The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

INFO: The Coil Spring Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 20>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2011 at 3:25AM
Andrew,  
Did it lower the car or is it stock ride height?

Thanks,
John
-John
1973 GTS
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2011 at 5:08AM
Originally posted by Psquare75 Psquare75 wrote:

So can we make a blanket statement that 80090 is the way to go?

Looks like Andy went that way, and Gary bought the FoMoCo version before they jacked the prices up, but the same specs...I am buying these right now....
I am on Rock Auto, and they have wholesale closeout for Heavy duty Motorcraft Gas Shocks, part #s AS995 for the front and AS997G for the rear, police interceptor, at only $7.50 each (instead of $20-$40 each for the usual pricing)!!! Picking these up too.
Check your applications, but I bought for '98 CVPI, shocks look the same as '96.  Probably a difference in valving...worth the risk, if ya wanna call it that  LOL
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2011 at 5:40AM
Sorry for not getting stuff posted up pictures yet guys.  I took before and after pictures of the fender lip with a tap measure. I am I want to say in the 27"-27.5" area on the lip off the ground.
Right now, as I don't recall how my GTS say except for the early pictures after I drug it out of the barn, I would consider this closer to a stock height? Not sure, maybe a little lower.
I'm just happy as it raise the front and it doesn't feel like it's going to drag my front roll pan every time I near a curb.

I've been running a HD Motorcraft gas shock specified for a '77 Mark5 with a 460 {came with all the front end parts I took in trade many moons ago.

Good find on the shocks though.

Edited by Eliteman76 - 10-May-2011 at 5:41AM
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2011 at 7:08AM
I have those shocks in my stroker car, and I am very pleased with them.
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Hey Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2011 at 2:56AM
Originally posted by Eliteman76 Eliteman76 wrote:

I've been running a HD Motorcraft gas shock specified for a '77 Mark5 with a 460 {came with all the front end parts I took in trade many moons ago.

Good find on the shocks though.

Do you have part #'s on those shocks?

Thanks.
My '72 restomod My Link
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2011 at 5:05PM
Hey Brian- Long time no hear. Hope all is going good. The Popular Hot Rodding deal is still a favorite article of mine.
I need to dig up the paperwork...off hand I don't remember the #.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2011 at 5:14PM
OK, here are the pictures:
{With this in mind, my GTS currently has a 1970 351C 2v engine, with factory type AC- your combo may vary a bit}

Fender lip height: Roughly 25-1/2"-25-9/16" from the concrete:
After installing the CVPI springs:
Raised to 27-1/2" - 27-3/4".

Difference between the cut lincoln coils I had, and the CVPI moog springs:
Installed:

And some eye candy shots:

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2011 at 5:43PM
Oh, and because I have to, a night shot of the new decal on the trunk...
BackInBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2011 at 6:04PM
Looks good Andrew!

Give that front spring some time...I bet it will settle in a couple months.   In the pics it looked like the 460 spring had a thicker wire.    Was the CPVI spring thicker than the 460?
-John
1973 GTS
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2011 at 9:31PM
Looks GREAT!  Now I feel better about pulling the trigger on the Moogs the other day.  Thanks!  BTW, what tires (front & rear) are you running.  Stance looks nice!
As always, Thanks, Andy!
~Chris

Hey Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2011 at 1:31AM
Looks great Andrew.  I wonder how those wheels would look with the center portion blacked out to match your paint scheme?  Just a thought I had.
My '72 restomod My Link
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2011 at 5:46AM
I'm figuring over time they will settle maybe a 1/2" or so.
I took my mic and checked, the CVPI coil is thicker by 1/8" inch? I want to say I saw .720 vs .765" on the CVPI which I put the mic on it.

Just make sure you order a new set of the rubber isolators. I had to use some 3M electrical tape to keep them on the spring before install.

Brain-
Yes, the color has been something on the list. Was meaning to get it done before powertour but did not get around to it.
I was going to just scuff pad the wheels and use some Duplicolor Ford grey as what's on my hood, but I have a half a gallon of grey out at my painter's shop.
He wants $300 to spray them doing all the work, and I am going to probably do that later this year, followed up with a yellow pinstripe. Just been on the back burner.

Chris-
Tires are Nitto NT450's I bought from Summit racing.
I have right at $1200 total for my wheels and tires.

Hey Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2011 at 6:38AM
So is the grey a dark pewter grey?  I guess I always thought it was black from the pics.  Painting wheels isn't too difficult, but $300 isn't a bad deal either for that work.  I run the nittos on my torino as well and like them a lot.
My '72 restomod My Link
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2011 at 1:06PM
That looks great Andrew! The stance of the car is really nice, and it'd be perfect if they do settle 1/2". I'd be really happy if my car has a stance like that after the new springs. After seening these pics, I am definitely ordering those springs tomorrow.

What size tires are you running on the front?

What springs are you running in the rear?
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2011 at 5:31PM
This is my desktop background for the next 20 minutes and shuffled in with others...

08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2011 at 7:30PM
Yeah, I forget the specific Ford color, I call it Charcoal, but I think it's the Pewter Grey.
What ever was standard for the 2009 CV and trucks.
Front tires are 255/50/R17 NT450 Nitto.
Rear springs are Moog replacements I got off ebay many moons ago. 75-76 T-bird, HD cargo springs? if I recall correctly.
I will tell you, when the car was empty, no glass, no interior, and like a 1/4 tank of gas, the ass of the GTS was a kidney beating affair on rough roads. Now with the interior and glass in, it's only slightly less like driving a bobcat.
I coined this car the Iron Maiden last year...

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2011 at 9:39AM
Thanks Andrew for the info. I order the CVPI springs yesterday.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2011 at 10:26AM
I just got 'em in house last night.  Hopefully I can get em in this week.  I am knee deep in my GTS!
The tranny is rebuilt, the custom bent duals (with X-Pipe!!!) is in. Now, I got the Moog CVPI springs & Insulators, poly bushings all over the place & crown vic police shocks to install...Going to be BUSY.  I will try to get before & after pics with my puny 14" mongrel wheels on there for reference.  
BTW, it's running GREAT.  Though, I did notice my oil pressure gauge has been reading pretty low, so now I got to check THAT out.  Do NOT want to re-rebuild a CJ motor.  $$$$$...
~C

crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2011 at 9:13PM
Good news, the Oil pressure is FINE.  Put a mechanical gauge on it, 60 lbs.  CVPI Springs & bushings are in, handles MUCH flatter than it ever did, no more heavy wallowing in the corners.  The height is about the same as Andy's.  I expect another major improvement once I get the rear sway bar in along with the Metco Lower rear control arms (got to order those soon).  I will get pics up of the front end.
Funny thing is, I have (1) seat 'kind of' bolted in.  Took her out for a ride, and when I took a right turn (kind of hard), I got slammed against the driver's door (my seat shifted).  GOOD thing I didn't take a left or I would have been on the passenger's side floor!  LOL  Better bolt that sucker in now!
Next, I let the air out of the rear shocks and decide if I need rear springs or not.  I am thinking yeah either way, but I need to see how it sits.  THen I got to figure out what to order.  
BTW, those front CVPI shocks I got for $7.50 each from Rock auto fit nicely, and work GREAT.  Gotta love a clearance sale!!!
One last note- refilled the rear end housing with lube.  Damn, it took a TON!  Glad the rear didn't seize before I got to it. Dead
~Chris

crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2011 at 1:25PM

Okay, I got the MOOG CVPI Springs in the front, CVPI Shocks, front control arm bushings, front strut bushings in.  The car did drop about 1 1/4" in the front, handles FLAT.
Then, I let the air out of the rear air shocks & put in CVPI shocks in the back AND....it sits about an inch too low with the original springs (they're tired) Confused
I have a set of CC807 Moog rears on order (1,000 lbs).  The car is way too floaty with the factory rear HD springs cause they are too tired.  No sway bar in YET, I need to finish detailing the frame before I mount it, but I figure between that and the new springs, I should be set.  If I don't like it, I decided I will buy the Moog 803's.  I want this setup just the way I want it.  I got this far, I am going for broke, literally! LOL
I will post pics probably tomorrow so you can see the front, but I like the way the front sits.  So now I will report once I get the rears in and post pics of how she sits after that.  The Never-ending story,lol
~Chris

crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2011 at 11:04PM
Guys,
Here is a shot of the nose.  Cannot wait to replace the mags!!!  She sits about an inch lower.  The MOOG rear springs (cc807's) should be here Friday and I will post pics of the whole car after I do it:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2011 at 2:57AM
Thanks for the pics and feedback.  Will certainly help when Im ready to rebuild the suspension.
-John
-John
1973 GTS
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2011 at 3:11AM
So it sounds like the CVPI springs for the front are the way to go in more than a few cases, and the moog 803 for the rear?
Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2011 at 3:19AM
My objective is to get my torino to handle like a new Dodge Charger R/T.   I'll be very happy to get around >0.85 in a skid pad test.   Unfortunately, money slows the progress.   I'm nearly done with the interior.   My next mission is a nicely built 31 spline true-trac diff, I already have a period correct N Case third member from a Super Cobra Jet.   After that I can't decide to do tranny (5 speed conversion) or the suspension.

Since I can't decide to keep the 351C (stroked) or put in a 460 I'll probably wait on the motor/trans.

Edited by BackInBlack - 02-June-2011 at 3:20AM
-John
1973 GTS
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2011 at 3:23AM
I'd probably do the suspension and brakes first. 
Paul

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2011 at 3:34AM
Your probably right...
I wanted to build the car the way I want it.  Then tear it down to do frame-off paint/body.   However, I want to drive it and have some fun while I work on it.   It has 70k original miles so there is no hurry on a motor/trans other than minor low cost upgrades to make it more fun to drive.   

If anyone with these suspension upgrades wouldn't mind trying a slalom run or simple 200ft skid pad test.  It would be helpful to see how your setups compare with newer cars.   Videos or pics of body lean would be helpful too.  I know its a pain to do...   Right now its pretty subjective  compared to an old "family car" ride 70's car to Police suspension setup.

I know that I wont be happy until I get it to really handle well without completely killing some comfort.   It still is a street car that I'll load up the family to attend car shows.
-John
-John
1973 GTS
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2011 at 5:07AM
The only example I have is the highway on ramp I use for testing.. this is before tire squealing

93 Cavalier Z24 ~47 MPH -- Modded with poly bushings, lowered, Pirelli Pzero Nero on 16" wheels

05 Cobalt SS ~52 MPH ~ Lowered, I forget what tires he has, but low pro 17s

77 Cougar XR7 ~ 40 MPH - Modded with poly bushings, front and rear sway bars, on VERY cheap Mastercraft tires. Tons of sidewall deflection from 225 75 15s

78 Cougar XR7 ~ 45-46 MPH - Modded with same bushings and sway bars, big block springs cut in front, Nitto NT450s on 17" wheels and tires.

2003 Lincoln Town Car ~ 43-44 MPH. Stock. Doesn't plow as much as the Cougar, but, almost.. 17" wheels and tires.

Not very scientific, but, it's what I have, lol... Take these actual numbers with a grain of salt, as well.

Wheels and tires matter, from what I've seen... If I had $, I'd put Pirellis on my 78 Cougar and see how that goes. 

Edited by Psquare75 - 02-June-2011 at 5:08AM
Paul
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2011 at 12:30PM
Originally posted by Psquare75 Psquare75 wrote:

So it sounds like the CVPI springs for the front are the way to go in more than a few cases, and the moog 803 for the rear?

I do like the way the CVPI springs act.  Nice and flat.  For the rears, I am going with the Moog 807s (1,000 lbs) for the rear.  This is slightly higher than the 960 or so lbs factory HD suspension my car had stock, but not as harsh as the CC803's.  The MOOG CC803 has 1,300 lbs and one of the guys said it was like a cement mixer, so I am trying these first.  
If it still feels too mushy, I will throw in the 803s.  This weekend is SHOT, so even if I get the 807s, they won't be in until next weekend. I will post pics when they are in so you can see, along with my opinion on ride harshness.
Paul, I liked your science!  Good stuff!!! Smile
~Chris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2011 at 1:32PM
Thanks for all the feedback!
Some information is better than none!   That is still helpful and useful comparison.   I know to take it easy with the rear springs due to the weight bias to the front.   Stock or a little stiffer should be enough with more sway bar in the rear IMO.   I'm leaning to 850lbs/in springs in the front from Carl's racing.  He has 5" OD springs in a variety of spring rates that should fit the mount locations and ID of the stock springs.    Having a data point with the CVPI springs (700lbs/in) with stock sway bars is a very helpful data point.

Im planning 17-18" wheels with 40 to 45 series tires...I like some sidewall but not to much deflection.
-John
1973 GTS
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2011 at 12:49PM
Okay, Okay!  So I lost my patience and decided to 'make time' to do the rears.  Here are before and after shots, replacing tired HD rear springs with CC807s by Moog.  The 807s have 1,000 lb spring rate over the 860 or so lbs of stock.  These rate about like the original Torino Police springs, but not as hard as the 1,300 lb CC803s I was considering.  Original height of tired springs, 26":

Edited by crispy23c - 05-June-2011 at 12:53PM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 20>