The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

INFO: The Coil Spring Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 20>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2010 at 11:46AM
MORE questions!

So I went out to the car and measured rear springs as they sit in the car right now.
YES the airshocks are fully charged, but that has nothing to do with this as the moment.

I measured the rear spring height and from perch to perch they are WAY over 9.75" installed.
My issue/question is can SOMEONE PLEASE get me a measurement from perch to perch(install height) with a KNOWN and unaltered MOOG spring #.

It has me VERY concerned now! IF I order the CC801, 803 or 807 they have 9.75" installed height...THAT will drop the rear end down over top of the wheels!
The CC811 is 10.5" install height and the CC819 is 12.69" but is SOFT.

NOW I am thinking of the CC819 tall & soft spring with a set of the CoilOver Monroe Shocks to keep all the clearance and height I want?

BUT I need someone to get a true measurement on a KNOWN spring. 
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2010 at 12:48PM
going out now.. i have the cc807s in now..
-Billy Conturo
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2010 at 1:02PM
with the cc807s from perch to perch it is almost exactly 1'-0".. in the dark.....  you say 0'-9 3/4".. what that is way off. now 1' may be off by like a 1/4 of an inch or something, but 9 3/4"!! what?

In the trunk, I have a truck battery that ways like 40 pounds, dead center right over the rear axle. Also have like 30 pounds of tools in the truck. My change what a stock ride would be. 

If any one is interested, and for the name of science I can go put the cc803s back in take a measurement... I am guessing the cc803s where like 0'-10 1/2" with that stuff in the trunk. They where much stiffer but they where shorter un-installed by like 3".
-Billy Conturo
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2010 at 2:49PM
if someone have a pic of a c811 installed, i'd like to see how tall it is, i'm thinking to get them for me
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2010 at 12:07AM
Originally posted by Billy C Billy C wrote:

with the cc807s from perch to perch it is almost exactly 1'-0".. in the dark.....  you say 0'-9 3/4".. what that is way off. now 1' may be off by like a 1/4 of an inch or something, but 9 3/4"!! what?

In the trunk, I have a truck battery that ways like 40 pounds, dead center right over the rear axle. Also have like 30 pounds of tools in the truck. My change what a stock ride would be. 

If any one is interested, and for the name of science I can go put the cc803s back in take a measurement... I am guessing the cc803s where like 0'-10 1/2" with that stuff in the trunk. They where much stiffer but they where shorter un-installed by like 3".
The tools and battery are not going to move it too much.
The 807's are supposed to be 9.75" installed height.
Your 807's are sitting at 12"... hmmm?
is the INSTALLED height what they measure with FULL WEIGHT ON (SQUAT HEIGHT)???

For the sake of research I would love to see how the 803 measures, they are supposed to be the same installed height, 801/803/807 all say 9.75 installed height.
Btw if your interested in selling one of the sets...Wink
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2010 at 2:14AM
Originally posted by ilyes ilyes wrote:

if someone have a pic of a c811 installed, i'd like to see how tall it is, i'm thinking to get them for me

Me too. I have these springs new still in the box. I'd like to see them installed. My body is still on the rotisserie so........
Jim

Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2010 at 12:00PM
Originally posted by cowboyupdjcarl cowboyupdjcarl wrote:

The tools and battery are not going to move it too much.
The 807's are supposed to be 9.75" installed height.
Your 807's are sitting at 12"... hmmm?
is the INSTALLED height what they measure with FULL WEIGHT ON (SQUAT HEIGHT)???

For the sake of research I would love to see how the 803 measures, they are supposed to be the same installed height, 801/803/807 all say 9.75 installed height.
Btw if your interested in selling one of the sets...Wink
Ya, I know... that is strange as hell.  I am telling you.. it's like 1' with the car resting on the ground ready to drive away... Crazy or what???  9.75 would be LOWWWWW! What else could change this ride height. I am pretty sure I got everything on the car. I will check again if I get a chance.. I will also switch em out and measure if I get a sec. I am going to hang on to the 803s.. MY "track" springs.. But i really like the 807s.. the car rides 10 times better and I think it handles better too, now that I have been out hammering some turns.

Edited by Billy C - 29-December-2010 at 12:23PM
-Billy Conturo
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2011 at 11:51AM
use high rate springs and add some installed height, i think i've seen them up to 3" or more 

Edited by Rockatansky - 08-January-2011 at 11:53AM
BackInBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2011 at 3:41AM
Has anyone tried calling Eaton Springs to get the setup they are looking for?

I want to upgrade the springs as well, to stiffen up the car.   I want to keep the stock ride height because I have low headers with 3" exhaust.   It's tucked up tight to the floor and it still scrapes over driveway ramps, etc.

Does anyone have the stock installed spring heights and loading for the front/back?

I will be upgrading the steering box as well and sway bars, shocks, wheels/tires, etc.  I have a plan.  I hate understeer in the corners.  I want to be able to run with new Dodge challenger into the corners.  This is my goal...the Dodge Challenger is -2 on the wheelbase and pulls mid 0.80s in the skid pad.

Has anyone done any track testing with their spring upgrades?   Any test data, times, comments like "I raced with my buddy at the track with a 2011 Mustang GT and stayed with him in the turns..."

For reference....I have a 1973 GTS 351C with the suspension package.

Regards,

Edited by BackInBlack - 17-January-2011 at 3:42AM
-John
1973 GTS
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2011 at 4:39AM
No "track testing" but  I do have an exit ramp I always used

Buddies Cobalt SS would SQUEAL around a corner at 58 MPH but made it
my Cavalier with a bunch of suspension stuff and Pirellis could do it at 50+ but I was scared. noisy and understeering

My Cougar with the springs/poly/ 255/50/17s and 275/50/17 cheapass Nitto NT450s would get noisy around 43-45 MPH. I suspect with better grpping tires I could do 50 (I dont want to spring the $ for Pirellis however). 
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2011 at 4:48AM
Originally posted by BackInBlack BackInBlack wrote:

I want to be able to run with new Dodge challenger into the corners.  This is my goal...the Dodge Challenger is -2 on the wheelbase and pulls mid 0.80s in the skid pad.

i just saw a Top Gear, the blokes from across the pond came over to drive US Musclecars, Vette, Caddy & Dodge

the Davey Jones guy(Hammond?) in the Challenger had his hands more than full in the twisties, may not be such a hard goal to achieve?

but i think it'll take more than an off the shelf spring to to do that or stay with the Stang in the curves

Edited by Rockatansky - 17-January-2011 at 4:50AM
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2011 at 5:40AM
I've discussed this before...but as I have not stepped further with the springs on my GTS, I can only attest to what has been done with my cut lincoln coils.
I am awaiting the crown vic springs to swap out.
I've made mention on this before, speaking with a good freind whom runs asphalt oval, and his long time personal experience in Torinos, the front end, with a car that is running a cleveland, you need to have a minimum 700 pound rate spring to tighten things up.
Keep in mind, on his stuff, he is using circle track items like cup spacers to use commongly available springs from Ebach, etc.
Rear springs, I have been warned to watch the rate, and not increase it too high otherwise it will tend to leave to steering issues at speed. My memory here is fuzzy, and hell if I recall where all my notes are.
I don't want to, as I am guilty as anyone, muddying the waters up and making things merky as-is.
As a group, I don't think any of us have done serious track driving {I am excluding the drag guys, no offence}, with our intermediates, save 1 or 2 guys here.
Springs and shocks go hand in hand. Don't expect to get a high rate spring, and not expect to get at least a premium shock.

I will offer this up: If you want to private message me the following information, I can work on putting together an excel file.
As far as information, Think of it in basics:
Year, model, suspension {if your car has an original "Maximum Handling/Competion" package}, sway bars, rim and tire combo, engine, drivetrain, etc. Before and after ride height, wheel lip height off the ground to center of the wheel opening. New bushings {rubber/poly, etc}
Real data, that can be compiled.

I am still moving at the speed of smell, and my time has been at a premium due to my wonderful life I have right now...but I can work on putting something together if you all want to start getting things detailed.

I think, as discussed on the Tire and Wheel thread, this is also something that needs attention, so we can help those who come here looking for help on their projects.

Just trying to do what I can for the group.
And, if you are new here, never a stupid question.
Although, occasionally, you might get this sort of reaction:

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2011 at 8:27AM
Originally posted by Eliteman76 Eliteman76 wrote:

Rear springs, I have been warned to watch the rate, and not increase it too high otherwise it will tend to leave to steering issues at speed. My memory here is fuzzy, and hell if I recall where all my notes are.

Well, I know that when I had my stiffer rear springs in, the car would over steer at high speeds much easier. I lost control once hitting a turn at around 40-45 mph, was able to correct it but  could have been really bad. It could have also been because of the dried up salt scattered about the road. It is less tight now that I changed the springs but my corning feels much more balanced. Tell me if I am wrong but, RWD cars tend to need more sway in the back than in the front to balance between that over and under steer, and of course all this is relative to driving technique.  Also if you are aiming for REAL cornering, lowering your center of gravity as close to the ground as possible is the only way to get real super car handling. True muscle cars never really handled that good in comparison to cars like the vette and viper.
-Billy Conturo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2011 at 10:52AM
i would've guessed a stiff rear would promote understeer to the limit of tire traction?

"With its undesirable combination of biggest body, heaviest curb weight, and wimpiest powerplant, the Challenger performed as expected -- in last place."

makes ya wonder if Dodge even tried to compete in the handling arena?

Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2011 at 11:29AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

"With its undesirable combination of biggest body, heaviest curb weight, and wimpiest powerplant, the Challenger performed as expected -- in last place."

Clap

Well, based on that article I could take one of them any day but every new challenger I have pulled up next to at a red light so far wants nothing to do with me after he (or she) sees my car violently want to twist apart with a few neutral revs of the motor. 

By the way, that new Genesis Coupe with the 3.8 track pack is wicked. Now that is a car that could out handle any Torino, any day, but I consider that a sports car and the Torino a muscle car. You gota remember what you are comparing.  I can fit more chicks in my Torino than some bone head ricer could fit into his Genesis. Wink

This will be my last off topic post in this thread. Cry 
Back to the springs..Geek
-Billy Conturo
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2011 at 3:19PM

Clap

By the way, that new Genesis Coupe with the 3.8 track pack is wicked. Now that is a car that could out handle any Torino, any day, but I consider that a sports car and the Torino a muscle car. You gota remember what you are comparing.  I can fit more chicks in my Torino than some bone head ricer could fit into his Genesis. Wink

Yeah, but my Torino can ram that Genesis right off the track!!!  LOL  Just sayin'...
And as far as the Taco Knight, I think I seen him at the corner of 101A and 27N...
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
Hey Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2011 at 5:02AM
Would anyone like to take a stab at suggesting a set of springs for my '72 torino?  For the photoshoot in Popular Hot Rodding I'm ashamed to admit I used shackles to get that stance although I did tell the editor that the car wasn't done so he knew that going in.  I may end up just cutting a coil off the spring or I've also considered the adjustable coil overs offered by air ride in southern indiana, but those will be pricey.

My car has a 460 with aftermarket a/c, but does have aluminum heads and intake so its heavy, but not as heavy as an iron-headed/intaked 460.  The battery is also in the trunk.  I want a fairly substantial drop like in the pictures of my PHR shoot or maybe even as low as the black torino that is on this thread a few pages earlier that we all saw sell for $35k on ebay.

So suggestions on springs and shocks to match those springs would be greatly appreciated.

Brian
My '72 restomod My Link
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2011 at 5:17AM
Brian-
On the springs, what is your end result you want?
Look over at Ron's thread with his blue 72, and he is going full tilt, but more geared towards a track car.
You are going to need a decent spring...but I want my stuff flat and firm, not wallowing.

Hey Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2011 at 6:28AM
I don't want it to ride like a track car but I also don't want it to ride like a caddy.  So firm, but liveable on the street is what I'm looking for.  This car is mainly used for cruise-ins and will see some limited drag strip duty once I get the exhuast completed.
My '72 restomod My Link
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2011 at 5:38AM
I am running 75-76 Moog heavy duty load springs T bird rears in my car. I can tell you, empty, and a 1/4 tank of gas, the ride will hammer you. If you had a car load of people, and a full tank, or a trunk full of crap on powertour, and the car rode pretty good considering.
They were an old NORS {New old replacement stock} I got off ebay many a moon ago. No complaints.
Just need to get my fronts in order.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2011 at 9:28AM
Springs:
From my past days with my Mustang I ran with 720 lbs/in rate in the front.   Handled well and didn't ride to rough for the street.   Made up for the lower spring rate for Autocross with larger sway bars and Koni shocks. 

From a previous post reference from Eliteman76...stating run no less than 700 lbs/in, I would agree.   I liked the setup on my Mustang, but with these big Torinos I'm leaning toward 820-880 lbs/in in the front.   With the loading in the rear, I'm thinking 350-380ish lbs/in.  
(PS Poly bushing everywhere of course and my ride is a 73 GTS with a 351 Cleveland.)

Anyone have some track time with a stiffer spring setup that can comment.   It would help to not reinvent the wheel here if someone has some track experience.  

Shocks:
Any feedback here would be helpful.   Aside from the typical higher priced options like QA1 coilovers and stock setup with something like Koni....anyone have a setup that worked for them?  
(PS I'm trying to build my GTS to handle corners as well.   Trying for the high 0.8s in a typical skid pad)

Misc Comments:
Front:  Geometry looks ok with some lowering spindles maybe.  Can't go to low, 1" at the most, because the underside scrapes.

Rear:  The stock tri-angulated 4 link looks OK except the upper arms are really short.  This looks like it will bind under compression.  Anyone relocate the upper trailing arms or use a torque arm setup?

Sway Bars:   I can't find any aftermarket bars larger than 1 1/8" in the front.   This large a car I would think a 1 1/2" bar is needed.  

Sorry, but is probably outside the scope of this thread.   If people have more suspension discussions perhaps we should start another thread.   I didn't find anything regarding these topics.

-John
1973 GTS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2011 at 8:21AM

Clap

Well, based on that article I could take one of them any day but every new challenger I have pulled up next to at a red light so far wants nothing to do with me after he (or she) sees my car violently want to twist apart with a few neutral revs of the motor. 

This will be my last off topic post in this thread. Cry 
Back to the springs..Geek
Check out Kenne Bell's work on challengers.  http://www.kennebell.net/superchargers/dodge/Challenger/challenger.htm
Those hemi motors have a lot of potential.   650HP with only 8 psi.  Some of the hemi's internal geometry was based off lessons learned off the old NASCAR dual over head cam hemi.  The DOHC hemi that Chrysler was developing to beat the Ford SOHC 427 before the rule came into effect excluding the motors from competition.

Agreed.  I can't make the Torino handle like a small tuner car with its short wheelbase.   I just want to build it to handle as best that it can and remain a fun street car.   The torino is pretty top heavy as compared to the Genesis or the like.   Lowering is necessary except I just dont have much clearance due to the low hanging headers and exhaust.   I dont like dragging the car over speed bumps, etc.   I want to keep it streetable.

I used the Challenger as a reference because it is a modern car with reasonable handling qualities that is pretty close to the wheelbase of the Torino. 

PS  Eliteman76 had a cool idea with the new ford 6.2L mod motor as a transplant, but that is for another thread.  Wink

Back to the thread topic of springs...quick summary.
It looks like most are swapping to the CV front springs (~710lbs/in) and the wagon springs for the rear or a stock spring rate.   I'm also assuming people are running with 1 1/8" front sway bar and the 7/8" rear bar with those springs??

Edited by BackInBlack - 15-February-2011 at 8:36AM
-John
1973 GTS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2011 at 2:25AM
Originally posted by cowboyupdjcarl cowboyupdjcarl wrote:

All this talk on the front springs...

What about the REARS...

What MOOG Cargo Coils is anyone running?
More info I found in the MOOG book at O'Reilly's and on the phone with Andy
REAR SPRINGS
    Free HT Install HT Rate/Weight Price
72-79 ALL CC801 14.5 9.75 192/870 95
Wagon CC803 14.19 9.75 305/1330  
75 torino CC807 15.25 ?? 180/1000 114.99
73-76 Wagon CC811   10.5 315/1350 81.99
79 and newer ALL CC819   12.69 200/780 95

Looks like CC801will keep stock height, 803 will be ROCK HARD, 807 might raise the rear a little but be a decent ride, the 811 is rock hard and higher,819 is WAY taller but softer ride

So I am getting a set of 801's for the yellow car that will have the wheels tucked inside the wheel lip, but probably need the 807 for the 3.5BS slots on "Ol' Brown" to give it a little more height and stiff to make sure it doesn't rub on top of the tire.

Rear:  (Additional info)
cc801   variable rate       192 lbs/in
cc803   variable rate       305 lbs/in   
cc807   variable rate       180 lbs/in
cc811   variable rate       315 lbs/in 
cc819   variable rate       200 lbs/in

Front:  (from previous post)
MOOG Part # 80090
1998 - 2002 Crown Vic
1998 - 2002 Mercury Grand Marq
Inside Dia Bar Dia Install Height Load rate (lbs) Spring Rate (Lbs/in.) Free Height End Type
4.04                            0.781                   11.75                     2034                       710                          14.38                      One Square End and 1 Tangential End

In the interest of better handling I'm going to use a stock rate spring in the rear.  I'm not going to use the variable rate springs and may have to order constant rate springs for the front and back.  

The front I plan on using the CV spring which is 710 lbs/in or order a 850 lbs/in constant rate spring.   I intend to keep the stock ride height.   Right now I have 4" clearance from the headers to the ground lowering isn't an option unless I build custom headers and use oval exhaust pipes.

Point of reference...I found a Crown Vic Specs built for Bondurant Driving School by Jack Rousch.  It used Eibach springs 1000 lbs/in in the front and 160 lbs/in (both constant rate) in the rear (stock height) with a 2" NASCAR style sway bar in the front and stock 0.7" in the rear.   Obviously, this is for track use and would be a harsher ride on the street which is why I'm backing off the rate in the front.  

Just FYI for anyone interested.
Instructor Car
1999 Police Interceptor Crown Victoria
ENGINE: 1999 SVT Mustang Cobra 4.6L 4V.
320 HP.
Full length Cobra windage tray with modified Mark VIII oil pan.
Emissions controls removed.
Custom Bondurant engine calibration.
Custom H – pipe with catalytic converters removed.
Borla custom dual exhaust system.
Custom cooling system including production 6.8L V10 water pump and radiator, engine driven fan with custom shroud and an 18” electric cooling fan.
1995 SVT Mustang Cobra R engine oil cooler.
Battery relocated to trunk.
WEIGHT: 4,800 Lbs.
TRANSMISSION/ 1999 SVT Mustang Cobra T-45 5 speed with carbon fiber blocking rings.
DRIVETRAIN: B & M Ripper Shifter.
Custom steel drive shaft with safety loop.
3.73:1 axle ratio with production limited slip.
FUEL SYSTEM: Custom 22 gallon racing fuel cell.
1999 SVT Mustang Cobra fuel pump.
Custom stainless steel and braided fuel lines
SUSPENSION: Front:
Eibach 1000 lb per inch springs.
Monroe Shocks with custom calibration.
Winston Cup style 2” diameter solid front sway bar with custom links.
Modified alignment settings:
Camber 1.8 degrees negative
Caster 7.0 degrees positive
Toe 0.0 degrees.
Rear:
Eibach 160 lb per inch springs.
Monroe shocks with custom calibration.
Production .708 diameter solid sway bar.
Production Watts linkages.
BRAKES: Production Crown Victoria disk brakes.
Performance Friction 90 compound race brake pads.
Baer Brakes custom steel braided brake lines.
Custom brake cooling ducts.
WHEELS/ 1995 SVT Mustang Cobra R 17 X 9” wheels.
TIRES : Goodyear Eagle HP Ultra 275/40/R17.
INTERIOR: 1999 SVT Mustang Cobra instrument cluster.
Four point safety harnesses at all four seating locations.
Six point fully integrated Roush safety cage.
10 lb dry chemical fire extinguisher.
Halon fire suppression system with four nozzles.

Edited by BackInBlack - 18-February-2011 at 2:42AM
-John
1973 GTS
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2011 at 2:33AM
I'd be interested to see what that sway bar setup looks like and how it could be easily adapted to our cars. 
Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2011 at 11:46AM
I will post what I figure out.   This helped me figure out the approx spring rates for what I want to do with the car.  I will probably go a little lighter on the front springs (850ish lbs/in vs the 1000lbs/in) and go with a big front sway bar.   

Im just figuring out what I want to do.  I will probably get to the suspension brakes over the summer if I can survive the heat out here.

This is an interesting off-the-shelf Moog spring that might work for the front.   I might use this one and cut it down to size.
PN                             In dia    wire dia      load                  rate             install height  Free height
CC648 4.056 0.875 2300 870 12.75 15.25 One Square End and 1 Tangential End

Edited by BackInBlack - 18-February-2011 at 11:50AM
-John
1973 GTS
GA Army Vet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GA Army Vet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2011 at 2:36PM
Question, my neighbor did the "bounce test" and the pass front shock is bad.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE, and love some more my torino. But I want it safe. Ok the issue is I love the soft floating ride. I live in gov housing so there is alot of speed bumps here. With my back being the way it is, I can finaly get over the pain enough to go for a drive but going over a speed bump to slow or to fast can ruin my drive and make me pull back home. I have custom shocks that are adjustable for bounc on my truck. Even with that I have to go very slow.

How can I put new shocks and springs on and keep it soft? I will put the rearsway bar on, as well as stiffen up the back so I can burn out better. But I would still love to keep some float....  Please help
1973 GTS-351c C6 28sp axle 2.73gears (looking to change)

2004 electric wheelchair super fast!

Disabled Iraq Vet, IED boke my back and severed my nerves into my legs I can walk but it hurts bad.
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2011 at 3:24PM
Keep your springs as is, and get gabriel shocks from Autozone for a 73 GTS  That will keep it pretty floaty. ... the rear sway bar won't really change your speed bump ability. 

Paul

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2011 at 3:41PM
Keep, replace with stock springs.   Sway bars will help with with body lean if you want a little better handling.   Better shocks and sway bars with stock springs will give you better handling with a softer ride.

I like the ride a bit stiff...just my preference.   For a good ride....keep the stock springs.  Just my opinion.

-John
1973 GTS
GA Army Vet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GA Army Vet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2011 at 4:42PM
Yea I know about the bar, I live in the mountains and its almost a must. Can you lower the front with stock springs??

I cant take a hard ride the vibrations kill me, I am not supposed to be in a car longer than 30mins at a time because the vibrations can cause nerve damage. I had this old 1990 buick park ave, with the plus seats and floating ride you could ramp a speed bump at 30 and not hurt!!
1973 GTS-351c C6 28sp axle 2.73gears (looking to change)

2004 electric wheelchair super fast!

Disabled Iraq Vet, IED boke my back and severed my nerves into my legs I can walk but it hurts bad.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2011 at 5:13PM

agree, the more spring rate you have the more shock you need to control the spring

72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 20>