The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - INFO: 1972-1979 Body Insulator Bushings - UPDATED
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

INFO: 1972-1979 Body Insulator Bushings - UPDATED

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2018 at 1:42PM
the sleeve and washers also set the overall height of the body mount against the others, they either have to be the same as original .... or different by the same amount or you'll pull the body out of shape with the mounts
72 GT Ute

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2018 at 1:07PM
the sleeve is the limiting factor for the bushing crush to keep it snug without squashing it too much it's purpose is to isolated the transfer of vibration and shock from the road
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2018 at 10:00AM
Afraid I'm back with another question.  My original metal sleeves in the bushings measure 1 5/8", the new sleeves measure 1 7/8".  If I cut the new ones down to 1 1/4"  will they not be too short?  Or do I cut the new ones down 1/4" to equal the height of the old one?  I am getting ready to do the cutting, just want to make sure I am getting the right length.  thanks - dave
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2018 at 5:17AM
The crown Vic mounts I have are not splined. The old bolts fit the mounts just fine.
Jim

1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2018 at 2:08AM
Thanks for all the info, it is definitely helpful.  John, the cart looks like what I was thinking about, the body is pretty much ready and is in primer but want to store it in a car trailer until I finish the frame.  Also just curious on this, I just got my body bushings and the bolts, which I understand are smaller than the original bolts, are splined towards the head of the bolt preventing them from coming out of the bushing.  I will be tapping them out and enlarging the hole to fit the old bolts but just wondered if this is how they normally come.  thanks again - dave

Edited by 1973gts - 23-May-2018 at 2:12AM
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2018 at 3:00PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2018 at 2:59PM
Originally posted by 1973gts 1973gts wrote:

I am awaiting the arrival of my body mount bushings and just have a couple of questions.  The sleeves have to be cut to 1 1/4", is that the sleeve height or total height of the piece?  Also I would like to replace all of the bolts, what size has been used.  I also noticed in the Ford service manual the torque spec on the bolts is 20-30 ft/lbs, will that be enough to draw the bushing down to the proper height?  I was thinking to start there, let the body settle and if need be torque more.  And one last thing, my body is currently at the painters and the frame will not be ready before he is done, has anyone built a body trolley for storage purposes?  I am going to be building one but if someone else has already I would appreciate any suggestions on designs.   thanks  -  dave
the sleeve is what limits the crush of the bushings Wink
 as far as a cart for the body... this is what i threw together for mine (doesn't really need to be 2' tall)

JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2018 at 7:56AM
Originally posted by 1973gts 1973gts wrote:

The sleeves have to be cut to 1 1/4", is that the sleeve height or total height of the piece?  Also I would like to replace all of the bolts, what size has been used.  I also noticed in the Ford service manual the torque spec on the bolts is 20-30 ft/lbs, will that be enough to draw the bushing down   thanks  -  dave

If you measure your original bushing sleeve you'll see its 1-1/4. You want the new sleeve to match the old. If you can reuse your old bolts do that. If you need longer just get the same size as original just a little longer. As far as torque, you are only "smashing" a rubber bushing. I'm sure it would take less than 30 lbs even though 30 lbs isn't much, but in any case you can use locktite and just tighten up until they are tight. They will only tighten so far.
Jim

73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2018 at 7:46AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

i would check the length of the sleeves on each body maount as you remove them, they may be / i think there are different lengths for different locations

the factory manual may have the info in print

They are all the same length except for the core support.
Jim

Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2018 at 7:13AM
i would check the length of the sleeves on each body maount as you remove them, they may be / i think there are different lengths for different locations

the factory manual may have the info in print

Edited by Rockatansky - 22-May-2018 at 7:13AM
72 GT Ute

1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2018 at 3:38AM
I am awaiting the arrival of my body mount bushings and just have a couple of questions.  The sleeves have to be cut to 1 1/4", is that the sleeve height or total height of the piece?  Also I would like to replace all of the bolts, what size has been used.  I also noticed in the Ford service manual the torque spec on the bolts is 20-30 ft/lbs, will that be enough to draw the bushing down to the proper height?  I was thinking to start there, let the body settle and if need be torque more.  And one last thing, my body is currently at the painters and the frame will not be ready before he is done, has anyone built a body trolley for storage purposes?  I am going to be building one but if someone else has already I would appreciate any suggestions on designs.   thanks  -  dave
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
abrewsterarchitect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abrewsterarchitect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2017 at 3:58AM
Just a quick pointer if anyone is interested, i bought the crown vic bushings, and replaced as instructed by the very helpful posts in this thread. However while tightening the bolts ive discovered that they are actually a little thinner and i ended up replacing every single one with my old bolts....
BackInBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2017 at 6:02AM
Yup...I used thread locker also....forgot to mention that.   I used the blue thread locker.
-John
1973 GTS
phordnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phordnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2017 at 5:19AM
Thanks! I guess I'll go with 45 ft lbs and thread locker.

Allen
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2017 at 9:53AM
Originally posted by 73GTS 73GTS wrote:

Make sure to use good thread locker.

+1

When I had my 75 apart I reused the existing bushings and nuts. Mistake because now I noticed the nuts have loosened up to the point of falling off. I need to tear it all apart and put the proper new bushings in the core support mounting anyway, but I'll be using thread locker or a comparable nyloc nut to ensure it stays secured.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2017 at 8:09AM
Make sure to use good thread locker.
Jim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2017 at 8:04AM
I used a typical torque spec for 7/16" bolts.  I think it was 45 or 55 lbs.   Can't remember...sorry maybe someone will have the official spec.
-John
1973 GTS
phordnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phordnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2017 at 7:28AM
Anybody know the torque spec for the body mounts? Searched here and the internet...can't find the spec.

Allen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2017 at 2:58AM
They are metric...can't use them.

I had to buy new bolts from McMaster-Carr.  I think they were 7/16" and I used the phosphate (black) grade 8 bolts.

-John
1973 GTS
ZCowher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZCowher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2017 at 2:51AM
Can I use the new bolts that came with the bushings? Or are they a metric thread or something goofy like that.
ZC
2016 F-150 xl 2.7 liter
73 Gran Torino Formal roof, Ten damn years, and its almost there.
ZCowher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZCowher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2017 at 3:29PM
Partial update just bought a body mount kit for an 08 crown vic dorman part number 924-327 for about $250.
ZC
2016 F-150 xl 2.7 liter
73 Gran Torino Formal roof, Ten damn years, and its almost there.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2017 at 5:07PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2017 at 5:05PM
bill, i'm not sure on the 72, some guys said they used these and they fit fine, someone else said their 72 had smaller holes in the frame??? IDK but they worked great on my 74! i added a 1/8" thick flat washer welded over the hole in the frame to get the correct thickness and to reinforce the thin area from rust and wear of the original bushings.

JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
bdaugette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdaugette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2017 at 3:30PM
So this fits my 72 radiator core support?
Bill Daugette
72 GTS 351C 4V
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2017 at 5:12PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

sal, you just doing the two core support bushings?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310245534809?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2648
Energy-Suspension-9-4102R-Mounts-Isolators-Soft-Bushing-70A-Durometer

you only need one set for the core support!

the recommended plate thickness is your frame in the diagram, the core support sits on top of washer in the diagram

Yeah, just gathering stuff to re-do the car from the firewall forward right now. I was a little confused because people kept saying you needed 4 kits to do the core support with a bushing on top, or just 2 kits to do the core support with no extra top bushing. Maybe the kits were sold per side back then? 
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2017 at 4:27PM
sal, you just doing the two core support bushings?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310245534809?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2648
Energy-Suspension-9-4102R-Mounts-Isolators-Soft-Bushing-70A-Durometer

you only need one set for the core support!

the recommended plate thickness is your frame in the diagram, the core support sits on top of washer in the diagram

Edited by californiajohnny - 17-January-2017 at 4:31PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2017 at 3:04PM
Hey guys. I just read through all this, as I'd like to order up my radiator bushing stuff. 

I'm a little confused though....  

It says here to order 4 Energy Suspension kits if you want to put the extra bushing on top of the support, or two kits if you want to run the metal washer on top.

But I'm looking at that part number on ebay, and it shows that the kit comes with both sides (4 total bushings and 2 sleeves)? So if I am going to use a metal washer on top, don't I only need ONE kit? 
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
abrewsterarchitect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abrewsterarchitect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2016 at 6:39AM
k Guys, ready to post the stuff from my 1973 ranchero 500 restomod. We just pulled off the cabin, and discovered some rotted out bushings. I will post pics next.

mellinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2016 at 1:11PM

In needing body mounts for a 72 Gran Torino Coupe I can confirm what “73GTS” indicated “speculated” in his postings on 9/22/2008. I have used 2005 Crown Vic upper and lowers (UPPER MOUNT)6W1Z-5400396-A AND (LOWER) 6W1Z-5C155-AA;  Rock Auto /Doorman has one of those cheaper, then cut the sleeve down to 1 ¼”  and use the rubber as is.  Drive for a couple months then re-tighten. They mounted well, and there are 12 upper and lowers total. The most difficult replacements are the middle sections.  The hood does shake a bit still, but this could be due to needing appropriate fender hardware (bolts let me know if you can get some).  Otherwise the car is solid now.   Original body mounts were completely corroded, and rusted which made for a freaky drive.

I also replaced the springs with Eaton Detroit Springs heavy duty in back 0” reduction, and 1” lower in front, of which I took off another quarter round after receiving springs and seeing them on car.  It also takes some time for new springs to settle in and the front droped more after the below pic was taken; these cars must have shipped with a high front ends however.  Crown Vic Cop Shocks work well, steering gears from Red Head Steering Gears with a reduction gears work great and all new linkage from PST with large front sway bar. I haven’t done the rear swat bar yet, and have used all rubber (but I get it regarding polyurethane if that's your thing). 

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy308/Michael_Henry_Mellinger/Stance_zps8vulhllv.jpg

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy308/Michael_Henry_Mellinger/New%20Bushings_zpsq2aibn74.jpg

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy308/Michael_Henry_Mellinger/New%20Bushings%202_zpsf631wp5w.jpg

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy308/Michael_Henry_Mellinger/Steering%20Gears_zpsm054okd7.jpg

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy308/Michael_Henry_Mellinger/Rear%20Springs%20Shocks_zpsianj45gs.jpg

Edited by mellinger - 20-April-2016 at 3:32AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2016 at 12:42AM
Ford has a reputation for making many changes mid-year where Chevy typically does it on each model year.

I installed the bushings but I'm noticing that they appear to be "crushing" quite a bit.   The old bushing had an installed height of around 7/8".  These are softer and crushing to an installed height of 5/8 to 6/8.  Anyone else see this?   Maybe the Gran Torino body is heavier than the Crown Vic?

Over time will they crush and relax more?

Edit:  I made a mistake measuring...it looks like it settled on 7/8" installed height.   The body wasnt sitting straight.  Did some jacking and shifting now looks ok.   The only question would be does it crush more over time...not sure if anyone who installed this had double checked after a year or two...

Edited by BackInBlack - 06-February-2016 at 11:04AM
-John
1973 GTS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>