The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What got you into liking Torino's?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
PS122 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PS122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What got you into liking Torino's?
    Posted: 07-May-2011 at 4:50PM

My dad's friend bought a brand new Starsky & Hutch Gran Torino and that big, bright red car with the white stripe really ignited a passion for the 72-76 Gran Torinos.  That very car now occupies my garage. 

Joe
'76 S&H Gran Torino
http://starskytorino.com/joes/joes.html
interceptor460 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote interceptor460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2011 at 8:29PM
I have owned at 18 torinos of only 6 were for drivers the rest were parts cars. It's getting harder to find them ,you got to have plenty of parts . As I have looking around in the past 5 years the good ones have been picked. The ones out there for sale  now do not inerest me much. Anyhow I could not buy another one tough times. It's great that this site is dedicated to the midsize Fords &Mercurys.
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2011 at 3:46PM
Originally posted by rrlcommish rrlcommish wrote:

My grandfather bought my GTS new in July of '72.  He drove it until 1987 when he bought a Merc Sable.  Gave me the Torino in 1990, had it since.  My college car and everyday car for a few years until I parked it for a T-Bird Turbo Coupe, then traded that for a Super Coupe.   Anyway, just now finally have the $$ to restore it to glory.  Ironically, my other grandparents had a '76 Gran Torino for a while.  Resoration is coming along on mine, frame is finished, body work is very slow but getting there.  Everybody says they hate the color of mine (light blue), but I think its a badazz color and very typical 1970's.  And unique.  Only seen one other light blue 72 GTS fastback, it was in Fairlaner a couple years ago, someone had it at a meet but that person is not listed in the FCA directory, would have liked to speak with them.

Still rocking the SC??
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
rrlcommish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrlcommish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2011 at 10:55AM
My grandfather bought my GTS new in July of '72.  He drove it until 1987 when he bought a Merc Sable.  Gave me the Torino in 1990, had it since.  My college car and everyday car for a few years until I parked it for a T-Bird Turbo Coupe, then traded that for a Super Coupe.   Anyway, just now finally have the $$ to restore it to glory.  Ironically, my other grandparents had a '76 Gran Torino for a while.  Resoration is coming along on mine, frame is finished, body work is very slow but getting there.  Everybody says they hate the color of mine (light blue), but I think its a badazz color and very typical 1970's.  And unique.  Only seen one other light blue 72 GTS fastback, it was in Fairlaner a couple years ago, someone had it at a meet but that person is not listed in the FCA directory, would have liked to speak with them.
1972 Gran Torino Sport Fastback, Bored 30-over 351C - 4V, Lt Blue, Pertronix Ignitor, dual exhaust with Turbo mufflers, otherwise stock
dvldog2513 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvldog2513 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2011 at 8:33AM
 Back in 1979  my first car was a  2 door 1960 Ford Fairlane with the cat eye taillights,wings,straight 6 with a 3 speed on the column. I thought it was the ugliest car I had ever seen but I drove it for a few months.Thats when I told my dad I would give him that car back if would let me borrow a little money to buy a car that I wanted and I would pay him back.I had 2 cars that I could afford ,$700 dollars for a 1973  Dodge Charger  or a 1972 Gran Torino Sport for $750.I just liked the GTS better plus it still had a 8 track tape player and it was just fun to drive.I wrecked that car in 1981.In 1995 I found another 1972 GTS and bought it for $1800 and I let my dad drive it for a few years.I sat the car up  for a few years and now I'm putting it back together.
Bennie
1972 GTS Q Code

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote interceptor460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2011 at 6:55AM
My 1974 460pi torino was like that,but it had a blackedout front grill and medium red in colour.
fordnmerc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordnmerc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2011 at 12:58AM
In 1975, when Starsky and Hutch premiered, my parents got to liking the Torino on the show. They looked around locally and found a 1974 base, secondhand with about 900 miles on it for $2700. We had it from July, 1975, to June, 1989:

David

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote interceptor460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2011 at 8:54PM
Originally posted by interceptor460 interceptor460 wrote:

One thing I can say about my 68 ltd (428 cid) I was called Mcgarret after hawaii 5-0. Here comes John with the Mcgarret car ,so I had a tape with the five-0 theme tune and the bond theme near my fingers. It gave everyone a good laugh since I liked big cars and torinos when everyone else drove pony cars.
  After a night of clubing my friend and I picked up some girls. Driving my 1968 ltd at 4 am, my friend was talking to one of the girls ,and she said "What leg room, I can stretch my legs  wide open." . My friend and I looked at one another . We did have a great  early morning with the ladies. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote interceptor460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2011 at 8:53PM
 One thing I can say about my 68 ltd (428 cid) I was called Mcgarret after hawaii 5-0. Here comes John with the Mcgarret car ,so I had a tape with the five-0 theme tune and the bond theme near my fingers. It gave everyone a good laugh since it liked big cars and torinos when everyone drove pony cars.
  After a night of clubing my friend and I picked up some girls. Driving my 1968 ltd at 4 am, my friend was talking to one of the girls ,and she said "What leg room, I can stretch my legs  wide open." . My friend and I looked at one another . We did have a great  early morning with the ladies. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote interceptor460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2011 at 8:33PM
  Back in May ,1976 my father bought our new 76 torino wagon for bread deliveries. He bought it so plain no radio, cheap plastic seats that burned you every time you sat in the car in the summer months. It was tin can on wheels. It did the job well ,in 1979 I found a wagon in scrap yard with a brougham squire interior. I bought the whole interior plus the am/fm stereo for 75 dollars. It changed the car into a palace.
   This car paid the bills for the store, it had been loaded with junk from demolition work ,boxes of bread, stock for the store, metal and 460 and 429 engines in the back.
  It was solid car, it had been in 13 accidents in a year with small damage. It did lose control and did a dukes of hazard stunt . In Montreal we have a mountain in the center of the city. It went sliding on freezing ice off the road hitting a tree ,lamp post and drove on rocky road on this moutain untill police saw my brother drive in front of the giant statue on this moutain. With 6 people inside no one was hurt,but my father was cursing from here to high heaven. The car in the end was stolen . The thief hit 14 cars on a popular club street and lost control on a on ramp to highway 720 where 3 more cars crashed into the driver side which was repaired before by my brother. No one in the torino got hurt as no one was found in her.
 The car was retrieved at the police pound and we drove it home twisted as a tie.
   One hell of a stong car. It got me interested more in ford cars as my first car in 1982  was a (Q code ,1968 ford ltd) and yes it was a 428 engine and later a modified 428 cj replaced it. I 've had more 68 ltd's and a 69 ltd ,t-birds about 6 torinos and my 1975 torino 4 door crusier that I have now. There are so many more stories of her able to run in the high 14's with a 400 engine , when the transmission blow it's foward gears and my brother drove all his friends home in reverse after parting at a downtown club untill he was pulled over only 2 blocks from home.He got away with a good excuse. It was filmed on the news in 1987 in the Montreal hockey riot in as my brother fleed from a mob as they tasted torino on it's way. Later to be seen at the airport as the hockey players returned to Montreal.
  If you find a good Torino wagon they are cool cars.

Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2011 at 4:35PM
Cool story 4spd. Wish I would have kept my original car too...way to go! Looks Great! Thumbs Up  
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
'63 Econoline Standard Van
- Brent *USAF RET*
Godzillarich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzillarich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2011 at 3:50PM
Great story, can you post a link to more pics? My smart phone is only showing about 1/3 of the photo. I am kinda of envious of you guys with the ultra clean street machines.. I went a different route in my quest for speed. Its hard to have it both ways on a budget, I chose to sacrifice everything almost . Some day I hope to have a nice streetable torino that is still kinda fast.
72 Gran Torion Sport

472 Hyd 12.98@105mph

466 Roller 11.59@116.5 Sac Raceway 02/28/2011
11.44@114.5 5/13/11

DYNO 452 RWHP 456 RWTQ

4spdTorino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4spdTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2011 at 3:22PM

My liking of Torino's started in 1979 I had saved my money up since i was 13 with a paper route for our local newspaper. My family and I went to Mrytle Beach on vacation and I was looking for a car!Of course I wanted a Mustang.I only had $800.00 saved.Well as you can imagine every Mustang we looked at was way out of my price range we looked all week and no luck.On our way home just outside of Charlotte N.C I spotted a Mustang at a used car lot we stopped and of course out of my price range again,My Dad looks over and there sets a red 1972 Gran Torino Sport and asks the salesman "Hey how much for the Torino" the guy says gotta have a grand for that and I threw up my hands in disgust as I walked back to the car! My Dad says tell ya what I will give you 800.00 cash! The guy looks at my Dad and say make it 875.00 and its yours! And he said DEAL I looked at my Dad and said hey I only have 800.00 he told me you can owe me, these cars are gonna be collectors items someday. Well I have owned the car ever since I think they are the coolest cars made and after owning it I would rather have it then a Mustang. I have had alot of offers on the car but i will never sell it!!!!

Edited by 4spdTorino - 27-April-2011 at 3:24PM
1972 Gran Torino Sport
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2011 at 2:40AM
My love affair with Fords began at an early age with my dad's '65 Country Squire and my mom's '65 Mercury Monterey Marauder (427 Ford). I remember washing that car at an early age and thinking how cool that car looked and sounded when running (dad would let it idle to get me to wash it, lol). Oh, how we should have kept that one... The Torino craze started with my mom's 70 Squire, then her '72 Squire. I learned to drive in that car (would smoke the Firestones forever!). However, I ended up with a '77 Vega as my first car, then a '73 Buick Century (455) as my 2nd. I decided to look for an early model Camaro as my 3rd car when my dad's friend got in a '76 Torino 2 door at his car lot with 50K miles. Dad convinced me to go look at it as a temporary car until I found something I liked better. Price was right ($1,050) and it was only 4 years old so I bought it - as a side note it ended up costing me $1,111.11 with tax (weird, but a forecast as to it being #1 in my mind). I drove the car until about 1983, then parked it, as I had become fanatical about keeping it squeaky clean and dent free and bought a '69 Torino GT as my daily driver. Sadly, that car was wrecked by a neighbor, but I still have the '76 to this day. We have already started gathering parts to restore/improve it and it should be ready in a year or two. I have had a lot of old/rare Fords since then and have enjoyed them all, but I have always held onto this car for some unknown reason. Perhaps it was to be able to meet all of you?
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
VorbottenO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VorbottenO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2011 at 2:22PM
In 1976, I started working in an Amoco station that had 12 service bays pumping gas and odd jobs then progressed into turning a wrench.
At the time I had a 1967 Falcon Futura with a 289ci and 4 speed that held its own but not too cool.
The manager had a 72 fastback H code Torino (and several other cool cars) and blew the engine racing a Dodge one day on his way to work. As I was towing the car in he told me about a 70 351 4V Torino GT he had owned before but the 72 did not hold a candle to it.
Long story short, I gave him $500, got a 351 4V from a 1970 Cougar in a junk yard to rebuild.
Fortunately Bob Glidden (if you are old enough to remember he held the Pro Stock records in the 70's and 80's was a friend of my dads and lived only 3 miles from us.
Bob helped me build the 351 (thowing in a few tricks) as well as setting up the drive train. Car ran 12.7 in the quarter which at the time was a fast street car. Pure pleasure smoking Camaros, Novas, Road Runners, Challengers, you name it.
Needless to say, I won a lot of money that summer street racing and I had the only 72 built up so it always caught attention.

Eric
72GTS-Ncode (429-477ci)

GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2011 at 6:34PM

My first car was a '71 Mustang with a 302...I was 13 when S&H show came out and thought that was one cool car....When I was 17, I bought a "69 Dodge Charger and made a General Lee clone, at the same time, my younger brother built a S&H Torino clone. It was really funny having both cars in the driveway at home.. People called it "the house with the Cars of the Stars"..My brother sold his Torino when he went into the military and I sold the General to pay for college..I always wanted a striped Tomato of my own someday but felt if I was going to put money into a restro I wanted to put it into a Limited Edition S&H Torino...Finally got my wish 3yrs ago and will hopefully have it on the road this summer....

Starsky and Hutch Limited Edition #559 in rehab
BackInBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2011 at 5:03PM
My first car was  a 65 Mustang Convertible.  I was 15 and a instant Ford nut.   Restored it when Mustangs weren't popular.  Everyone thought I was crazy.   I bought a $400 Cuda to drive while I fixed up my Stang.    I was in a minority surrounded by Chevy buddies...I was the only Ford/Mopar guy.   When I raced them in my Cuda and Stang they quickly quieted...and gave a nod.

I sold everything to pay for college.   I later found my old Stang from the person I sold it to and bought it back about 10 years later.   The previous owner did not take care of it and required fixing up.   I started to repair it and quickly ran out of cash...wife and kids were a priority.   I sold it again.  This time I'm glad I sold it to a Father and son who restored it to show winning collector.   

Since then I've been searching for another, not so popular, cool ass car.   I've always loved the Torino and the Aussie Falcon.   My search continued for years....until I found a rust free super clean  73 GTS.   Although I was searching for a 4 speed big block 72...I'm completely content with this 73 GTS.   I love it and will not let it go...over time it will be Street bruiser able to hang with the track corner carvers.    I look at this as a challenge to show what these cars can achieve.    They are truly an unrecognized Muscle car with excellent engineering behind their design.

-John
1973 GTS
HbMarine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HbMarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2010 at 4:08PM
one of my co-workers had seen the movie Gran Torino. i hadnt seen the movie so i based my decision on what the car was, not popularity. so we were pokin around on CL and we ran across a 72 gran torino with a 400. since i was thinking of buying a project car @ the time i looked into this car. i looked into what it came with from the factory and couldnt resist @ that time. so now here i sit with one of my greatest challenges. not so much a challenge but a labor of love.
72 gt 400m auto 10.2 @ 70mph in 1/8th

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. - George Orwell"
Godzillarich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzillarich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2010 at 3:51PM
Already had a 77 Ranchero , Saw a 72 GTS in the paper and had to go look at it for one of the yahoo Torino Club Members I think it was McFord , After a saw it I had to get it for myself!!

legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2010 at 10:22AM
here is a picture of mine and inset is my sister gloating after she had just gotten the car (this is the best oldest picture i could find)... to the left is our new family car, a 1981 LTD
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2010 at 9:20AM
Now after all these years holding onto the engine I wanted something kewl to put it in so 2004 I got a 70 Mustang Sportroof 302 car that had decent sheetmetal but the bottom was rotted but great project for ProStreet.I had my own restoration shop at the time and the car just sat and I needed some cash to keep the biz afloat so I sold the Mustang.Flash forward 2009 after closing my biz in 2007 I went back into collision work but dable in classic cars on the side and wanted my own car again so started to search,know 70 Sportroof Mustangs werecat a premium I thought why not look at another Torino,so I searched ebay and found a 73 formal roof in ruff shape but cheap enough to buy,so I bought that and then found this forum and after a few months here learned a member was selling his 73 GTS project which I bought the rolling chassis,cause I always wanted a Sportroof ever since I painted that 72 GTS back in the 80's so after 25 years i'll finally have one
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2010 at 9:06AM
ok long story short back in the early 80's I worked at a bodyshop as a painter and we had a wrecked 72 GTS come in and after finding a front clip the owner decided to do a color change from red to a nice medium blue metallic,so all bodywork was performed and I sanded the car and prepped it for paint.the complete car was painted bc/cc including jambs & underhood and trunk.After painting I sanded and polished the clear to a mirror finish.The car was a 351C 4v 4 spd most likely a Q code but I didn't know much about them back then,alls I knew it looked kewl and was fast.A few years later after moving to NJ with a 72 Gran Torino wagon my grandfather gave me that I restored the body on.I eventually found a 73 plain jane Torino which I installed a 74 front clip and doors from my uncles Ranchero.it was my first hotrod project and even though I wanted a Sportroof it was a Torino.After moving back to Florida I installed the 351Cfrom the Ranchero with some upgrades.I scraped the body in 1993 and kept the motor
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2010 at 3:43AM
i wont say my dad ( who built the house himself) wasnt a visionary. he was just very practical in his automobile thinking.
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2010 at 10:18AM
wow that's kewl you had a 3 car garage back then,now thats a motorheads dream
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2010 at 9:51AM

My family, dad mostly, always liked strange cars. never a 'normal' car.  all growing up, we had  AMC's. Hornets, concordes, matadors, heck my dad even bought a PACER brand new. mix this in with the toyotas, vw's and international scouts, and we were pretty much a geek family. While all my freinds dads had chevelles and chargers, we had a nissan pickup.

here is an actual photo of our driveway in 1979
 then my brother went off to college in 1982, he bought a 72 torino while there, much to my parents dismay.   after college, he bought new mustang GT, and in 1985, he gave me his torino.
like mike says: hooked for life.

-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2010 at 9:15AM
Back around 73/74.  dad bought a 72 used.  gold with white top, cant remember what color interior.  i was about 7/8 years old or so.  and then of course there was that cool tv show about a couple cops and a suh-wheet red torino with a white strip.  hooked ever since.  72's are my top pick tho and outnum,ber any other year in my ownership history.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2010 at 9:06AM
congrads on your purchase,got any pics?also welcome to the site
Harris72GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harris72GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2010 at 8:52AM
In high school everyone seemed to have, or talk about camaro's and mustangs. When I graduated I took my grad money and spent it on a well used '72 Gran Torino. These cars were different from all others and stood out. I couldn't believe they were not more popular than the mustang. So I bought a car that looked worn but ran great. That car has been gone decades. Now, twenty-five years later I still have the bug and recently bought another '72 G. Torino. Love it, Love it.

Don
'72 GTS fastback

'68 Cougar GT

'09 Challenger R/T
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2010 at 12:59PM
I haven't seen any Holden Commodores,the reason I know about them is from going to I-CAR classes(Inter-Industry Conference on Auto Collision Repair)
Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2010 at 12:56PM
Well i do own a Charger lol but the rest of the stable is Blue Oval!!
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

"Never complain Never explain" Henry Ford
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>