The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Formal top or fastback??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluecollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Formal top or fastback??
    Posted: 26-August-2010 at 11:18AM
Hey guys, new to this site have been looking around here for awile now as I am now a very proud owner of a 1973 gran torinoBig smile
I have found allot of great info thanks to the site and its members!!! Although I do have what I feel is a really embarassing question Is my car a formal top or fastback???Embarrassed
Believe it or not I have searched and looked at many pics but still not sure...what is the diffence? is a formal top only cars with vinyl tops? As per my vin it came with a 302, built in Oakville and obviously is a 2 door hardtop.  My door sticker was painted over i tried to sand off lightly but still cannot make out trim codes ect has an axle code of 3 ? but cannot find out what that means?  I am in the middle of teardown stage fixing rear floors under rear seat rotten and truck as well.  finally recieved my catalog from dearborn classics and allot of things i need it asks if formal top or fastback ie headliner
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated Beer cheers

P S sorry the pics arent great need bigger garage for this beast

Edited by bluecollar - 26-August-2010 at 12:02PM
Git-R-Done
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2010 at 6:14PM
Welcome to the site.
The car you have is a "formal roof". A starsky & hutch Torino would be a formal roof car.
The sports roof {fastback} is like my car:

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
HbMarine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HbMarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2010 at 8:29PM
i second that, formal roof does not mean its vinyl top or not. good on ya though for fining one with out a vinyl top, mine was and it was a pain to get rid of.
72 gt 400m auto 10.2 @ 70mph in 1/8th

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. - George Orwell"
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2010 at 2:26AM
Not sure if we say WELCOME to someone who has been lurking but... WELCOME TO THE SITE!

Formal and Sport roof are easiest described as Coupe(Formal) and Fastback(Sport)
Yours is the Formal(Coupe) and as you can see Andy's Yellow one is a Sport(Fastback)

It gets confusing when you have a 72 Gran Torino Sport that is a Formal roof. lol
The SPORT refers to an option package then you have to ask what roof.
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
bluecollar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluecollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2010 at 5:27AM
Thanks allot guys for the quick response!! I just one 20 bucks Smile had a bet going with my buddy he thought it was a fastback for sure haha!!  Andrew those are some really nice rides you have!!
Makes sense about the tops and yeah i can see how it could get confusing!! 
Sorry about my phrasing I guess lurking is not the best choice of words...I try and search to figure out questions as I know that on these forums the same ones can always come up and get annoying.
I managed to get this car through a trade for my 1994 bronco straight up had her for 8 years and drove it hard thought time for a change and i found this Gran torino and could not believe the guy would trade me sure it needs work but thats half the fun right!!!!!
Now it has  rebuilt 460Big smile and a c6 trans but im sure it has an 8 inch bum in itUnhappy if im just gonna drive this car as a cruiser and not take to track or do crazy hard launches with it do you guys think that the 8 inch will suffice ?
Thanks again
Matt
Git-R-Done
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2010 at 5:54AM
Thanks Matt. Mine is the yellow and grey GTS. The red GTS belongs to a nice guy names Tom. That Starsky and Hutch car, the gentleman that owns that, I forget his name, he is not on any of the web sites after talking with him at Powertour this year. Sweet car for sure.

With a 460...I would swap the 8" out, and do a 9 inch rear. Any of the 72-76 housings will work, a 74-up will have bigger bearings, but I seem to be fine with my small bearing 9".

Talk to Carl {cowboyupdjcarl}...I know for a fact he has four spare 9" axles from 351 cleveland cars that would be great for a street bruiser like yours. Should be a direct swap over without too much drama. He's in the middle of Kansas, so I don't know how far away he would be from you.
Any rear axle of a 1972 to 1979 intermediate Ford/Mercury car will work, just have to make sure it's off a Torino, Montego, LTD2, Ranchero 72-79, Elite 1974-1976 and Mercury Cougar 1974-1978.
torkair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torkair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2010 at 8:50AM
Your car SHOULD have a 9" under it as the 8" rears were phased out mid production year for the 72 models.  Both of my 72 Gran Torinos are the Formal roof "sport", no clue what the real difference is but the early production 72 that I have has the 8" while the late production one has the 9", both cars came from the factory with 302 motors.
72 Gran Torino "sport"- in progress

73 Ranchero GT- Q code-460/C6/3.25 open rear
HbMarine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HbMarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2010 at 9:47AM
I thought the 9'' was only standard for the 400m/429 cars
72 gt 400m auto 10.2 @ 70mph in 1/8th

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. - George Orwell"
moose0211 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moose0211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2010 at 9:58AM
Nope it was standard on most gran torinos. The 8 inch came on a few early build ones but mine is a 9/71 build and has a 9 inch. 
bluecollar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluecollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2010 at 10:08AM
To be honest when i went to look at the car i was sure it was a 9 inch....but upon further inspection and some research(i thought because it had the removable third member it was a 9 for sure) i did the check to see if a deep socket would fit on the lower nuts and it fits no problem??  removed the tag and it says
wdy  G5  3G0
2  79  8  824A
im interpreting this as an 8 inch with 279 gear ratio not positive though
Would be fantastic if someone could tell me for sure??
Andrew I would take your advise and talk to cowboy carl about the ones he has for sale but im in Ontario, Canada so im sure the shipping would be killer
Thanks again
Git-R-Done
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2010 at 11:23AM
THREAD HI-JACK WARNING!!

Ok, I am going to ask a dumb question now!
The 8 and 9 " housings...
Are the Housing and axles the same with just a different pumpkin/center section?
Or is the WHOLE thing different?

Another question... Andy, Small or large bearing? PLEASE explain!
I am putting one of these 9" rears in the race car... rather put the BEST one I can.
Also... What gears were offered in 72 and with what motor/tranny combo?

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2010 at 2:38PM
Housings are different as well as axles. Can't put a 9" center in an 8" housing
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

"Never complain Never explain" Henry Ford
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2010 at 3:16PM
Originally posted by Torinogts73c Torinogts73c wrote:

Housings are different as well as axles. Can't put a 9" center in an 8" housing
TA DA!
Well there you have it!

the 8" will just have the brakes stripped and then take it to the scrap yard for scrap metal money!
OR maybe I can use it for a really cool bar stool!
I am using old BAD mags for the base to some hot rod bar stools for the outside bar at the house!
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2010 at 5:21PM
I would not totally scrap that 8", some street rod guys may still want it. Hack off the 4 link brackets, weld on spring perches, and good basic hot rod axle.

Anyways, on our cars, I want to say around late 73 going into 1974, they went to the large axle bearings.
Bigger, stronger, etc, etc.
I have my 1976 Housing I plan on swapping to, but that's another winter project, if I ever manage to toast my small bearing unit. Then the N case carrier is getting pulled for rebuild with 1350 u joints, instead of the 1310's it has now. I sware my GTS is a freak of nature. SORRY FOR THE HIJACK .

Anyways, carry on!

As far as the 8 vs 9 inch rear, the 9 inch refers to the size of the ring gear {someone correct me if I am wrong here}.
Every single Torino and Elite I have owned, all 351C cars, some 351w, 460, have had 9" axles.
The blue 72 4 door, was a 9", and it was a 351c 2 barrel engine.

Post Reply Post Reply