The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interchangable Parts.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
stuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interchangable Parts.
    Posted: 18-July-2010 at 4:58AM
 i am metro detroit area as is sterling heights. i think a31 spline C4 is available and was a stock item in some vans etc.i see no reason you cant keep your A/C with a 460 you will need the early brackets for the square [york] compressor. a 69-71 mark III is a great source for 460 365 hp and brackets for a/c. 73 + up uses the large torino axle bearings. i think the 77 mark V frnot spindles and brakes swap with bigger rotors and 5x5" lug pattern [same as police option.also the rear disc axle mark V should swap. rember catalogs like jegs /summit dont list everything available. PERFORMANCE AUTOMOTIVE WAREHOUSE HAS A ALL FORD catalog i like. NPD may be catering to our torino's in a couple more years they said. PEROGIE has torino parts too. your car looks great as a original silver with black interior. i hope your title is right ,does it ...well i guess it is you said #' matching meaning the engine block has a matching partial vin on it. i don't remember 72 being a sport without a sport roof. you have asport interior minus console. i dont remember sport being 302.
michigan
kversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2010 at 4:31AM
if you have to do rear quarter work check this out I just picked up a pair from a guy in IL.   OEM Stuff is always nice

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190418248960&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT
-kevin-
Brown 72 gran torino 351c 2v
Black 73 GTS FB 302
Red 73 GTS FB 351C C6 trans
73 GTS FB Parted
73 torino 4dr, 302, FMX parted
97 F250 crew cab 7.3 diesel

http://kverschtorino.blogspot.com/
theoriginaldjtranz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theoriginaldjtranz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2010 at 7:15PM
Originally posted by stuck stuck wrote:

F BIG FN F just typed up a bunch of sources and links popped back from a link and gone. this wont be as sweet. first charger is mopar chrysler i dont see that working ,but anything possible .keep the manual disc brakes.460 swap get your motor mounts [2piece]from CRITES or Autokrafters [possible backorder ]or BLUE OVAL 6079 used . if you have a C4 trans on that 302 get a 351m400/429-460 bellhousing from QUICKTIME BELLHOUSINGS or a C6.upgrade your rear brakes from CURRIE ENTERPRISES and s.s. brake lines and park brake cables from INLINE TUBE. you have a stock 4 link upgrade rear upper control arms with polyurethane and lower control arms from METCO MOTORSPORTS.tubular front upper arms are currently no longer available ,also early 72's have smaller upper control arm bushings. get your sway bars from addco http://forum.grantorinosport.org/topic2355_post14750.html . TABCO has rear quarter panels and floor pans are available at link below. 72-79 montegos/ t-birds/ lincoln marks are good for interchanges. clutch pedal is available used as pedal set, pwr and manual brake pedals have a different pin location . a fiberglass scoop hood and trunk lid is available and i think front end.http://www.metcomotorsports.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MCA0010 / http://c2cfabrication.com/store/index.php?cPath=2_99&osCsid=lt7kqp4mqdh6knkc9810b6ddj4http://www.usbody.com/ /http://www.inlinetube.com/  and more. 
Thanks a bunch. Now that is what I was looking for. Details.  Where in Michigan? My wife is from Sterling Heights.
1972 Gran Torino
stuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2010 at 6:41PM
F BIG FN F just typed up a bunch of sources and links popped back from a link and gone. this wont be as sweet. first charger is mopar chrysler i dont see that working ,but anything possible .keep the manual disc brakes.460 swap get your motor mounts [2piece]from CRITES or Autokrafters [possible backorder ]or BLUE OVAL 6079 used . if you have a C4 trans on that 302 get a 351m400/429-460 bellhousing from QUICKTIME BELLHOUSINGS or a C6.upgrade your rear brakes from CURRIE ENTERPRISES and s.s. brake lines and park brake cables from INLINE TUBE. you have a stock 4 link upgrade rear upper control arms with polyurethane and lower control arms from METCO MOTORSPORTS.tubular front upper arms are currently no longer available ,also early 72's have smaller upper control arm bushings. get your sway bars from addco http://forum.grantorinosport.org/topic2355_post14750.html . TABCO has rear quarter panels and floor pans are available at link below. 72-79 montegos/ t-birds/ lincoln marks are good for interchanges. clutch pedal is available used as pedal set, pwr and manual brake pedals have a different pin location . a fiberglass scoop hood and trunk lid is available and i think front end.http://www.metcomotorsports.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MCA0010 / http://c2cfabrication.com/store/index.php?cPath=2_99&osCsid=lt7kqp4mqdh6knkc9810b6ddj4http://www.usbody.com/ /http://www.inlinetube.com/  and more. 

Edited by stuck - 17-July-2010 at 6:44PM
michigan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theoriginaldjtranz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2010 at 5:24PM
I am with you.  Besides cost too much to have someone else do it for you. You don't appreciate it as much.
1972 Gran Torino
Ranchero72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2010 at 12:20PM
Real cars are built, people with more money than sense write checks.  Just my .02
'72 Ford Ranchero 500
-351C C4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theoriginaldjtranz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2010 at 9:30AM
Originally posted by Uante Uante wrote:

Nice Car...doesn't look like it has a lot of rust.
I've been under mine the last couple of days and am happy to say it's rust free as I had hoped. Just dirty as hell!
I am excited to get this thing on the roll. but compared to alot of people on this forum They say I have a good car to start with.  After seeing some of them they are right. But the fun is in building it.  You appreciate the finished product so much more.
1972 Gran Torino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theoriginaldjtranz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2010 at 9:27AM
Originally posted by Psquare75 Psquare75 wrote:

<-- has hood section for sale. 
Send me a pick and pm me with price.
1972 Gran Torino
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2010 at 9:00PM
Nice Car...doesn't look like it has a lot of rust.
I've been under mine the last couple of days and am happy to say it's rust free as I had hoped. Just dirty as hell!

Welcome to the Forum...look forward to seeing your progress

'73 Gran Torino Brougham
'63 Econoline Standard Van
- Brent *USAF RET*
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2010 at 5:09PM
<-- has hood section for sale. 
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theoriginaldjtranz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2010 at 4:21PM
It is Factory color. Green all over inside and out. GReenGreenGreen everywhere.Shocked I like the idea of the add to the hood.  I think I can get those new from Classic Auto parts. Cause my hood is perfect. My inlaw said it was a very popular color back in the days. I might keep it that way but my wife says go with a metallic paint job.
1972 Gran Torino
moose0211 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moose0211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2010 at 4:01PM
Originally posted by kversch kversch wrote:

they pop up from time to time.  I think there is one for sale right now on  ebay.      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/72-Ford-Torino-Sport-Hood-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2eae68677eQQitemZ200494573438QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories  sometimes you can find someone with just the scoop part for sale and then use your plain hood  and graft the scoop part in.  I think there is a scoop section forsale in the parts section of the forum right now.

I would also check some local yards, you never know! I love the color of your car, is it factory or aftermarket?
kversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2010 at 3:48PM
they pop up from time to time.  I think there is one for sale right now on  ebay.      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/72-Ford-Torino-Sport-Hood-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2eae68677eQQitemZ200494573438QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories  sometimes you can find someone with just the scoop part for sale and then use your plain hood  and graft the scoop part in.  I think there is a scoop section forsale in the parts section of the forum right now.
-kevin-
Black 73 GTS FB 302
73 GTS FB Parted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theoriginaldjtranz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2010 at 3:32PM
Wow I guess I do have a good car.  You guys are going to be alot of help. I feel alot better about the purchase now. I was worried I was going to have problems so I googled  Ford Gran Torino forums and you guys came up so I figured let me see if I can find some help and you guys did. thanks.  I like your hood. Anyone knows where I can get one?
1972 Gran Torino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theoriginaldjtranz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2010 at 3:29PM
Originally posted by moose0211 moose0211 wrote:

I cant believe you bought a car in such bad condition, I don't know if its savable, look at mine! J/KLOL! Welcome to the board and you have a great car, if you have any questions, I am sure someone on here knows the answers!
-Lou

1972 Gran Torino
moose0211 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moose0211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2010 at 8:00AM
I cant believe you bought a car in such bad condition, I don't know if its savable, look at mine! J/KLOL! Welcome to the board and you have a great car, if you have any questions, I am sure someone on here knows the answers!
-Lou

Edited by moose0211 - 14-July-2010 at 8:01AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theoriginaldjtranz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2010 at 7:20AM
I am going to get my camra and do some close up shots for you guys. as well as some of the bodywork that they tried to do to it and how bad it was done. Looks can be decieving.  I thought the car looked great before I bought it. Then it was time to assess the damage then all was revealed. the inside of the fenders rusted, the left kick panel I feel wind coming inside of the car, the rear deck there is a peace of sheet metal about3 inches wide that goes the lenght ofthe windshield is rusted. around the windows there must of been leaks beause there is silicone along the entire windshield front and back window.  The headliner was put in but the rear molding that goes along the rear window is missing. I will take the photos and show you the cancer. 
1972 Gran Torino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theoriginaldjtranz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2010 at 7:14AM
Originally posted by ilyes ilyes wrote:

you're missing weather stripes on your doors Wink
nice interior
Yeah I know the doors had water in them so I had to drill a few holes at the bottom of the door to get it out.
1972 Gran Torino
Ranchero72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2010 at 6:10AM
Post more pictures of this "rust" I can't see.  Your story is sounding skeptical from what the pictures are telling me LOL.  That car looks like it's in excellent shape for the year.

I can't say that I'm a big fan of the interior colors your cousin used, but you can always put that last on your list to do since it's all new.  Overall great looking car and make sure to keep us posted with the updates!
'72 Ford Ranchero 500
-351C C4
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2010 at 6:01AM
you're missing weather stripes on your doors Wink
nice interior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theoriginaldjtranz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2010 at 6:01AM
Originally posted by cowboyupdjcarl cowboyupdjcarl wrote:

PS... how much did you pay for it?
Where is Davenport FL?
Wanna sell? lol

Davenport is in Orlando
I paid $5000.00
Watch what you wish for everything has a price. lolLOL
1972 Gran Torino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theoriginaldjtranz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2010 at 5:52AM
I appreciate all your help. I am doing alot of the work myself like my previous projects but I will leave the sheet metal work to the pros. Suspension, frame, engine etc I will tackle.  The car is from Georgia so its been in the snow and salt. So the car has alot of rust bubbles under the paint. The roof scares me cause it has afew bubbles on it. I hope I don't have to replce the roof.  I paid 5000.00 for the car from my cousin he had a 72 skylark, 69 camaro, the Torino, and an 1972 El Camino.  He was selling the Torino so I thought it would be a great project car not to mention it is not one you see all the time like camaros and mustangs.  I know now why. The other cars have alot of parts out there from Year one, Classic industries and  OPGI. But Yes your right this car will turn more heads than my fox anyday when it is finished.  You mentioned Montego, Cougars and Tbirds what years.  Here are some pics. My cousin started the interior first I don't know why? but thanks cuz. He didn't do it right I don't know why he didn't do the floors  but at least I dont have to do the seats, carpet,  panels and headliner.  Car has alot of rust.  But overall good project car.
I am getting ready to start the build so I will be keeping you guys posted on the project with up to date photos.   This thing is going to ride like its on rails and a stance that is going to be mean 22" rear and 18" up front.  Should I keep the original engine and transmission or go with a bigger motor. Remember everything is still original.

1972 Gran Torino
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2010 at 4:34PM
true, everytime i take the Torino out, EVERYTIME, someone have to pull down the window at the red light to chat a bit, and nearly everytime, somebody ask me to sell it
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2010 at 4:13PM
We here on the site have almost everything you need!

PS... how much did you pay for it?
Where is Davenport FL?
Wanna sell? lol

Get us pics as to how bad it is.
I bet you will find that it is ALOT better than most of the ones many of us started with!

I agree with the others... the hunt and doing things by hand not just writing checks is a GREAT feeling!

MANY parts and upgrades available for these cars!
You just have to know what to look for.
Rear trail arms are avail. Springs... ALOT of info on those here on the site.
Sway bars... bigger front and rear available from other cars that are direct fits.
Bigger brakes from the mid 70's T-Birds and other full size Fords.
Body panels are out there, floor parts are...well... we end up cutting and shipping good stuff to each other as we find them.

EVERYTHING is available, they are a GREAT car to play with, YES... not a Fox body with a million parts readily avail, but they are out there and THIS car turns more heads than your Fox body ever will!

Welcome to the board and enjoy the build!
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2010 at 3:09PM
Originally posted by occupant occupant wrote:

It's more fun to build a car with your hands than to write a check, anyway. And the feeling you get when you're picking apart a junkyard's back row and you find that piece...THAT PIECE...it's just awesome!

Smile that's it, Occupant told you the way, he's more than right Wink
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2010 at 2:33PM
It's more fun to build a car with your hands than to write a check, anyway. And the feeling you get when you're picking apart a junkyard's back row and you find that piece...THAT PIECE...it's just awesome!
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
kversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2010 at 1:47PM
there is a lot of stuff out there,  you just have to dig deep to find it.  The other guys on here are a good source of info on everything.  like ilyes said look for montego parts,  some  cougar parts also interchange.  These cars arent catalog cars thats for sure 
-kevin-
Black 73 GTS FB 302
73 GTS FB Parted

ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2010 at 1:27PM
Your car is a formal roof, both formal and sport roof came with vinyl, a sport roof is like a fastback Big smile
well, i think there a hole bunch of parts on the web. I know you can't find sheet metal repro except for the trunk.
Look for montego parts, everything is almost the same. For suspension, look at summit and ebay, there's a lot of parts avaible.
Suspension from mustang could fit, but there are not build for the Torino weight Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theoriginaldjtranz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2010 at 1:19PM
Ok I am a newbie and I have a 1972 Gran Torino I think its called a formal roof because I have a vinyl top. but the title says sport. It has a 302 2v original in it. with the original transmission. all numbers match. Now if I would have done a little more research I probably wouldn't have bought the car because I found out that there are no parts available for this car. . A No floors, Chrome trim, new suspension parts, updated brake systems from companies like brembo, hotchkis, wilwood etc. Although it looks good in the Photo it needs alot of work done to it to put back to show quality. I come to find out to redo this car a full off the body resto is in order and I have to find a company that does really good sheet metal work and have them do alot of the sheet metal work themselves.  Ok enough with the babbling, Here is the question.  I also built fox mustangs in the past and I was wondering, Can I interchange with some fabrication suspension parts with some Mustang Fox body parts? or other cars that do have parts available like Chargers, gran marquise, t-birds etc.   You can find some really good parts for these cars to make them run like they are on rails.  You can find breaks, rear suspensions, 4 links, front suspensions, trannies like Tremec etc.  Sheet metal can be found but suspension parts that are up to date like whats on these new cars today are hard to find for these cars.  Any suggestions on interchangeable parts that you have tried to get your car to feel like it is running on rails would help.  I love this car but I don't want it to be a nighmare putting it back together.  Thanks all. 

1972 Gran Torino
 Post Reply Post Reply