The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Tools & Shop Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Home/shop tools

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Home/shop tools
    Posted: 18-September-2010 at 5:15AM
A thread to show shop and other tools you have or found.

I have spent alot of time looking at different tool sites comparing all sorts of shop tools.
Making sure the stuff will do the job.
Sometimes spending $20-100 MORE will save alot of money in the long run.
It is all up to what you want/need, can fit, can afford.
Sometimes cheaper is NOT cheaper after shipping and other costs etc.

When I search E-bay, I always set the listing to sort in lowest price + shipping order.
helps see what reality looks like.

I look for tools that will get me many years of use as when I retire in a couple years I will doing alot of custom/hot rod work.
Looking to open a shop when/where I retire so I need it to work in that role as well as just a weekend hobby guy. At least get me started til I find I need bigger, better or it breaks!

Edited by cowboyupdjcarl - 18-September-2010 at 5:39AM
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2010 at 5:20AM
I bought the following welder off E-Bay for $399 with free shipping.

We are GTS-Welco, A Praxair Joint Venture. With 700 Employees, 800,000 cylinders and 46 locations in the U.S. we are a fast growing and dynamic organization that provide customers with specialty, medical and industrial gases, gas equipment, welding supplies and cost saving technical services.

MIG140 replaces our very popular MIG135 model!

Combination Wire Feeder/MIG and Flux-Cored Welder Package
Spool Gun Ready!
Value List Price: $455.00 (USD)

model# 100140-1

Includes:
  • MIG 140 Welder
  • MIG Welder Cart
  • Welder Cover
  • Black Series 100 auto darkening welding helmet
  • Leather Welding Gloves
  • Welding Pliers

Advantage RealGear™

This user-friendly wire feeder/welder from RealGearUSA™ is ready to help you make short work of many "around the home" jobs, hobby projects, autobody repairs or farm chores!

The MIG140 handles MIG welds on a wide range of materials including mild steel, stainless steel and aluminum. Flux-cored welds on mild steel are a breeze. Achieve outstanding performance on thin sheet metal to medium plate by fine-tuning the arc using the continuous adjustment output voltage and wire feed speed controls.

The MIG140 also boasts leading output and arc performance in the 115V machine class. To top it off, we've made it easy to get started – virtually everything you need to MIG weld mild steel is included in one convenient package! Just add shielding gas.

That's right, just like machines costing over $600, this machine has CONTINUOUS adjustment of the Voltage (HEAT) control for the weld, not a tap (CLICKER) switch adjustment that can leave you wanting for more!

Welder Features & Benefits:

Ready To Weld! Includes mild steel MIG wire and adjustable gas regulator and hose kit. Just add shielding gas (sold separately)

• CONTINUOUS full-range adjustment of voltage and wire feed speed allows for fine-tuning of the arc and precise control of heat input.

Spool Gun Ready, Want to weld aluminum? You now have two choices for adding a spoolgun:
1. Lincoln 100SG Spoolgun (Which we have in our ebay store) No adapter kits necessary. Just "Plug and Play"
2. Our very own RealGear Spoolgun (Also available in our ebay store) This high quality plug and play alternative is less expensive than other major brands yet provides exceptional performance and reliability.
• Welds 24 gauge through 5/16" mild steel plate.

• Designed to feed .023-.030" (0.6-0.8mm) diameter mild and stainless steel MIG wire and .030-.035" (0.8-0.9mm) diameter flux-cored wire.

• Settings reference chart conveniently located inside wire feed section door makes it easy to set the machine.

• Adjustable brake spindle accommodates both 8" (200mm) diameter and 4" (100mm) diameter spools of wire.

• Engineered and built for dependable service and long life expectancy exclusively for RealGear USA™.

• "Quick Release" idle pressure arm easily adjusts wire tension for positive wire feeding.

• High torque low-RPM drive motor provides extra long life and quiet operation.

• Electronic and thermostatic protection from current overload and excessive temperatures.

• Built-in "burnback" function insures proper wire stickout after each weld with no sticking in the weld puddle.

• Gun trigger safety feature keeps welding wire electrically "cold" until trigger is pressed.

Welder Warranty:
Limited 1 year/90 day warranty- One (1) Year, from the date of purchase, that the transformer and rectifiers are free of defects in material and workmanship. Ninety (90) Days, from the date of purchase, that the gun, liner, wire feed mechanism, welding clamps, electrode holder, cables and accessories packaged with the welder are free of defects in material and workmanship. This does not apply to consumable parts, tips, nozzles and welding wire.

Power Requirements:
115volts / 60 hertz , Single Phase, 20amp Ac input current

Specifications:
Weight: 54 lbs. (24.5 kgs. )
Dimensions (in) L x W x H : 16 x 9.6 x 14.5
Dimensions (mm) L x W x H : 408 x 244 x 367
Duty Cycle Rating: 20% at 90amps / 18volts

Process:
MIG & Flux-Cored

Welder Includes:

• 8'-10" MIG gun and cable assembly with .023/.025"
    contact tip & gas nozzle
  • 9'-7" work cable and work clamp
  • 6 ft input power cord with NEMA Type 5-15P plug for connection to standard 115 volt receptacles
  • Factory installed gas solenoid valve for MIG welding
  • Adjustable gas regulator and hose for Argon and Argon-carbon dioxide blended gases. Regulator requires an adapter (sold separately) for use with CO2 gas cylinders
  • 2 lb. spool .023" (.6mm) "KC-28 Mag Welding" solid mild steel MIG wire
  • .030" contact tip
  • .035" contact tip
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2010 at 5:22AM

I have a floor drill press with laser centering and a light.

Will post info on that in this post later.
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2010 at 5:28AM
Looking at blast cabinets.
Found this to be the best option.

Takes advantage of the whole space, not a small side door.

This cabinet is readily available from almost every tool and other type sites.
Same picture and description everywhere for the same price.
Shipping and other couple $'s here and there make the deal different here and there.

Edited by cowboyupdjcarl - 18-September-2010 at 5:34AM
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2010 at 5:37AM
Priced and watching a floor model shop press...

A bunch of other option in this area, A-Frame, bench mount, and different tonnage or sizes as well.
so pay attention to what you are REALLY getting.

This one should do ANYTHING a hot rodder would need to do.

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2010 at 5:43PM

Window crank / clip removal tool , but a screwdriver slipped delicately in will do the same  http://www.pro-lok.com/p-251-lt410-clip-zip-door-panel-tool.aspx

This I found was very good for aligning the front end panels and door alignment

http://www.multipick-service.com/htdocs/en/werkzeug/kfz/luftkissen.php

1973 Q code sports roof
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2010 at 3:36AM
I think the pirate 4x4 forum has a great thread on "What is actually GOOD at Harbor Freight?" Turns out, quite a bit.

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2010 at 11:56PM
ok Tim the Tool man,I meen Carl.Find me a good deal under $500 for a 4ft box/pan sheetmetal bender.The tool that any hotrod builder needs to bend and form sheetmetal for patches or custom panels.I need one for my shop so I can build custom rollpans on a 67 Dodge Coronet to eliminate the chrome bumpers.Plus they work great for making patch panels such as lower door bottoms where you need a 120 degree bent lip to fold over the inside of the door.
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2010 at 2:08AM
just a quick look and found this...

Could make a sawhorse type set up to mount it on.
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2010 at 3:58AM
look only to be a bender not able to make boxes as box/pan benders have removeable fingers for making corner folds to make a box then just weld the seams.I need to build a sheetmetal box trunk floor for the fuel cell on the Dodge.Don't want fuel cell visable from under car and we cut out the entire trunk floor and making all new trunk floor.box/pan break bender is the only type that will work for my needs.
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2010 at 5:59AM
Carl - how did that MIG welder turn out?
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2010 at 6:18AM
sitting under the bench with the tank of gas ready to go to town on the body!

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2010 at 6:19AM
I am not a sheet metal worker so asking me to find stuff for that...

no idea! lol
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2010 at 9:30AM
finally found a gm car the trusted screw driver would not work. Bought one of those tools for 5.95 at the paint store. It works like so fast I did not know it was off. Should have had one 40 yr ago
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2010 at 3:41PM
Originally posted by fordpower fordpower wrote:

finally found a gm car the trusted screw driver would not work. Bought one of those tools for 5.95 at the paint store. It works like so fast I did not know it was off. Should have had one 40 yr ago
????
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-December-2010 at 11:03AM
Originally posted by cowboyupdjcarl cowboyupdjcarl wrote:

Originally posted by fordpower fordpower wrote:

????

x2 ????
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-December-2010 at 2:02PM
He's talking about the window crank remover.
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2010 at 9:12AM
thanks for ans I did not know what the??? ment.It is so easy when the weather calms down I might go to the junk yard just to remove window cranks
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2011 at 4:04PM
Couple new toys for the garage!!!

Engine Cradle off E-Bay.
$36.99 buy it now, FREE SHIPPING!

(1) Ford Engine Cradle

This listing is for (1) Ford Engine Cradle

Our Product Ships Quick!!

Description

Heavy duty steel construction, this cradle has a blue powder-coated finish to resist rust and corrosion. 1000lbs loading capacity. Use it to store, transport, and work on engines while they are out of the car. Pull your engine out, lower it onto this engine cradle, and bolt it on securely. It rolls on four 3-inch swivel rubber casters that swivel at each corner for maximum maneuverability. Low design for maximum stability when working on motors. These engine holders are universal and come with bolt holes for mounting most car engines or light truck engines. 18"x26"x16"

This shipping includes the 48 continental US.
Thanks for bidding and good luck. If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail at battery_geek@yahoo.com

Here it is with the 5.0 already mounted on it...

Also
a 1,000lb Engine stand.
$44.95 with $15 shipping, O-Reilly's wants $93 for the same one in blue with the AC-Delco name on it.
(1) 1000lb Engine Stand

This listing is for (1) 1000lb Engine Stand

Our Product Ships Quick!!

Description

This heavy duty stand lets you fully service your engine out of the vehicle.
  • Sturdy design prevents this engine stand from tipping while holding the block
  • Four adjustable arms for easy engine block mounting
  • Lever handle for trouble-free 360° engine rotation on the stand

Weight capacity:1000 lbs.
Face plate dimensions:10-3/16" W x 6" H x 7/16" thick
Overall dimensions: 31" x 36" x 34-3/4"

This shipping includes the 48 continental US.
Thanks for bidding and good luck. If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail at battery_geek@yahoo.com

A little short but hey it works and will help greatly when I build this motor for the TBird!

YAHOO!!!!!!
More good stuff to make my garage a serious MAN CAVE!

Edited by cowboyupdjcarl - 15-February-2011 at 4:25PM
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2011 at 4:08PM
more stuff I picked up...

Spot Weld Cutter Drill Bits HSS 6) 3/8 inch USA

Item condition: New
Ended: Dec 31, 201005:06:22 PST
Price: US $40.00
Shipping:
FREE Standard Shipping
Seller:
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2011 at 4:12PM
And more...

50 Sizes 5 piece SET MULTIPLE HOLE STEP DRILL BIT
BRAND NEW * IN STOCK * Available For Immediate Shipping

Click Small Images to Enlarge
Click Small Images to Enlarge

Top Quality, Long lasting STEP DRILL Bit Set - 50 HOLE SIZES with ONLY 5 BITS!

This set replaces 50 individual drill bits. Two-flute design gives you faster, smoother cutting. 3-sided (TRI-FLAT) shank will not slip in your drill's chuck. Cobalt coated for smoother cooler cutting.

Sizes:

• #1: 3/16" to 1/2" 6 Steps (3/16'', 1/4'', 5/16", 3/8'', 7/16'', 1/2'')
  • #2: 1/8" to 1/2" 13 Steps (1/8", 5/32", 3/16'', 7/32", 1/4'', 9/32", 5/16", 11/32", 3/8'', 13/32", 7/16'', 15/32" , 1/2'')
  • #3: 1/4" to 3/4'' 9 Steps (1/4'', 5/16", 3/8", 7/16", 1/2", 9/16", 5/8", 11/16", 3/4")
  • #4: 1/4" to 1-3/8"' 10 Steps (1/4'', 3/8", 1/2", 5/8", 3/4", 7/8", 1", 1-1/8", 1-1/4", 1-3/8")
  • #5: 3/16" to 7/8" 12 Steps (1/4'', 5/16", 3/8", 7/16", 1/2", 9/16", 5/8", 11/16", 3/4", 13/16", 7/8")

Features:

• SELF STARTING - No need for a pilot hole.
  • Cobalt coated to reduce friction and run cooler
  • Large bit has 3-sided shank and small bits have hex shank to prevent slip in drill chuck
  • Automatically deburrs holes as you drill
  • Long Life True M2 high speed steel
  • Includes protective padded aluminum case

Check our page for Deal of The Week
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2011 at 5:25PM
Steering wheel pulley puller/installer set OTC 4530 (about $37, Amazon.com)

Considering it cost me about $25 at Grumpy the Machinist machine shop and a trip to downtown Renton (about 20 minutes each way), the $37 I spent was well worth it. Changing a power steering pump pulley is literally a 15 minute job. It's nuts.

Camshaft Bearing tool. Lisle P/N 18000. If you need to do camshaft bearings, this USA made kit will make it really easy. It got me out of a pinch with my 71 F-250 360 engine number one cam bearing. At $137 from Amazon, a good investment if you need a cam bearing tool:

Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2011 at 3:21PM
Just bought a small parts cleaner and small media blast cabinet.

For the small stuff or few things I need to do here and there these will be fine for projects I have going.

Parts washer...

Media blast cabinet...

Now, where do I get the parts washer fluid? Need a 5 gallon bucket or a few single gallons.
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2011 at 4:52PM
I just use Varsol, or the cheapest paint thinner I can find.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2011 at 2:26AM
Mineral Spirits in my 20 gal, on the inside of the lid it says to only use low volatile fluids such as Coal Oil or Diesel

Edited by Rockatansky - 11-April-2011 at 2:27AM
72 GT Ute

fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2011 at 6:01AM
If anyone has yellow head light lens,I just tried crest toothpaste and a course scrob pad.Couldnot remember what to finish with so I usrd syl spray,they act look prity good .
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2011 at 9:25AM
Carl those spotweld drillbits are a waste of money cause they get dull and don't cut anymore.Blair makes spotweld cutters that have replaceable cutter bits.They have an arbor with a spring loaded pilot point and screw on cutters.They have an inexpensive one with 3/8 double sided cutter blades or you can opt for the Blair Rotobroach kit that has assorted size cutters that are more heavy duty then the regular 3/8 double sided cutter.The Rotobroach uses a different arbor so the two styles will not interchange but both styles off 3pk replacement cutters that can be replaced when they get dull or broken teeth unlike the solid shank cutter that requires you to replace the whole thing when it gets dull
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2011 at 2:20AM
I tore up 2 of the spot weld bits you are talking about Jeff and only got 2 welds cut.
THAT was when I decided to buy the bits you see in the pics.

Probably doing something wrong but oh well.
Like I have said in the past... I AM NOT A BODY MAN! lol
I actually hate the body work side of the house.
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2011 at 3:43AM
I use the bits that Jeff is talking about for spot welds. 

They take some finesse to use (I.E. you can't hold your body weight over the drill, lol). Let the bit do the work and go slow. 

Interesting, as my eyes kinda glaze over when I have a lot of mechanical work to do (like the multiple engine swap bonanza I have going on right now. Ugh)
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
 Post Reply Post Reply