The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

72 tilt front clip Vs Fiberglass Hood

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzillarich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 72 tilt front clip Vs Fiberglass Hood
    Posted: 27-July-2010 at 4:15AM

After watching Two Lane Blacktop for the umpteenth time got a crazy notion!  I want my  72 to have a tilt  clip just like the 55 Chevy,Minus the mail box scoop.  Anyone ever see this mod on a 72-76 ?

I  Think it could be done fairly easy , I would use  the standard hood with a Boss 429 scoop . Welded to the fenders and header  Panel . I was thinking the core support would need to be  modified with some sort of hinge mechanism. The radiator would need to be mounted differently as to allow  for the front end to tilt . Tell me if I am nuts but I would love to be able to get right up into  my motor without the fenders and front nose in my  way.  My current hood is a lightened up all steel pin on. Even with no supports it is still almost too heavy for me to pull off by myself.  Thought about getting a fiberglass  sport hood but they are super expensive and still not as cool in my opinion as the tilt.   Anyone else attempt such a mod? If I keep making good money at my Job  I think this will be in the cards.  Got a whole list of things on my agenda for my 72, 
PAINT W/new stripe kit ,Vintage Pioneer Sound Sysytem ,  New Slicks and Bias Front Runners, Metco LCAs with the ICM brackets,  Edelbrok Performer RPM Nitrous Kit, Roll Bar , Tilt Clip

Want  to Run 10s and look good doing it!!!
72 Gran Torion Sport

472 Hyd 12.98@105mph

466 Roller 11.59@116.5 Sac Raceway 02/28/2011
11.44@114.5 5/13/11

DYNO 452 RWHP 456 RWTQ

Godzillarich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzillarich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2010 at 4:33AM
For the uninitiated here is a clip

This movie is by far my favorite car movie, The plot is so thin and acting so mediocre as to not distract  from whats really going on.  The need for speed is the driving force of this film all other motivations are secondary!!! Rich Evil Smile

72 Gran Torion Sport

472 Hyd 12.98@105mph

11.44@114.5 5/13/11

DYNO 452 RWHP 456 RWTQ

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2010 at 4:39AM
I think that's going to be one heavy SOB to tilt unless you came up with a spring mechanism Ouch.  Keeping inner fenders as well?

BTW I always thought "GTO" had some $ if he had a cassette deck in 1971!
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzillarich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2010 at 5:18AM
No inner fenders and a lightened steel hood ,For my purposes It can be a little flimsy. This is a drag car ,So it can be noisy and shaky. As long as it stays  put when I am running 120 plus the idea is to have it pure and functional  with just enough show as to not be a total embarrassment.    Some folks will probably not appreciate my sensibilities ,but i know that i would love this mod.  Years ago I saw a challenger with a Tilt clip at a Street Machines Show and it was a bit of a turd,but I can say one thing ,I do remember it out of all the shiny show cars ,that one is the only one that made an impression. I like to get my hands on the motor and no better way than a tilt clip.
72 Gran Torion Sport

472 Hyd 12.98@105mph

11.44@114.5 5/13/11

DYNO 452 RWHP 456 RWTQ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzillarich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2010 at 5:29AM

BTW I always thought "GTO" had some $ if he had a cassette deck in 1971!
[/QUOTE]

I am going to get a Pioneer KP-500 I keep getting skunked on Ebay, I sold one during my seller days. and wish i could have kept it.  Here is the last one I missed out on

It will look great up there near the B&M Pro Ratchet, The FM doesn't sound to bad on theses I plan to hook up my Ipod through the antenna jack

72 Gran Torion Sport

472 Hyd 12.98@105mph

11.44@114.5 5/13/11

DYNO 452 RWHP 456 RWTQ

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2010 at 5:25PM
I am looking at a full tilt nose that ALSO maintains the stock opening.
Hood opens and then the whole nose tilts!

We'll see, I think it can be done fairly easy.
Just have ot mount everything to the firewall or on a platform that stay put on the frame rail and not part of the tilt.
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2010 at 7:10AM
Rich, a buddy of mine did a 68-70 Pontiac Lemans.
He used of all things like a tilt mech off a freaking lazyboy recliner.
He sliced the fenders on the back side about even with the wheel well tops {no crazy flare that I recall, unlike our cars}.
Used a pair of pin type hood latches bolted to the sides of the cowl to lock the hood down.
I forget on the radiator. Want to say he basically sliced the center section apart so the radiator didn't move, was bolted to the frame still, but the rest of the nose tilted on modified hinges.

Personally, a lot of work, and you would be adding back weight.

And, I don't know about you, but dud I have been lifting and setting a GTS hood on my car for 9 years now by myself. Just have to be carefull about how you lift.

I have seen guys gut the complete inner fender area, the support structure, inner hood portion, do some lightweight aluminum inner wheel well liners, swiss cheese speed holes on the rad support. etc. Worry about the ounces, and the pounds will fall off.

Of note, one thing I recall on Horsepower TV when they built that black Nova.
Running no liners, and it was costing them because the air was buffeting the air cleaner and causing them some issues. They paneled off the bay and picked up a few tenths.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzillarich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2010 at 7:53AM
If no inner  fenders cost me I am cool with it.  I like the look of an open bay ,its allot easier to work on the motor . Eventually I will run a ram air set up  so air buffeting is not a huge concern .  I don't care if my front end tilt is a graceful event as long as it Works . I have pretty much eliminated all the redundant supports in my grill area and inner fenders I think tying the Hood to the fenders and header  will actually improve the structural integrity from its current state.  Besides the bumper The entire front clip is only secured by the Two Bolts at the core support through the frame, two firewall bolts at each fender , and two bolts from the fender  to the pan. A  Total of  Eight Bolts and the Clip is free.  Seems Lit If the Core Support was mounted On hinges and the back bolts were replace with pins It would work . Unless the nose dose not clear the ground at full tilt. Instead Of Springs how about a pair of Hydraulic rams  Mounted to the frame and the core support. The biggest problem is attaching the bumper to the clip  divorcing it from the frame.  I can picture it in my mind, Too bad my car is 200o miles away and I am a month away from any home time. Rich
72 Gran Torion Sport

472 Hyd 12.98@105mph

11.44@114.5 5/13/11

DYNO 452 RWHP 456 RWTQ

OnTheBottle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2010 at 1:54PM
I've been debating on a fiberglass hood, and looking to see what else is out there. I stumbled across this.

http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/fairlane.html

If you go down to the bottom of the page they list a one piece front end for 72-76 Torino's. No price or pics, but worth checking into.
1973 Gran Torino Sport Q code 351c 4V

1973 Thunderbird 429ci.

1967 Mercury Park Lane Breezeway Q-code 428CJ

1978 Ford LTD Country Squire Wagon 400ci.

1941 Willys Gasser Project
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2010 at 2:29PM
I just sent them an e-mail.

See what I get back.

I am looking at doing the tilt nose on my 72.
Been looking at it for a while now and think it can be done fairly easy.
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
TopGear (TG) View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TopGear (TG) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2010 at 1:47PM
This might be easier to do on an Elite or Couger as they have more frame ahead of the radiator, of course they are heavier in the front and that might pose a problem. I have to say that I like the idea of this but trying to engineer the operation would be a challenge.
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2010 at 2:08PM
Not thinking it is as much a problem as it seems.

I guess we'll see!
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2010 at 4:07PM
I can do it,fabrication & customization is one of my specialties.I did a removable tilt nose on a 69 GTX dragcar with one piece glass nose.Ofcoarse I could do the factory steel nose too.Looking at my 72 GTS I could make the modifications to make a tilt nose and keep the inner fender wells along with opening hinged hood
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2010 at 3:20AM
Originally posted by 73 ProStreetTorino 73 ProStreetTorino wrote:

I can do it,fabrication & customization is one of my specialties.I did a removable tilt nose on a 69 GTX dragcar with one piece glass nose.Ofcoarse I could do the factory steel nose too.Looking at my 72 GTS I could make the modifications to make a tilt nose and keep the inner fender wells along with opening hinged hood

Jeff you can coach me from there!
Got a couple smaller projects that have priority in the garage but then it is ALL TORINO TIME!!!!
Actually 2 of the projects are helping pay for the Torino project!

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2010 at 1:07PM
well when it comes time you can call me as till I get my satalite internet fixed replies are limited on length using my mobile,so I can't go into detailed explanation on how to go about doing it but I have some good ideas for 72 Torino's as they don't have the heavy bumper that sticks out like 73-76 models.Fenders do have to be cut at rear and then strengthened cause they won't clear the doors in one piece.The glass racecar nose worked as they are flexible and you can make them clear when you tilt the nose but steel fenders won't give you that ability
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2010 at 1:37PM
only thing that sucks is because of the body crown in the middle in order for the fender to clear you will need to cut the fender at the back edge at that crown down on an angle to the lower bodyline at the wheel lip,otherwise it will rub the doors.It has to be cut at the point where the body sticks out the most and unfortunatly on our cars it's right in the middle of the body
stuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2010 at 4:11AM
 ford did all that work putting the distributor in the front, now you want to be like a chevyOuch layoff the nitrous manLOL 
michigan
bigblocktisdale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigblocktisdale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2010 at 4:20AM
it defenitly would be easier to work on the engine in the car. and with out inner fenders you have more room to put headers( when making them)
1972 Gran Torino Sport : 10.30 @ 131 mph NA
1991 mustang : 11.38 @ 123 mph sold 91 and bought a 67 mustang
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2010 at 6:06AM
I wouldn't do it myself. If I wanted a clamshell hood I'd buy another Dodge/Plymouth Colt Vista or an E28/E30/E34 BMW.
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
bigblocktisdale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigblocktisdale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2010 at 7:34AM
I have thought about this but I was worried about front end weight and how it would look when it was done. post some pics if you do it.
1972 Gran Torino Sport : 10.30 @ 131 mph NA
1991 mustang : 11.38 @ 123 mph sold 91 and bought a 67 mustang
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2010 at 7:55AM

I HAVE ALWAYS thought about this on my car.

Been thinking this since my first Torino in 1990.

Didn't have the knowledge ability or skills back then... NOW... well maybe just a little bit more skill! lol

I can tell you this IS the direction I want to go!

I need to get the neighbors motor replaced for that cash to start the Torino shuffle!
I have 3 Gran Torino's through out kansas I have to get moved to a central location, bring one here into the garage(AFTER I get the neighbor's truck done). THEN the fun begins... oh yeah AND THE PARTS SELLING BEGINS AS WELL!!

Sell parts, fund project!
Buy, Sell, Trade, Barter, Scrap... whatever it takes!
Stay tuned for THAT thread! lol
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
TopGear (TG) View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TopGear (TG) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2010 at 11:13AM
Sounds exciting Carl.
GranTorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-November-2010 at 3:41PM
Originally posted by Godzillarich Godzillarich wrote:

After watching Two Lane Blacktop for the umpteenth time got a crazy notion!  I want my  72 to have a tilt  clip just like the 55 Chevy,Minus the mail box scoop.  Anyone ever see this mod on a 72-76 ?

Hey Rich,

I found a place in Canada that has a part number listed for a 1 piece tilt fiberglass front clip for a '72 Torino. (bottom of the page)

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2010 at 6:47AM
I have a phone call in to ShowCars to ask about this nose!

PLEASE tell me it is a complete tilt nose for a 72 GRAN Torino.
The catalogue shows 72-76, we all know THAT is not the case unless they say their 73-76 tilt nose piece will fit on the 72 as well. Then YES it will work but NO I DON'T WANT a 73 nose!

We'll see!
OH and there is no price next to it... um... yeah... could be RIDICULOUS $$
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
OnTheBottle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2010 at 6:52AM
I sent them an e-mail the day I posted the link, asking about price, pictures, and if hoods, fender etc. were also available separately. But still no reply. 
1973 Gran Torino Sport Q code 351c 4V

1973 Thunderbird 429ci.

1967 Mercury Park Lane Breezeway Q-code 428CJ

1978 Ford LTD Country Squire Wagon 400ci.

1941 Willys Gasser Project
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2010 at 6:55AM
Andy and I looked real hard at the 73 when we pulled it apart this weekend... IT CAN BE DONE!

Yes the cut line behind the wheel well will have to come from the body line at the front middle of the door.
NOT an issue for me as that would be where I run my paint line. Cut/mate line will be edge of red to white transition. PLENTY of room in that area for brackets/bracing and dual hood release pins!
As for the radiator, make it's own support and bracketry OFF the header panel. Then a modified header panel to hold the nose together that will tilt with the nose.
Weld a hinge on the bottom of the frame just in front of the crossmember, then cut the frame and PRESTO!
The whole header panel, frame horns, bumpers, valance, and nose/grill will tilt down. Looks like with a set of the push bumper guards... they might sit right on the ground as stops when it is tilted... support the whole set up.
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
GranTorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2010 at 5:09PM

Hey Carl, you make it sound easy to do and if your going ahead with the tilt mods it would be very cool to see step by step pictures from start to finish. The fiberglass place in Canada was bought out years ago, they used to be called "Glassworks Fiberglass & Steel Autoparts" and the last time I talked to them the new owner didn't know what they had in stock. 

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2010 at 5:18AM
lost a WHOLE POST!
Bottom line re-write...
Called him, he left me a message back, waiting for a return call.

He can make fiberglass parts out of any steel parts he has!
he no longer has the ability to make a full one piece nose, the company making them for him got rid of the mold!

But he can do, trunk, quarters, doors, fenders, and hoods.

Will let you know when I talk to him again!

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2010 at 5:19AM
IF he can do doors... I can have Lambo doors AND a Tilt hood!

WAY COOL!
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2010 at 5:44AM
Talking on the phone with Rob now!

Here's the link to the thread I started for the fiberglass parts.

Lambo Doors and tilt nose... HERE I COME!

Edited by cowboyupdjcarl - 03-November-2010 at 6:54AM
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>