The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Poking around craigslist-recent finds?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Poking around craigslist-recent finds?
    Posted: 09-October-2009 at 6:04AM
Found a couple cars for sale in Oklahoma, and Kansas
Sorry no links yet, but doing random searches in all the cities that come up.
Oklahoma, there is a guy selling a 1972 GTS, no drivetrain, $1200 obo. Body looks clean.

Kansas, REALLY clean 1974 4 door, with fender skirts!! LOL $1000

I was poking around trying to find a fender for airman, and found some stuff.
Post your recent finds on CL, let's have some fun.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2009 at 7:55AM

I know this isn't a Torino, but I've always been fascinated by the body lines on the 72/73 Montego GTs.  How difficult do you think it is to restore one?  The Montego website doesn't look like it's been updated for a while.  Very low numbers on the GT (5820 total for 72).  This car eventually sold for $900 or so dollars in Atlanta, Georgia.  351CJ with four speed no less.  Here's the link:

1972 GTS 351CJ-4V black/black
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2009 at 10:07AM
Funny you mention the Montego GT, that's another favorite of mine, too.  And the wife likes it!  I have no idea on the availability of parts on those, but I would say finding one ORIGINAL and all there is hard.  One went on ebay last week for $2500, all original, clean, and with 1 front fender crunched (did not look like it would be difficult to fix).  I was crying.
There's a '72 GTS Q on Hemmings in the Carolinas, but I am pretty sure its a scam.  $2500, looks clean, but they only list a Yahoo address. I emailed them immediately and asked them for a phone # so we could talk (my 73 is lonely), but no response.  You have to watch out, especially on CL for scammers that will not give you their number.  This looks like a new attempt.  If they contact me I will do the drive (12 hours), it looks very restorable, but I don't think they'll call me or send me their number...
I did find a LOW mileage 4-door '73 in NH CL asking $2500, with 38k miles original on it, one small spot of rust on the rear quarter.  Didn't see it, but the pics looked REALLY clean.
Since this week is my first day back to work in 9 months, I am watching what I do.  I would stretch it for that '72 Q, though!
There was another 4 door '73 in western MA on CL, copper with a NICE 2-tone white/tan interior with 44,000 miles for $2400, but after it sat for a couple of months, it was pulled (sold?).
Also in Western MA, there was a '72 351W GTS FB, green, solid (fairly) for only $1000!  I was so damn tempted, but I wasn't working yet.  My wife better watch out! LOL
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2009 at 6:09PM
SCAM-O-RAMA!!!  JACKPOT!!!  Stay clear of this Hemmings car unless you want to lose $2200. Angry I will be notifying Hemmings so they can pull the ad.  I got a response to that $2200 GTS Q code from N Carolina, and the scumbag had the balls to US the US military as an excuse for scamming.  This is typical, they never provide a phone number and the car is "not where they live"(NC)  but "somewher else"(AZ).  They also insist that they will include shipping with the $2200 price tag.  Here was the guys answer, which I will be reporting to Yahoo as well:

Hi,

I am selling the car because I have no use for it until December. Currently I am in the army and my current location is Ft. Lauderale, Florida navy station. In two weeks I will fly out to Iraq and I will remain there until the 1st of December. The vehicle's price is $2200 (I know it's really cheap but we need cash money for a new house downpayment and during this financial crisis you can't sell anything for it's real value). My work here is highly confidential so I can use the phone only for a family emergency.

I am from Raleigh/NC but since I'll be gone for a couple of months, the car is located at my property in Green Valley/AZ, garage kept. We are willing to pay the shipping and handling fees and the total for the car, including shipping, will remain $2200. The delivery will take from 3 to 5 days to arrive at your doorstep, depending on your current location and I already found a local shipping company which is not so expensive for shipping within the US. My wife will take care of the shipment and of the paperwork. I have the clear title.

Here you have some info about it:

ORIGINAL 1972 Ford Torino Sport, 2S in very good condition-this is the perfect car for restoration. I have inspection papers, warranty facts booklet, consumer information paperwork, emission systems paperwork, operating manual for radio system, Torino Owner's Manual, Owner's warranty identification card, touch up compound. I have taken this car to a mechanic and he tells me that it will need a few minor things including: a complete tune-up, there is an exhaust leak on a manifold gasket; on the front driver's side steel brake line has a small hole in it which will need to be replaced (the brakes do work but it leaks a little), valve cover gaskets need replacement. Other than that the car is in really good running condition. The mechanic told me that this is an all matching number car-nothing has been replaced or taken away from it. The original AC works well. It has an 8 track AM/FM PHELCO system. There is one small seam rip on the driver's side front seat backrest which will be a very easy repair. The floorboards and trunk are solid and never been repaired.  The carpet is good but needs to be vacuumed.  The headliner is in good condition. The only thing that is missing is the dome light lens. All gauges including the tach work and there are no dummy lights. The body has very little surface rust-no holes. This is a true southern vehicle in very clean condition. It has a V8 351 4 Barrel-I was told it is a Cleveland motor. Another cool feature is that this has the horn on the inside rim of the steering wheel-not a bar around the inside. This car will make a fantastic restoration project.

Write me back if you need any other information or if you have other questions.

Thank you very much for your interest!
Andrew

stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2009 at 1:18AM
I replied to an ad for a 1969 Cougar convertible on Kijiji in Halifax, Nova Scotia this week also figuring it was a scam but wanted to know more. Does the reply look familiar?

Hi,

The car is still for sale. I am selling it because I have no use for it until December. Currently I am in the army and my current location is Ft. Lauderale, Florida navy station. In two weeks I will fly out to Iraq and I will remain there until the 1st of December. The vehicle's price is $2400 (I know it's really cheap but we need cash money for a new house downpayment and during this financial crisis you can't sell anything for it's real value). My work here is highly confidential so I can use the phone only for a family emergency.

I am from Halifax/NS but since I'll be gone for a couple of months, the car is located at my property in Wetaskiwin/AB, garage kept. We are willing to pay the shipping and handling fees and the total for the car, including shipping, will remain $2400. The delivery will take from 3 to 5 days to arrive at your doorstep, depending on your current location and I already found a local shipping company which is not so expensive for shipping within the canadian territory. My wife will take care of the shipment and of the paperwork. I have the clear title.

Here you have some info about it: Well cared for, always stored inside during winters. This car is very solid with no rust, it looks very  tidy overall, is admired whereever I stop. Drives very strong.. The car was disassembled approximately 10 years ago and resprayed - the paint is very nice. The air conditioning was removed and discarded. The convertible top is beginning to get tired, but is not ripped, is very solid and doesn’t leak. The car was thoroughly safety inspected during July, 2009, and needs absolutely nothing. Some of the work completed since 2006 includes new power Brake Booster/Servo; remove entire interior (including dash), sandblast and paint floors; replace all underlay and carpeting (carpet was musty); replace power roof cylinder(hydraulic fluid had leaked onto carpet), new underlay and \liner in trunk, spare tire cover, light protectors, etc…; replace door/window felts, rubbers for roof and window seals; new wood steering wheel; rechrome front bumper; replace brake hoses; new carberator. This car needs absolutely nothing.. Drivetrain is original 351W with automatic transmission and runs strong - burns no oil. This car is a reliable, ready to drive convertible that needs nothing.

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 8.5.421 / Virus Database: 270.14.5/2419 - Release Date: 10/07/09 05:18:00

Edited by stanman - 10-October-2009 at 1:20AM
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2009 at 4:09AM
Yeah, but mine was signed "Andrew", it's got to be real!!! LOL  The sad thing is, some people will fall for this (much less than a couple of years ago) and get swindled.
I reported this to Yahoo and Hemmings so they can pull it.

~Chris

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2009 at 5:21AM
WOW!

Glad you both caught that!

Army in Ft Lauderdale? NOT!
From NC but the car is home in AZ? NOT!
Confidential so no phone #? YA RIGHT!

Good catch!
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2009 at 6:11AM
Sorry to disappoint you Chris Wink, but I missed copying the end of the reply. It said;

" You can see more pictures of this car by going to:
http://flickcabin.com/public/viewset/12242

Write me back if you need any other information or if you have other questions.

Thank you very much for your interest!
Andrew "

This stuff pops up on Kijiji all the time. I always report them as fraud, as I'm sure others do also, and they disappear pretty quickly. This one was gone in less than a day. I always hope that people won't be gullible enough to fall for this stuff, but it must work sometimes or the scumbags wouldn't keep trying.

Stan
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2009 at 8:31AM
Yeah, mine also had a link, but I didn't bother copying it in, I figured the guy didn't need any free advertising. What pisses me off is that he was using the military to pull on heart strings. Angry
Scumbag.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2009 at 2:52PM
haha the laugh is on you I just bought the car in AZ for $2200 and met Andreww who lives in Ft.Lauderdale as it's only an Hour south of me so I personally took him the cash and the car is on the way.

some say scammers some say not and
I say I was just BSing as it's got to be a scam.Email him back and tell him you have a friend locally in Florida who will bring him cash down to Ft.Lauderdale and he has friends also in AZ that will pick up the car same day.

lets see what that reply will be,Oh I had the car shipped to Nova Scotia as the did a temporary reassignment before i'm shipped to Iraq so I had the Military fly it on a transport to the base,LOL
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2009 at 2:56PM
BTW The Montego is Mercury's equivilent to the Torino and the roof,floors, doorsand decklid are the same as Ford Torino's
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2009 at 3:54PM
the doors are not interchangeable, the torino has an arched body line.
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2009 at 9:21PM
But the Elite doors will interchange.
I recall this 1972 Montego GT I found 2 hours from me-
I was all set to bring it home last year, but ultimately, I passed the info on the GT to a few other guys and lost track of it.
My issue was it was a 97% complete car, the underside and trunk were solid, but the rockers were gone. doors gone. the B pillars were gone. The quarters were going to need so much metal work.
It was a shame though, but at the same rate...not a 351c...not a 4 barrel...not a 4 speed.
It was a 2 barrel 351w car, and while I was thinking man, a 1972 Montego GT...I could not justify spending the $700 asking tag.
I paid less than that for the 1973 GTS, and that car was a running driving car [before the PO took the engine apart} plus I can get parts for the Torino.

There is a 1972 Ranchero for sale north of me for $1000+ OBO...and it's a basket case.

picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-October-2009 at 5:39AM
Interestingly, I also checked on this car because Davidson, NC is only about 2 hours from me and I was certainly willing to go and look.  I got the exact same email response as posted.  It's back up on eBay this morning.  My question is where are the photos from?  Does the car really exist somewhere?  Paul~

1972 GTS 351CJ-4V black/black
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2009 at 4:41PM
That GTS doesn't look too bad.
It's interesting, you don't see that many tri spoke wheels on Gran Torinos...I've only seen that wheel on one other 72+ intermediate...a 1972 Mercury Montego Cyclone special...something that was listed on ebay some time ago...a car that just made me want to rob a bank so I could buy the thing. it was THAT nice.
Something about it being a prototype Mercury Cyclone model that made it out of the factory...one of the oddballs from the FoMoCo's last musclecar days.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2009 at 4:38PM
Random checks:
$850 obo, willing to part out.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2009 at 4:43PM
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2009 at 5:45PM
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2009 at 5:47PM
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2009 at 5:49PM
1973 Formal roof, 65k original miles according to the ad-
(712)294-4280
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2009 at 3:54AM
man, totally diggin on that blue 73.  gotta be the wheels!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2009 at 5:26AM
Dude, I called that kid last night...for the money, hard call.
He is saying it's rusty and rotted, but yet it's solid.
Still, for $600 for a driver, hell I wish I would have almost bought that car instead on my GTS!
Anyone want a '73 GTS...LOL

Beast1984 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beast1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2009 at 5:53PM
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/1383818511.html

1968 Torino GT, ready for a restore, the ad claims... asking $1500.

Edited by Beast1984 - 15-October-2009 at 5:55PM
Beast1984 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beast1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2009 at 5:58PM
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/ctd/1383317995.html

1974 (Gran?) Torino Four Door - Asking $1000
Beast1984 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beast1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2009 at 6:06PM
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/1417965221.html

1974 Gran Torino Elite, 400M Engine, Excellent Interior and Exterior

Owner believes 64k is the original mileage. Engine smokes "off and on".

*This is the car I have been contemplating a purchase of... I posted a question about the smoking issue in another thread. I haven't been able to convince myself to buy this just yet, and not sure if I really want to. I would much rather have a '72 Torino.... But as far as I am concerned, this car is fair game for whom ever wants it. I have actually seen the car and looked it over two weeks ago, so if anyone happens to be interested in this vehicle in particular, I could give you a lot of info on it. Smile

occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2009 at 1:59AM
Ooooooh that '74 sedan is gorgeous for $1000! Too bad its a Brougham and has the fender skirts, vinyl top, taillamp center reflector thing, and probably power everything.
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2009 at 4:00PM
Dude...I saw that 4 door and man I just am like awsome road tripping car.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2009 at 5:45PM
Originally posted by Eliteman76 Eliteman76 wrote:

1975 4 door:
$800 obo

just got an email on this one...no plans to buy but man thinking beater vibe and a top loader Evil Smile

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2009 at 1:19AM
Andy, you are sounding too much like me!
We need to finish one before we go get others!
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2009 at 5:47AM
I know I know.
But hey, this is a 4 door...you need the rear clip, and I need the front clip.
LOL
I just don't like the idea of a car like that getting killed because it's still a driver.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>