The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

floor board rust question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2010 at 5:31PM
Jeff, I've always said the same thing...LOL...for weld through primer, it's a PITA to deal with.
Still, on my GTS, I used the zinc weld through stuff all over hell and back, where ever I sprayed.
I then in the process of getting read to weld, after clamping the panels, I took and used a pick or screw driver, or a die grinder with a scotchbrite or britestrip disc to clean the weld area.
Got to love bodywork!
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2010 at 2:11AM
Originally posted by cowboyupdjcarl cowboyupdjcarl wrote:

went back and was looking at the Pure Vision 72 Gran Torino.

LOVE what they did with the floor!

Raised the floor so all the cross frame work and exhaust is tucked up underneath instead of hanging below the frame level... hhhhmmmmmm let's think and see what happens!

I think they call that "channeling" and it's how you lower the body in relation to the frame, which means the floor comes up and you lose headroom. Often done along with chopping a top. More lost headroom there. But channeling is very cool when done right, as evidenced by Pure Vision's concept.
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2010 at 5:29AM
Only issue with the PV GTS is the pedal set, by raising the floor, you loose some leg room.
The 70's full frame fords were already technically "channeled" by design.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2010 at 5:42AM

Yes Andy...

Our Torino is "CHANNELED"
Channeling refers to cutting a channel in the floor so the frame runs in that channel, hence lowering the floor and still allowing for the headroom.
So technically you could argue the PV-GTS is or isn't channeled. I argue it isn't because the ENTIRE floor is raised (like a pickup/van floor board).

Either way I was just saying on this thread... something to think of doing IF a floor is rotted to bad.
It would ba a good candidate for something like that!

thinking it could ba a cool way to go on mine.
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12