The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help with value of this hood!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torino321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with value of this hood!
    Posted: 18-February-2010 at 2:22PM
I have had this '72 Torino hood sitting around for years in my barn. Its got the scoop, 351c emblems on the sides and the built in hood tachometer. I was told this is a rare hood because of the tach but I figured I'd ask some knowledgeable Torino guys first! The paint must be original, there is no rust or dings/dents just some scratches.

kversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2010 at 3:33PM
what happened to the car the hood was on??    cool looking cant say I have ever seen it on a torino before im sure someone on here will chime in.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2010 at 3:37PM
never seen a hood tach on a 72 Torino ,I would have to guess if it's rust free around 4-500
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2010 at 3:39PM
the tach and black paint arent original. the tach looks like a dixco, a popular add on in the 70's. the stripe is not original either. however it does have some value. where are you located?
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

interceptor460 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote interceptor460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2010 at 4:11PM
Late 68 and 69 pontiac also offered the same style tach. The hood still looks good someone will be interested.
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2010 at 4:37PM

Ya, I was thinking that is a Judge style tach.

NOT a stock or even dealer optional add on part.
The stripes are different and cool but also no original.

If it is good condition someone will take it!
Where are you located?
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2010 at 4:46PM
I was going to say the same thing on the tach...looks like someone added it at some point.
Different treatment on the hood stripes, not bad.

A clean hood is worth...what someone is willing to pay for it.
I've paid $450 for a GTS before with a good hood on it...and a lot less for a GTS hood, BUT a good clean piece should be worth a couple hundred.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Torino321 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torino321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2010 at 5:06PM
Thanks for all of the quick replies! I'm located about an hr. north of Philadelphia. 
72BlackGTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BlackGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2010 at 4:48PM
So, do you have a buyer or are you still shopping it around? I would like to see a picture of the underside. Did you decide on a price yet? I'm interested and can pick it up. Let me know please.
Ron
Ron
1978 LTD II Sport-Green
2003 HD Road King Classic 100th Anniversary
Classicfitness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Classicfitness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2010 at 7:12AM
Originally posted by 72BlackGTS 72BlackGTS wrote:

I would like to see a picture of the underside.

I second that.  It would be great to see underside of the hood where the tach is attached.  I am curious at whom was offering these tach kit back then!!!
Very nice hood, thanks for sharing these pictures.
'72 GTS 351-4b Gold Glow

'75 Elite 400 Polar White

My car blog: www.fordtorino72.blogspot.com

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2010 at 7:22AM
I really don't care for the tach on that hood,they look good on GTO's & Buick GSX but to me it looks too big,it sticks up too much for my taste.
Hey Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2010 at 10:33AM
Gotta love the hood tach.
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2010 at 10:22PM
I've bought two 72 hoods in the last couple months. One for $250 and one for $120. That one looks to be in good shape. There are a few out there and I've seen people having trouble selling them for more than $350. I like the stripe on that one...Damn it, there goes more money into painting mine again! LOL

Edited by Uante - 23-February-2010 at 2:11AM
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
'63 Econoline Standard Van
- Brent *USAF RET*
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2010 at 6:40AM
the one I painted years ago I simply painted the hood scoop front insert black,it's a sutle detail but sets off the scoop nicely.Just doesn't work for the guys with black cars,but they could do it in a matte black and probably wouldn't look bad
Torino321 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torino321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2010 at 2:51AM
Sorry for the late response. Yes the hood is still available, I'll have to head over to the shop to take some more pictures of the underside for ya. Once I get them up shoot me a PM on an offer and we'll go from there. Thanks
72BlackGTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BlackGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2010 at 5:00PM
I've got 4 of them here now. One belongs to another member but the other 3 I just picked up in various places. I like to have a choice of parts to choose from.
I don't like to "make offers". If you have a price in mind PM me with it. Less hurt feelings that way. Hope you understand.        Ron
Ron
1978 LTD II Sport-Green
2003 HD Road King Classic 100th Anniversary
Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2010 at 12:35AM
Ford actually offered a hood mounted Tach in 1970 in the Muscle Parts program as an over the counter part for Torino's . FWIW
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

"Never complain Never explain" Henry Ford
shanefolsom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shanefolsom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2010 at 1:12AM
I am looking for a 1972 hood so I can graft the scoop onto my 1974 torino hood.  Anyone have one that they want to sell at a reasonable price?  PM me with price, condition and pics if you have them.  I am in NH so I cannot pick up something that is too far away I would have to have you ship it.  Let me know.  Thanks
1976 Gran Torino Limited #1
1976 Gran Torino Limited #2
1973 Gran Torino Sport
1969 Roadrunner
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2010 at 6:01AM
didn't Ron (72BlackGTS) say that he has 3 more.He is in NY, thats not to bad of a drive for ya,PM him maybe he is willing to sell one of them,but I wouldn't want to cut up a good hood but one that has a rust structure underneath are the type to cut but still have a good top skin and good framing around the scoop as you have to section in the underhood bracing around the scoop also.Uante & 76 Elite both have good step by step photos on how they did it.I'm gonna have the 72 scoop on my 73 it looks good.
 Post Reply Post Reply