The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1978 Ford LTD II S - What are they worth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1978 Ford LTD II S - What are they worth
    Posted: 23-July-2010 at 3:18AM
First off, as a Noob I wanted to say I really like this site! Its about time someone represents the full size 70's cars. I have a 78 LTD II S, 2 door white body. I had the stripes painted on when I had it repainted instead of the decal kit. The NADA classic value makes me want to laugh. They show a clean LTD II S worth about 3k but if it were a Ranchero it would be worth about 10k. However, these cars (LTD II's) seem to be rare enough that I never see them for sale....in good shape. Anyone have a better idea of determining the worth of a car? Trying to figure this out for insurance. I saw a pic of my car somewhere on this site already, I can try to post a pic later.

Thanks!

johnnyride View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnyride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2010 at 6:03AM
Welcome to the board.  I'm not sure about values, but I can report what a couple of cars have sold for recently.  The Red IIS below sold for $9900 last fall on eBay with about 70,000 miles.  I know it well because I wanted to buy it.  And I had no clue it would ever get that high, so, I didn't buy it.  Too rich for me.  It has T Tops which makes it rare .  The white car below is now mine, I just bought it.  It has 43000 miles on it with T Tops and it cost me $3500.  So basically, a car is worth whatever someone is willing to pay.  For insurance, I plan on aiming for a $5000 agreed value.    
78bear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2010 at 6:56AM

Thanks for the reply. Looks like I have the sister to the red one. Minus the T Tops, that must have been a dealer mod? I did'nt even know that was an option. Here are a couple pics of mine..

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2010 at 7:10AM
Wow. You have the car I always wanted. CryBig smile
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnyride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2010 at 7:22AM
Nice car!  Maybe I should put Magnums on mine! What size tires are on your Magnum 500s?
78sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2010 at 12:07PM
Mine's still for sale in the classifieds and on C.L. but some extra parts are starting to sell.
I got the magnum 500 rims+all wheel trim to go with it. I'm taking some new pics soon because I put the big rocker panel mouldings back on and the interior is back together.

On spare parts the extra front grill and headlight trim, and the uncracked blue dash are gone so far.
78 LTD II sport touring edition
Turbo301 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbo301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2010 at 1:53PM
Originally posted by johnnyride johnnyride wrote:

Welcome to the board.  I'm not sure about values, but I can report what a couple of cars have sold for recently.  The Red IIS below sold for $9900 last fall on eBay with about 70,000 miles.  I know it well because I wanted to buy it.  And I had no clue it would ever get that high, so, I didn't buy it.  Too rich for me.  It has T Tops which makes it rare .  The white car below is now mine, I just bought it.  It has 43000 miles on it with T Tops and it cost me $3500.  So basically, a car is worth whatever someone is willing to pay.  For insurance, I plan on aiming for a $5000 agreed value.    

T-tops on a vinyl roof car is definitely unusual, but quite cool! So was that style of T-top actually a legit, factory option, even with the vinyl roof?

I'd think that $10k should get you the absolute best LTD II sport in the world, with all of the right equipment. I love the cars, but they're just not worth big dough.  But again, someone can ask whatever they want for a car, and someone else might just be willing to buy it if it has certain sentimental or other meaning/significance.
1977 Cougar XR7
1980 turbo Trans Am
2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnyride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2010 at 3:13PM
[

[/QUOTE]

T-tops on a vinyl roof car is definitely unusual, but quite cool! So was that style of T-top actually a legit, factory option, even with the vinyl roof?

I'm not sure if they were factory (or if that even existed) or aftermarket.  I'll do more research when I get the car.  If they are factory, I would assume they have the same order code as either a TBird or a Mustang. 
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2010 at 6:04PM
T-tops were a dealer add on i think, or you could walk into your American T-Top vendor and have them installed. 
Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
78sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2010 at 11:32AM
I've dropped the price on my 78' sport touring edition to $1500. Just tossing the info around in here. Enjoy the falltime everybody

Edited by 78sport - 16-September-2010 at 8:37PM
78 LTD II sport touring edition
MXBrougham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXBrougham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2010 at 4:29PM
Unless Ford offered them very late in production (LTD II production actually ended in Jan. 1979 because of poor sales) my 77-79 Buyers guides do not show either a moonroof or T-Tops available on LTD II's.  Of course a moonroof was available on 'Birds all those years. It required you to buy the vinyl roof. In 1977 it was MSRP'd at $888 and the extra cost vinyl roof was $132. In 1978 it was MSRP'd at $ 691 and the extra cost vinyl roof was $ 138. In 1979 the moonroof was $ 691 and the extra cost vinyl roof was $ 132.  That was also the only year of T-Tops in the 'Bird.  It MSRP'd at $ 747 and only required the Rear half of the vinyl roof at $92. So I would assume yours is either aftermarket, or someone grafted on a roof from a Cougar (The 'Bird did not share rooflines with the LTD II's but the Cougar XR-7's did).  What I mean about not sharing rooflines are the windows were different. The roof panels were the same.
Turbo301 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbo301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2010 at 12:50AM
T-tops weren't available on Cougars though, were they?

It's weird that Ford would go to the trouble of tooling up for T-tops in the last year before the car was to be changed (although knowing the American auto industry's penchant for things like that, maybe not :).

I'm surprised they made the vinyl top mandatory with sunroof on the 'birds since you could get a sunroof without a vinyl top on XR-7s (i.e. XR-7s with the sunroof just had their standard half-vinyl roofs).

Cool information, thanks!

1977 Cougar XR7
1980 turbo Trans Am
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
MXBrougham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXBrougham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2010 at 2:01AM
No, T-Tops were not available on Cougars. Only the moonroof. I did not know you did not have to get the vinyl roof on Cougars with the Moonroof, until I just now looked it up. Interesting. I've only seen one XR-7 with a Moonroof (it was rough but only $450), it had the full vinyl roof.  Wish I had bought it.
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2010 at 2:50AM
There were tons of aftermarket sunroof and t-top shops back in the day doing conversions. Hell I have a Hurst ad from 1976 for the aftermarket Hurst kits. 
Paul

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnyride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2010 at 8:34AM
My T Tops were aftermarket...see the pic below...emblem is located in my driver door.  They are American T T Tops from American Hatch of Dallas Texas..

Casper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2010 at 5:32AM
Hello everyone, I'm new to the site. I have owned an LTD II S Since 1978. My wife and I ordered it, and the only change to it was the wheels and tires. We show it as much as we can and really enjoy driving it. It's Black with the red stripes. It is equipped with a 400 engine, bucket seats all the extra's that were available in 1978.

LTDIIS
Turbo301 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbo301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2010 at 7:23AM
Welcome! That sounds like an awesome car! Pics please :D
1977 Cougar XR7
1980 turbo Trans Am
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
antlerfiend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2010 at 7:38AM
Welcome to the site. Go to the welcome mat, post pics and tell us your story.
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2010 at 12:41PM
I always liked the 2 dr LTD II with the stripes.Had a co worker that had one in 1987,white with the orange stripes like in the photo above.I had a 79 Cougar XR7 with sunroof and half vinyl.It was Burgandy Metallic /White top and Burgandy interior.Bought the car in 92 and had it till 99

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnyride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2010 at 11:09PM
Originally posted by Casper Casper wrote:

Hello everyone, I'm new to the site. I have owned an LTD II S Since 1978. My wife and I ordered it, and the only change to it was the wheels and tires. We show it as much as we can and really enjoy driving it. It's Black with the red stripes. It is equipped with a 400 engine, bucket seats all the extra's that were available in 1978.

Welcome to the site...And an original owner too.  Congrats on keeping her that long!!
Casper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-December-2010 at 5:21AM
I told my wife of 35 years, that if things got bad, She will be missed, because My LTD is going nowhere.  She actually laughed
LTDIIS
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2010 at 9:16AM
Is that a 65b code or just an s for sports style.Were in alb. I go buy there every summer on way to north hudson,and adoronick nationals.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnyride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2010 at 9:44AM
Originally posted by fordpower fordpower wrote:

Is that a 65b code or just an s for sports style.Were in alb. I go buy there every summer on way to north hudson,and adoronick nationals.
I'm actually not far from Hudson in Schodack.  And my car is not an S, it's the mid model LTD II
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2010 at 2:02AM
Was hoping you were from north country. North Hudson is near scroon lake.
fordownerforlife28 View Drop Down
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordownerforlife28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2011 at 10:31AM
Hey I own a 1979 Ford LTD ll sport that needs a few body parts does anybody have a website or something that I can find those on?
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2011 at 1:05PM
What parts do you need?
73 GT Sport 429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 GT Sport 429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2011 at 12:54AM
Originally posted by fordownerforlife28 fordownerforlife28 wrote:

Hey I own a 1979 Ford LTD ll sport that needs a few body parts does anybody have a website or something that I can find those on?

You should visit the Welcome Mat and introduce yourself. Car pics are a also welcome
Mark

original owner-93 Lightning
73 Gran Torino Sport 429 (prodigal son)
fordownerforlife28 View Drop Down
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordownerforlife28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2011 at 4:08PM
I need a few body parts like the Grill and a few interior panels
78bear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2011 at 1:57AM
I could use a drivers side kick panel the plastic bumper gaurds.
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2011 at 2:48AM
Does color matter?
Paul
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>