The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need Tow Bar help/advice on a 72

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregs72Sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Tow Bar help/advice on a 72
    Posted: 27-July-2004 at 9:04AM
Hello. I am thinking of moving and I want to take my 72 Gran Torino with me. I cant finish engine work before I move. Companys want to much to move a non running car and u haul says the cars wheelbase (side to side) is to much (wide)for there trailers. So. I was thinking of just using a tow bar to tow the car behind the u haul truck. Has anyone used a tow bar on a 72? Any brand recomendations that are in the 300 dollar range or less? I will be towing the car about 1800 miles. I just worry about 1800 miles with wheels on the ground. The car was lat driven about 2 and a half years ago. Just worry about a bad bearing or ? on a long trip towed. Greg
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2004 at 7:40PM
Anytime I have used a tow bar, it has been a rented one from rental places (like Uhaul, but never from them directly). I have never used a tow bar on a 72, however, but good tow bars should contour enough to fit the front.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
bfast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2005 at 6:32AM
The rental ones are good. Just pad it alot and no sharp corners.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2005 at 4:51AM
You can also use a Tow Dolly, I towed mine with it, For long distance disconnect the drive shaft and like someone else said No Sharp turns (u-Turns)
 Post Reply Post Reply