The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - INFO: 1972-1979 Body Insulator Bushings - UPDATED
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

INFO: 1972-1979 Body Insulator Bushings - UPDATED

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inenidok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2011 at 3:26PM
mine was setup like that in solid and solid rubber top of frame and inside frame, but all mine is rotted away and i need a core support and correct setup of the supprt so i can get my front clip back on after being off for a 1 and half. (just hope i can find all the bolts and parts since our move ugh)
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2011 at 4:58PM
Paul thanks for the pics!!!

That is exactly the problem we 72 and other early year cars have a the SAME set up only the Solid spacers you have are rubber on our cars and THAT lets the front clip move around ALOT!

With the pics from Paul it tells me our idea is on track!!!
Replace the core support rubber bushings with solid metal washers/spacers and then almost any body support bushing will work.
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2011 at 5:29PM
I can see how that would flop around like a fish out of water, lol. This is fairly tight. If you guys have an extra body bushing kicking around, it might be worth using it, and a stack of washers, just for now, to try it. 

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Grande Verde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grande Verde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2011 at 4:12AM
I think it is important to minimize the number of components in the stack up. The more washers, spacers and bushings you use the more chance you will have for the front to move around. I think also keeping everything the same diameter will help as well. If you have a 2.5 dia bushing and then a metal spacer on top of it that is only 1.5 dia its going to increase the leverage and make it easier for movement to occur. Height is also an issue these thick spacers just add more leverage, the less bolt length we have the better we will be. I think the max stack up should be

nut
washer (thin)
rad support
washer (thin)
bushing
frame
bushing
washer (thin)
bolt

Having a metal sleeve through the bushings is important as well

Edited by Grande Verde - 29-April-2011 at 4:28AM
Harry
72 GTS 351W
02 F-350 7.3 PSD
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2011 at 1:56PM
OK.
Paul, no offense taken man. What I did, was plan incorrect, I'll freely admit I screwed up.
See what happens when you don't take details of your car, and leave it apart for like 6 years?

And, back to the bushing:
energy suspension part # 9-4102 universal body mount kit for radiator support. 
Might need some modification = die grinder and enlarge the opening up slightly. 

I installed the the set today, compared to the original mounts off that core I had from the green GTS.
Your install may vary, but installed them in my car, with the included washers, and then reused the original thick washers on the top of the support, like pictured in Paul's cougar.
Will post later.
In the process of pulling the springs out right now, taking break for food.

I had to grind the frame opening to allow the bushing to sit with the step.
These are very firm, and because of the large diameter, I am pretty satisfied.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
inenidok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inenidok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2011 at 11:39AM
hey everyone i went digging in my stuff and found my old mount rotted but i had put it back together i guess to remind me how it went ugh smart on my part LOL well it was set up this way about a inch thick rubber in frame rubber on top frame with sleeve then a about a 1/4 inch spacer solid metal then 3 shims c shaped then a nut with a washer with a slight shoulder but not as thick as the support to allow for tighting and to keep in mount in the oblong hole in support. that is the way mine was setup.

washer
rubber
frame
rubber slevee to rubber
1/4 steel spacer
c shaped shims
support
washer with slight shoulder
nut

that is the way mine was setup but i only have one rubber now rest are gone from time
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2011 at 8:39PM
OK I've just spent the last hour and a half cruising around Omaha. Yes, it's 2:30AM.
I drove around testing the CVPI springs over some of Omaha's quality city streets.

My front clip with the new mount kit, is a hell of a lot better from before.
Going to work on the GTS tomorrow but driving some more to one of my brothers for a while, so I'll get a clear view of things...

73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2011 at 4:47AM
So what did you end up using for the core mounts? Did you 
take any pics??
How is the front end sitting with those springs? WE NEED PICS MAN!!!LOL
Jim

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2011 at 1:36PM
I used the larger universal body mount, and took a small die grinder and hogged the opening up slightly to fit them.

The car itself is more leveled than how it looked before...not as much of a rake, but not a big deal for me.

Working on pics. I was up till 5am this morning...had a long night...was out with the car until 3am "driving" it.

Overall the ride is firm. Not going BS anyone, but the car says level in hard corners. Does not feel bad...but I drive a '79 F150 with high rate coils up front, so the Torino rides softer compared to the GTS.

Comparing the GTS to say my 1999 Contour SE Sport with V6, the ride is compliant, and decent.

As I suspect from my decision to compromise on the bushings I got, I am getting some bad shaking on my rear axle if I am hitting...the suspension is loading up and shaking. I shook the car really hard last night taking a corner are a certain amount of speed and stepping into it {freeway ramp}.

My overall feedback is I think this is what I am happy with, and leaving as it.
My hope is the springs will settle maybe a 1/2" over time, and I'm good.

Time to dig my Comp/police rear uppers out of the cabinet and install polygraphite bushings on the uppers. Anyone found an install kit for spiracle bushings that can be used on the lowers?
Also looking at possibly doing a pan hard bar out back.

{Sorry, don't want to get off topic on the control arm stuff}

lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2011 at 4:01PM
Originally posted by Eliteman76 Eliteman76 wrote:

Time to dig my Comp/police rear uppers out of the cabinet and install polygraphite bushings on the uppers. Anyone found an install kit for spiracle bushings that can be used on the lowers?

What bushings are you using for the comp arms?
For now I'm using a stock set of arms with poly graphite bushings because they didn't have a listing for the comp arms.

Chuck    
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2011 at 4:39PM
Get some METCO LCA's. And they come with the bushings installed.
Jim

lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2011 at 12:52PM
Originally posted by 73GTS 73GTS wrote:

Get some METCO LCA's. And they come with the bushings installed.

I was refering to the upper control arms for the competition handling package. My car came with the package but I couldn't get the right size bushings to replace them (smaller than stock) and had to compromise for now with standard upper control arms.

Chuck 
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2011 at 4:05PM
Back to the rad support:
So, I am sitting on my creeper, staring up into the frame:
Taking the die grinder:

End result was...one half ass ground hole:

Bushing installed:

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2011 at 4:09PM
Of note:
I was supporting the GTS with 6 ton stands under the frame, where the frame kicks out and curves into the front area.
I was surprised when I unbolted the support, the front of the frame dropped a bit, due to assuming the engine/etc.
I had to take a jack and raise my frame back up to meet the support to bolt in the bushings.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2011 at 4:25PM
A couple short video clips: {click on the pictures below to play clip}

Edited by Eliteman76 - 11-May-2011 at 4:27PM
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2011 at 9:26PM
Originally posted by lynchster lynchster wrote:

Originally posted by Eliteman76 Eliteman76 wrote:

What bushings are you using for the comp arms?
For now I'm using a stock set of arms with poly graphite bushings because they didn't have a listing for the comp arms.

Chuck    

Chuck, these should work fine (emergy susp kit #4.3120):

They have kits for all yr Torino suspensions...hope this helps.

Chris
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
smitty-1976 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitty-1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2011 at 6:28AM

I found my replacement core support bushings from LMC Truck Parts.  Check their Bronco and Pickup catalogs under 1976.  Apparently the pickup and bronco used the same core support bushings. 

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-July-2011 at 4:33AM
Anybody ever figure out a bushing set up for the radiator support? We can now mount the body put the radiator support holds the front sheetmetal to the frame and it is important to have it at the correct height as this will effect fender fit to the doors and rocker.What have those of you that have done body off frame done for rad support?

Edited by 73 ProStreetTorino - 17-August-2011 at 5:59AM
inenidok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inenidok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-July-2011 at 7:13AM
i am going to use the set up eliteman76 used on his energy supenison 9.4102 nad even going to try to 9.4101 set since i have a soild spacer

Edited by inenidok - 24-July-2011 at 7:17AM
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-July-2011 at 9:39AM
Originally posted by inenidok inenidok wrote:

i am going to use the set up eliteman76 used on his energy supenison 9.4102 nad even going to try to 9.4101 set since i have a soild spacer

I tried this mount before. Seams like the best choice so far.
Jim

TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2011 at 2:52PM
Originally posted by smitty-1976 smitty-1976 wrote:

I found my replacement core support bushings from LMC Truck Parts.  Check their Bronco and Pickup catalogs under 1976.  Apparently the pickup and bronco used the same core support bushings. 

Getting ready to pull my core support off my '76. Looked thru their 2011 catalog and I can't seem to find them. What is the LMC part number for their core support bushings? Any pics of the final installation? Would like to have this issue put to rest BEFORE I bust mine apart.

THANKS!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 02-January-2012 at 9:31PM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2012 at 11:31AM
Has anyone put all of the information together in one document?  Probably be a good idea, once we reach consensus...
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2012 at 1:10PM
I just took the front clip off my '79 Ranchero and found the core support mounts had been replaced with Jeep bushings. Looked very good. Almost perfect with no mods.

KJ04005 87-96 YJ Wrangler Body Mount Installation

M02348 Bushing
M02350 Bushing

Jim

SininenIII View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SininenIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2012 at 7:34AM
^ Those Daystar bushings work, I used them on mine. All I had to do is trim a little those conical shaped bushing so they could fit in throught the holes at the bottom of the frame.

Bought them from Jeeperz Creeperz http://www.jeeperz-creeperz.com/
Aatu
73 Gran Torino Sport

73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2012 at 2:15PM
I have finished my research on the body mounts and core support mounts and conclude.........

The best mount I feel for the body is the Crown Vic mount I modified. If you would like poly mounts, I would use the Jeep mounts (Daystar). Both mounts have the same diameter metal sleeve as the hole in the frame for a perfect fit.

I took the Jeep mounts out of the core support on my 79 Ranchero. Not bad, but there were a few things I didn't like. I will say, the benefit of using the Jeep mount is it has the same diameter as the hole in the frame if the holes in the frame aren't rotted out.
Mine were, so I found the perfect setup for that situation. 

Here it is............

Just like Andrew, I bought the Energy Suspensions universal mounts awhile back and been playing around with different ideas until I perfected it. 

On my Ranchero, the Jeep mounts with factory spacers measured 1 13/16" between the frame and core support. I wanted to stay close to this measurement so if I had to do any more shimming, it wouldn't be much and would be easy.

These are the mounts to use.....

What is needed for the core support(and NO modifications are needed);

4 ea Mounts -  9.4102

Bought from Bolt Depot
2 ea  Bolts -  7/16-14 x 4 1/2  Grade 8
2 ea Nuts - 7/16-14  Grade 8
2 ea Nuts - 7/16-14 Locknuts Grade 8
12 ea Washers - SAE 7/16 Grade 8
4 ea Washers - USS 1 1/8 Grade 8

Factory shims and washers

1. Parts spread out in order.

2. We start at the bottom and work up thru the frame. This washer is in with the mount kit.

3. The rubber bushing can be "muscled" up thru the hole on the bottom of the frame without mods.
This part of the mount is used on the bottom and top. (2 of the same from 2 mounts) 

4. I used these 2 washers to "sandwich" the frame because of the holes being rotted out. They are 1 1/8" USS. 
To get 1 inside the frame, I took my grinder and opened the slot on the inside of the frame slightly to slide the washer in. 

5. Next we have the center sleeve.

6. Then the part of the mount that goes between the frame and the core support. (only 1 of these)

8. Washer supplied with mount.

9. Factory spacer. If you need to shim up, this is where you do it.

10. If your frame isn't rotted, you can shim here and eliminate the 2 frame sandwich washers I used.

11. 6 washers here (SAE 7/16) for 2 reasons. 1. The bolt isn't threaded long enough and 
2. it helps by fitting up in the core support for a perfect fit and guides the top bushing for a perfect fit too.

12. Regular nut tightened "Tight"

13. This is the finished mount to sit the core support on.

14. This bushing goes on the top side of the core support. (same bushing as used under frame)

15. Recessed area fits nicely over the nut for a perfect fit.

17. Washer supplied with mount.

18. Locknut

19. Complete mount 

20. Factory shim if needed. Washers work too, but mount needs to be taken apart.

This is a perfect solution to the core support mounts. I was very impressed with how it all fit together.

When you are done, the extra parts you will have are the 2 mounts with the attached metal sleeves. Sorry, no use for these. And 2 washers that are supplied with the mounts. These can be used to shim around the factory spacer if needed, or used around the factory spacer if the washers that sandwich the frame are not used.

Hope this helps! 
Jim

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2012 at 6:36AM
I wanted to add to this.
I am still getting a disconcerning amount of shake from my front clip, and can ot figure out how the heck to stop it.
I know the car is going to flex a bit while driving over hard stuff, but I do not like it.

On factory cars, only thing I noticed- no bushing on the top side, only a large washer.
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2012 at 7:22AM
The top bushing is only 1" maybe? And it's poly. Shouldn't cause any movement. Once it's tightened down it's pretty solid.
Jim

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2012 at 3:34PM
Andy, these things are gonna flex bad and the front end is gonna shake alot.
Not alot we can do unless you solid mount it or re-enforce the frame with a front hoop or something similar.
I believe that was the effort of those HD front lower support rods we saw in another thread.

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2012 at 3:03AM
You can replace the top bushing with washers instead. But that's about all you can do with it.
Jim

inenidok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inenidok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2012 at 3:11AM
well i know mine did not have a bushing on the top side of the support just in frame and top of frame them spacers and shimms
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>