The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ...factory black cars (I'd like to start a list)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

...factory black cars (I'd like to start a list)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ...factory black cars (I'd like to start a list)
    Posted: 20-January-2010 at 3:10AM
It's hard for me to keep straight who has what, so I'd like to start a list of factory black 1972 and 1973 cars.  I know this information is in the database, but I don't think I have access to it, so if you're interested, post here or send me a PM with some basic info (VIN or partial VIN, build date, etc).  Let me know if you are willing to share the information with other factory black owners if others pop up. 

Thanks,
Paul~
1972 GTS 351CJ-4V black/black
GranTorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2010 at 3:51AM
I should start one for factory "Midnight Blue" cars.Big smile Just kidding!
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2010 at 10:44AM

You make a good point.  I guess what I'm really interested in is any special order paint cars, so let's add Midnight Blue to the list.  Wink Paul~

FORDMUSCLE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FORDMUSCLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2010 at 11:21AM
Back in the late 80's I had a 73 GTS fastback that was a factory black car, [no paint code] it was a Q-code, tach and gauges,p/s, p/b, bench seat, magnums, NO vinyl top and what was really rare, it was from down south and black, but is was a factory NON a/c car....... very cool... seems all southern cars have a/c. I sold it to a Ford dealership in south east Michigan, and never saw the car again, wonder what happened to it?????, sorry I don't have the vin number. EJ
1974xr7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1974xr7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2010 at 11:28AM
My 74 is a factory black car.
Always looking for 1974 Q codes
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2010 at 1:21PM
Fantastic.  Thanks for reminding me about the 74 cars.  Was black ever an option in 75/76 or special order those years too?

Paul~
1974xr7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1974xr7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2010 at 1:37PM
Not sure. Don't think I've ever seen a 75 or 76 in Black. There is a 72 GTS fastback near me that is a one owner. I've tried to buy it for years. The man traded a 70 Boss 302 in on it. He special ordered the GTS with black paint and a laser stripe and was told later that he couldn't get black and the laser. In the meantime it was built and delivered without him agreeing to buy it. However when he saw it with the trim instead of the laser he liked it better and went ahead with the deal. The kicker about this car is that he ordered it with the 351CJ and four speed!! I'll try to contact him, haven't talked to him in several years.
GranTorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2010 at 4:26AM
Originally posted by picon3 picon3 wrote:

You make a good point.  I guess what I'm really interested in is any special order paint cars, so let's add Midnight Blue to the list.  Wink Paul~

I had the rare chance to talk to the original owner about my '72 and he did special order the paint colour. I wonder if someone has that dealer special order list of paint colours brochure on line.     
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2010 at 5:35AM
Black and silver were always special ordered cars. I know of a local that now owns a '72 GTS that came from California, and he has been bring the car back to life.
On those cars, I always was ammused on the fact no color code on the door tag.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2010 at 7:48AM
It would be fun to see the sppecial order cars that ended up here...PM sent...
3A35Q305263   Triple black, A/C, Buckets & console, C6, HD suspension, hubcaps & steel wheels

Thanks Paul!
~Chris
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
RREIH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RREIH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2010 at 9:39AM
My 73 is also special order black. I have the original window sticker and there are so many
options on this car the window sticker is 2 pages. Im sure most of you know this, but a couple
oddities about special order paint at least in 1973. 1) The rubber front bumper fillers are all
painted silver. 2) Laser stripes were not available on special order paints 3) The standard racing
mirrors on GTS's were replaced with chrome mirrors as a credit on the sticker price. Mine has
the racing mirrors which were evedently added. My 2 cents Thanks    
1974xr7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1974xr7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2010 at 9:56AM
Didn't know about the silver bumper filler. Interesting.Shocked
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2010 at 10:47AM
Originally posted by RREIH RREIH wrote:

My 73 is also special order black. I have the original window sticker and there are so many
options on this car the window sticker is 2 pages. Im sure most of you know this, but a couple
oddities about special order paint at least in 1973. 1) The rubber front bumper fillers are all
painted silver. 2) Laser stripes were not available on special order paints 3) The standard racing
mirrors on GTS's were replaced with chrome mirrors as a credit on the sticker price. Mine has
I sent you a PM.  Paul~
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2010 at 12:00PM

Yes, they had one rectangular chrome mirror for the driver's side (also used on Galaxies) and that was it.  Do you have a picture of the front bumper fillers painted silver?  I would like to see it- and your car!
Chris

RREIH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RREIH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2010 at 1:42AM

THIS CAR IS A WORK IN PROGRESS, BUT IT WAS FROM GEORGIA AND ALABAMA AND IS VERY SOLID. THE FRONT END IS ALL ORIGINAL INCLUDING THE BUMPER FILLERS. IF I CAN FIGURE OUT HOW TO LOAD PICS ILL PUT THEM ON. BOB

ale8oneboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ale8oneboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2010 at 2:02AM
Originally posted by Eliteman76 Eliteman76 wrote:

Black and silver were always special ordered cars. I know of a local that now owns a '72 GTS that came from California, and he has been bring the car back to life.

Yea I recall my Dad having to order his 76 special in silver.
My Movie/TV Car Blog: http://www.onscreencars.com
FORDMUSCLE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FORDMUSCLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2010 at 4:33AM
Like I said in my first post, I had a factory black 73 with no paint code, but I also had a 75 factory black car, but for the life of me I don't remember if it had a paint code or not. I'm thinking it did have a code, so did they start offering black in 75 as a regular color??
Turbo301 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbo301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2010 at 5:50AM
Originally posted by ale8oneboy ale8oneboy wrote:

Originally posted by Eliteman76 Eliteman76 wrote:

Yea I recall my Dad having to order his 76 special in silver.

I get confused by what's considered a "special order colour". The Special Value Package in '76 could be had with silver as a "standard" colour, but would that still be considered a special order-type of paint? There were quite a few of the silver/maroon two-tone SVPs around my old neighbourhood. God what I wouldn't give for one today!!
1977 Cougar XR7
1980 turbo Trans Am
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2010 at 8:04AM
I was looking at the information on the options/accessories for 1972, 1973 and 1974.  It appears that for 1972 and 1973 black was not a standard color that could be ordered.  You had to special order it which is how these two years end up with a 5 digit number on the door data tag.  In 1974 it appears you could order black as an option and it had a standard code.  No info on 75/76 yet.
Paul~

1974 Torino

EXTERIOR COLORS AND CODES

Color

Code

Color

Code

White

9A

Medium Copper
Metallic

5M

Black

1C

Saddle Bronze

Bright Red

2B

Metallic

5T

Dark Blue Metallic

3G

Dark Olive Gold
Metallic

6M

Medium Blue Metallic

3D

Medium Ivy Yellow

6N

Medium Pastel Blue

3Q

Green Glow

4T*

Dark Green Metallic

4Q

Ginger Glow

5J*

Gold Glow

6F*

Pastel Lime

4A

Tan Glow

5U*

1974xr7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1974xr7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2010 at 3:22PM

Well as seen on my data plate, it has a blank paint code and is  a 74. I replaced the carpet a few months ago and it certainly is a factory black car. Maybe being a Canadian car has something to do with it. Interesting.Confused

picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2010 at 7:03AM

I can't explain that either.  It is possible that the Canadian plants did things differently just as different plants in the US did things differently.  It just reinforces my feeling that things were wild and wooly back in the 70s and if the customer wanted something they got it.  You're original owner wanted black and so he got it.  Maybe the plant didn't have the code book that day for Black and so left it blank.  Just know way to know.  Paul~

crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2010 at 7:41AM

Well, I had a '69 Shelby in grabber blue (also a special order color), and for '69, Mustangs that were special order colors had a "0" (zero) to denote special order colors.  Maybe they just dropped any denotation to reduce confusion on the line (zero could be mistaken for the letter "O").  So, Ford had Zero and then switched to nothing?  Just a thought...

We need a Ford Production guy from the '70s on our site!
Chris

RREIH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RREIH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2010 at 7:23AM
HI PAUL SENT YOU A PM
HEY CRISPY MY VIN IS 3A35Q305217. DOYOU THINK OURS WERE MADE ON THE SAME DAY?
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2010 at 9:12AM
Wow, that's pretty darned close in number sequence.  Only 46 digits.  Anyone else closer?  Paul~
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2010 at 12:29PM

HI PAUL SENT YOU A PM
HEY CRISPY MY VIN IS 3A35Q305217. DOYOU THINK OURS WERE MADE ON THE SAME DAY?
Dude, that is WILD!  Mine was made on June 12th.  Do you have the date for yours?  I bet it very well could be the same day....We could celebrate our car's birthdays! Wink  Better yet, we could start our own exclusive club, the June 12th 1973 Built Q-Code Black Torino club! LOL
~Chris
Edit- Thinking about it, they may have done special order colors in runs, so it is a big probability...

Edited by crispy23c - 26-January-2010 at 12:31PM

crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2010 at 12:40PM
Ummm, a club logo, perhaps?  LOL

picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2010 at 3:28PM
That's fantastic.  I'd like to know the build date too.  Can I join as an honorary member?  Paul~
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2010 at 4:40PM
Absolutely! LOL
~Chris

albo74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2010 at 12:11AM
          whoopie,  hooray ,  I don't want to be a party pooper but your logo was born in 74 ! Build date ,that is another good  reason to get the marti report , my car came back built on my birthdate . Destiny!

Edited by albo74 - 27-January-2010 at 4:33AM
albos73gts
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2010 at 2:57AM
Kinda looks like a 74 don't it?
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
'63 Econoline Standard Van
- Brent *USAF RET*
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>