The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1972 Gran Torino Sport Survivor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1972 Gran Torino Sport Survivor
    Posted: 17-October-2009 at 3:00PM
 Auto Trader Classics has this 72 Gran Torino Sport  Formal Roof survivor car listed
$24,995
says it was purchased by a NY Ford dealerships owner for his wife but she passed away 2 days before they delivered it to the dealership and the owner stored it at the dealer for the next 17 years before giving it to a friend which later sold it and  it is only a 3 owner car with 14K origianl miles now.I'm not big on Gold with Brown vinyl roof with  saddle interior but this puppy is basically brand new and all original and has to be the cleanest Survivor I have ever seen any make or model.
I just had to post this for the rest of the Torino buffs to admire

Edited by 73 ProStreetTorino - 18-October-2009 at 4:14AM
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2009 at 3:23PM
That's a great car.  Not my cup of tea either, but nearly new.  It's been for sale for at least 6 months.  Wild stuff, eh?

Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
GranTorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2009 at 4:18AM
One of us who lives close buy should contact this guy and ask him if pictures can be taken of every square inch of the car. What a reference library that would be for a factory restoration of our own cars. 
Classicfitness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Classicfitness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2009 at 7:25AM
Originally posted by GranTorinoMan GranTorinoMan wrote:

One of us who lives close buy should contact this guy and ask him if pictures can be taken of every square inch of the car. What a reference library that would be for a factory restoration of our own cars. 

I was thinking the same thing.  Amazing car though Smile
'72 GTS 351-4b Gold Glow

'75 Elite 400 Polar White

My car blog: www.fordtorino72.blogspot.com

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2009 at 10:21AM
yah that thing is original in every possible way and you should copy the pictures to your PC for later reference but more in detailed photos of the paint stamp markings would be kewl to have as that is one of the rare things on a concours restoration that needs to be duplicated. that care is awseom except i'm not big on the color.m 73 torino was that color originally but someone painted it blue before i got it but when I took out the interior to replace the worn carpet I found the original gold color like that one has.when i started redoing mine I painted it red but never finished so i sanded it down and put gray sealer on the whole car to make it all one color and that is how it remained till I yanked the motor and junked the car as I blew the tranny and was moving so like a dummy i junked the car and it had so many perfect parts on it I could kick myself now,who knew in 93 that these cars would be popular again and actually worth some money.
I sold a 72 Monte Carlo SS back in the mid 80's for $500 and now that car would be worth $20K or more, never thought  about the futre and what it might be worth some day
I wrecked the front fender so i sold it as the metal was too strong to be straightened so I got mad and sold the car cause i couldn't fix the fender and couldn't find one locally.back then there was no internet to help locate car parts either the local junkyard had it or you just couldn't find it
albo74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2009 at 11:27AM
You're rambling , should of, could of , please we all make mistakes , in 74 the dude that  ran the bowling alley , had that same car , color and all , 302  , I was driving a 73 blue on blue N code sportroof , the only thing his car had that I liked was his spinner wife , seriously 25 g is a to much  for a plain jane , And it would be a  real shame to modify  that car ,  Now if someone was to have to part it out....
albos73gts
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2009 at 11:50AM
Looking at that GTS...why no under car shots or underhood shots?
It's clean, it's nice, and I could live with the color, but if it's not a Q code with a 4 speed, I am sorry I can't justify that kind of money.
Now, I would b the type to buy a car like that, and change it to a toploader and a 4 barrel 4 bolt main 351c, and a bucket/console interior.
Otherwise, it would leave it as-is, dog dish hub caps and all.

Edited by Eliteman76 - 18-October-2009 at 11:55AM
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
iangj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iangj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2009 at 12:44PM
I've got a bunch of pics of a '73 Montego GT that was at Carlisle and has a documented 6,700 miles on it. I crawled all over & under the car taking pictures of paint markings etc. Seeing that GTS and the GT's mostly came off the same line at Lorain, the pics I have may be helpful to the Torino folks.
Email me if you want copies. They are big files and will have to be sent a few at a time.
xrian@talkwireless.ca
Ian Glyn-Jones
Fonthill, Ontario, Canada
Wish I had My Baby Back

Montego GT Registry
Forum; http://mmgt.forumchitchat.com/
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2009 at 1:25PM
not all Torino's are Q code 4 spds,doesn't make them less kewl in my book
now I wouldn't pay that kid of cash unless it was a Sportroof Q code with 4spd
but it's one of the cleanest survivors and all original 72 Gran Torino Sport I have  seen photos of.I just posted it  for us to admire not to get someone to buy it
only a serious collecter with unlimited budget would buy that car but I wouldn't drive it just stick it in storage or a museaum and not mess with it other then to start it every now and then

Edited by 73 ProStreetTorino - 18-October-2009 at 1:27PM
GranTorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2009 at 3:40AM
Originally posted by iangj iangj wrote:

I've got a bunch of pics of a '73 Montego GT that was at Carlisle and has a documented 6,700 miles on it. I crawled all over & under the car taking pictures of paint markings etc. Seeing that GTS and the GT's mostly came off the same line at Lorain, the pics I have may be helpful to the Torino folks.
Email me if you want copies. They are big files and will have to be sent a few at a time.
xrian@talkwireless.ca

You should start a new Post with all those pictures, I'm sure many of us will use them as reference for our restorations.
Hey Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2009 at 5:25AM
That car is definitely not my cup of tea but I love some of the prices I'm seeing on the '72 's lately.
iangj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iangj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2009 at 7:15AM
Will do. As soon as get them uploaded to Photobucket I'll start a new thread.
Ian Glyn-Jones
Fonthill, Ontario, Canada
Wish I had My Baby Back

Montego GT Registry
Forum; http://mmgt.forumchitchat.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply