The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My 72 gran torino project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airman1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My 72 gran torino project
    Posted: 10-October-2009 at 5:06AM

Just started this car and its my first. I had a 85 cutlass and sold it so I got this car for 500$ but im going to keep this one.

airman1972 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airman1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2009 at 5:22AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airman1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2009 at 5:30AM
this car runs alright but has a lifter tap so this week im starting on rebuilding that it was built from ford with a 351 W but someone put a 351 C into the car. there is some rust in the back window and the front right fender in this pic just looks like a small spot but is no a small spot. There was about a 2 inch layer of bondo on the fender and about 14 pull holes in it from were they kinda pulled the fender back to good. the inside has really no bad places just need to get new window cranks because the plastic nobs broke off when i went to roll down the windows. Ill be posting more pics as I move along.
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2009 at 5:41AM
how is the frame?
Does it have a 9inch or the make believe smaller one?

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airman1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2009 at 5:49AM

dont really know it looked good tho

Chris
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2009 at 6:30AM
I don't know if they're still available, but the HELP section at the Auto Parts stores used to carry replacement knobs for the window cranks.
Stan
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2009 at 8:28AM
Originally posted by stanman stanman wrote:

I don't know if they're still available, but the HELP section at the Auto Parts stores used to carry replacement knobs for the window cranks.
Stan
If you get those Help! ones, make sure they are metal.  I have seen some plastic ones.
~Chris
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-October-2009 at 4:22AM
Originally posted by stanman stanman wrote:

My experience with the Dorman replacement knobs has been lousy.  The metal pin is to big for the plastic barrel of the knob and it splits it when it goes in.  Happened a couple of times.  I'd order them from one of the mail order houses.  I've had good luck with the knobs coming from AutoKrafters.  (BTW, I love Dorman products, just this particular one I've had trouble with). 

Paul~

Edited by picon3 - 12-October-2009 at 8:54AM
1972 GTS 351CJ-4V black/black
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-October-2009 at 4:37AM
Well, to be honest, I've never tried them. Is the HELP stuff North American made or Chinese?

Stan
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-October-2009 at 8:54AM
Good question.  I'll check tonight and post.  Paul~
1972 GTS 351CJ-4V black/black
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-October-2009 at 11:02AM
if it was a 351w car it SHOULD have a 9".
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2010 at 3:31PM
Chris,
just saw the ad on Craigslist!
CALL ME!
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
icediamond77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icediamond77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2010 at 2:31AM
Well, it looks better than my project!  Good luck and do work!
 Post Reply Post Reply