The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

looking for a Torino Wagon body

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: looking for a Torino Wagon body
    Posted: 03-April-2010 at 4:34PM
Reading the 72 wagon restomod thread and galhetas gave me the idea of what I want to do with my 73 formal roof.I need to find a Torino wagon body that has a good roof and back section as I want to cut and splice a wagon back onto my car and build a ProStreet Torino Delivery. the front can be junk,stripped of parts or wrecked,just interested in a decent roof,back wagon section behind the rear doors and decent tailgate
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2010 at 4:44PM
also would like to find it in the Southern or eastern states cause I need to be able to pick it up myself.My 73 Sportroof is stranded in Nebraska cause I have to have it shipped.but I would like to save the 73 formal roof car and found my answer if I can find a Torino wagon body cheap enough.no title needed and not concerned too much with the front but some good fenders would be a bonus but not using the doors as it will use the 2 door,doors and wagon back half then weld up the rear side windows to make a kewl delivery wagon.This is another one of those cars I always wanted a delivery of some sort to ProStreet and this has possiblities
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2010 at 6:23PM
there are no vintage junkyards incmy area so if anyone has a lead on a classic junkyard that might have a Torino wagon,just keep in mind I live in South Florida so the closer the better but eastern time zone is the best cause of distance
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2010 at 12:46AM
Oh, you don't have old car junkyards, do you?

http://oldgoldcars.com/

Oh, you do, you just didn't know it.

I'd offer mine but the tailgate is spoken for and I'm in Texas, a good 1400 miles from you.

I checked car-part.com and all the wagons seem to be west coast or midwest (KY/OH/IL). It's like they know what you wanna do and they just don't want to be a part of it.
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2010 at 5:21AM
yah,Texas and midwest is too far.this is why i'm starting the search now,I figure it will take time to find one but thought it would be a kewl ride and another way I could salvage the formal roof instead of scraping it.It needs a roof,so the wagon's roof would fix that and making it into a 2 door delivery would be just kewl as all get out.without a computer and internet right now makes it hard to do searches like you did,plus it always helps to put feelers out cause another member just might know where to find it
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2010 at 6:37AM
Well, after you get the '73 GTS delivered to Florida, I happen to know of a 1972 Gran Torino wagon...but it's 6 hours from me.
Here is a '74 wagon:

Here is a '74-'76 {I think?} wagon, 2 hours from me.

There was this one I looked at this one last summer, it was about an hour south of Omaha, but it was a bit on the rough side. I went down to get the front clip, but was a lot worse than the guy thought.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2010 at 6:54AM
Here's one up the street from me here in Central Kansas

And another one...

Now let's see how can we get one of these AND Andy's 73 down to Florida??
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2010 at 6:58AM
thats the problem Andy I can't afford to ship another one and they won't ship junk,it has to be atleast a rolling chassis.I plan on getting the GTS first but finding a wagon body close enough that I can drive myself is gonna take time to find,so that is why I'm starting the search now.it sucks cause I know there is a bunch out your way anf further west,just too far for me to travel.It wouldn't be bad to find one in NC or another connecting state cause I got the formal roof from NC and the trip is doable on a weekend and cheaper then shipping the GTS from your place.If you were closer I would have gotten already but it takes too long and would have to miss work and that is not an option
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2010 at 7:03AM
Well, you could always clip the back half off a wagon and ship via truck, but hell you would be better off to find a complete car.

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2010 at 7:04AM
Well MAYBE we could work some sort of deal!?

We might be headed to Florida later this spring/summer.
A Uhaul and trailer rented by you and expenses paid for the trip?

We MIGHT be able to work some sort of deal...
We'll talk!
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2010 at 7:05AM
Carl...I just looked at that first wagon...yellow and woodgrain?
What the hell was wrong with the 70's at times?? LOL 
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2010 at 7:16AM
dang Carl that 73 squire would be perfect.Tell you what guys if I don't find one close enough next year I will drive out that wag and get one cause this is a build that I'm gonna do for sure.it may take time but I am determined to build a ProStreet Torino Delivery.The GTS build is gonna start this summer after I get rid of the 66 Chevelle i'm building now.Problem is I got a Snap On welder in partial payment for the Chevelle otherwise I would have had the money for the shipping of the GTS already.The chevell is my Snap On dealers car so I have a welder but not making payments just working it off on his car.after the welder is worked off then I get cash but by then I will already have the GTS here.i'll keep those wagons in mind for next year if I don't come across something closer
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2010 at 7:18AM
Dude, good trade, what's the size of the unit?
Snap on makes some decent welders.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2010 at 7:33AM
besides if I make a trip out next year for a wagon we could have a get together for all the members who are close enough.I was gonna suggest we have a Torino Enthusiast Get Together next year somewhere in the central US.It would be really great to meet some of you that I frequently talk to on here.I really want to meet Andy cause he has been really great working with me on the GTS and I consider him a good friend.It's just too bad he isn't closer cause I would have painted his 72 GTS for him.Iknow my paintwork would exceed his expectations cause I'm really particular about the quality and if I don 't like how something turns out I redo it before the owner even see's it and I tell them that i'm redoing it cause I wasn't happy.some people try to hide,disguise or hope you don't see a flaw but not me if I don't like it i'm not going to try to pass it off.I have very high standards.I think it may have been part of my downfall but I won't sacrifice quality,I just can't bring myself to do it.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2010 at 7:40AM
Dude, there is an all ford car show in the south eastern side of Iowa that I keep missing but have been meaning to hit up.
Not going this year thought because of the Powertour.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2010 at 7:41AM
ya its the muscle mig that has the detachable pack so if you have to weld in high place you can take the spool pak that is lite and leave the rest on the ground.it's a 110 but it welds 1/4 in steel and welds better then those 110 Lincoln,Hobart or other welders as it has sold copper coils inside the main body.I had to install a 30 amp circuit cause it draws nore then those pocket migs.It's perfect for my needs.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2010 at 7:50AM
Andy the model number is MM140SL the Muscle Mig series is Snap On's top of the line migs.When I closed my resto shop and was out of work for 5 months I had to take my 220v Snap On welder and use it to pay off my tool account
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2010 at 7:56AM
Pretty nice!
My little 110v Century welder was something a shop I worked for had sitting around collecting dust needing a few minor parts. I was the only one that used it, everyone else at that place wanted the big 220v units, but I never needed anything for the sheet metal work I was doing other than my Century unit.
It can do up to 1/4" plate if I crank the heat way up and fuss with the wire speeds, but works good for most of the stuff I do w/o issue.
I still need to get a small cutting torch set, but just not a priority. Not exactly stick welding 1" plate, ya know?

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2010 at 8:05AM
So far this MM140SL has welded everything that my 230v Snap On welder would weld.I forget the model number on it but it wasn't a Muscle Mig,everything was contained in the same body and was all red the MM's are red but the spool pack is white. I had my friends little Lincoln 110v here but it won't weld over 3/16ths.I also wanted my own welder so when I seen it on the truck I got it then he asked me about doing the Chevelle so I never made a payment and I had the welder for months before I even got the Chevelle body here.Whats nice is I can take it somewhere and weld but don't need a 220v supply and you can find 110 outlets everywhere.I thought it was a good trade and now when I work off the mig he will start paying me cash
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2010 at 8:20AM

Hey Guys, I'm glad the wagons are getting a little bit of love. Prostreet I'm glad you were motivated to build a Prostreet wagon. If it looks anything like RPM's it is gonna look awesome. Looking at all these poor wagons sitting in fields everywhere is sad to see, but at least they're not CRUSHED.

There is place in Virginia that has a 1974 Gran Torino wagon for sale. Here is their contact info: http://roaring-twenties.com/contact_us_at_roaring_twenties.htm
Buick, Torino Wagon, Packard

They may be able to help ya out and it's not too far from ya I imagine.

Anyway my wagon got a new set of shoes:

Edited by gpd294 - 04-April-2010 at 8:25AM
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2010 at 8:24AM
ya frame's are not even that thick and that is the thickest metal I have to weld on a car,so this welder is great.when I crank it up it will tripva 20 amp circuit it draws so much i had to install a dedicated 30 amp 110v circuit in the garage.It will weld fine with 20 amp on the lower settings but if I need to burn in some thickass stuff it needs the 30 amps. Well maybe next year either way could plan on that All Ford show,but if I have to pick up a wagon out ther I can't bring the 73 GTS cause I won't have room for 2 on a single car trailer.The GTS will be the fastest frame off build I have ever done cause it will be mine and the motivation factor will be high so if I startvthis summer it will be done for next spring.I knowcits possible cause I built a rotted out 66 Charger in 3 months and had to replace the floor and make quarter,cowl and tailpanel patches along with around the back glass.complete color change painted the K member and all the suspension,had to do interior work and assemble the whole car
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2010 at 8:31AM
if you look at my myspace it is the maroon 66 Charger,that is the finished pic.It was a rotted white POS when I got it.When I get the internet fixed I'm gonna update that page or put albums with before,during and after till I build a new website.
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2010 at 1:21PM
Originally posted by 73 ProStreetTorino 73 ProStreetTorino wrote:

thats the problem Andy I can't afford to ship another one and they won't ship junk,it has to be atleast a rolling chassis.I plan on getting the GTS first but finding a wagon body close enough that I can drive myself is gonna take time to find,so that is why I'm starting the search now.it sucks cause I know there is a bunch out your way anf further west,just too far for me to travel.It wouldn't be bad to find one in NC or another connecting state cause I got the formal roof from NC and the trip is doable on a weekend and cheaper then shipping the GTS from your place.If you were closer I would have gotten already but it takes too long and would have to miss work and that is not an option

I call BS.. WWW.uship.com. 

Find someone that will ship 'junk'. If they want your cash, they'll deal. 
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2010 at 3:17PM
I used USHIP when I brought my T-Bird from Ohio to Kansas.

I have their direct number now, he said let him know if I need anything else moved.
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2010 at 4:30AM
well I didn't know about them,i'll have to check them out.all the transport companies I talked to want atleast a rolling chassis cause they have to list it on a message board &they don't know who is actually gonna take the load.Drivers go on the boards and pick loads when the need to fill a spot on their transporter.It could go on a semi car hauler,3 car trailer,2 car trailer or what ever the driver using to haul it.they don't have forklifts or rollback wreckers usually so it has to be rolling but they charge extra when it dont run and drive.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2010 at 5:33AM
Well, it's a rolling chassis...it's also a very greasy, dripping, going to need to be hotsy blasted car.
But on the plus side of 20+ years of oil leakage, the underside of the car got a nice 1/4" thick layer of anti-rusting...Wink
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2010 at 11:02AM
I know the GTS is a rolling chassis,thats not an issue.What i'm refering to is if I found a wagon body and it was missing wheels or suspension the transporters I talked to wont touch it.If I buy a wagon the only realcthing I care about is if the roof,quarters,tailgate and rear bumper are good.The front don't matter unless it has straight rust free fenders that will work with the 73 header,otherwise i'll just patch the GTS fenders cause the GTS is getting the fenders and doors from my formal roof as they seem to be in better shape.I'm gonna check with this USships on what they want for the shipping from Nebraska to here.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2010 at 11:32AM
anyone know omaha zipcode? hey Andy what is your zipcode? I need to get a quote or questimate
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2010 at 3:20PM
 Post Reply Post Reply