The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - INFO: 1972-1979 Body Insulator Bushings - UPDATED
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

INFO: 1972-1979 Body Insulator Bushings - UPDATED

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2012 at 4:27AM
It seems like the 72, being the first year, has a lot of 'peculiarities' that Ford straightened out as the chassis was more refined.
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2012 at 9:19PM
Looking back again through the thread...I have decided to weld on my braces to the frame and bolt them in.
Curious to see if this is going to resolve the "shake" issue I seem to be suffering.
Also, it's hard to say as I have had my car completely torn apart.

Do not want to get side tracked on this thread, but nice info guys. Also for reference, if anyone needs original body bushings, I have a couple boxes of them if you need one for your own reference.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
carguy47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carguy47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2012 at 5:42AM
Researched these bushings and I can't believe the price increase: Tops are $20.25 and Bottoms are $16.42 each respectfully. I think I am going to reuse my originals and use cut down poly bushings.
FYI, I was able to create the correct height for the radiator bushings as well with the polys and the original hardware.
You have to build em to drive em!
BackInBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2012 at 4:01AM
Any conclusions on the shaking...
Stability ok with the energy supenison 9.4102 ?

I've just inspected my bushings and they are all splitting.   Looks like I'll replace the body mounts with the Crown Vic solution, but wanted to bump this thread to find out of the radiator support setup is a "go".

Thanks,
John
-John
1973 GTS
inenidok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inenidok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2012 at 3:31AM
i know my 73 did not have any rubber on the very top just a washer. and a nut. now do we need one kit or two kits from energy? i am ready to install front clip now.
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2012 at 5:30AM
If you're using a flat washer on the top instead, then all you need is 2 of the universal mounts.
Jim

inenidok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inenidok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2012 at 7:40AM
OK thanks 73gts I ordered one kit from energy suspension today I want it a factory style. Having the extra rubber looks like it would have an extra point for movement
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2012 at 4:46PM
I think the issue is more movement of the hood more than anything to be honest.
Had the GTS out today and driving down the interstate, it just seems like the hood is moving around more than I care. Fenders don't seem to see be moving much at all after watching a video clip we took today of the front clip.
Ermm
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2012 at 12:51AM
Andy, do you have the rubber bumper on the side of the hood that are slipped into the fender tops?
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
inenidok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inenidok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2012 at 2:15AM
do you still have the inner fenders in your car ? if not that is the problem
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2012 at 5:54AM
I just realized...I should really have a seperate post on this and not on this thread.

I am going to move to a new thread.

But, to answer the questions-
Yes on bumpers, and yes on inner fenders.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2012 at 4:28PM
Oh, another thing, I have a buddy here in Omaha that is a parts guy for a Ford dealer.
All I need is the part numbers, and he can price out for any members here.

Can someone post or message me the part numbers on the CV bushings?

73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2012 at 8:28AM
Originally posted by Eliteman76 Eliteman76 wrote:

Can someone post or message me the part numbers on the CV bushings?

THE PART NO's. ARE (UPPER MOUNT)6W1Z-5400396-A AND (LOWER) 6W1Z-5C155-AA.
Jim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2012 at 1:42AM
Just to summarize the bushing parts needed:

Body: (Crown Vic Parts)

Radiator support:
Energy supenison 9.4102

Is this correct?   What are the quantities  6 for the body bushings and 1 for the radiator (a pair)?

I tried to remove the driver side inner fender panel for access to the gearbox ...not having much success without removing the whole fender.   After unbolting the inner fender on the driver side the front seemed to drop and bit and now the lower front edge of the door binds with the fender when you open the door.   I suspect this is due to the radiator support bushings crushing over time.   Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks
John

Edited by BackInBlack - 04-June-2012 at 1:42AM
-John
1973 GTS
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2012 at 5:01AM
Originally posted by BackInBlack BackInBlack wrote:

Just to summarize the bushing parts needed:

Body: (Crown Vic Parts)

Radiator support:

Energy supenison 9.4102

Is this correct?   What are the quantities  6 for the body bushings and 1 for the radiator (a pair)?

Yes that Is the part numbers. You need a total of 10 body mounts and 2 core support mounts

Edited by 73GTS - 04-June-2012 at 5:11AM
Jim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2012 at 2:49PM

OK.
Paul, no offense taken man. What I did, was plan incorrect, I'll freely admit I screwed up.
See what happens when you don't take details of your car, and leave it apart for like 6 years?

And, back to the bushing:
energy suspension part # 9-4102 universal body mount kit for radiator support. 
Might need some modification = die grinder and enlarge the opening up slightly. 

I installed the the set today, compared to the original mounts off that core I had from the green GTS.
Your install may vary, but installed them in my car, with the included washers, and then reused the original thick washers on the top of the support, like pictured in Paul's cougar.
Will post later.
In the process of pulling the springs out right now, taking break for food.

I had to grind the frame opening to allow the bushing to sit with the step.
These are very firm, and because of the large diameter, I am pretty satisfied.

Just got the kit ...will be installing it this weekend.   Over the past 30 years the weight of the front has compressed the radiator bushing causing they fender/door gap to pinch toward the bottom.   I hope this will correct the gap shift.   
-John
-John
1973 GTS
inenidok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inenidok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2012 at 4:41AM
i know i just ordered one kit and reinstalled mine back factory with the spacer and shims and everything lined up perfect i can get pics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2012 at 2:01AM
Anyone have pics of the Energy Suspension bushings installed?

Looking for a total stack up with typical shims/spacers to make sure I'm assembling it correctly.

Thanks
-John
1973 GTS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2012 at 1:54AM

OK.
Paul, no offense taken man. What I did, was plan incorrect, I'll freely admit I screwed up.
See what happens when you don't take details of your car, and leave it apart for like 6 years?

And, back to the bushing:
energy suspension part # 9-4102 universal body mount kit for radiator support. 
Might need some modification = die grinder and enlarge the opening up slightly. 

I installed the the set today, compared to the original mounts off that core I had from the green GTS.
Your install may vary, but installed them in my car, with the included washers, and then reused the original thick washers on the top of the support, like pictured in Paul's cougar.
Will post later.
In the process of pulling the springs out right now, taking break for food.

I had to grind the frame opening to allow the bushing to sit with the step.
These are very firm, and because of the large diameter, I am pretty satisfied.

I installed one side of the radiator support bushings from Enerty suspension.  Everything fit and lined up.  The bottom half of the bushing and large washer required some delicate manuvering in the frame rail because the bottom access hole wasn't large enough (73 torino).   The fenders line up without spacers.  

However, after closer examination of the old bushing set vs the new Energy set... The old set has a threaded flange/collar that threads onto the bolt at the botom of the stack.   This provides a solide limit hard mount for the body to rest on when the bushing collapses.   The stock bushing looks like a better design, but I can't find stock OEM replacements which is why I'm using the Energy suspension bushing kit.   (BTW.   you only need one Energy Susp.  kit.  It comes with 2 bushing stacks.)

Any ideas?   sounds like one maybe 2 others are using the Energy kit...Its it working for you without shifting issues?
Thanks,
John
-John
1973 GTS
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2012 at 6:25AM
My main issue comes more from my hood lifting at speed.
I adjusted the hood a month back, and from some reason, despite being alighned as best as I am able to get it, it moves around on the front edge at speeds like interstate/highway driving.

I am at the point I am just going to do an underhood latch kit like what a vette would use, or something along those lines except I am not planning on installing hood pins or twist locks. Don't want to cut up my hood or punch huge holes up top.

inenidok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inenidok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2012 at 3:57AM

I think the issue is more movement of the hood more than anything to be honest.
Had the GTS out today and driving down the interstate, it just seems like the hood is moving around more than I care. Fenders don't seem to see be moving much at all after watching a video clip we took today of the front clip.
Ermm
well i got mine in and installed them using factory spacer and shims only used one kit only have bushing inside frame and on top of frame then the bolt on top of the support and it fits perfect everything lined up dead on i am 1/16th of a inch out of square so far
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2013 at 4:24PM
I have a thought regarding body bushing. Just a though.. hope I don't get destroyed for this but...

as anyone considered machining aluminum bushing? Lots of the second gen F body guys use aluminum bushing in the front subframe for chassis rigidity? A 2nd gen project me and one of my good friends built used poly bushing exclusively on all the chassis mounting although we considered the aluminum.

Some strange part of me is telling me that the body, when left loose on rubber bushings, does little to help with the chassis rigidity. Seems like just a bunch of body fat.

Has anyone tried poly throughout that can attest to the difference it made, if any? How much harsher does the ride get from just going to poly? I feel like with a poly body bushings, nicely designed suspension package that ins't overly harsh, and upgrades to interior insulation material the road noise would be the same as stock if not better. Of course tires play into this too but that's another thread.

Back to the aluminum... Too crazy????
-Billy Conturo
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2013 at 7:08PM
Honestly...poly I think would be more than suitable for most guys.

I could see a solid aluminum chunk if you were doing a race car, etc.
On a street car that's just a cruiser? Overkill IMHO, but not a bad suggestion.

Would I do it on my car? *shrug* doubtful. I'd just as well swap to a poly type and call it done.
In my case I snagged bushings off a Elite that had 67k on the clock and a severe engine fire.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2013 at 1:56AM
I think you would be the first to try it...

Overall, I think the idea makes sense.   Like anything...there is a trade off.   Road noise, vibration, etc.  vs rigidity, better road manners, etc.

I would like to see the results.   I'm not to that point yet, but surely would like to see this feedback before I have to replace the bushings on my GTS.

-John

-John
1973 GTS
freyguy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freyguy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2014 at 3:06AM
Well the price has certainly gone up in the last 4 years. I checked my local Ford dealer in WI and came up with $17.92 for the top and $15.00 for the bottom. I then called Westway Ford in TX to see if they had the low price you spoke about and they were at $19.92 for the top. I ended the conversation right there. Too bad I didn't have the $ and the time in the mid 80s to restore my 72 Q code 4 speed. Oh well. Its only money. I do appreciate the info you guys supply on this forum. Wish me luck. You will be hearing more from me as the summer goes on and the car progresses.
RedGTS4SPD
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2014 at 8:09AM
Did you try Bob Utter Ford?
Jim

freyguy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freyguy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2014 at 9:18AM
I got everything from bluespringsford online for $397 that included shipping. Not too bad. I'm looking at Rock Auto for the remainder of the suspension bushings. Their prices seem very reasonable.
RedGTS4SPD
freyguy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freyguy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2014 at 10:35AM
Sorry that was a typo. $14.58 for the top insulator and $12.20 each for the bottoms. $297.26 with shipping. https://www.bluespringsfordparts.com/
RedGTS4SPD
Clay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2014 at 5:13AM
Originally posted by 73GTS 73GTS wrote:

Originally posted by Psquare75 Psquare75 wrote:

What is the cost on these, roughly?
I just called Westway Ford the current price is 23.25 for the top & 21.67 for the bottom.

$10.68 top (6W1Z-5400396-A) & $9.44 bottom ( 6W1Z-5C155-AA) x 10 mounts = $201.20 Westway Ford Parts Department.

I know Bob Utter Ford has them, but they're cheapest at Westway Ford Parts Department Wink 
Clay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2014 at 2:31AM
I heard the Chevelle body mount bushings will work & they're only about a hundred bucks for all 10

I like the price, but I don't know if what I heard is true. Does anyone have any experience with using the Chevelle bushings ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>