The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Joys of 40 year old cars....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moose0211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Joys of 40 year old cars....
    Posted: 21-May-2010 at 11:23AM
Today, I got a new coil since I shorted out my last one, charged the battery and she started right up! Just hearing it run put a smile on my face...for a little while. Until a horrible, loud, screeching noise started coming form the alternator. A little revving and it went away fine. Then, I look under the car and gas is poring out of the fuel pump. Now, i am looking at a new alternator and fuel pump, I am thinking about running a serpentine belt system so I can also redo the power steering pump, and compressor. Oh, the joys of owning a classic car, put some money in and more stuff breaks!
-Lou
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2010 at 12:22PM
another great thing about 40 year old cars... if you havent already put a new gas cap on it, because otherwise everytime you take off you will spill a quart of gas out the dried up seal.
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

GranTorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2010 at 3:44PM
My alternator started to scream too after a couple of trips to the drag strip. I thought it was a bearing but it ended up being a bad set of brushes. I was told by the repair shop to never jump start another car because it can fry a diode in your alternator and cause engine noise over your car stereo speakers. You know that high pitch noise that goes up and down when you rev the engine.

Post Reply Post Reply