The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cobra vs cobra gt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BW70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cobra vs cobra gt
    Posted: 03-July-2004 at 12:16PM
just exactly how can you tell a cobra gt from a cobra  
70 torino cobra
yella429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yella429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2004 at 6:11AM

Greetings BW70!

As far as I know it's this easy . . . First you've got your 1970 Ford Torino Cobra and then . . . Ford didn't make a 1970 Ford Torino Cobra GT.  However, Ford did make a 1970 Torino GT.

Personally, I'd check the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).  Stand outside the car and look in through the drivers side of the windshield you should see the metal VIN tag.  The only VIN for a 1970 Cobra start with 'OH38....'   Any other number will be from some other models.

GoodLuck!  

edlebby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edlebby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2006 at 3:20AM

Just to confuse things further, there was an engine series that also used the cobra name.

As indicated below, when one refers to a Cobra body style, this would be a 38 code in the VIN - a 35 would be a GT sportroof.  The base engine in a Cobra (I believe) was a 429 Cobra Jet, one step up from the 429 Thunderjet, which was the base 429 engine.  So you could have a 1970 Ford Torino GT Cobra Jet.

From there, there were two axle upgrades one could choose, which added either a 3.91 gear traction loc rear or a 4.30 Detroit Locker rear - to those in the know at the time, this was referred to as the "Drag Pak" - and with either axle upgrade, the engine was upgraded - the block remained the same, but the engine received a 4bolt main, forged pistons, an external oil cooler, a 780 cfm (as opposed to 735 on the CJ (I think)) Holley 4barrel carb, an upgraded intake manifold, a solid lifter cam (in fact, the same came that went into the Boss 429), solid lifters, and I assume a different valve train - although I believe the heads remained the same.

This could be had on any model (just about) and so you could have a 1970 Ford Torino GT Super Cobra Jet (of which 243 were made in 1970).  These would be the 2 ways in which you could confusingly add the word Cobra into a GT model (as opposed to a Cobra model).

Clear as mud, right?

thanks,
stephen
 Post Reply Post Reply