The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

INFO: 72 - 79 Gauge Clusters and Wiring

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
NeillNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeillNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2018 at 5:17PM
Finally I have my hands on the first batch. Very happy. Here are some unedited photos I took just now:

jversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2018 at 4:35AM
Looks really good . When will you be shipping them . I put in for one , you should have my name down. if not PM me and I will get the info to you .
Jerry VerSchneider
1972 Gran torino formal roof H Code
1973 Gran torino fast back H code.
NeillNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeillNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2018 at 11:49AM
Originally posted by jversch jversch wrote:

Looks really good . When will you be shipping them . I put in for one , you should have my name down. if not PM me and I will get the info to you .

IHope to send them all to Andy by the end of this week or early next week at the latest.  I need to cut them out, fit the snaps, inspect and Andy and I are still working on the documentation.  

It will take about a week to get to him and then he can start sending them out.

andrewok1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewok1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2018 at 12:10PM
i am figuring around the 10th of April for shipping , Neill is going to post aalink to all of the people that has requested all ready  ,I have a list and will forward it to Neil /ANDY
GET IT GOT IT GONE !!!!!!!
jversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2018 at 5:37AM
I got mine in the mail yesterday . Looks great .Thumbs UpClapClap
Jerry VerSchneider
1972 Gran torino formal roof H Code
1973 Gran torino fast back H code.
andrewok1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewok1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2018 at 5:47AM
andrewok1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewok1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2018 at 1:03AM
i have these on craigslist as well mention this site ,shipped they are listed a t 150.00 otherwise,we have 5 yet to sell , a few people never got back to me / ANDY

Edited by andrewok1 - 25-June-2019 at 12:29PM
NeillNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeillNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2018 at 12:24AM
The Sport cluster has arrived from Andy. I have started tracing the circuit. Still a couple of cut-outs to trace, my eyes are too tired right now. Once I've done those two cut-outs I'll have this made as a mech and trial fit it to the cluster/housing. I'm sure there will be some adjustments as there are a lot of peg holes in this design to get exactly right.

Timustbe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timustbe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2018 at 12:17PM
Is it true the sport cluster is ready?  I am very interested in obtaining one.
Tim Northcutt
'72 Ford Gran Torino Sport (Pearl White)
'07 Jack Roush SC F-150 (red)
'02 HD Road King Classic (Luxury Blue and Diamond Ice)
rancheromac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rancheromac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2020 at 3:56AM
I have a 79 w/ transplanted 460. I got a 120 speedo from a 76 that had a 460. do I still need the shunt set up for the factory tach ? I plan on putting aftermarket oil and volt meters 
andrewok1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewok1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2020 at 6:24AM
yes
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2020 at 2:04PM
the shunt in the diagram is for the ammeter... so installing a volt meter i dont think you'll need to worry about it?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
squarethumps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squarethumps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2020 at 11:55AM
Hi - going to butt in here for a second, as there are numerous posts about swapping a sport cluster in to a standard cluster. Interestingly, this thread I started here :

http://forum.grantorinosport.org/topic18750.html

torino thread on electrical cluster

discusses the status of my attempt to install what I believe to be a '74 Sport Gauge Cluster into a '76 Standard wiring. Page 2 has the latest analysis of what I've investigated and what I think I need to do. I was not able to determine a couple of changes, so there is some question there, if anyone might offer an opinion.   Reading earlier in this thread ( which - BTW - WOW NICE WORK GUYS!!!! ), this post in the link below seems to identify the same things I did, only better and more correctly. The post says to "correct <Mr. Zebra> if he is wrong", and I did not see anyone correct him. So the question is : Is he, and I ( if I move wire 10 to wire 11 position, and wire 11 to wire 12 position as his post suggests ) correct with which wires need to move to put this '74 Gauge Cluster into a '76 standard harness ? It must be noted that his post is about putting a '77 Sport Gauge cluster ( I didn't think "Sports" were made after '75? ) into a '76.

http://forum.grantorinosport.org/forum_posts.asp?TID=2933&PID=74737&title=info-72-79-gauge-clusters-and-wiring#74737

Thanks ahead of time to all who take the time to read and help out.

(California Johnny is already a part of the other thread and has been most helpful)

I'll also put another post script here about the P.C. and position 12 how there is a break in the circuitry right beside the connector, and I don't understand that, and I'm not sure if Zebra's cluster P.C. has that or not ?

Edited by squarethumps - 28-November-2020 at 1:20PM
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2020 at 1:26PM
See if this helps 
Steve M.
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2020 at 1:35PM
Steve M.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squarethumps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2020 at 1:37PM
That picture ( the FIRST picture you posted which is sideways ) does seem to confirm what my wiring male ( on the car ) connection will have AFTER I've finished moving the wires. I am literally moving them right now. I'm rather excited to see ... something ? dash lights ? fuel level ? It will be the first time I've seen anything.

( This will be, of course, if I didn't already ruin one or more of the components by plugging the connection in already and running the car. )

Edited by squarethumps - 28-November-2020 at 1:42PM
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2020 at 1:38PM
These are my notes for doing exactly what you're doing. 
Steve M.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squarethumps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2020 at 1:41PM
Originally posted by Steve M. Steve M. wrote:

hmmmm .... this one really causes confusion for me now .. what I see and tracked down for pins 1 and 14 seem to show the opposite of what is hand written in that picture ?   Are we sure about those hand written notes ? Or maybe I'm missing something ?
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2020 at 1:49PM
If for some reason the oil pressure and temperature gauges are switched, just switch the gauge position in the cluster. 
Steve M.
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2020 at 2:29PM
Thats correct.  Ford had different pin outs in the 1976 model. I  used the diagram with the color coded wires pictured above.  It worked like a charm.
  Basically your going to move the oil pressure and temperature gauge wires to the correct location in the connector. My two leftover wires went into the two unused positions. 
Steve M.
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2020 at 2:33PM
My hand written notes are what I started with. I was not the 1st person to mess with the cars wires. 
Steve M.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squarethumps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2020 at 2:37PM
Ok -- now I understand, I think !    Thank you for the confirmations.

So..... I'm lazy and I don't want to post twice, so if anyone wants to follow my results, I'll be updating my original thread.   ( I just moved all the wires and tested with mixed results )

Also here for convenience:
http://forum.grantorinosport.org/topic18750.html

Thanks for the responses here.   Cheers.
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2021 at 1:08AM
One thing that I had to do when converting from a standard cluster to the sport cluster was extend the oil pressure sender.  This piece will do the trick. I  found this after going to the plumbing section of the local True Value and building my own. 
This works great for a 351W. 
Steve M.
forddude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forddude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2021 at 9:29AM
anyone know how to adjust the mileage odometer w/o breaking it?  I’ve removed the speedo from the cluster but not sure how to adjust the mileage?
 I’m doing a sport cluster swap and want to match my orig mileage.  Thanks in advance.
72 GTS sportsroof, original survivor
72 GTS formal, parted
96 Tbird 4.6, 18k org mi
13 Stang 5.0 6spd
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2021 at 10:32AM
The old Ford odometers are very easy to change. Be sure to clean the speedometer spinning ring before installing that back in, it's often forgotten. Oil from your fingers will affect the accuracy of the gauge, just wipe it with alcohol etc, right before putting it back in.

The odometer numbers wheel can be carefully pried out from one end. Look at it closely and use patience and a small screw driver. Once you figure out how to get one end to come out of the grooved end, the other part comes out easily. Be gentle and watch how it goes together, comes apart etc. It has to go back in the same way, to line up the gears. Once out, it's not hard to move the tiny wheels apart and rotate them separately. Go slow, be easy and you can get it set in a few minutes. Then put it back in, clean etc. 
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
forddude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forddude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-August-2021 at 2:27AM
I was unsuccessful trying pliers to remove the small shaft that the small color gears are on. I was reluctant to attempt to remove the main odometer unit with the number wheels.  That plastic drive gear on the one end has me nervous. Does not look like it can be removed from the other end.
72 GTS formal, parted
96 Tbird 4.6, 18k org mi
13 Stang 5.0 6spd
Timustbe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timustbe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2021 at 8:29PM
Good day and thanks in advance.  I'm writing to ask about the ammeter schematic you have detailed.  I am trying to rewire my entire car and followed your diagram exactly and was wondering where the connection goes after the insulation junction block.  I can only guess it attaches somewhere near to on on the alternator.  Looking forward to hearing back from you.
Tim Northcutt
'72 Ford Gran Torino Sport (Pearl White)
'07 Jack Roush SC F-150 (red)
'02 HD Road King Classic (Luxury Blue and Diamond Ice)
forddude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forddude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2021 at 10:09AM
Hey fellas,  question wiring the Tach on my 72 cluster swap. I’m doing 72 to 72 sport gauge swap with the factory 2 wire Tach. I understand I have to run a wire from the + coil to Tach and a second wire from ignition to Tach. My question is where to connect the ignition wire? Can I connect the IGN wire directly to one of the 15amp fuses in the fuse box?  
 I don’t have the factory sport gauge wire harness so I’m running 2 new wires directly into the brown 6-pin squarish cluster connector. 

Also what is everyone doing with the unused ALT warning bulb since it has no place in the sport cluster?  

Thanks in advance. 
72 GTS formal, parted
96 Tbird 4.6, 18k org mi
13 Stang 5.0 6spd
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2021 at 10:34AM
where it says "ign" and " coil" on the back of the tach is kinda misleading the power from the ign switch that powers the coil flows through the tach!!! similar to how an amp gauge works... it senses the power flow through it to readWink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
forddude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forddude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2021 at 12:28PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

where it says "ign" and " coil" on the back of the tach is kinda misleading the power from the ign switch that powers the coil flows through the tach!!! similar to how an amp gauge works... it senses the power flow through it to readWink

Ah ok, thanks that helps me understand the direction of the flow. So where is the ignition switch wire that I splice into? 
72 GTS formal, parted
96 Tbird 4.6, 18k org mi
13 Stang 5.0 6spd
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>