Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

INFO: 1972 - 1979 Body Insulator Bushings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: INFO: 1972 - 1979 Body Insulator Bushings
    Posted: 04-January-2010 at 4:51PM
Taken from Ranchero.us with permission of 72GTVA

Attached are some diagrams for Body Mounts: If we find a source for bushings correctly sized we'll post that information too:

Note: Sometime between '73 and '75 the #4 body mount was eliminated and, the #5 mount on the 77-79 models is not a bolt in unit like the 72-76 models. The frame does not have an access for the hardware. They use a press in type rubber mount that sits on the frame and the body just lays on that (no hardware).

If you have any updated measurements or information send me a note and we'll include it with this Reference Note.

Edited by Psquare75 - 05-January-2010 at 4:38AM
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
smitty-1976 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitty-1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2010 at 7:14AM
Energy Suspension has a universal Body Mount that I used on my '76. Look under universal products.  I am going off memory but i believe the number is 9.4102.

Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2010 at 4:10PM
Hey, just a little tidbit I wanted to also pass along.
Late model crown vic body mounts are identical to the original Torino units.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2010 at 4:18PM
tell me more Andy!!!!
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2010 at 4:43PM
While I was out at the yard pulling the tbird/CV seats and wandering around, there was a police cruiser I want to say 2000-2002 in the yard, and it was missing a 1/4. Went over and the body bushings were easy enough to get at, and the thing looked about identical to the Torino.
Pulling it out of the frame, they have the same little bump that my originals had, for alignment in the frame.
I didn't see the lower body bushing, but it's something worth taking a look at.

73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2010 at 1:50AM
For those who missed this post.......

73GTS View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2009 at 6:18PM
I didn't know which post to post this to, so I'm pasteing to all that apply. Wink

"Originally posted by rab1969

AFTER MORE RESEARCH AND A $20.00 CHANCE I HAVE FOUND THAT 2008 FORD CROWN VICTORIA BODY MOUNTS AND RADIATOR SUPPORT MOUNTS ARE THE EXACT SAME MOUNTS. I JACKED THE BODY UP AND REMOVED AN OLD MOUNT AND REPLACED IT WITH THE NEW ONE AND LOWERD THE BODY BACK DOWN . AND IT WAS A PERFECT MATCH. WITH NO MODIFACTIONS WHAT SO EVER ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS REPLACE THE BOLT THAT COMES WITH THE MOUNTS WITH THE ORGINAL ONE OR REPLACE THE BOLT WITH A NEW ONE. THE PART NO. ARE (UPPER MOUNT)6W1Z-5400396-A AND (LOWER) 6W1Z-5C155-AA. YOU CAN ORDER THESE PARTS WHOLESALE THRU BOB UTTER FORD OUT OF TEXAS. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR PROJECT."
I just purchased 1 of these mounts to see if in fact it would work. Here's what I came up with. Keep in mind my body is on a rotisserie and my frame is on a cart on it's side so it made it pretty easy to check every mounting area out.

Upper mount - only difference is it's about 1/8"-1/4" taller [not too big of a deal] Other than that it's a perfect fit. (10 mounts)
Lower mount - The size is perfect, but where it contacts the frame it's cone shaped as if it would wedge into a hole. (not flat like original) Not too sure if this is a problem. Also, when tight, I can turn the mount in the frame by hand. But it is pretty snug, just not very tight.
Bolt - I do not recommend re-using the original bolt. It won't be long enough. Need new bolts.
Radiator core support - These mounts will not work for this. I haven't figured out yet what will work. I'm still working on this.

As a side note; there are other size mounts on this car along with some sort of rad core support mount. I will check out.

These mounts are for 2003 - 2009 Ford Crown Victoria's with a 2006 part number.

Jim

1970 429 CJ J code Convertible 1 of 37
1973 Gran Torino Sport original Q code W/ '70 429 CJ C6 3000 stall & 4:30 Locker

Edited by 73GTS - 22-March-2010 at 1:54AM
Jim

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2010 at 10:48AM
NOW... I am confuzzled!

Are they in fact the same or are they in fact different but will work?

IF they are not identical and will work... what will the difference do?

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2010 at 1:03PM
Originally posted by cowboyupdjcarl cowboyupdjcarl wrote:

NOW... I am confuzzled!

Are they in fact the same or are they in fact different but will work?

IF they are not identical and will work... what will the difference do?

Email me for info I just lost all I tried to post "ACCESS DENIED" AngryDead
Jim

73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2010 at 4:01AM
OK I'll try it again,

These CV mounts are about as close as you will come without modifying. The differences are minor and I don't consider to be too big a deal. You just need new bolts and the radiator core support mounts. I am going to use a combination of old core support mounts and new. New consisting of possibly 73 truck core support mounts I bought and the universal mounts I bought from Energy Suspensions. This should work fine. I should be able to get it done without too many problems.
Jim

rrlcommish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrlcommish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2010 at 8:32AM
Where do you get new bolts?
1972 Gran Torino Sport Fastback, Bored 30-over 351C - 4V, Lt Blue, Pertronix Ignitor, dual exhaust with Turbo mufflers, otherwise stock
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2010 at 12:20PM
Originally posted by rrlcommish rrlcommish wrote:

Where do you get new bolts?

You need a bolt that's a little longer. I'm going to measure the 
old bolts and mount and figure against the new mount and order
them online. They are 8 grade and can be bought online easily.
Jim

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2010 at 5:34PM
Keep in mind, the OEM bolts have a taper. Which may mean you will need to grind the tip to aid in putting the bolt in.
I had a parts car with mint isolators that I used. I tried using new bolts identical in size, however due to them not being tapered, they were a PITA to try to use, so I dug through my collection of bolts cleaned the threads up, and reused what I had.
I still have a couple boxes of Torino mounts.

Concerning the radiator support mounts, I have posted what I used 3 or 4 times.
Ford LTD bushings, they were available for pretty reasonable from ford.
What I used was Ford bushings meant for an LTD, I forget the year.
My parts receipt shows:
E2AZ*5400155*A ABSORBER
List $7.75, net cost each was $6.43 each back in 2002.

Damn, that's depressing...2002 is when I got them, and I still aint done almost 7 years later.Confused

Anyways:

73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2010 at 3:10AM
Andy,
Is that a 2pc mount? Do you buy 2 or 4?
Jim

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2010 at 2:47PM
I bought 4 of them. I also bought a couple plated body washers {shown in the picture with the red prybar} inserted into the top.
Pretty much identical in size to originals, plus they are not rubber.

73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2010 at 4:39PM
What did you use inside the frame?
Jim

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2010 at 5:27PM
Stern Smile you know what, I honestly am drawing a blank.
I will try to take a peak tomorrow and see. I thought I only bought 4, but maybe thinking now I got 6.

rrlcommish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrlcommish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2010 at 2:24AM

I measured my bolts and they are 2 1/2" long, 1 1/2" thread, 7/16" coarse thread and 5/8" hex head.  Anyone know how much longer of a bolt is needed?  And where did you order the new bolts from?

1972 Gran Torino Sport Fastback, Bored 30-over 351C - 4V, Lt Blue, Pertronix Ignitor, dual exhaust with Turbo mufflers, otherwise stock
steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2010 at 11:40AM
Hello everyone ! I got the energy suspension kit for a chevelle ?  I am not ready for them yet but will be before winter.  Does anybody know a good inexpensive rear controll arm set up ?
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2010 at 9:20AM
Anyone actually USE ANYTHING from this sticky yet? 
Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2010 at 10:36AM
  Yes !!  I got quite alot from this thread. I may not be offering any records in rebuilding but I am moving fwd. I recently bought a 1971 429 thunder jet engine with the ( dove-c )  heads to build my 514 stroker from.
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2010 at 11:06AM
Something we could do is build up a TECH ARCHIVE of the important, but not posted on often, threads that contain vital information. Stuff like the links to the 335 engine website, this body mount thread, etc etc. They can be copied over and made to be read-only or something and in their own forum. Or left in a single stickied thread up top. Then leave the original where it was for discussions about it, and have links to the discussion thread from the "tech archive" thread.
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2010 at 11:33AM
 wwhhooaa  That sounds wwaayyy to confusing to this old dawg.
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2010 at 1:02PM
What I'm saying is instead of having six stickied threads up top, have ONE stickied thread that contains links and titles for the important threads. The threads may move around and get hits or not, but when you're looking for tech advice or a how-to thread, you could check the ONE stickied topic at the top of the list to see, oh, hey there it is, body insulator bushings, click it, and go to that thread.
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2010 at 3:12AM
That's how Hotrodders.com is. I guess whatever the tribe wants (and Scott approves of).

My initial question is still open. Who has actually tried to use any of these body bushings?
Paul
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2010 at 5:52AM
UnhappyWell...small update:
For those out there following my messed up, screwed up 9 year build, the bushings I bought from Ford, for the radiator support, I would now suggest an alternative.
I was working on my AC system last week, and while under the car I noticed the 5 year old bushings deformed from what I can assume is too much pressure or weight.

So much for getting a body bushing from Ford thinking yeah, that's the ticket!

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2010 at 7:46AM
Show us what you mean Andy
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2010 at 2:29PM
  Good thing that when I did my frame I left the rotted out rad mounts on it. Went thru sandblasting / POR / primmer / and undercoating. Everything from front to rear was removed except them. Left them because I was unsure ! Now I am putting new stuff and theyre still sitting there waiting ???
72 gts fst bk in 1982 !!
currently building 73 fast back with a dove-a 429.
steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2010 at 2:34PM
Stern Smile
72 gts fst bk in 1982 !!
currently building 73 fast back with a dove-a 429.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2010 at 2:36PM
OK, sorry for the delay, to outline what I did on just the radiator support.
I finally found the pictures and actually got them grouped together.

So, here are the body bushings I located at a Ford dealer.

stuck a body washer in the open end:

Using a new bolt identical to the original length:

This had some of the body spacers off my original support for this:

Last time I was under the car, I noticed this:

Needless to say, I am not happy.
Need to check into other suggestions like the CV mounts.
Another winter project I guess.

**edited posting as all the original links were broken.
Here is the shot of the updated bushing I used, as described in the other thread:

Edited by Eliteman76 - 21-April-2012 at 9:12PM
Ron Earp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Earp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2010 at 11:12AM
Guys, maybe this thread needs splitting into radiator mounts and body mounts. Two completely different animals here.

With respect to a 72 GTS I'm interested in what to do about body mounts. My body is going back on the frame in about three weeks and I will need to solve this problem for sure. Unlike most of you it seems I do not have access to a salvage yard to walk around in and compare parts.

A couple of questions:

1) Does anyone have the body diagrams shown at the start of the thread with the thicknesses of the mounts? I can't seem to make out the thicknesses.

2) The Crown Vic body mounts - they work but in some places might be 1/8" to 1/4" too thick? 

3) I understand the mounts that are between the frame and the body. What is inside the frame?  When I removed my body what was inside the frame was so badly rotted I can't tell how thick they were nor what they really looked like.
04 Ford Lightning
72 GTS BB Stroker & Toploader
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>