 at 4:24PM
rust free decklid installed and red like I was gonna paint the car

patching the quarters with the Ranchero metal

Edited by 73 ProStreetTorino - 30-September-2009 at 4:26PM
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2009 at 4:33PM
bodywork almost done and in primer

painted jambs ,doors and front end from Ranchero before finsihing the rear of car

car half painted and half primer in the winter snow with Keystone mag wheels
front view looks like a Starsky & Hutch car sitting in the snow
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2009 at 4:44PM
I have more photos with the car in Arizona in 1992 when it had the 351C in it the pictures above still had the 302 2v in it  and were taken in NewJersey where I lived for 2 years and my original hometown area but I moved to Florida in 1984 after graduating high school and tried Jersey again for a few years in 87& 88 and where I got this car.
 I moved back to Florida at the end of 1988 due to being laid off from the Chevrolet dealer as a auto painter and couldn't find work so I moved back to Florida.
 I later tried a small town in AZ called Benson,east of Tuscan and north of Tombstone off
I-10,lived there for 6 months and  moved back to Florida where I have been pretty much since ecept for a month in Georgia in 1993 and why the car was sent to the junkyard.
Now it has been 22 years since I got that car and 16 years ago when I got rid of it.
Wish I still had it today

Edited by 73 ProStreetTorino - 30-September-2009 at 4:51PM
Classicfitness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Classicfitness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2009 at 3:25AM
Very interesting thread.  Thx for sharing :)
In the first pic, the original blue of the car seems to be a nice looking color.
'72 GTS 351-4b Gold Glow

'75 Elite 400 Polar White

My car blog: www.fordtorino72.blogspot.com

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2009 at 1:58PM
it was actually solid blue green and no metallic,back then I wanted the factory red like the S&H car and others had.My 73 Gran Torino I just got actually is that factrory red but has been repainted and the color is off it's more maroon shade of the color then the bright oranges shade of the red.the only thing is this time I want to paint it black,haha it's funny back then I had an originally Gold metallic car and wanted it red and now I got a red one and want it black,It seems like I'm always changing the factory colors,but not like this is a rare #'s matching car so no big deal as it will be rare when i'm done or one of a kind I should say.I had lots of fun in my first one but this car I have now will have alot more then i could ever afford to do back then.after this it will be time to get a 72 Sportroof as I always loved those but could never afford one and that is fixing to change as I plan on starting another business as i have some qualified help for the new venture and wont have to do it all myself like when I had my restroration shop

Edited by 73 ProStreetTorino - 01-October-2009 at 2:00PM
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2010 at 4:24AM
thought I would dig this thread out for the new members or those who haven't seen it
73 Ranchero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 Ranchero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2010 at 5:04AM
1st Torino pix from 1979
Bob
73 Ranchero

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2010 at 6:48AM
I had a friend who had one that color.I was jealous cause he had a fastback Torino,but he ending up selling it.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2010 at 8:38PM
Anyone else who has old Torino pics feel free to post them
RPM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RPM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2010 at 5:30AM
There is a Pic Thread started and soon to be Stickied. Tongue
1974 PRO STREET TORINO. Everything has been changed. 466 Ford/C6 - 3000 Stall/Narrowed 9 Inch - 4.11 Gears.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2010 at 8:42AM
well I started this thread a while back and thought if others wanted to add old photos they could,not present day photos,just yesteryear photos,but it don't matter I just was posting this as it was my second Torino,but first one I built for myself.it's long gone except for the motor and B&Mshifter which I saved all these years.
Skinnys Garage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skinnys Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2010 at 10:27AM
If you're looking for '80s pics, here's the very first pic I took of my car. I had already started changing it, so I don't have any completely stock pics. This one is from the summer of '81 a few weeks after I got it. I'd blacked out the grille, the lower body and bought some 14X7 slots with lug nuts from an ad in the paper for $25. I had a new set of G-60-14's mounted up at the local Fleet store because the 400 eliminated the stock tires. I'd like to forget, but the pic also shows my full set of new white mudflaps with "FORD" in black letters.Cool

Scott -'73 Gran Torino Brougham

Past Torino's -'73 Q-code GTS, '76 Original PS-122 S&H, '73 H-code GTS, '73 Ranchero
        '71 Cobra 351 Auto, '70 351C Brougham 2dr HT, '71 351C Ranchero
albo74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2010 at 1:05PM
"keep your eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel "

Edited by albo74 - 03-April-2010 at 1:08PM
albos73gts
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2010 at 1:24PM
see this thread still has usefulness.now not everyone had a Torino in the 80's,so if old photos from the 90's will do,keep them coming
albo74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2010 at 2:11PM

Pro street,  that is an early 80's photo, in my 74. the car is the same , I'm not , thanks for the thought ,I could use another 10 years

albos73gts
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2010 at 2:29PM
oh I wasn't talking about your photo,just if others read this thread and they didn't have a Torino in the 80's or wasn't old enough to drive back then,that even pics from the 90's are kewl.didn't want to exclude the younger guys..I actually had my car till 1993 and still have a few photos but my internet is down so I can't scan and upload them right now.I ended up stripping the nose and doors in 92 when I was in Arizona and put gray sealer on the whole car.I was happy to have the whole car one color even though it wasn't painted.I sure miss that car and why I had to have another but never thought I would end up buying 2.
 Post Reply Post Reply