The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

heavy car...trying to lighten it up!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimlin077 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: heavy car...trying to lighten it up!
    Posted: 21-June-2004 at 8:14AM

Any know of a good method to help reduce some of the weight. I have some minor ideas ( lightweight mirrors, wheel rims...etc ) but are there any major ways to help cut weight? I was thinking about getting light weight side/roof panels one at a time from a body shop and doing it that way ( if the cost isnt way high...)  A fiber glass hood would help alot...but those are $500...or higher.

Anyways...that is my question...answers are welcome. Thanks.

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who can not hear the music."

"The following statment is true;the preceding statement is false."
                -George Carlin
krimlin077 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimlin077 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2004 at 8:19AM

Another quick question in here...

I have a vynil roof at the moment...it is possible ( and rather cheap ) to have an aluminum roof ( or other light weight metal ) replace the vynil?

Would this require me to re-weather strip the window area ( which needs to be done...going 60 mph has a slight whistle through driver window )

-George Carlin
OleDutchD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OleDutchD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2004 at 5:35PM
I've been working towards solving some of those weight related issues, myself, for a couple of years now. There are several fiberglass pieces (front bumper, hoods, front inner fenders, etc) that I'm developing, but due to work/family related issues, those and other projects are pretty much at a standstill for this year. For a FG hood, US Bodysource lists one, but it's a pin-on unit. As far as the $500 price tag you mentioned, a quality piece for a car this big isn't going to be "cheap" by any means.
For now, your best bets would be to invest in aluminum components for under the hood, such as water pump, manifold, heads, radiator, etc.

Best of luck,

Kevin
Just an analog guy stuck in a digital world!
Nemtorino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nemtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2004 at 6:19AM

Rip the interior! I am restoring a 72 fastback and had 2 trashcans full of that sticky tar VERY HEAVY junk. it is under the carpet, under the back seats, by the firewall, there is also some simular stuff above the head liner. this might make your interior hotter and noiser, but i like the heat and sound of my engine. I did remove the A/C (very heavy) and removed all of the super heavy A/C bracets and replaced them with washers to get power stearing and the alternator lined up.

1972 Gran Torino Sport (under frame up restore)
1972 Gran Torino 4-door

my site:GranTorino.net
Nemtorino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nemtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2004 at 6:38AM

also i found some aluminum lower control arms for the rear suspension for the Torino at the below website. I personaly have not seen them, but i was considering trying them on my fastback.

I am not really sure how much weight this would save, but every little bit would help

http://www.performancesuspension.com/traction.htm

1972 Gran Torino Sport (under frame up restore)
1972 Gran Torino 4-door

my site:GranTorino.net
Sanitarium 73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanitarium 73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2004 at 8:44PM

If you have a split bench, or even a regular bench, get it out of there, especially if it's a power seat! My '79 T-bird Town Landau has the power split bench, and I know that taking the sucker out would be a quick way to drop 100 pounds...at least!

Jim

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2004 at 6:48AM
I took the back & passenger seat out of my '74 gran torino sport and that helped alot.
~Brynne~
krimlin077 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimlin077 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2004 at 9:36PM

Okay so i started with the easy things...or atleast i thought i was. I figured i would try and remove the sport mirrors and replace them with light weight ones ( BIG MISTAKE! ) I can atleast tell you that each mirror on my 73 Gran Torino weighs in at about 6-7 pounds! EACH!

Like i said ...i would love to replace them and i was working on this issue last night, until i figured how to get to the screws and take them off. As fair warning...if you dont have to..dont replace your side mirrors! they will waste 12 hours of you life trying to find out how to get to them and take them out!

Thanks to everyone who replied...i will try to hunt down some aluminum parts...( for some reason i completely forgot about aluminum parts...) As for the "tar" well lucky for me...the first owner must have already done this...i ripped up certain parts of the carpet to find some...and it is a different type of glue from which i fuond inside the door panels.

Well thanks again everyone!

-George Carlin
 Post Reply Post Reply