The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear Wheelhouse Parts Available?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear Wheelhouse Parts Available?
    Posted: 13-February-2010 at 4:07AM
Hi, New to the site and was wondering if there are stores out there that sell the inner and outer Wheelhouse panels.  My son is rebuilding a 1975 Gran Torino 2 door and in order to complete the body work we need to replace the rusted wheelhouses on both the left and right sides of the car. 

Looking for part numbers: D2OZ 6527894-5A (Outer wheelhouse) and D2OZ 6527886-7A (Inner wheelhouse)

Thank for the help.

NDTorino

lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2010 at 11:12AM

I've looked. Unless you find OEM - no. I had to fabricate mine from a pair of beat up Mustand II fenders.

Chuck

Edited by lynchster - 13-February-2010 at 11:14AM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2010 at 11:28AM
A quick EBay search came up with these but I think you would have to ask some here as to if they were "on the money" when it come to accuracy . I have heard of bad news when panels have been ordered only to find them so far out the guy has dumped them and started from scratch  . inner guards would need to be torn out of a junker or but from sheet . Good luck .

Bottom two from the same seller
1973 Q code sports roof
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2010 at 12:20PM
I was thinking of using a tub from the top edge of the inner fender well out to the quarter panel.

But then would need to re-enforce the lip edge.

Probably not a great idea but just a thought!

The rot in that area comes from moisture getting caught down in that seam area... no way to get it out when it gets there. A SUPER THICK coat of undercoat and/or seam sealer is the only way I see keeping that area from being affected by the moisture.
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2010 at 12:36PM
While looking for some stuff I found these for the inners maybe they will work ???????????????????????????

1973 Q code sports roof
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2010 at 6:35PM
To answer your question, no, they are not reproduced.
I found the 67-68 mustang had a decently similar wheel house, but I had to pie-cut mine to make it work.

I would have not thought about using the fender off another car, but not a bad idea.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2010 at 2:04AM
I wonder if a 77-79 Mercury Cougar has simular wheel wells as they did use the Torino dash in those cars and probably more stuff was used on the platform when building those cars.It would be worth checking into as it might be easier to find some of those Cougars with good parts then it is to find 72-76 Torino's.It's really hard to find a Torino that doesn't have lower quarter rust,probably due to the operational quarter windows that allow water inside the quarters,had the made them fixed windows and sealed to the quarters the moisture wouldn't have gotten in between the quarter and wheel well unless you had a leak around the rear window or trunk.Heck I didny't even roll down the quarter windows when driving in my last Torino,doubt I'll use them much on the Torino I have now.I even think of sealing them shut with windshield urethane to keep the water out of the quarters after they are replaced,either way I'm gonna rust proof the inside of the quarters and wheelwells the best I can after everything is replaced
NDTorino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2010 at 6:25AM
Thanks all for the suggestions and ideas.  Will have to look into each of them so we can get something that works.
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2010 at 8:33AM
Yes I am on the same lines as to rustproffing the hell out of the inner fender well area!

Make sure you make drain holes BEFORE you rust proof it!
It will ensure you do not have exposed metal AFTER you rust proofed it!
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
poncho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2012 at 8:48AM
Was wondering if you found any rear wheel wells. Just started to repaint my 72 GTS and found the drivers side rotted bad. Does anyone know if another substitute wheel house from a LTD or Mustang mach 1 from the 72 ish year would work
poncho
1972 gts fastback
marian601 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marian601 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2012 at 9:53PM
are this panels for fastback or for formal roof? or are they the same?
2015 skoda octavia vRS-wife's car
'99 audi TT quattro 225HP-wife's toy
Gran Torino Sport fastback 351C-getting closer :)
DUCATI scrambler 803-new toy :)
rodgy2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodgy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2012 at 8:54AM
Don't know if this helps, But I have a set of Ranchero NOS inner fender wells. These are the same as the station wagon ,but I don't know how close they are to the car. These have surface rust from long term storage, but they are NOS. If you want pictures , e-mail me at rgy2@lehigh.edu
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2012 at 5:27AM
Inners generally are not the issue, it's the outers that go.
Still kills me how we can't get the replacements.

I've been wondering: How close are late model crown vic wheel houses?

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
poncho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2012 at 3:49AM
The car is a fastback model. I have found someone redid a 71-73 mustang that has outter wheel well just dont know if it will work or even be close. Also now have to find passenger floor pans. little rusty with some holes.
poncho
1972 gts fastback
 Post Reply Post Reply