The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

INFO: The Coil Spring Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 20>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2010 at 1:58AM
The lower CA and spindle are the same.
Only difference in control arms is the 72 has 2 ball joint options, press-in and bolt-in.
The 73 and up only had press-in.
The Spindle difference was in bearing size on the 72, but not in ride height areas. 
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2010 at 3:17AM
I wish I could be more help in this thread. My Cougar has PST springs front and rear. Fronts are progressive rate, had a coil cut out of it, and then heated.. Yeah I know I know. I didn't do it personally. They came in my other Cougar. I was happy with the handling and stance, so they went into my car. 

In the other car.

And transferred to the white Cougar.

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Blueoval76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueoval76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2010 at 3:44AM
Originally posted by cowboyupdjcarl cowboyupdjcarl wrote:

Only difference in control arms is the 72 has 2 ball joint options, press-in and bolt-in.
The Spindle difference was in bearing size on the 72, but not in ride height areas. 

Last night I was looking at the pics and there is a spot where you can scroll and you will be able to see both lower control arms on your comp screen at the same time. To me there is a difference in the thickness of the pass. vs the drivers don't know if it even would affect it but it sure loks different. There is a deeper notch in the pass. one and it looks thinner. I dont know maybe its just the angle of the shot? I just really hate a lean but looks like I am stuck with one for a while as I ran into a brick wall on funding for my car now. Cry
68 Galaxie Wagon 390/auto/2.70
03 Bonneville some mods
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2010 at 5:16AM
I know if I had mismatched control arms like that, I probably wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2010 at 5:47AM
Originally posted by Blueoval76 Blueoval76 wrote:

Last night I was looking at the pics and there is a spot where you can scroll and you will be able to see both lower control arms on your comp screen at the same time. To me there is a difference in the thickness of the pass. vs the drivers don't know if it even would affect it but it sure loks different. There is a deeper notch in the pass. one and it looks thinner. I dont know maybe its just the angle of the shot? I just really hate a lean but looks like I am stuck with one for a while as I ran into a brick wall on funding for my car now. Cry
WOW! You are correct!!
I can see the right front has a big step down from the ball joint to the spring perch compared to the driver side!

OK, NOW someone needs to look into LCA part #s.
That would be a good thing to know, looks like the passenger side LCA will lower the car 1/2".
OR maybe the driver side is the alternate one designed to RAISE the car?
Maybe the PI/HD upper CA is designed different as well to compensate for that drop?
OR the HD PI arm is the one with less drop?

THAT is not angle of the photo!!
Both photos you can tie rod ends, ball joint zerk fitting and mufflers further back at about the same point.
Actually it was a great free hand picture comparison! Clap

MORE RESEARCH NEEDED!

Edited by cowboyupdjcarl - 07-December-2010 at 5:59AM
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2010 at 5:57AM
I bet everyone is running out ot their cars and parts stash to check LCAs now!
Clap
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2010 at 6:17AM

There is only ONE lower control arm for our cars from 72-79!! Makes no difference if police or not. Police cars had different upper arms with solid bushings. The ball joints in question refer to early pre 72 Fairlanes and Torino, 67-71.

Edited by Torinogts73c - 07-December-2010 at 6:19AM
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

"Never complain Never explain" Henry Ford

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2010 at 6:25AM
Part #'s D7AZ-3078-A for the right D7AZ-3079-A for the left. That was the updated # from Ford .Originally the part # was D3AZ-3078-A & D3AZ-3079-A. 
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2010 at 6:30AM
Originally posted by Torinogts73c Torinogts73c wrote:

There is only ONE lower control arm for our cars from 72-79!! Makes no difference if police or not. Police cars had different upper arms with solid bushings. The ball joints in question refer to early pre 72 Fairlanes and Torino, 67-71.

THANKS
So it would appear there is a different LCA on his car from one of the other cars?
My research showed the same bushings, ball joints and other parts were used on a bunch of cars.
maybe the LCA is off one of the bigger cars...72-76 Tbird for instance?
in the pics you can CLEARLY see a difference in the LCA.
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2010 at 6:47AM
Haven't figured that one out yet!! The Torino arms are also used by LTD's T-birds and Mark V's so that can't be the answer. I'm looking into it though.

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2010 at 6:48AM
Mark III? Older fullsize?
Paul

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2010 at 6:49AM
I wonder if that arm is off of a 79 and later Crown Vic??? Anyone have one of those anywhere???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueoval76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2010 at 8:24AM
Wow!! Thanks for the help and compliment on the pics guys I was not expecting to see so much action on this since I was last on earlier this morning. Big smile If you need any more detailed photos I can try to get some. I have pic that shows the lower front of the car and you can tell the A-arms are not sitting the same but I wont be able to post it until after about 4:30pm today.
03 Bonneville some mods

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2010 at 9:03AM
Originally posted by Psquare75 Psquare75 wrote:

Mark III? Older fullsize?
      That is a possibility!! We had a CV in the shop and those arms are way different. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueoval76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2010 at 5:15PM
Ok guys here are a few rear pics that I took tonight. All I can say is I was told the suspension was built for drag and to keep the twist level I guess. Maybe the guy that did the rear chassis did the front and I could ask him.

If you take these two side by side you can see the differences and the pass. one is marked 76 Ford. This is the rear view...

Here is a better pic of the pass spring, arm, and spindle...

03 Bonneville some mods
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2010 at 5:51PM
Hmm. I could maybe see if the passenger side had a stiffer spring or some sort of weight jacking to help keep the car from wanting to Twist. If I recall correctly, old Mopar super stock trick was wedge in heavy truck springs in the super stockers in the 60's.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2010 at 12:30AM
I have a picture of lower arms that were modified to lower a Torino and they look very similar. Problem is my PC is at computer shop getting a virus removed. Hopefully the picture will be saved.

73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2010 at 11:11AM

Originally posted by 73GTS 73GTS wrote:

I bought the CC811's. Hoping they'll plant the big 325/50R15 Mickey Thompson E/T. Drag Radial's Wink
WOW really?
that is gonna be one hell of a stiff ride!!!
Pic of the car with them installed?

Still on the rotisserie. We'll seeConfused
Jim

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2010 at 4:54PM
OK. You talk about a custom modified arm?
I don't know how many recall this car from Oregon, was on Ebay, and ended up here in Nebraska.
Drool:

Now, The reason i dumped these shots in this thread, here is the modified LOWER control arm.
What I got from the guys at the classic car brokerage, it drove and rode fantastic.
No issues. Used standard springs.
Look at the Banzaii job on the control arm. Whom ever modified this put a hell of a thick plate on it, and raised the ball joint area about 2 inches up.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2010 at 4:57PM
Sorry, one ...ore two more of this one...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2010 at 2:13AM
That's the one I was thinking of!!

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2010 at 2:19AM
That car was/is a nice example of a car worth over $15k!

as for the springs... Andy I don't think those are stock springs.
If you look at the bump stop it only has about an inch before it hits the frame and you can see it hits the frame regularly. But I do agree... GREAT way of lowering the car. No different than alot of the drop arms available for many cars/trucks today.
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2010 at 5:35AM

Hmm. Hard to say. Could be cut some but not sure.
Looking at the drop on those arms, I mean, it's got to move the spindle up what, 2-3 inches?

I know the guys stated that car was glass smooth and drove straight.
Oh, and Carl, try like $35k.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueoval76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2010 at 11:13AM
Wow!!! I want a drop like that!!! That car looks sweet!
03 Bonneville some mods
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-December-2010 at 6:01PM
Ok, I just changed my back coils from cc803s in the back to the cc807s. Raised the ride in the back about an inch. It is a noticeable height difference...  The reason I changed over is because: 
1 - the pot holes are getting really bad and starting to beat my brains out.
2 - Cornering in "rear world" street situations, I feel like the car does better "sinking" into the turns a bit instead of staying ridged. If I was on a smooth track with predictable turns the cc803s would be THE spring, they are low and stiff.. I wish I had good before and after pics but I did't really think about it. The 803s are much thicker and about 1.5 inches shorter than the 807s. I kept the 803s just for kicks. It takes what, 15 min at most, to change em.. 
Just thought I would put this coil spring experience where it belongs.  

Edited by Billy C - 24-December-2010 at 6:02PM
-Billy Conturo
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-December-2010 at 6:09PM
Originally posted by Eliteman76 Eliteman76 wrote:

and I am not sure what I think about this car being that low.. Now that is cool and all but I like to drive my car everywhere and with such a huge distance between the front and back wheels seems to easy to scrape that low mid section. I also like the muscle car vibe of being able to crawl under the car anywhere and tinker with stuff without having to get out the jack every time. That is what my buddy and I refer to as "Working on cars in public".  Can't get any more muscle car than that... 
-Billy Conturo
Ron Earp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Earp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-December-2010 at 2:10PM
Originally posted by Eliteman76 Eliteman76 wrote:

OK. You talk about a custom modified arm?

Now, The reason i dumped these shots in this thread, here is the modified LOWER control arm.
What I got from the guys at the classic car brokerage, it drove and rode fantastic.
No issues. Used standard springs.
Look at the Banzaii job on the control arm. Whom ever modified this put a hell of a thick plate on it, and raised the ball joint area about 2 inches up.

I remember this car. I also remember wondering if whoever fabricated it did a bump steer curve check and then corrected for it. Otherwise this car will look great and probably cruise to the burger joint fine, but for excellent handling and feel, the camber / bump steer curve is probably not going to be good and cause the car to be a handful when the suspension is loaded. Not only that it looks like the suspension travel is only an inch or so. This car is probably not going to be a lot of fun for spirited driving around corners and I suspect it will push heavily when driven hard.

Edited by Ron Earp - 26-December-2010 at 12:56AM
04 Ford Lightning
72 GTS BB Stroker & Toploader
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2010 at 6:06AM
Good Points Ron-
In the discussions I had with the car broker that bought the car, he said with the 514, the TKO600, and the way the car was set up, it was a firm ride, but the car well for street duty.
My only thing would have to be the amount of pulling the car would experience with the tires being that wide up front.
I love 295/50R15's, they just look killer on our cars, but the areas I live in, the heavy truck traffic  just destroy the streets and put grooves in the asphalt that make wide tires a joy to drive on the old highways. Not so much on concrete stuff however.
I know with my car, with how it's lowered, I have not seemed to be plagued with issues.
I am still considering a bumpsteer kit, and run billet tie rod ends instead of the stamp-formed pieces from the factory. Just, well, been too lazy to bother.

Billy-
As far as the springs, great feedback. To each their own, but info like this is helpful for other guys trying to figure out what they want.

*Edit-
FYI-that black GTS...that car was purchased for some guy's WIFE to drive. She liked the car so much, a guy bought it so she'd have a fun car to drive. Then she managed to blow up the 514...something about spinning it a bit too much...

Edited by Eliteman76 - 27-December-2010 at 6:08AM
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2010 at 6:14AM
Andy,
It's funny because I don't really know what I want yet, when it comes to handling. I am just kinda messing around with stuff. The loss in money trying new springs is a gain in experience and knowledge. I really don't know what handles GREAT. I am not aiming for Porsche like handling. I just try to make it the best for my purposes. No track, all street, all fun!! 
-Billy Conturo
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2010 at 6:31AM
Exactly.
I will tell you this much...my GTS...feels like it rides on rails. I have pushed it, and pushed it hard.
Does not feel all over hell and back, just feels planted.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 20>