The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

429 thunder jet ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 429 thunder jet ??
    Posted: 07-July-2010 at 4:36AM
 Has anyone used coast high performance engine kits? I just bought a 429 thunder jet, still running ! It is a 1971 and has DOVE-C on the heads. I plan on ordering a 521 rotating assembly from this company and having my heads rebuilt localy.  
steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2010 at 3:37PM
 Hello again,  I bought a 1971 429.  It has a DOVE-A  block with DOVE-C heads. The volume I think is 72 - 75cc, is that correct ? I think this is also a real good block to build but I was told not to bore it out and to stroke it to a 501 !?!?.  I want a Mel Gibson road warrior rig, without the 671 on it. Please give me some advice.
72 gts fst bk in 1982 !!
currently building 73 fast back with a dove-a 429.
stuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2010 at 6:47PM
big name company i forget the details nothing negative  iirc
michigan
GranTorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2010 at 4:00AM

Speed-O-Motive is another good company for stroker kits, check out their 508 combo.

steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2010 at 4:53AM
  Hello there gt man,  No I didnt quit last year but it was close. I beleave you have 2 514s for dragging am I correct. If so ,, I heard that I need to find someone who knows more than I about the internal balancing or external on the old blocks. He said the DOVE-A didn't have enough room for some cranks!!!  This is my first build so I am blind.  Steve
                                  PS  The rockers are not like anything Ive seen stock, They don't look like pressed steel , they look like cast or something.And its a 2 bolt main but plenty of room to mill
it for four, but is that necesary?
72 gts fst bk in 1982 !!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2010 at 8:29PM

I talked to some local Ford mud racres and they told me to limit the size of a stroker to 533 or less because the stock blocks are prone to cracking in the front with the bigger strokers over 545. Chances are you won't stress the block like these guys do in the mud but its good to know before you buy a kit. Do you know if the block you have has been bored more than .030 over or not?      

Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2010 at 3:51AM

Rumors like these never cease to amaze me.

The early blocks will accept any 385 series crank, aftermarket or OEM.  Later blocks will not accept early OEM cranks without clearance work, but will accept any stroker crank.

ALL OEM block have similar power handling capability regardless of displacement.  It is best to not exceed 4.300 stroke with an early block for anything but a pure racing application due to it's shorter cylinder bores.  Later D9 blocks have deeper cylinder bores and can easily accept 4.500 stroke combinations.

Early (68-78) 429/460's were internal balance design.  79 and later are external.  Each type has it's own dedicated flexplate and balancer spacer.  Aftermarket stroker cranks are available in both internal and external designs, and you can convert external to internal or visa versa if needed.

The early small chamber heads used standard stud mounted rockers and can be easily converted to an adjustable setup if needed.

For more info, please feel free to visit my website:  http://www.carsbycarl.com/

Edited by Carl - 21-July-2010 at 3:57AM
steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2010 at 10:51AM
 Thank you guys for responding, so I can go ahead with my 514 plan. Carl you seem to offer a good price so I may stay in contact with you and order your kit. I haven't pulled the heads yet to measure the bore, but I did pull the pan to see a thick webbing DOVE-A but 2 bolt not 4 bolt. When I pull the heads I will find the bore size. If I port the DOVE-C heads to a victor jr intake will I be able to get the same performance as cobra jet heads ? And what kind of compresion would I end up with installing a 514 set up ?
                               I feel it is my duty as a 48 year old  kid to finish this in respect to Mel Gibson and all his comments in public.  LIVE FREE OR DIE   
72 gts fst bk in 1982 !!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2010 at 12:09PM
Some of the guys have done some amazing port jobs on their stock heads to get even better performance than stock CJ heads. The biggest power trick you can do is machine your heads for CJ size valves 2.250" Intake / 1.760" Exhaust. Port matching the heads to match your Victor manifold is a lot of work for very little power gain.      
steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2010 at 2:09PM
 Good info !  Thanks again Chris for saving me time and trouble. The vic intake dosn't need to be part of the car. The intake that came with it is a  DOVE- 9425-B. should I use it or get another one ?
72 gts fst bk in 1982 !!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2010 at 2:42PM
The Victor manifold is a big breather designed to mate up with big heads, cam and lots of cubes. Any aluminum intake is better than the stock boat anchor intake, I'd stick with the Victor for sure.   
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2010 at 2:32AM
Originally posted by steve steve wrote:

Thank you guys for responding, so I can go ahead with my 514 plan. Carl you seem to offer a good price so I may stay in contact with you and order your kit. I haven't pulled the heads yet to measure the bore, but I did pull the pan to see a thick webbing DOVE-A but 2 bolt not 4 bolt. When I pull the heads I will find the bore size. If I port the DOVE-C heads to a victor jr intake will I be able to get the same performance as cobra jet heads ? And what kind of compresion would I end up with installing a 514 set up ?
                               I feel it is my duty as a 48 year old  kid to finish this in respect to Mel Gibson and all his comments in public.  LIVE FREE OR DIE   

D0VE and D3VE heads can be ported to exceed stock CJ castings.  Adding bigger valves will help, but only if the port is opened up to work with them.

Port matching the intake isn't going to be worth much.  Way too much work for way too little gain.  The Victor is a fine intake for racing use, but for street I would suggest a Stealth dual plane.

Compression will depend on which pistons you choose.  Lots of options available.  I prefer to set compression based on the rest of the package vs. trying to build and engine around a set compression level.

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2010 at 4:01AM
Steve, I think I have in my Cougar right now what you are trying to build. DOVE-Cs with larger valves and some portwork on them, on a 4.3" stroke crank.. My car is heavier than yours, and I used a Performer intake... No need to go too crazy. You WILL enjoy yourself. Big smile
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2010 at 4:50PM
Quote from "Ford Performance" book:

"A good port and polish job on the base 385 heads, along with installing the larger CJ valves, can give you a 65 horsepower increase over stock. In the unblushing words of the Ford Muscle Parts Book (Supplement Number 2): "These small ports when smoothed out flow better than the big CJ/SCJ sewer pipes." Those are Ford's words, not ours."

steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2010 at 2:10AM
  Great news !!  So I am in the rite starting position for my project. I put alot of work into removing my frame and invested alot of money in the front end. Now I will do the same with the engine. I pulled the heads this morning. The bore is appx, 4 3/8 the stroke is aapx 3 5/8 and the pistons are flatt top.
72 gts fst bk in 1982 !!
steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2010 at 7:00AM
  I dont know if I want to bore this engine.  I can still see the cross hatch lines in all the cylinders. If this is factory machine work this engine has been treated well. So what stroker kit should I use without boring it out ? I think I may want to down size the cubes to preserve the block and just rebuild the heads with the bigger valves and porting.
72 gts fst bk in 1982 !!
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2010 at 8:12AM
Originally posted by steve steve wrote:

I dont know if I want to bore this engine.  I can still see the cross hatch lines in all the cylinders. If this is factory machine work this engine has been treated well. So what stroker kit should I use without boring it out ? I think I may want to down size the cubes to preserve the block and just rebuild the heads with the bigger valves and porting.

If you want to stroke it without boring it, you're going to need a custom kit.  I can have Diamond make std bore pistons for +$50.00, but then you're stuck with either a flat top or whatever dish volume they spec in their pre-engineered designs.

Post Reply Post Reply