The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

INFO: The Coil Spring Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 17181920>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2017 at 12:07AM
Great looking 72 Thomas, and welcome! I used Moog #8307 for rear coil springs and KYB Excel-G # 343135 for the shocks. Made a world of difference on mine. The #8307 may not be enough of a drop for you, but I think it would be close. I'll add a pic of mine with that setup. This pic was taken before I lowered the front end with a cut taken out of the front springs, but the rear is same height. I also run 15" tires.

Matt

1969 Mercury Marauder 390
1972 Montego MX
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
1994 F-150 5.8
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium
changinlatitudes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2017 at 12:11AM
Thomas, this is after I dropped the front end about 1/2".  There is a slight rake, but just right for me.

Matt

1972 Montego MX
1994 F-150 5.8
tom72torino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom72torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2017 at 4:36AM
Hello Matt!
Many Thanks! I can only give back! Thumbs Up What color is your Montego? Is that pure white?
I also believe that the height on the rear is quite the same.
Do you have the measurement from the center of the wheel to the fender lip?
If the height is not enough for me, is there something wrong about using minimum spacers to the springs? Does this work with the kyb shocks, or are they too short? I would reluctantly shorten the front springs. Or are there any moog spring options?
Have a nice day!
Greetings from austria!
Thomas
Beluski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beluski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2017 at 8:01AM
First of all,thanks for awesome thread.i´ve managed to do excellent
stance and ride for my GTS with reading this carefully.

it has 460 with lot of aluminium parts.used to be AC car but parts are removed.(not by me).Tires are 225/60r15 front and rear.
In front i installed TRW 80090 springs,cutted 1/2 coil plus 2inches of wire.
shocks are KYB´s gas-a-justs.rear springs are standards.
Hope this helps.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2017 at 10:58AM
looks good ! Thumbs Up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
BackInBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2017 at 12:31PM
Sweet ride!   I like it.
-John
1973 GTS
Beluski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beluski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2017 at 1:16AM
Thank you for supporting comments!i´ll add more pics in pics of my car thread soon.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2017 at 6:19AM
Very nice car Beluski, the stance looks great. When you say you cut half a coil plus 2 inches of wire, what do you mean?  Do you mean you cut off half a coil, then measured about 2" and cut an additional 2" off the coil spring?

How do you like the ride and handling with the new springs?
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Beluski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beluski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2017 at 6:36AM
Thanks!yes,that right.half of coil and additional 2" i cut from coil spring wire.so 1/2 coil + 1/10 or so..
1/2 was maybe too high and i ruined one pair of 429 HD springs because i cutted too much.wanted to do it right and cut little by little to get right stance.
Ride and handling in my opinion is awesome.front is stiff but no too much.
little harder when using cutted 429HD springs,i think.
I have polyurethane bushings all around.also added ADDCO rear swaybar.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2017 at 2:01PM
Thumbs Up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2017 at 6:11PM
I've read this whole thing in the past, but my mind is not retaining it.
Is there a post or a page here that comes to a conclusion on what front springs to use? Not sure I can read 28 pages again, I get confused.

Not a track car, but want to have fun on highway curves, etc.
I have the Ranchero and Torino Handling Manual, someday I may do what is in that book, but for now getting the car back on the road as inexpensively as possible is my main goal.

Stockish 72 Ranchero, 351C with AC, auto trans (for now at least), looking  for one inch or so lowered in front (willing to cut springs as needed). Improved handling (poly bushings except for strut rods), stock sway bar (again, for now at least), Lares 841 steering box. Willing to go a tad on the harsh side (scale of 1 - 10 with 1 being harshest) say a 4, maybe a 5 softest.
Shocks need to be determined as well.

15 inch rims, not going to change that. Front tires are 225/70/15

My brain hurts. Embarrassed

Thanks,
Russ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2017 at 10:38PM
Russ, I think it all boils down to a matte of taste. I have almost the same setup you do....72 Montego 351/C-4, 235/60-15 on the front with 15x8 rims. I went with CVPI Moog #80090 with 1/2 coil cut, and front shocks are KYB Excel-G #343128. It lowered the front end to the perfect height (for me), and handling/ride is MUCH improved.

I had the same problem when going through these posts. A LOT of good information here, but hard to dissect in a usable format.
Matt

1972 Montego MX
1994 F-150 5.8
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2017 at 2:17AM
It's been discussed about trying to weed through this post.
The problem was I never expected this thread to get so long winded.
Lots of discussion but there are plans to clean this up considerably in a condensed posting.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2017 at 2:49AM
Maybe break this up into several threads...

some guys like going straight...big back tires skinny fronts (there are multiple divisions in this alone)
some like simply stock OEM
others slightly better handling than OEM without big changes
some want performance street handling
Another topic would be oriented performance street plus...more like pro touring and autocross
Then there is extreme track which can be divided again into oval, road racing, etc.

We have everything piled up in one post.

Problem its really hard to talk about springs without your target application and what wheel/tire combo your planning on using.   Oh almost forgot...not to mention shocks as well.

Edited by BackInBlack - 06-July-2017 at 2:49AM
-John
1973 GTS
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2017 at 7:20AM
John, that is one thing being considered.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2017 at 11:53AM
Originally posted by changinlatitudes changinlatitudes wrote:

Russ, I think it all boils down to a matte of taste. I have almost the same setup you do....72 Montego 351/C-4, 235/60-15 on the front with 15x8 rims. I went with CVPI Moog #80090 with 1/2 coil cut, and front shocks are KYB Excel-G #343128. It lowered the front end to the perfect height (for me), and handling/ride is MUCH improved.

I had the same problem when going through these posts. A LOT of good information here, but hard to dissect in a usable format.

Thanks, Matt.
Sounds like the Moog 80090 are what will be best for me.
Russ
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2017 at 3:54PM
I hate to put this here...but has anyone run adjustable shocks?
I've been overall happy with the 80090 but I've noticed with my KYB monotube shock the front I tend to get slight bounce in the front. Keep in mind as most of you guys know I tend to push my car hard.
I also think coupled with the 40# steel wheels the unsprung weight of my combo might warrant a stiffer shock.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2017 at 12:07AM
I used Bilstein's.   Definitely more money than KYB.  I've been happy with them but they are not adjustable.   I used KYB in the past and wasn't happy with them.   They seem a step up over OEM.   Koni was way better, IMO.

if your really serious about a fully adjustable great quality shock...this is one of the most recommended I found.   Rebuildable, adjustable, and w/wo coilovers.   Not cheap, but the good stuff rarely is...
Basically select them based on length.   So dont get put off cause its mostly a chevy site.   This guy its is good resource regarding improving the handling.   I bought his book...and used some of the Chevy setups as a reference for improving our Torino.  Still a work in progress. I'm close but stalled due to other projects.   

Edited by BackInBlack - 21-July-2017 at 12:08AM
-John
1973 GTS
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2017 at 8:41AM
I have had my Bilstiens for going on 4 years or so. Very happy with them. No float or bounce and not harsh. You have to get them for a late 90s Crown Victoria. Make sure you get the performance versions not the comfort. I have used Bilstiens on a few of my trucks over the years too. They last a long time. 

I am sure the adjustable shocks would be the best setup but bang for the buck it's hard to beat Bilstiens. You can get them pretty cheap if you stop around. Rock auto usually carries them.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2017 at 6:48AM
For Andy or anyone else interested in Bilstien Shocks.  Here are the part numbers for the correct performance shocks for our cars:

Front

24-014953

Rear

24-014960

The front are out of stock at RockAuto, but the rears are in stock no at $81.79.

Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2017 at 5:51PM

Matt,
I wanted to double check on the shock part number you gave. I looked those up on Amazon and the ad mentions Ford Focus. Confused
Someone else recommended Bilstiens, but those are a bit out of my budget for now.
I did just get the Moog 80090 springs today. Haven't installed yet, front suspension is still completely apart.
Thanks,
Russ

Edited by russosborne - 28-October-2017 at 5:58PM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2017 at 5:57PM
All,
Have we discussed the rear coils and shocks in here? I'll go back and look, but I am wanting some suggestions  for a 72 Ranchero, which will have to be used as a truck at times.Cry
But I am still wanting good handling, otherwise I would just put a pair of air shocks back in it. It does have a class 3 or 4 hitch welded in. Not sure I would ever use it except in an emergency.
I know I may have to compromise a bit here. Thinking that I might need something a bit different from a regular Torino though.
Thanks
Russ
Canuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2017 at 7:45PM
have you considered getting "cargo" springs? I went with them on the rear of my 72 wagon, they're stock springs made with the next thickness up of wire. Our local spring shop custom wound them for me, price was pretty reasonable.

I went with CVPI springs in front, and Monroe 550010/550011 shocks front and rear. Zero complaints, the car handles wonderfully.

72 Montego MX Wagon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2017 at 8:51PM

Nope, but that is why I asked, I need ideas. LOL
Getting custom wound ones probably isn't a possibility, but over the counter ones maybe.
Am I limited to Ranchero/Torino springs for the rear, or do other models coils work?
Etc.
Thanks,
Russ

Edited by russosborne - 28-October-2017 at 8:51PM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2017 at 12:14AM
Originally posted by russosborne russosborne wrote:

Matt,
I wanted to double check on the shock part number you gave. I looked those up on Amazon and the ad mentions Ford Focus. Confused
Someone else recommended Bilstiens, but those are a bit out of my budget for now.
I did just get the Moog 80090 springs today. Haven't installed yet, front suspension is still completely apart.
Thanks,
Russ

Russ, I double checked that part number on Rock Auto and eBay and that's the right # for 1972 Ford Gran Torino. Looks like Rock Auto still has a really good price on them. FYI I also went with the KYB #343135 for my rear shocks.

Matt

1972 Montego MX
1994 F-150 5.8
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2017 at 5:42AM
Russ here is the direct link on Rock Auto to all the '72 Torino shocks:

You'll notice KYB's come in both Excel-G and Gas-A-Just versions.

Bilsteins are more expensive and probably the stiffest riding, but IMO the best for all out performance.  You have to search for a late model Crown Vic to find them through:

Edited by 72FordGTS - 29-October-2017 at 5:42AM
Vince

GTS.org Admin
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2017 at 9:05AM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

Russ here is the direct link on Rock Auto to all the '72 Torino shocks:

You'll notice KYB's come in both Excel-G and Gas-A-Just versions.

Bilsteins are more expensive and probably the stiffest riding, but IMO the best for all out performance.  You have to search for a late model Crown Vic to find them through:

i just put a set of the kyb excel-g's on mine, good all around oem replacement shock. I did replace the upper bushins with the poly type just for the heck of it.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2017 at 10:36AM
Russ,
As far as rear springs go, somewhere on here I put a link to spring charts at Moog's site and I think an interactive search thing.
Rear springs for a 65-78 fullsize, 67-79 Thunderbird will all fit as well as the standard options. you need to look at installed height, as well as spring rate and effective spring length.
Are you looking to raise the rear, stockish height but stiffer, factory ride, marshmallow ride?
I have Mark V springs in my Thunderbird because I wanted a 70s rake and didn't want cargo coils.
There are Galaxie springs that will give you a stock height, but stiffer as well.
I have not seen any factory springs that will lower the car.

Edited by Big Bird - 29-October-2017 at 10:37AM
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2017 at 6:39PM
Thanks.

The ultimate goal is stock height but better handling in the rear. I like stock rear height with the front lowered a bit.
Having a Ranchero makes it a little tougher choice since I will have to use it as a truck once in a while.
I'll look for those spring charts.

Russ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2018 at 4:23PM
Would the way to go really be using a good handling shock and cargo type springs?
Or would it be better to use load adjusting shocks like these
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=60631&cc=1129003&jsn=21
with good coils?
Or should I just not worry about the occasional use as a truck and go with the best handling shocks and springs? Yes, buying a truck for hauling duty would be ideal, but isn't going to happen. I'm really not a truck type person. The Ranchero to me is a car with a bed. Not a truck. Shocked

Thanks,
Russ

Edited by russosborne - 18-February-2018 at 4:25PM
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 17181920>