The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Winter Project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquireCJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winter Project
    Posted: 26-March-2010 at 5:03PM
I have been working on several cars in between snow storms but the biggest project was my brother's 1974 Ranchero GT. He had it towed to my house in January for me to replace the engine. I was a little shocked when I saw the car, it has had a hard four years since I last saw it.
Four years ago it looked like this.

When It arrived it looked like this

My brother said that he went to start it up one day and it just would not start, it would crank but would not start.  This is what I found.

I installed the replacement engine with no issues, a 351C replacing a 351C

Even though it has been snowing quite a bit this winter, I just could not stand looking at what happen to the paint on my brother's Ranchero from 4 years of San Diego sun with no cover and never being waxed.

So I went ahead and did a partial paint job on it only painting the upper half as the lower half seem to be fine as it did not get the direct exposure of the top half.  This was quite the winter challenge being that I had to paint it outdoors between storms and only being able to apply paint when I knew the weather would hold above 50 degrees for a couple of hours.  As some of you know I have painted several cars using the Roll on Rust-Oleum method of painting which is how I painted this one.

I paint sections at a time. 12 thin coats mixed 50/50 paint and Mineral spirits on the flat surfaces that face up and 8 thin coats on the sides and wet sanding between every two coats.

Once painting is done, a final wet sanding with 2000 grit and a polishing.
Not bad for $30 in paint and supplies.Wink

while painting the car I found that my brother had a bed cover he never installed, so I installed it as well as a Ford Emblem on the tailgate which helped with the transition of colors on the tailgate.

If you have questions on the painting method feel free to ask or check out this site
http://rolledon.forummotion.com/forum.htm

Skinnys Garage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skinnys Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2010 at 5:23PM
He needs to put a smaller battery in there. That one spun the motor over so fast it threw a rod before it started!Wink

EPA friendly paint job with no overspray to clean up, what else could you ask for? Your brother should be pleased.Cool
Scott -'73 Gran Torino Brougham

Past Torino's -'73 Q-code GTS, '76 Original PS-122 S&H, '73 H-code GTS, '73 Ranchero
        '71 Cobra 351 Auto, '70 351C Brougham 2dr HT, '71 351C Ranchero
SquireCJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquireCJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2010 at 5:35PM
That's funny that you mention that about the battery, he had just installed a new one just before it happened.
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2010 at 5:38PM
You know what he needs?
some 15"x9.5" 5x5 bolt pattern nascar wheels.
Change the front rotors, and get a rear axle off a full size or a new set of adapters...
and bolt these on:
Wink 

Edited by Eliteman76 - 26-March-2010 at 5:39PM
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
SquireCJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquireCJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2010 at 5:50PM
He definitely needs new tires, I have been reluctant to drive it with the

Telly Savalas racing slicks he has on it.LOL
Turbo301 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbo301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2010 at 1:51AM
Quote Even though it has been snowing quite a bit this winter, I just could not stand looking at what happen to the paint on my brother's Ranchero from 4 years of San Diego sun with no cover and never being waxed.

Why would he never wax it? That is such a waste, and certain death for a black vehicle Cry. I wax my T/A twice a year, and it never sees rain (and not even strong sun if I can help it)!

Anyway, it's great that you were able to help him out, both with the engine and the pain. My experience from modeling is that, no matter how rough a paintjob, enough sanding and buffing can return a mirror-smooth finish!
1977 Cougar XR7
1980 turbo Trans Am
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
SquireCJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquireCJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2010 at 5:20AM
Originally posted by Turbo301 Turbo301 wrote:

Why would he never wax it? That is such a waste, and certain death for a black vehicle Cry. I wax my T/A twice a year, and it never sees rain (and not even strong sun if I can help it)!

Anyway, it's great that you were able to help him out, both with the engine and the pain. My experience from modeling is that, no matter how rough a paintjob, enough sanding and buffing can return a mirror-smooth finish!

I don't understand why he never waxed it, he is a surfer and waxes his boards all the time.Big smile

As for the paint, as long as it is mixed properly with the correct ratio of paint to mineral spirits for the weather it will lay down flat and only minimal sanding.  When rolling on paint it is always better to go thin and apply more coats than to apply the paint too thick and have more sanding to do.
 Post Reply Post Reply