The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What got you into liking Torino's?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What got you into liking Torino's?
    Posted: 14-March-2010 at 9:46AM
It's nice to read others stories on how they began to like Ford Torino's,so how did you get to be a Torino enthusiast?was it the latest in Movies featuring these cars like Starsky&Hutch,Gran Torino or Fast & Furious 4 or was it the old television series Starsky& Hutch or some other reason?lets here your story and when you got your Torino
albo74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2010 at 10:28AM
 well my whole story was "laid out" in a thread called prom night. But I still like the torino cars, and on another note I got the 700 into the chevelle last week and gee that goes good . 355 hp 3.25 eaton , been  driving that car longer, glad it can't talk.
albos73gts
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2010 at 11:44AM
Well it all started for me when I was 17 in High School and it was time for me to buy my first car. My older brother had gotten the '69 Charger from my Dad, so I had to find my own car. At that point I didn't even know what a Torino was!
After a few months of checking out a couple of dead end prospects which included a 74 Celia Liftback...I was discouraged. I needed a sign, or something.

That's when one day in front of school I heard a low rumble and the sound of an engine accelerating coming out of the student parking lot. As I turned, I saw a neat looking white car with a brown top racing towards me and as it passed...I noticed it had a "For Sale" sign in the window! I fell in love with the car immediately with it's long hood, short trunk and the huge tires and rims.
I remember thinking there's no way I could have such a cool car. He probably wanted more than I had to spend. I was excited and couldn't think of anything else of course...I had to find that car!

Later that week I tracked the car down at the Auto Hobby Shop in school and talked to the kid who owned it and the deal was done....$2000, just what I had. It had to be destiny! I didn't even try to talk him down, I was happy to give up the cash!
That's how it was with my first 73 GTB. After 30 years of wishing I still had it, I got my second 73 GTB!

Edited by Uante - 16-March-2010 at 11:43AM
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
'63 Econoline Standard Van
- Brent *USAF RET*
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2010 at 12:26PM

I lost a WHOLE post!!!!!

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2010 at 12:27PM
Well, my name is Carl and I am in love with the 1972 Ford Gran Torino!

EVERYTHING about this PARTICULAR car and year is SEXY!
SHE IS SOOOOOO BEAUTIFUL!

There I said it!
Step one DONE
Step two... therapy sessions... (frame off resto)

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2010 at 1:56PM
When I was a kid I was always into the larger cars. First up was a 1975 Cutlass Supreme sedan. $100 car but I sunk another grand into it before selling it to buy a new Mac LCIII. When I got to Texas I had a '79 LeBaron Town & Country, a '65 Biscayne post sedan, and a '76 Marquis Brougham. I then found a silver blue glow '75 Gran Torino sedan at the same car lot I had bought the wagon. $300 down and $50 a week and he didn't care that I was only 17. I fixed the rear window regulators and replaced a water pump before trying to take it to Wyoming to go to WyoTech. My bald left front tire caught fire when it blew out around Vernon, TX on 287 on the way up. The car was a total loss.

Fast forward to summer 2008, I'm married, have kids coming out my ears, and my wonderful wife is poking around on eBay looking for cheap cars since I had sold my green '79 Delta 88 to help us move into this house. She finds this car for $355 and that was it.

I like the way the car handles more than anything. A lot of car guys are all about tight handling, g-forces, skidpad tests, slaloms, and hard performance numbers. I like OOZING.

All of this could have been different had I bought a '66 Sedan DeVille with a bad wrist pin for $350 instead of the $100 Cutlass. I would have been a Cadillac man from day one. But the Cutlass started my love for 70's intermediates. The Torino is the Ford version, with the uber-light power steering feel, the soft sprung suspension, and that V-8 sound. The 302-351-400 engines just SOUND right, muffled or not. And even though my particular car is a pile of crap, I love it as if I had bought it new. Because to me, it feels like a new car, soft, cozy, and oozy. Little cars don't have the same attraction for me. I'll drive a Cobalt. I'll drive a Taurus. I'll even tool around in a late 80's Tercel. But I won't feel at home without a big bucket of steel with a pushrod V-8 and rear-wheel-drive around me, floating down the road and feeling safe.
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2010 at 2:06PM
"Oozy"...lol LOL
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
'63 Econoline Standard Van
- Brent *USAF RET*
1974xr7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1974xr7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2010 at 2:08PM

Well for me my first car was a 69 Torino that was a trade in on a new car lot. The poor thing was barely running and I didn't even my license yet! I was fifteen and in LOVE! My aunt drove it home for me and I started tinkering with it but it never made it to the road. Long story short, it was the only 68-69 I've ever owned, but it did start my love affair with FLM products, especially Torinos. My count is up to 14 that I've owned,only one now however. Strange how love turns to sickness,LOL.

Always looking for 1974 Q codes
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2010 at 4:16PM
I lost my story due to the access denied problem which I will reply after the problem is fixed cause I lost another reply just a short time ago on this thread and another on the tire size thread within 15 min.I even started a thread about the problem so they will know about it cause others havr had it happen.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2010 at 4:20PM
great stories everyone I enjoy reading how the members here got into Torino's.just wish my story didn't get lost.
Godzillarich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzillarich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2010 at 4:23PM
Same thing happened to me twice last week . Heres what you do before you try and submitt a post ,if its a long one copy it than if you get denied you can paste it on to your next post with out having to retype the whole darn thing, Got my story and I will share shortly.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2010 at 5:07PM
look forward to reading it.I can't copy i'm on a cellphone,which has no mouse to right click and copy.My PC has been down for months.I know the copy and paste trick done it before with my PC cause when I had dial up I would get timed out writing long emails or replies on forums so I had to save a copy and paste it on a fresh attempt.I'm waiting on another cpu which should be here this week.then I can post a few photos with my story
Dcred45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dcred45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2010 at 8:01PM
I couldnt afford a Mustang :). So I started looking at Torino's, for the price I payed for my 72' which was in good shape i could have bought a rusty POS Mustang. I must say though, I am very happy I went with a Torino, Mustangs are everywhere.
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2010 at 1:28AM

Back in 98, when all of my friends were too interested in Dukes of Hazzard..  I dared to be different. I saw an Elite sitting in a junkyard, got the car for free and said hmmmm.

Edited by Psquare75 - 15-March-2010 at 1:30AM
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2010 at 2:50AM
I guess chalk one up to Starsky &Hutch.I watched the show when I was a kid & thought the car was kewl,but when I got to driving age it never crossed my mind about Torino's
GranTorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2010 at 3:09AM
I sold my 69 Mach I, got married and after a few years had to find another 69 Mustang to fill that car void. I was driving through town and saw this big blue car with Magnum 500's on it and I had to buy it for the rims for my future Mustang project. I drove the Torino for a few years as my main vehicle and I couldn't believe the difference in the ride. My Mustang road like a wagon compared to the Torino and the car started to grow on me and the wife. My friends and family thought the Torino was big and ugly at first but now everyone likes the body style. Mustang owners are a different breed and I wasn't into perfect restorations anyway. I get a lot of compliments on my 72 GTS and that keeps me happy. I am the only guy with a '72 Torino at the race track so its fun to be unique. 

Classicfitness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Classicfitness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2010 at 3:32AM
My dad had a 1970 Torino with the 351-4v.  He used to talk a lot about that car and regrets he sold it in '74 for just 500$.  I got curious and investigated at the Torinos.  I decided I wanted a '72 fastback Q code as they have the most amazing design in my opinion and the same engine as my dad had back in the 70's.  Those windy curvy hips, the almost horizontal back window, the fancy and delicate front bumper, the organic kind of shape and of course the body on frame engineering which is way better than the 68-71 structure.  So I looked for several months before finding one sleeping for almost 15 years at 2 hours from me.  I am now rebuilding the engine as I had a stuck piston.  All this happened last year's winter.  More recently, I bought an '75 Elite as a project for when I will retire in 25 years Wink.  It was a one in a lifetime deal and the car's body/inside was pampered by the same caring owner for the last 35yrs.  I got this Elite for almost nothing and the original owner is glad it went to someone that will take care of it.  So it was a win win situation.  But before thinking of investing any time in the Elite, I will finish my '72 GTS, which still have many years of work to do.

Btw, great subject for a thread.  It is nice to learn about others' stories.

Edited by Classicfitness - 15-March-2010 at 4:56AM
'72 GTS 351-4b Gold Glow

'75 Elite 400 Polar White

My car blog: www.fordtorino72.blogspot.com

shanefolsom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shanefolsom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2010 at 3:52AM
I was probably ten or eleven when I was with my dad and he went to "hang out" in town with my uncle.  He was driving by and saw a friend which my brother and I had called "uncle Jay" although he wasnt our uncle, that is what our dad had told us to call him and who were we to know different.  Well, my "uncle Jay" had a 72 or 73 fastback torino, wasnt sure of the year, remember I was only like ten!  Anyways, it was yellow with a red stripe and MAN I was impressed.  I loved how the car sounded and it looked AWESOME!  Uncle Jay also had a 1969 Chevelle, that was blue with white hood stirpes but for some reason I fell in LOVE with the Torinos...Now my uncle Jay is driving around a dodge minivan and I have two Torinos and a Roadrunner!  GO figure!
1976 Gran Torino Limited #1
1976 Gran Torino Limited #2
1973 Gran Torino Sport
1969 Roadrunner
Skinnys Garage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skinnys Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2010 at 4:08AM
My Uncle gave me my '59 Lark on my 15th birthday, but my Dad still wanted to help me buy something that we picked out. I drove the Stude for my sophomore year and started to look for something the next summer. I spotted a '71 Torino 500 with a 4V Cleveland, buckets, console, halo top, hideaways, deep wheels with trim rings and dog dish caps for $1200 at the local Ford dealer. We went to look at it and never even got to drive it. My Dad didn't like the 120K and asked what else they had. I was a bit disappointed when the salesman walked us back to a big white '73 with 80K on it for $1200 also. Although I was a big Starsky & Hutch fan, this was no flashy red S&H car. I asked the salesman what it had for an engine and he said it was a 302. My Dad liked the looks of the car and thought I should drive it, so me and the salesman took it out of town a ways and turned around. On the way back I stepped on it a bit and it really pulled hard. I investigated back at the dealership and found a 400, not a 302 under the hood. I started to see the potential and gave the go ahead for some dealing. Dad went into the office and came out a little while later with some paperwork and the keys. He had worked them down to $775, so he was happy and I was happy. I didn't have the car an hour and my friends and I were out doing 2 block long one wheel burnouts. No need to power brake, just nail it and the little G-78-14 radial would go up in smoke until I let off. Years of tinkering later I still have the Lark and the Torino, but have gone though lots of other cars over the years including an S&H and a nice '70 optioned about like the 500 I was after.Cool 

Edited by Skinnys Garage - 15-March-2010 at 4:08PM
Scott -'73 Gran Torino Brougham

Past Torino's -'73 Q-code GTS, '76 Original PS-122 S&H, '73 H-code GTS, '73 Ranchero
        '71 Cobra 351 Auto, '70 351C Brougham 2dr HT, '71 351C Ranchero
Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2010 at 4:38AM

I had a 69 428 Mach1 and had a family thing going on and of course the Torino was such a good looking car, I figured I could have my cool car and have room for the kids too. So I ordered my Torino and 2months later had a new ride. couldn't believe how nice it drove compared to my Mach 1 ,must have worked still have this bad boy!! My youngest son was almost born in this car! that was a ride I never will forget. I have had lots of Mustangs, but the Torino was the keeper.

Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

"Never complain Never explain" Henry Ford
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2010 at 6:32AM
great stories everyone.I always enjoyed reading the stories when someone would post about their car so I thought why not start a thread on that very subject,who knows it may become popular enough for a sticky.
BBPeik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBPeik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2010 at 8:56AM
I just stumbled upon my toino on craigslist. Never had one before, but my buddy had one in High School. It needed a bunch of work, but it looked like a fun project. Now that I have put so much into the car I absolutely love it. They are a really sweet looking car.
Brendan
1973 Gran Torino Sport 357 Cleveland FMX 3.50 auburn pro posi 1969 Black Jade
moose0211 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moose0211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2010 at 12:35PM
My son and I were looking for a muscle car project to spend some time together and have a cool car. He originally wanted a mustang but mustangs are EVERYWHERE! Then he found a 72 gran torino for sale and it was on a trailer, in the middle of a farm, with a 351!!! We both havent seen a 72 or 73 in many many years so we bought it and love it. When we are done, its going to be dark green metallic, the 351 will be a little beefed up and possibly a 4 speed. depends how the urge hits us. Heres a pic of it on the farm.

Edited by moose0211 - 15-March-2010 at 10:59PM
VorbottenO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VorbottenO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2010 at 12:53PM
OK, the short version....
First car I ever got lucky in with a cheerleader from a rival highschool.
There, I said it!

Working at a service station while in highschool in 1976. Was driving a 67 Falcon Futura (289hypo/4 spd) and the manager of the station had a 72 Gran Torino Sport H code.
I had finally scored a date with a cheerleader after 2 months of diligent pursuit and as my car was a little rough ask Leon if I could borrow his Torino. She loved the car, I fell in love with it!

September that year he decided to sell it to get a new truck and I was eagerly standing by with $1200. We had already done a number of upgrades to the car including a 1971 351C 4V from a Cougar, C6 from the C4, dual exhaust, and locker rear.
Over the next three years it went through several transitions from street to strip. I had the good fortune of growing up in Central IN and only 4 miles from Bob Glidden (most of the guys on this forum will know who he is). I had one of the first stroked 351Cs (408ci)off the track, Nash 5speed tranny, and at one point a 671 blower.
Damn I miss that car......
Trying to re-live it with the N code.

Eric
72GTS-Ncode (429-477ci)

crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2010 at 12:59PM
I was always into Mustangs, and when I was in high school I found a '67 Shelby GT350 to restore.  So I sold my '69 Mach 1 (first car) and bought the '67.  I finished the car and decided I couldn't take it to college (it turned out REALLY nice), and my best friend's parents were selling a '74 Torino 2-door, so I bought it.  I was always hooked on Fords, so it made sense.
Anyway, I took that car on WAY more trips than my Shelby, and even though the Shelby was cooler than a 351-W 'Family' car, I always had tons of fun in it.  Ahh, college days LOL
So a few years back I was debating on picking up an older muscle car to restore.  I had a '69 Galaxie XL Convertible for a while, but it was just tooooooo big & boaty.  I wanted something sportier to take the kids out with. 
Then I remembered how much I loved my old Torino.  Believe it or not, I didn't even realize that they made the fastback after '71.  I was looking at older Torinos and came across this site-- and fell in love with the '72-73 Fastbacks.  Actually I love 'em all, but these years reminded me of my old '74.  Plus when I was a kid I did like the S&H tv show...
Funny thing is, about 6 months after I got the car the ads for Gran Torino started showing and everyone asks me if I bought it because of the movie! Confused
And that's how I ended up with it!
~Chris
Plus- I gotta say- the guys on this web site ROCK Clap and make it all the better to own one! Good company!
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2010 at 1:05PM
I bought mine in january this year, i was looking for a 70-71 chevelle or a 69-70-71 camaro. But price was a struggle. My boss offer me for Christmas a book about muscle car, it a 160 pages book, where every muscle car from the early 60 to 75 were described.
So, i ended up with a list of around 25 looking good and rockin' cars . The torino was listed to, as a 70 model, Torino Cobra, red paint  with a black primer hood and a ram air option Heart.
After looking around craiglist sice november (the plan actually was to buy a 69 camaro april 2010), i found couple of camaro, but mostly late models, around 78-81. I was gonna buy a 81, 350 engine for 2000$ in long island but the guy didn't answer his phone ( thanks to god Approve). I wassn't in a good mood this day, til this evening, then i saw it, a 73 gran torino, 2500$, couple of aftermarket park, a 302 stock engine (at this moment, i didn't knew sh*t about this engine). It was written on the add the guy lost his job, and needed to get ride of the car as soon as possible.
Guess what, it was nearly 10 pm, but i called anyway, set up a meeting for the next saturday, and cannot slept all night.

Saturday mornin' get up at 7 am, was ready for 7.30, and took the sub right away, after a trip from queens to manhattan, i took for the first time the staten island ferry, the trip was wonderful, why LOL.
Arrived at the guy's place at 10 am. The car was parked in the driveway, so i took a look at the car before i'de knock at the door. I knocked one time, then a second time, then ring, phoned the guy. I've spent 2 hours and a half in front of the doorDead. Dog inside were barking so loud.
Well, after i've wait so long, i've send a text to the guy and went to burger king (another first time btw LOL) When i came back, i've wait an hour again, ring the guy every five minutes.
When i was goin' to come back home, a car arrived and park in the driveway.
I saw a mom in it, so i said her her husband was not there, and that i was waiting for the last 3 hours (nearly 3 hours and a half Angry). She told me:"my husband is not there, but my stupid son do".
Guess what, after she almost broke the door, somebody came out, already dress and get in the car (this is the kind of moment you wanna take the guy and struggle him to death Dead).
She came back to me and told me her son was comin right away Big smile.
I took him 15 minutes to get dressedCry, nice guy, but late.
After i checked the car, no rust, youhouSmile, clean tittle Smile, and gorgeous, i said, ok, i take it. I didn't even try to get the better price, only paid it 2200$. I didn't want to loose the car because i couldn't afford it. Actually, i had only 2200$ on my bank account LOLLOL.
The guy was so nice that he let me pay him next week. I was so anxious that i came the next monday to pay him and be sure i wasn't gonna miss the car. Then, i left the car in his driveway for 3 weeks, the time i found a garage and a cheap flatbed( anyway, i didn't had money to take the car back)

The day i picked up the car, guess what, the towing guy was more than an hour late, just enough to make me stress to be late at work, and i was by the way.

A pick from the add on craiglist.

Sorry for the long long post LOL
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2010 at 11:16PM
ya and the rest of the story is on the progress thread.Bet your glad you didn't give up waiting now.
interceptor460 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote interceptor460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2010 at 12:49AM
I always liked mustangs  the 69's with a 428cj engine. I had a chance to buy one but was $400 bucks short. My dad had a 76 torino wagon and that thing was as tough as nails kept going even if it had only a quart of oil in it .And had seen over 18 accidents over a 10 year period. So my first car was a 68 ltd with a 428 cid  in it fully loaded. I loved the car for the style and pep the 428 had. When I found a 74 red 460 pi 2 door torino . Oh what handling, power and the coke bottle look that everyone loves .It was a great car ,but what a rust bucket. after 10 or 11 torinos I still love the cars . Just can not get over the poor milage they get,bet I love the ride.Oh the 68 ford ltd was used in film here in quebec and the car is for sale on KIJIJI ,montreal. To bad the jersks took out the 428 cj engine I sold it with.
Hey Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2010 at 4:08AM
I was looking for a car and saw a 1972 GTS listed in a local paper that claimed to have a 429 SCJ motor.  It was a solid car with only minimal quarter panel rust and I verified it was an SCJ motor so I bought it for only $3200.  The owner claimed that it was an original 429 SCJ car that although they were not officially sanctioned for 1972 that it must have been a leftover 429.  I was never able to confirm whether or not the motor was original or not and was too young and dumb to understand how important that was at the time. 

Our family was growing and I had two cars and one of them had to go so I could buy a new house.  I had that torino and a 1970 Mach 1 Mustang with a 351 cleveland.  I listed both cars for sale and thought for sure the mustang would sell first which was fine with me because I really liked the torino more.  Unfortunately someone realized it was an actual 429 SCJ and bought the torino immediately.  I was so depressed I went ahead and sold the mach too.  Wish I had never ever sold that torino.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2010 at 6:09AM
wow a 429 SCJ,that musta been sweet,so somewhere down the line you bought your current car to get back your passion for Torino's
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>