Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Aussie" heads with 400

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Aussie" heads with 400
    Posted: 20-May-2010 at 6:48AM
So, if a person searches though the 335 series engine forum at ProjectBronco.com long enough (a stellar resource in my opinion), you will see several points repeated:

1.  Aussie heads are closed chamber and will raise compression ratio (CR) to around 9.5:1 or so.

2.  400's no longer have a piston that will attain a higher CR (only stock style are available).

3.  Modification of 351C pistons by modifying the wrist pins will work, but will created a shorted life for the rotating assembly.

4.  Use of Aussie heads can cause detonation and pinging (the same problems 400's are so famous for anyway).

I believe the issue with the closed chambered heads and the detonation has to do with the "quench", which I believe is the area of the "closed" part of the close chambered head that has too much clearance when the piston is at TDC (meaning the block is the problem, not the flat part of the head).

But the more I read, the less definitive answers on this very topic I can find.

Anyone have any experience with this problem?
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
SquireCJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquireCJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2010 at 7:47AM
I have no experience with reworking a 400 but I have read much on the subject. Here is a link to a good article on a 400 build.
http://fordmuscle.com/archives/2007/02/Ford400/index.php
mtburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2010 at 12:29PM
Originally posted by GranTorinoSport GranTorinoSport wrote:

I believe the issue with the closed chambered heads and the detonation has to do with the "quench", which I believe is the area of the "closed" part of the close chambered head that has too much clearance when the piston is at TDC (meaning the block is the problem, not the flat part of the head).

But the more I read, the less definitive answers on this very topic I can find.

Anyone have any experience with this problem?

I have run a couple 400's, but only in pickup trucks, not in a real performance application.

The quench and detonation issue is related to the piston deck hight, not the block.

The piston is way too far down in the hole to produce a good quench area, and it also makes for a very poor compression ratio.

In the past the fix was custom (expensive) pistons with a different compression height, that put the top of the piston much closer to the top of the deck, or at a "zero" deck hight.

Tim Meyer had a fix with for this with a reasonably priced hyper piston, but I don't see them on his web site now, and hyper piston scare me.

Once you get around the deck hight issue, then you hit the next major problem which is there are no good performance 400 Ford intake manifolds on the market for a real performance application.

One of the solutions to this was to buy a set of intake spacers and use a 351 Cleveland intake, but 2 sets of intake gaskets makes 2 times more of a chance to leak oil, and twice as much money to replace them when needed, plus they cost almost as much as an intake manifold.

To this add the fact that the 400 has a big block bellhousing bolt pattern, so you are most likley going to end up using a C6 with a heavy rotating mass, or spending more $$$ on some other solution.

I have been criticized for this comment in the past, but the when you consider these 3 issues when trying to build a performance 400, doesn't building a 429 or 460 make much more sence?

I am a Cleveland guy, I have 3 in cars right now, and the 400 is a "big Cleveland", but I do not see any value, or bennefit to going with a 400 in almost any situation.

I can easily see building a 400 inch Cleveland, or a 545 inch 460, but there is too much to overcome in order to get the same performance per dollar with a 400 versus either of the other 2 combos.

Mike H.

GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2010 at 12:39PM
A 400 inch Cleveland?
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
mtburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2010 at 12:54PM
Absolutely.

They will make 500 easy HP and can keep going all the way up to 700.
Fordified V8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fordified V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2010 at 3:44AM
I have just finished a 400 inch Cleveland. The Dyno results are delayed because my Hooker Super Comps won't fit the stand. Impatiently waiting for a set of shortys. I plan to post the entire build upon completion.
70 MACH I "R" code

72 GTS 351CJ

72 TR6

15 F250 Lariat
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2010 at 2:55PM
Originally posted by Fordified V8 Fordified V8 wrote:

I have just finished a 400 inch Cleveland. The Dyno results are delayed because my Hooker Super Comps won't fit the stand. Impatiently waiting for a set of shortys. I plan to post the entire build upon completion.

I will be very interested to hear the details of your success story!
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2010 at 3:46PM
me too as I want to build my Cleveland bigger HP for a 73 GTS and hoping it will keep up with the 1969 429 in the 72 GTS when it's built.
I would like to get close to 500 hp out of each motor.I know for a 429 that is not a problem but certainly want to see some big hp cleveland builds so I don't have to build it more then once and can order what I need the first time as I only want to build these motors once.
torino75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torino75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2010 at 2:58PM

Hi,

kinda old post , but i thought i'd put my 2 cents in anyways.
I have Built a 351M And slapped the aussie heads on myself.
i done some mild porting /gasket matching / smoothing on the heads.
i put 1.71 and 2.19 valves (not sure on the numbers, either way, i've put 4V head valves in)
hardened seats, angles valve job, brass guides, yada yada ;)
Slapped on edelbrock performer 400 intake with a holley 650 CFM
headers, comp cams 275DEH
Had some material shaved off the deck a bit to help.
Engine is running strong since 2004!! no issues at all with it
it is a great performer, not a monster by any means but it certainly boosts 300+HP
have to use premium gas with it!
the aussie heads are nice to up the comp. ratio.
the stock heads are said to be 79CC, i think my aussie heads measured up to 59CC after machining.

if you are thinking about doing it, i will say as Starsky said: ''DO IT'' Big smile

LOL

SYL
torkair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torkair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2010 at 3:57AM
Using the Cleveland pistons with the "M" rods is easy, you just need to bush the small end of the "M" rod in order to accept the smaller Cleveland wrist pin, mechanically it's an easy fix since the 460 guys do it all the time, cost wise on the other hand I have no clue.
72 Gran Torino "sport"- in progress

73 Ranchero GT- Q code-460/C6/3.25 open rear
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2010 at 8:19AM
i wouldn't consider 'The Mutt' a good way to go about a 400 build by any means

the 400 is the Cleveland's tall deck brother that never got noticed, after 71 it was detuned into a pathetic smog dog and never recovered from the reputation of boat anchor until recently. there was a puller truck called Shazam that used a 351W forged crank & quality internals to make 800hp. Tim Meyer's 434 stroker kits also use the 351W crank for the lighter counterweights, it's a drop-in with the same stock mains, rod and thrust specs. or, aftermarket stroker cranks can use alternate rod journal dimensions

Edited by Rockatansky - 13-October-2010 at 8:21AM
HbMarine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HbMarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2011 at 1:46PM
my question is has anyone here actually had an aussie head 400. ive searched all over the internet and no one seems to have any first had knowledge on how they perform on a 400. ive been considering putting performance heads on my 400 for a long time and the only thing im interested in is if any one knows if you "need" to swap the pistons in order to use performance heads on a 400.
72 gt 400m auto 10.2 @ 70mph in 1/8th

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. - George Orwell"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2011 at 2:08PM
many factors involved as to whether the combo will work for you, cam choice regarding dynamic compression ratio, octane, gearing...

more than a few have been built on this forum,
sort through the back pages and you'll find some very potent builds and many tips

my opinion is that a 2V port will hold the 400 cubes back, the 2V head isn't a performance head per say. for about the same as a set of iron Aussies or not much more you can have new Trickflows
HbMarine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HbMarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2011 at 2:15PM
I've been considering the edelbrock heads has any one here ever used them on a stock stroke 400 with a nice heavy cam. I've got long tubes the edelbrock 400 intake and a 750 carb.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. - George Orwell"
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2011 at 5:03PM
If you are running a 750 carb, and it's not too much carb for that engine build, then you'd probably benefit from the E-brock heads. The flow numbers I have seen for other Ford products show them as superior. They are a 2V design, so you're good there.

However, your intake manifold choice might be your weakness. With only a Performer intake available, and the sort of flow you're talking about, I'd look into a better intake (351C) and get some adapter plates.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
HbMarine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HbMarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2011 at 5:10PM
Actually I had tha same idea for the intake thing, I was thinking about useing an edelbrock or weiand airgap

Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2011 at 5:40PM
You almost have to in order to get a good intake. It's two more gaskets and another two parts to worry about, but what other options are there? None.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
HbMarine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HbMarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2011 at 5:59PM
Now they say you might need to extend your distributor when you do that but I have the profrom hei dizzy for mine and it seems to have more clearance underneath it, I guess ill switch the intake out and see what happens

Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2011 at 6:01PM
That issue I know nothing of. I'd say go for it unless you can find direct evidence that particular distributor won't work.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2011 at 7:22PM
a single plane intake will be a lot less likely to have an interference problem than a dual plane with the high runner doing a 90* right behind the dizzy

pretty sure Tim Meyer has forged pistons available, items seem to come & go from his site from time to time. probably best to just call

Edited by Rockatansky - 25-January-2011 at 7:25PM
kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2011 at 8:46PM
Do you guys have a good easy access to Aussie heads or do you go the 3V ali pair ?
1973 Q code sports roof
HbMarine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HbMarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2011 at 8:53PM
Tim meyer and aus ford parts sell lots of them id give them a try

kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2011 at 8:58PM
I was hoping I could help , they are reasonably cheep down these ways , I think the shipping would be astronomical tho to the US  
1973 Q code sports roof
superroo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2011 at 10:56PM
yeh, i just can't see the point in shipping a set of old iron over buying allys...

CHI make an off the shelf single plane for the 400 but it's pricey as.

i was contemplating building my 400 to prove to people they can actually perform (look at that engine masters winner, with the CHI gear) but decided bang for buck to go 460 since its got the bb trans anyway
Carl
 Post Reply Post Reply