The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Support Bars for 1976 front suspension

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Support Bars for 1976 front suspension
    Posted: 23-July-2005 at 6:11AM
I had a 1976 Elite, which had two support bars (not the strut rods), and they ran from the frame where the engine mounts (underneath part) to the front frame rail, sort of outside a bit from where the strut rods hook in.

It was a 3/4" or so diameter tube, flattened on the ends, and just bolted in on the bottom side of things.

Looks like it was there for some extra support.

The car had a 400. My 1975 Sport with a 351 does not have that.

Anyone know the purpose of it?
JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2005 at 2:17AM

Did the car have a rear sway bar as well?  My 1975 Elite with the towing package had the same thing.  They are likely there for strength, triangulation...

(I wish I'd have removed them from my parts car before it got scrapped ten years ago) 

1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st
Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2005 at 1:38AM
I have seen these on T-Birds as well. And 460 cop cars.
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

"Never complain Never explain" Henry Ford
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2005 at 11:15AM

I kept the bars from my Elite, the only problem was that they mount to monuments that are attached to both the front frame rail and the center frame engine section, and of course I did not cut those off. I am sure new ones could be fabricated, or cut off a car having them. Basically I will not be able to mount them to my 75 Sport unless I do.

It does look like it would provide added rigidity, which could not hurt one bit, even with the Torino's beefy frame and suspension.

I'd definately recommend it for folks going to a 460 engine swap.

Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2005 at 4:12PM
It's had to imagine that a car as beefy as the Torino would need more reinforcement but the Motor co. likes to overbuild things a little anyways.    Guess that's why a lot of our cars are still around!! Built right last longer!
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

"Never complain Never explain" Henry Ford
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2005 at 3:44PM
my 76 elite has the same thing i have a 351 w but at the ends there are holes right by the brake lines
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2005 at 11:18AM
after my reply i went out to take a look and i noticed that one side has a conecting rod or bolt that goes to the back hole by the spring
GranTorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2005 at 5:33AM
Somebody should take a picture of this Support Bar and post it. My 72 GTS is an original 429 and I don't think I have one, just a really beefy sway bar.   
tjbooker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjbooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2005 at 1:47PM

ARE THESE THE BARS THAT COME OUT OF THE FRAME TOWARDS THE FRONT? I HAVE TWO ON MY 74, BESIDES FRONT AND REAR SWAYBARS. COULD THEY HAVE BEEN PART OF A HANDLING PACKAGE?

TJ

mrhford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2005 at 5:12PM
I stripped a 78 MarkV and it had a front and rear(of the engine crossmember). from under the car it looked like an X, kept them for my 72 GTS sportsroof, 351C 4 speed 3.00...... 150mph+
Henry Ford
www.geocities.com/mrhford
 Post Reply Post Reply