The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

INFO: 72 - 79 Gauge Clusters and Wiring

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
rrlcommish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrlcommish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2013 at 3:15PM
Question...I am converting my '72 from standard to sport cluster.  This thread is awesome.  But I don't see much discussion about the actual harnesses.  My old standard harness is pretty rotten, and I worry that if I would buy a used one off eBay or whatever, that it would also have a lot of rot and need rebuilding.  So, has anyone tried this Painless Wiring website?  They supposedly have one:

Has anyone used this?  Or is this a bad idea?  It IS expensive, I'll say that.  Any thoughts or suggestions?
1972 Gran Torino Sport Fastback, Bored 30-over 351C - 4V, Lt Blue, Pertronix Ignitor, dual exhaust with Turbo mufflers, otherwise stock
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2013 at 4:48PM
I have not used one, but I will say in general that Painless makes good products, and the fact that it is geared specifically for Fords of this genre then it should be a reasonable thing to get. If you are comfortable with circuits, electrical troubleshooting and wire connection/splicing methods, then I would recommend it.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
zjosh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2013 at 3:55PM
do you know the measurements of these openings for the 74 gauges?
carguy47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carguy47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2013 at 1:37PM
Philou,
search through the forum and there is a wiring diagram for you to review and identify which wires from the pin connector to replace. Short of that, your guess is as good as mine
You have to build em to drive em!
zjosh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2013 at 2:03AM

This photo shows the difference between the '72 and '73 Gauge Cover and the later year covers:

Does anyone the dimension of the gauge opening on the gauge cover for the 74 Torino?
mkshelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2014 at 5:52PM
What can I do if I'm trying to replace my 76 standard cluster with an older standard cluster? Am I SOL?
"Sometimes I wonder if I'm actually UNinventing the wheel"
mkshelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2014 at 5:55PM
The code on the back of my replacement says 72 and it matches the pic that was posted so I'm p pretty sure it's from a 72.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2014 at 6:50PM
according to pg 1 of this thread 72-73 had 12 pin connectors and 74-79 had 14 pin connectors, so it's not looking to good for your swap, unless you had the 12 pin connector with several inches of the wires to splice onto your harness, but with all that work i'd just swap your std. for a sport cluster that's what i did. i had to change 2 or 3 wires into different pin locations and wire the tach and that heavy shunt wire, but it all worked out great
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
mkshelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2014 at 7:11PM
Yeah I found that out. My existing harness is bigger. I already have an aftermarket 3 gauge kit installed in the lower dash so what if hook up the appropriate wires directly to the fuel gauge and lights? is that workable?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2014 at 7:34PM
you could do that, just trace down the printed circuit to the pin in the connector one at a time so you know which wire connects to which stud on the back of that stock gauge.
whats wrong with you 76 cluster? i have my std. 74 cluster still, it's now a "parts cluster"

Edited by californiajohnny - 26-July-2014 at 7:38PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
mkshelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2014 at 3:10PM
The 76 cluster completely crumbled and disinergrated.
bdaugette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdaugette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2015 at 8:55AM
In the top right corner of the 72 Rally Cluster there are 2 square holes, I assume they are for lights?  Can anyone fill me in on what goes there?  I have 2 empty holes on the cluster I bought for converting from my standard gauges...
Bill Daugette
72 GTS 351C 4V
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2015 at 9:13AM
you may not need them, i think mine was door ajar and the other was fasten seat belts lights

you did get a sport cluster bezel to go with the cluster right?

Edited by californiajohnny - 06-February-2015 at 9:15AM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Ranchero Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2015 at 11:26AM
Fasten seat belts & warning light for the emergency brake. But mine is a '73 with lighting convenience group option(underhood light, glove compartment light, ashtray light, & lights on reminder buzzer).
Brian   1973 Ford Ranchero Big Block. ''THE OTHER WOMAN''
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2015 at 2:25AM
those two warning lights changed from year to year and could possibly be different in the same year depending upon options, or they could be left unused 

back on the first page of this thread look at the printed circuit info, for 74-76 they were for Brake Warning & Low Fuel, note that the OP is stating that there are 6 total printed circuits used over the production life of the series, have you determined which printed circuit you have? 

Edited by Rockatansky - 07-February-2015 at 8:44PM
72 GT Ute

GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2015 at 6:17PM
In my 75 the two lights were Seat Belts and Low Fuel Economy.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
bdaugette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdaugette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2015 at 2:01AM
Interesting stuff.  I will think about what to put there, if anything.  I may consider putting the brake light, and possibly the high beam light, just so there is something in the holes.  They don't have lenses in them, so I will have to work something up for that too...

Bill Daugette
72 GTS 351C 4V
PhillP View Drop Down
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2015 at 7:36AM
Hey guys and gals, I am new to this sight and I  think I'm on the right topic and have found some input on the web, but it was all overwhelming. I have a 72 gts with a factory tach that I am almost finished with.  Problem is that my tach doesnt work with my msd 6al ignition.  Ive installed the tach adapter per msd instructions but the tach still just jumps up and down slowly.  I even found this solution in an older forum but when I click on the link I am routed to Amazon to buy a pair of mechanix gloves??  Any help would be appreciated 
Phillip
tom72torino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom72torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2016 at 7:38PM
Hello!
I will replace a 72' standard to a sport cluster.
Who of you has that made and could give me infos/ pictures...everything. What have to do and to be aware of.
Basically fits the 12 pin connector of my standard for the sport cluster? Is only the pinout different here?
Thanks a lot!Thumbs Up

Have a nice day!
Greetings from austria!
Thomas
BackInBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2016 at 10:01AM
I've been thinking about building a replacement cluster and use some descent gauges.  Has anyone attempted that yet?
-John
1973 GTS
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2016 at 10:17AM
Originally posted by BackInBlack BackInBlack wrote:

I've been thinking about building a replacement cluster and use some descent gauges.  Has anyone attempted that yet?

Yes, some folks have done this.  I don't recall who, but they basically used modern gauges custom fitting them to their original clusters.  I seem to remember seeing a couple of them in the Project section.  Maybe, they'll chime in.  I'm planning on doing this with my 79 T-bird.  EDIT:  Found this post

Carl has also started a project to build clusters from scratch for our cars, that would accommodate modern gauges.  Here's Carl's post.

Edited by n2fordwagons - 31-March-2016 at 10:24AM
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2016 at 3:52PM
Thanks, Yes.

The thread about could I do this, yes you CAN do it but.
As I said in my new project I am making it all out of NEW materials, new wiring and new gages.
Making it as a consumer installable piece.

Carl, Member/Admin since 07. Still the same admin/moderator REGUL8R just needed a 2nd account for more picture space.
Owner- www.CaNDeCustoms.com
tom72torino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom72torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2016 at 12:06AM
Does anyone have the right pinouts of the 72 standard and sport gauge connectors. I mean where the cables goes to or an wiring diagram. I'm converting from standard to sport and wants to know which pins i must change. Thanks Thomas
Have a nice day!
Greetings from austria!
Thomas
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2017 at 5:48PM
OK, here's a question no one asked and never spoke on.....What to do about the pigtail hanging out the firewall in the engine compartment for the sport cluster. I don't want to cut it off and just splice wires in. Is there anyone selling pigtails? Or does anyone have another way to save this plug?

Jim

Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2017 at 4:09AM
I may have this harness but worse case find another harness, and use a 4 ping trailer weatherpack connector.
Or buy crimp connectors and heat drink the four together.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
gentrysgarage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gentrysgarage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2017 at 9:18AM

Kinda timely as I will soon need to replace the taillight connectors on the Torino soon I thought I'd help us both. While not stock, I do feel these are better connectors

HTH
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2017 at 2:40PM
Ok....I've read most of this here..... my question is.... if I have both a sport cluster 73 car and a standard cluster 73 car... can I just swap parts between the two? And if so, which parts?
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2017 at 3:20PM
the std main connector will plug into the sport cluster but you will need to wire the tach, amp, clock? to the appropriate wires under the hood! well it's a bit more involved actually not too bad though
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2017 at 3:56PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

the std main connector will plug into the sport cluster but you will need to wire the tach, amp, clock? to the appropriate wires under the hood! well it's a bit more involved actually not too bad though

if you have the sport underhood harness though its basically a plug and play with the right senders, correct?

Edited by MrSmog - 05-June-2017 at 4:05PM
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2017 at 6:10PM
basically, there is that other connector on the under dash harness that connects below the booster that 4 prong connector thing???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>