Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

INFO: The Coil Spring Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 20>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2015 at 7:32AM
Originally posted by RAPTOR RAPTOR wrote:

Well just took Mean Green for the test drive and WOW !!!!!!!! It rides 100% better with those New shocks Bilstein hd  and  CVPI  HD moog  80090 Coils . The car stays flat on cornering and going over bumps or dips in the road  its stays true to the road and does not FLOAT anymore !!!  Thanks Andy and Vince and everyone that posted what they thought after they did the same install . It made my make my choice that much easier and glad i did it . The car stance is just what i wanted to it went up a little over 1 1/4 " or so i didnt measure it . My original 44 yr old coils were sagging low . I have 351 4v  A/C 4SPD so the weight of that work perfect with these coils the way she sits . 

Awesome!!  I am glad you like the spring/shock setup.  I agree with you that these springs really transform these cars into great handling machines.  My car raised up too with the new springs, but I ended up cutting half a coil after a season of driving to get the stance I wanted.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2015 at 1:02PM

Well just took Mean Green for the test drive and WOW !!!!!!!! It rides 100% better with those New shocks Bilstein hd  and  CVPI  HD moog  80090 Coils . The car stays flat on cornering and going over bumps or dips in the road  its stays true to the road and does not FLOAT anymore !!!  Thanks Andy and Vince and everyone that posted what they thought after they did the same install . It made my make my choice that much easier and glad i did it . The car stance is just what i wanted to it went up a little over 1 1/4 " or so i didnt measure it . My original 44 yr old coils were sagging low . I have 351 4v  A/C 4SPD so the weight of that work perfect with these coils the way she sits . 

If you have a picture to see the stance, that'd be great. I'd love to see how it looks like before I pull the trigger on the same setup.
RAPTOR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAPTOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2015 at 2:51AM
Originally posted by ilyes ilyes wrote:

If you have a picture to see the stance, that'd be great. I'd love to see how it looks like before I pull the trigger on the same setup.

I love it hope the coils dont settle down and lower to much. 

1972 Torino Sport 4Spd Q 351c
1996 Bronco XLT
2010 SVT Raptor
2003 H2 Hummer
1977 CB 750 Cafe Racer
galvarado View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote galvarado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2015 at 6:56AM
I'm going to float this idea out there.  Looking at springs for a third generation Camaro, the spring dimensions are very similar to the cvpi(80090) springs.  Specifically Moog 5662.  I've read about several on this thread wanting to lower the front end after installing a new set of 80090.  5662 has a 10.75" install height, compared to 80090 with an 11.75" install height.  Perhaps these would work for vehicles with small blocks and no need to cut coils.  Spring rate is 748 lbs/inch and a 4.08" inner diameter.  The ends are also square and tangential.  Has anyone done this previously or thought about it?  I'd attempt it but I'm running an iron headed 400.  It's sitting quite low with Moog 9046 and Moog 5662 would lower my car even more.  I may have to go with 80090 springs because my headers scrape every time I back out of the driveway.   
BackInBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2015 at 7:20AM
The load on the camaro spring is probably lighter in the Camaro.  The installed height of that Camaro spring in a torino will likely be less than advertised. 

I would be interested in finding compatible alternatives to the CVPI spring.  Many have used it and seem happy with the 80090 CVPI spring.  I'm curious if there are stock alternatives that will allow tailoring the spring rate up/down from the CVPI spring (710lbin).   (eg  780 lb, 800, 680lb, etc.)
-John
1973 GTS
galvarado View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote galvarado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2015 at 7:32AM
The load rating is lighter for the Camaro springs.  It's somewhere around 1700lbs for the 5662 compared to around 2000lbs for the 80090. 
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2015 at 6:21AM
Those springs would physically fit, but like others said the load ratting I much lower.  What that means is with a 1700 lbs load, those springs will compress the spring to 10.75".  Our Torino springs have a higher load rating, because they are heavier cars. 

For a 1972 Torino, if we use a load rate of 2160 lbs on these springs, that would give an install height of 10.1".  I figure these springs might drop a Torino a significant amount, maybe close to 1.5-2". The only way to know for sure would be someone trying them out.  They are even shorted than CVPI springs so they'd install very easily.  With a light car though, these springs would ride pretty stiff.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
galvarado View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote galvarado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2015 at 10:36AM
I thought it might be an option for someone with an aluminum headed small block wanting to lower their car.  Without spending $180 for custom lowering springs.   And I agree, the only way to know would be to try them.  I'm planning on switching from the iron head 400 to an aluminum head 351W.  I may give those springs a try when I do.  
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2015 at 2:20PM
I think these springs might even be worth trying for a iron headed 351W or a 302.  My car is a iron headed 400 and with CVPI springs it probably sat a bit higher than stock until I cut half a coil.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
galvarado View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote galvarado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-December-2015 at 4:45AM
There's also Moog 5660.  Similar in specs to Moog 5662, but with a 600 lb/in. rate.  $54 a set for 5660 and $47 a set for 5662.  I may purchase one of each and try them with spacers just to see how they feel. 
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2016 at 4:52AM
Stock springs, new shocks, 351C aluminum intake, gutted out interior
Sitting on 18" rim, 245/40/18 front, 265/40/18 rear on PSP.

Same setup with Moog 8543 rear springs

Now with Moog 80090 front spring, 1/2 coil cut (more like a 1/4 as part of it is flat)

73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2016 at 9:11AM
Looks like that girl is looking to see just how close you got to her bumper
Jim

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2016 at 10:37AM
Originally posted by 73GTS 73GTS wrote:

ahh it's one of those new plastic cars that bumper will "adjust" to fit ilyes' parking spot LOL
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2016 at 10:50AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

Originally posted by 73GTS 73GTS wrote:

ahh it's one of those new plastic cars that bumper will "adjust" to fit ilyes' parking spot LOL
None of the above! She's looking in awe at Ilyes' Torino, thinking to herself " What an awesome car!" Then she saw her own car and hung her head in shame.
I'm sorry, was that over the top??? Sometimes I lose track... Big smile
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2016 at 11:32AM
[QUOTE=Big Bird]
 None of the above! She's looking in awe at Ilyes' Torino, thinking to herself " What an awesome car!" Then she saw her own car and hung her head in shame.

nope, i think you are correct!LOL

Edited by californiajohnny - 28-February-2016 at 11:34AM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2016 at 12:26PM
Nah, that's my wonderful wife LOL
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2016 at 1:47PM

that's kinda what i thought.is that her silver car??
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2016 at 2:02PM
None of that crap for us, we have a 95 YJ and an 03 Discovery, Torino is mine Evil Smile
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2016 at 2:12PM

None of that crap for us, we have a 95 YJ and an 03 Discovery, Torino is mine Evil Smile
oh, it's all good then Wink just do what Sylvester stallone did in the movie cobra, when those guys parked in his spot Thumbs Up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-February-2016 at 10:45AM
go lower Big smile
-Billy Conturo
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-February-2016 at 12:50PM

Kinda what I thought too...
Alternate thought caption for the wife:
"WOW!!! What a manly car!!!! THIS is why I married Ilyes!!!"Thumbs Up
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-February-2016 at 1:49PM
You guys wait til I drop the car, it's going to be gorgeous, and corner decently too.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-February-2016 at 1:54PM

You guys wait til I drop the car, it's going to be gorgeous, and corner decently too.
Thumbs Up awesome! slam it Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
BackInBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2016 at 12:22AM
Originally posted by Billy C Billy C wrote:

go lower Big smile

Just FYI:  on another thread we found some other options that would complement the 80090 fronts, if your trying to keep the stock ride height.   I haven't found any off-the-shelf options for the rear to lower it more; only custom springs for the rear.

http://forum.grantorinosport.org/road-track-suspension-discussion_topic5320_page15.html

Front: Moog 80090
Rear:  Moog 8531 (183lb/in), 8307 (158lb/in), 8537 (175lb/in)

I tried the 8531 (183lb/in) in teh rear and found that it raised that back about 1/2-3/4", others say that it was close to stock height.   I got 8307 springs (160lb/in) to try next and believe it will be at stock ride height.  

I think with the 7/8 rear sway bar springs in the +200lb/in range will oversteer alot.   I will do more testing with a few different springs over the summer when I get my car back on the road.

I like the wheels...looking good!  It would be cool to see a big turn out at Carlisle with the 72-73 years in the future.   Lots of Starsky/Hutch cars...not so many of the 72-73s.

Edited by BackInBlack - 01-March-2016 at 12:29AM
-John
1973 GTS
The Torino Kid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Torino Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2016 at 7:17AM
I just did this swap in front with a few upgrades as well. the springs are really great for the price and its almost flat in the turns. i went a full coil cut on mine...

1973 Gran Torino Sport CJ 351

'Q' code 63R body
The Torino Kid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Torino Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2016 at 4:41AM
Originally posted by The Torino Kid The Torino Kid wrote:

I just did this swap in front with a few upgrades as well. the springs are really great for the price and its almost flat in the turns. i went a full coil cut on mine...

1973 Gran Torino Sport CJ 351

'Q' code 63R body
yellowsportwagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowsportwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2016 at 4:16PM
So what springs will lower a 72 Torino-Montego 2" all around?
Tim
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2016 at 2:17AM
Originally posted by yellowsportwagon yellowsportwagon wrote:

Tim

the next question is, how soft or firm do you want it to be at that ride height?

an out of the box set with small diameter wire may get you your ride height and will ride soft, maybe bottom out hard?

an out of the box set with large diameter wire & shorter free length / installed height will ride firm or very hard

same with a large diameter wire set & cutting coils, but with a target of 2" drop you have to be careful not to shorten the spring so far that the spring is loose as installed at full droop
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2016 at 5:42AM
Originally posted by yellowsportwagon yellowsportwagon wrote:

Tim

Most of the springs we talked about in this thread will not really lower a car as they are stock replacement springs.  Some guys trim the front coils for a better stance but you can't do that with the rear.  You're best bet if you want to drop the car that much is to order custom springs from some place like Eaton spring.

As Rock stated above too, you need to decided on more than just ride height.  You need to know if you want a soft ride, or firm ride.  Even from the factory there were three different suspension packages for these cars. 
Vince

GTS.org Admin
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2016 at 6:13AM

I have made some changes to the suspension on my car since the last post.  Originally I was running Moog 80090 springs and Moog 8531's (183 in/lb) in the rear.  I was happy with this setup, but the more and more I ran the car on the rough roads we have around here I was finding the back end of the car a little stiff and not articulating overly well over the rough stuff.  At times I was getting some hop and skip on very rough pavement.  So after some discussions, I decided to try some Moog 8307's (158 in/lbs), which are listed as the stock replacement part for 1972 Torinos. 

Since the replacement, I have noticed a big improvement in the ride quality and so far it seems to have no effect of the car's handling.  It's definitely much better on the rough stuff and no hopping and skipping.  The car feels a little less planted in the rear because they are slightly softer, but it's worth it for the better ride and I doubt there is a significant difference in handling.  Further, the stance was pretty well unchanged, the new springs are maybe 1/2" taller, but they will likely settle a bit more with time.  In any case, I just didn't want to drop the rear on my car, I like the stock stance.

As I have already stated in this thread, the aftermarket springs are not the same as what Ford offered on our cars from the factory.  Below is a photo where I compare the springs.  My car originally had the HD or Cross Country suspension which were the stiffest (non-police) rear springs OEM.  Yet when I compared them to the Moog 8307's, they have almost identical wire diameter but have about an extra half coil.  Which means the 8307's are actually slightly stiffer than the OEM HD springs, and are likely stiffer than the rear competition springs and certainly stiffer than the OEM base springs.   Keep in mind 8307's are listed for 1972 but also for 74-76.  My guess is that the 74-76 have stiffer rear springs OEM due to the increased weight in these rear of the newer cars, which is why the Moog springs are probably stiffer than the 1972 OEM.

Moog 8531 (183 in/lbs), Moog 8307 (158 in/lbs), OEM Ford HD

Vince

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 20>