The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear defrost question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear defrost question
    Posted: 22-October-2009 at 11:46PM
I have a question for anyone who has the rear defrost option (I am going to put it in mine).  Quesiton is, is there a rear defrost warning light that mounts in the dash?  If so, does anyone have a picture or be able to tell me the location?
Reason is,  I came across a rear defrost warning light for the dash on ebay.  Don't know if it's optional or not, and if it's standard- where it belongs.
Thanks!
Chris

Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
iangj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iangj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2009 at 2:04AM
There is a small round light and it would be mounted directly below where the defrost switch goes.
I'll try to get a pic later today unless someone beats me to it.
Ian Glyn-Jones
Fonthill, Ontario, Canada
Wish I had My Baby Back

Montego GT Registry
Forum; http://mmgt.forumchitchat.com/
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2009 at 10:14AM
Thanks, I appreciate it.  I'm willing to bet the harness is right there too.  Pic would help a bunch!
~Chris

albo74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2009 at 9:07AM
Ok he is right the light was under the switch which was "on " only, the window was slow to clear ,  But the wire in the rear window looked good and the switch filled a spot that needed it, it was something I rarely used , air shocks and all it didnt work all that well new probably  only really needed  on the fastback , I though about adding one to my 73 sport  can you buy the glass with the heating element , or is it strickly a junk yard, toss of the coin item,  I would put it in for nostalager only but thats why we drive them 
albos73gts
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2009 at 12:28PM
As far as I know, strictly junkyard, and very rare for the fastback.  If possible, I just need a pic of where the warning light goes in the dash...is it a punchout in the dash?

albo74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2009 at 1:06AM
I have got a picture  note the leather wrapped wheel, hope this helps

Edited by albo74 - 26-October-2009 at 3:45AM
albos73gts
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2009 at 4:35AM

I checked on the heated rear glass a couple years ago and it WAS available automotive aftermarket. Don't remember who the manufacturer was but I was told it would not be a problem to get. Check with your local auto glass shop.

Here is a pic of my '76 rear window defroster light.......

Hope this helps!

JOE

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2009 at 8:22AM
Yeah, that helps a TON!  Right under the switch.  Interesting.  THANKS!
~Chris

Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2009 at 11:23AM
Fastback is a very rare deal. Formal roof cars, dime a dozen it seems.
The switch, there is a knockout.
The light clips to the underside of the HVAC control panel.
Did that harness have the lights attached?? I swore I hade those. Then again, hell I may have stuck those in my GTS.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
iangj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iangj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2009 at 12:44PM
Fastback is that rare?
Both Montego GT's I've had had it and now this '73 GT parts car I picked up today has it. Maybe it's a colder climate thing??
Ian Glyn-Jones
Wish I had My Baby Back

Montego GT Registry
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2009 at 1:08PM
Andy, I didn't check the harness you got me on that, I looked it over and shelved it because my floors weren't in and I wanted to wait.  Now they are nearly done (yahoo!).
Thanks for the info on the punchout.  Going back to the basement to check your harness, lol
iangj, everyone and their grandmother says the same thing:  you see Fastback rear defrost glass, GRAB IT!
I have actually never seen any other defrost fastback glass anywhere.  Mine is snug in my basement, wrapped in towels, behind other stuff (you get the idea).  Hopefully that will go in br=efore winter hits but after my gas tank install...

starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2009 at 8:47PM
Yes it was a northern states thing.In ny it was mandatory for all torino's.Optional in warmer states.
GranTorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2009 at 4:05AM
My car was made for the Great White North so my 72 GTS came with the defrost option (Accessory) as Ford called it on the dash. You can see the "On" light indicator is mounted in the middle of the two switches. I hope this helps, sorry about the crappy picture my camera refused to focus.  
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2009 at 4:28AM

Ian-

Do you have the rear defrost glass and the harness??

If you have the rear defrost setup for a fast back, let's talk!!

{figures, Chris has my harness because I'd never find one  LOL

Andy

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2009 at 6:33AM
Sorry, Andy!  I had the need....for defrost! LOL
I can now makwe you a faithful reproduction out of string, paper machet, and wax.  Don't count on functionality, though! Wink
~Chris

crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2009 at 6:36AM

Quick question for those nice enough to post-

One pic shows the light on the dash;
One pic shows the light on the HVAC control

What years are these?  Or are they the same year, different location?
Thanks again!
~Chris

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2009 at 7:47AM
I would think it was supposed to be on the HVAC unit like the last pic.

The other one where it is on the dash below the switch looks like it does not belong.

JMHO
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
iangj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iangj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2009 at 7:59AM
All of mine were on the dash right below the switch and all the switches were labeled "R Window"

Edited by iangj - 27-October-2009 at 8:00AM
Ian Glyn-Jones
Wish I had My Baby Back

Montego GT Registry
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2009 at 8:30AM
Originally posted by iangj iangj wrote:

All of mine were on the dash right below the switch and all the switches were labeled "R Window"

Odd.  Could be a US vs Canada production thingy...

TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2009 at 9:00AM
Originally posted by crispy23c crispy23c wrote:

Quick question for those nice enough to post-

One pic shows the light on the dash;
One pic shows the light on the HVAC control

What years are these?  Or are they the same year, different location?
Thanks again!
~Chris

Chris,

Mine is the one with the light below the HVAC control and it's a '76 built in Chicago........

JOE

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
albo74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2009 at 9:45AM

OK I think I got it , in 72 there was no script that said "FAN'" so the the light was mounted on the Hvac unit ,the first picture is my 73 ,and any later years it was moved under the switch ,  because they added " fan" script I think you can put it where it looks best , but if you got 73 or newer you got the Script
albos73gts
iangj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iangj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2009 at 10:22AM
My '72 has it below the switch just like the 2 '73's I've had.
All the Montego GT's were built at Lorain, OH
Ian Glyn-Jones
Wish I had My Baby Back

Montego GT Registry
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2009 at 10:58AM
Interesting!  That switch was mobile, depending on the years 
~Chris

GranTorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2009 at 5:42PM

One thing about the defrost strips in the back window, it takes a crap load of power to heat them up. My fan would slow down considerably when I switched the defrost "On" with the original stock '72 alternator. I haven't tried it with my new 150 amp alternator which I'm sure is up to the task. If your doing short trips I'd recommend you put in at least a 100 amp alternator with a smaller pulley so your system is charging under 1500 RPM.  

crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2009 at 10:21AM
Thanks, I was looking at 100 Amp.  Any deals out there?

iangj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iangj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2009 at 10:29AM
If you're not into originality, do the swap to a 3G. they start at 75v amp and go sky high after that. Seen 200 amp ones sell for a couple hundred bucks. Internally regulated.
We run a 100amp 3G on the Rally car.
Ian Glyn-Jones
Wish I had My Baby Back

Montego GT Registry
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2009 at 10:46AM
I know people will cringe but on my Elite, it originally didn't have the rear grid. I added it, courtesy of JC Whitney. Worked great. I took a fan switch, welded a stop to it, flipped the bracket on it, and put it in the the dash at the OEM location for the rear defrost switch.. then used a relay for it.

Worked great.
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2009 at 6:59AM
Wasn't there also the rear fan/heater available on some years? I have seen one before, and the wierd center cutout in the package tray is the spot that it goes. I salvaged from from a junk yard once, but could not get it to work, so I trashed it.

The grid would be a far superior choice, however.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2009 at 9:01AM
Yes there was.  I THINK it was a dealer-installed Ford aftermarket part, but anyway I saw a NEW one go for $45 this summer. 
At least it's economical, even though it's not great.  It was probably developed as a response to complaints (especially in the fastbacks) fogging up.
~Chris

Post Reply Post Reply