The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

whats the difference

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: whats the difference
    Posted: 24-December-2009 at 8:27AM
hey guys whats the difference between the gran torino and the gran torino sport?     we are trying to determine what rout we want to go with our resto-mod on our 72.   I cant seem to pin point a good answer to this.

thanks,   have a Merry Christmas everyone
moose0211 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moose0211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-December-2009 at 8:47AM
Gran torino sports are usually fastbacks, but they made some sport coupes, a sport was basically the "cadillac" of the bunch. so the Sport is more valuable but they are both awesome cars!
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-December-2009 at 9:27AM
The Sport had molded door panels as opposed to the rest of the Gran Torinos. The Sport also had the hood. I don't know that you could get the Ralley gauges or the competition suspension on either of the other Gran Torino's either. 

Chuck
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-December-2009 at 3:19PM
sports are standard v-8 cars
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

rab1969 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rab1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2009 at 3:28AM

as stated earlier the sport has the molded door pannels and the gt hood w/hood scoope and some came with rally pack also the sport had dual racing mirros and was the only way you could get the laser stripes and the base engine was the 302ci

72grantorinonut
Allen
GranTorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2009 at 4:23AM
I've only seen factory Hood Pins offered on the Sport package too, my '72 GTS came with the pins but I since pulled them off and filled the holes for that clean look. Here's a '73 with Hood Pines and a shaker, looks pretty good if everything is done right.

Edited by GranTorinoMan - 26-December-2009 at 4:26AM
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2009 at 1:37PM
I pulled this info off of the Ford Torino page at grantorinosport.org.  Paul~

TORINO SERIES ‑ (ALL ENGINES) ‑ Two basic lines of intermediate‑sized Ford Torinos remained for 1972. Both the base Torino models and the top‑line Gran Torinos were restyled from end-to‑end. The Torino models featured chrome windshield, rear window and rain gutter moldings; high back bench seats; all‑vinyl seat and door trim; floor mats; hubcaps with trim rings: 250 cid six‑cylinder engine; and three‑speed manual transmission. The Torino station wagon also included power front disc brakes and three‑way tailgate. The Gran Torino was the top trim level for 1972 and included all the Torino trim, plus manual front disc brakes cloth and vinyl trim on seats and interior door panels: carpeting, lower body side, wheel well and deck lid moldings; dual‑note horn; trunk mat; Deluxe steering wheel; and chrome trim on the foot pedals. The Gran Torino Squire wagon also included the 140 hp, 302 cid V‑8 engine; Deluxe pleated vinyl interior trim; wheel covers; and wood grain appliqués on the body sides, tailgate and instrument panel. The Gran Torino Sport was the sports version of the Gran Torino line and included all the Gran Torino features, plus the 140 hp, 302 cid V‑8 engine; pleated, all vinyl trim; hood scoops; color‑keyed dual racing mirrors; and a unique grille. 

From there, you could order options and accessories either from the factory or as dealer installed options.  Here's the link to the options/accessories for 1972.

Edited by picon3 - 26-December-2009 at 1:40PM
1972 GTS 351CJ-4V black/black
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2009 at 2:46PM
well that about sums it up! doesn't it?
I think not...
After watching this thread and wondering most of the same thing here is what I found FROM THE SITE...

The SPORT was just a package with the 140 hp, 302 cid V‑8 engine; pleated, all vinyl trim; hood scoops; color‑keyed dual racing mirrors; and a unique grille.

So that means NONE of the other motor options were "SPORT" models?
here is what it says further down...

HARDTOPS ‑ The intermediate market is dominated by hardtop buyers. For the total industry, over 70% of all intermediate sales are in the two‑door hardtop body type. Major competition sells almost 7510 of its mix in two‑door hardtops while Torino's mix is slightly over 55%. The 1972 Torino series has four 2‑door hardtop models ‑ the standard Torino, Gran Torino, Gran Torino Sport‑Formal and Gran Torino‑SportsRoof ‑ to compete in this hot selling 2‑door hardtop intermediate market.

That tells me the SPORT only came on the 2 doors with the 302.
Also on the page it says there is a RALLYE group and THAT meant the 351 and 400 motors, so that tells me SPORT does not mean the other engines either...

The new Rallye Equipment Group, which includes popular performance equipment, and the Instrumentation Group will appeal to driving and performance enthusiasts. A new 351 CID 4V V‑8 and 400 CID 2V V‑8 along with other power team advancements mean new and better performance for '72.

and a new Laser Tape Stripe is available on Gran Torino Sport and Gran Torino 2‑door models.

So THAT tells me the stripe is NOT the designator for the SPORT either.
Here is another spot on the site that talks about the SPORT...

GRAN TORINO SPORT 

MODELS                                     SALES NUMBER
2-Door Hardtop-Formal Roof                     38
2-Door Hardtop-SportsRoof                       35

MAJOR STANDARD FEATURES

EXTERIOR

In addition to or in place of features on the Gran Torino series:
• Performance-styled Gran Torino Sport hood with integral hood scoop.
• Dual outside racing mirrors, color-keyed-left-hand remote control, right-hand manual control.
• Bright accented hub caps with trim rings.

INTERIOR

• Plush deep-horizontal pleated all vinyl trim.
• Attractive harmonizing door trim with molded-in arm rest.
• Deluxe two-spoke steering wheel with simulated woodtone applique.
• Bright rimmed pedal pads.

FUNCTIONAL

• Powerful 302 CID 2V V-8 engine.
• E70 x 14 wide oval belted WSW tires with 6" wide rim wheels.

(i) Minimum on 2-door with 302 engine. See Tire Availability

AGAIN, SPORT means 302 engine cars ONLY?
It shows the 302 was available in the SPORT and the SQUIRE WAGON only.
Also the only one with hubcaps and trim rings.
Only one with the SPORT letters on the fenders
fastback SPORT had tinted rear window
SPORT package was the ONLY one that offered the Dual racing mirrors, with the LH being remote.
Now I am THOROUGHLY CONFUSED!!!
Read the OPTIONAL equipment page... now the other motors are options and other things that COULD have been put in a car that was a SPORT!

Damn Ford played ALOT of games back then!

So I guess the biggest things I have been able to see that make a car a SPORT...
is the FACTORY
Sport interior
Hood with Scoops
Dual Mirrors
and a couple other small things.

Looks like you can tell if the car came standard as the SPORT with the 2 letter trim code on the tag starting with D,E,F, or M.
D and E are for Sport Cloth Bench Seats (D in standard cars, E in SPORT cars)
F is for the STANDARD SPORT Vinyl bench seat
M is for the SPORT knitted vinyl bucket.

The VIN Decoder shows a TRUE SPORT as a "38" in the VIN IDs it as a

2-drSptHT Cpe-6P

So you can get alot of the SPORT options on a car but a TRUE SPORT came from the factory marked with a 38 in the VIN?
THAT tells me a SPORT could not be a fastback because the Fastback is a 35 in the VIN

2-drFsBk Cpe-6P

EVEN MORE CONFUSION!

More interesting info as you read... more than twice as many fastbacks as there were SPORTS made from the factory?

OK, WTF!?
Will I EVER understand any of this?
Is this why our cars do not bring big money as there really is no CROWN JEWEL in the world of Gran Torinos?
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2009 at 2:49PM
alot of the info contradicts itself!

So I guess a SPORT is a Factory 302 Formal roof with a 38 in the VIN.
that is the true Ford Gran Torino SPORT.

All others are OPTION filled/ordered.

All that got me thinking... what is my car!?
it is a 302, formal roof, non scooped hood, non sport steering wheel and single NON racing style mirror.

So I pulled the title...
vin reads 30F
meaning

2-drHT-6P

2878/2967

3395/3474

with a 302

The literature says the 302 was an option on the 72 but was standard in the SPORT.

Pulling my hair out...
Time...

NOW!!

Edited by cowboyupdjcarl - 26-December-2009 at 2:56PM
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2009 at 7:20AM
for 1972, what they mean is, the sport got a 302(F) for a base engine, no 6 cyl. you could order a 351cj (Q)or a 400(S) or a 429(N)  instead of the 302.

yes you could get lasers on non sport cars,  they didnt say 'sport'
 35 is the code in the vin for sport  fastback, you could not get a fastback without sport option in 72.
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2009 at 8:08AM
Originally posted by ramair351 ramair351 wrote:

for 1972, what they mean is, the sport got a 302(F) for a base engine, no 6 cyl. you could order a 351cj (Q)or a 400(S) or a 429(N)  instead of the 302.

yes you could get lasers on non sport cars,  they didnt say 'sport'
 35 is the code in the vin for sport  fastback, you could not get a fastback without sport option in 72.

So that means ALL fastbacks had the hood scoop, dual mirrors and the sport door panels?

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2009 at 8:35AM
yes 72-73 thats correct. no hood scoop for 73 though.    in 71 you could get a fastback in non GT or cobra trim
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2009 at 8:48AM
well that cleared up alot...
ALL fastbacks were SPORTS.

Formal roofs that were SPORTS had the VIN designator "38"
Even though they were SPORTS the formal roof could come with ANY of the motor options just not the 6cyl.
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2009 at 9:04AM
you got it.   
 trivia note: 70-71 cobra's vin designation was 38, and they were all fastbacks
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

albo74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2009 at 10:51AM
 Hey guys I didnt think you could buy a  fast back in any year 72 or73  that wasnt a sport, its seems that the differance to me would be in that  the factory collective package  would determine this, further more ,  the more options the better , if I was going to restore a 72 fast back it needs to be a sport, if it is a formal roof car makes no differance but Iwould want all the options I can get . 73 has its own badge and for that reason alone I want a sport model ,   In 76 no sport model but all the options availably, which  makes a S&H fully loaded car so cool and worth all the bucks.  so   ...     MAKE IT A SPORT !

Edited by albo74 - 27-December-2009 at 11:02AM
albos73gts
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2009 at 11:13AM
One tidbit of info also from the options/accessories link.  You could not get the dual racing mirrors with special order paint like in my case where it was special order black from the factory.  So my 72 GTS came with a standard chrome remote mirror on the driver's side only.  You'll notice that I added the passenger racing mirror and had to drill holes in the passenger door as there were none. 

Mirror, Outside Color-Keyed Dual Racing (Includes
left-hand remote control and right-hand manual con-
trol mirrors. Standard on Gran Torino Sport models.
Not available with special paint.)
1972 GTS 351CJ-4V black/black
albo74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2009 at 11:26AM
 Yes because the mirrors  were painted on another line and they only bought left hand chrome mirrors for factory install ,  Gran torino man nice bumper on that yellow 73 thats what I Hope for
albos73gts
 Post Reply Post Reply