The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1970 Ford Torino GT Convertable

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickyeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1970 Ford Torino GT Convertable
    Posted: 23-June-2004 at 8:16AM
I was wondering if anyone could answer a question for me? My brother-in-law works at a body shop. Today this guy brought in a 1970 Torino GT Convertable. The guy said it was one of only nine. He said it was a pace car for Nascar. Anyone know if this is true or not? Thanks.
speedkillz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedkillz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2004 at 8:46PM
unless it's a dealer that did the pace car, I'm not finding any information in my books on a pace car convert. Unless he's got documntation on the car saying it was a pace car in a national event and proof of the numbers built I'd say no. but, I wouldn't rain on his parade either, just let him be happy. then again, I may be wrong too so....
digz cars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digz cars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2004 at 3:07AM

Rick- There was an article in Mustangs and Fords magazine November 2001 highlighting the Nascar Daytona 500 Torino Pace Car. 

It said Ford had a "package of lettered-up Torinos assigned to each major race included one convertible, two SportsRoofs, and even a staion wagon.  But it was only the soft tops that were prepared for high-speed pace duty".  

The article featured Norman Haac's white with blue side stripe 429 CJ column shift convertable with the Shaker Hood, Hideaway headlighs, 8000 RPM Tach, Deluxe Rim Blow Steering Wheel, Roll Bar, A/C, power windows, power steering, power disc brakes and power bench seats.  The article says there were 8 such speacially preped cars by Holman-Moody.   

Norman Haac was reported to have carefully reserched the pace cars maybe this could get a response from an expert like him. The article says his car was one of two of the 8 that are still known to exsist.

Maybe this client has a "lettered car", not necessarily speed prepped by H and M or a true lost Torino Pace Car. 

There are some pictures from the June 6th 2004 FCA Nationals at Dearborn, Michigan, they had Norman Haac's 1970 Daytona 500 Official Pace Car.  There is a picture of it on Ford Torino .com under the 2004 FCA Nationals.  It looks immaculate, rare and super cool.  

Let us know if this is the real Pace Car , a lettered car or a clone. Thanks Rob.   

digz cars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digz cars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2004 at 5:01AM

Rick - I think I found an example of a lettered car on another site you might want to use to compare.  Check out

cyclonemontegotorinoregistry/70PacCarTorino.jpg

Hope this helps    Rob.

rickyeller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickyeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2004 at 7:28AM
Thanks alot everybody. I guess I should have mentioned this in the first post. I live in Wilkes County, North Carolina. Home of the former NASCAR track at North Wilkesboro. The owner of the Torino says the car was used at that track. He has some newspaper articles and magazine clippings of the car at the track. Thanks again.   
 Post Reply Post Reply