The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - INFO: 1972-1979 Body Insulator Bushings - UPDATED
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

INFO: 1972-1979 Body Insulator Bushings - UPDATED

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2014 at 5:55AM
Yes you have to use the convertible ones and they need to be modified. My way is much easier. And more correct.
Jeep mounts work too, I just came up with what I thought was the best and easiest solution.

Edited by 73GTS - 05-August-2014 at 5:57AM
Jim

Clay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2014 at 6:29AM
Is it a big pain in the butt to modify the Chevelle mounts ?

First time I've heard of the Jeep mounts. I guess they have to be modified also ?

Which one is easier to modify & cost less ?

I do like your way w/ the crown vic mounts, but they're expensive. I'm trying to decide if the trade off for time to modify Chevelle or Jeep mounts  is worth the savings in money.
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2014 at 3:00AM
Personal preference. But the CV mounts are the closest to original as you can get. Size and design wise. Exept for shortening the center tube, it's a direct bolt in. Fits perfect and is the correct size. That's a win in my book. I'd rather spend the coin to get a better mount. jmo
Jim

Montego01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montego01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2014 at 11:40AM
Since I have a 72, will the energy suspension kit 9.4102 kit still apply for the core support?

I took a pic of a 72 Torino's rad support that still has the original setup. Seems there were no cushions below the frame. Only between the support and the frame.

I guess those metal things are shims?

Any input is appreciated.

Scott
72 Montego GT 429 build thread
1966 Chevy C10
1973 Montego MX
2004 Bonneville GXP
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2014 at 12:17PM
scott, that's the part# for the ones i used (haven't put it back together yet, but i'm thinking they should work great) # 9.4102
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Montego01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montego01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-August-2014 at 12:40AM
Good...thanks John. I'll have to get me a set. The gaps on that car were perfect.

Wished I would have measured the exact distance from the top of the frame to the rad support when I had that car in here. Maybe it's on that sheet I saw on the other frame bushing thread. Have to check that out.
Scott
72 Montego GT 429 build thread
1966 Chevy C10
1973 Montego MX
2004 Bonneville GXP
Clay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2014 at 7:19AM
I just wanted to say that I used the 08 Crown Vic body mounts, purchased from my local Ford dealer for 315 bucks, 10 uppers 10 lowers, w/ tax... and they're well worth the extra money, they fit like a glove. Clap
Clay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2014 at 2:06AM
I'd also like to add that I used 73GTS, senior members, advice on the radiator mount bushings set up & it to worked great. I just finished it last night & was very pleased w/ how it all turned out.
Thumbs Up
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2014 at 3:29AM
Awesome
Jim

TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2014 at 5:35AM
Originally posted by Clay Clay wrote:

I'd also like to add that I used 73GTS, senior members, advice on the radiator mount bushings set up & it to worked great. I just finished it last night & was very pleased w/ how it all turned out. Thumbs Up

Clay,

Did you order 4 Mount kits (p/n 94102) or 2 kits to get the necessary parts? Looks like a kit includes 2 lower bushings and two upper bushings (only need to use 1 per side) so 1 kit per side? Want to be sure to order correctly....

THANKS!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
pdw72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdw72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2014 at 7:40AM
Forgive me if this has already been covered but what is the reason for cutting down the steel insert in the crown vic mounts, it seems just getting longer bolts should make up any difference in height and the body will sit slightly higher off the frame. I have ordered my upper mounts and will be ordering my lowers soon and then finding the correct bolts afterwards. 
Paul Welch
'72 Ranchero 500/'94 4.6L swap project
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2014 at 7:44AM
Fitment issues.
Jim

Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2014 at 12:41PM
I kinda figured Big Whip about a fraction of an inch of additional height off the frame, but there is a possibility that it could cause a kerfuffle if you're running a stock mechanical fan & shroud
the body shell will rise, causing the core support to need to be shimmed higher to align the fenders and the rad core & shroud moves with the support

but the engine & fan will remain at ground zero... the fan may get into the bottom of the shroud?

if you're running custom electric fan & shroud there may be no downside?

IIRC the mounts are not all the same height as called out in the factory manual. I figured washer shim as needed to adjust final height for each position 
72 GT Ute

pdw72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdw72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2014 at 6:22AM
I will have my share of alignment issues due to my grafted Crown vic front subframe/suspension and 4.6l swap nothing factory will work i'm sure. I will check things out in the spring once I can get out to the garage but it is good to have the mounts finally so I can move forward.

Paul Welch
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2014 at 7:14AM
gotta start somewhere!

Aaaah Spring....
72 GT Ute

pdw72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdw72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2014 at 3:05PM
got my uppers at Parts.com for $15 each(6W1Z5400396A) and will be ordering my lowers soon from RockAuto.com for $7.14 each(Dorman part#924014).
Paul Welch
buickracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buickracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2015 at 5:26PM
All,

I have contacted a manufacturer at SEMA.  They are working on making a urethane bushing to replace the original body bushings.  the metal will have to be reused or replaced.  I will work on finding a company to make the metal also and make a kit.  Please let me know if anyone will be interested as I will get  better price with a larger volume.  btracingparts@gmail.com.

I will be working on radiator core support next

gran torino sport
BackInBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2015 at 11:57PM
I am interested.   Just one question...why poly for body bushings instead of a hard compound rubber?

What is the advantage?

Thanks
John
-John
1973 GTS
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2015 at 3:02AM
don't forget about the long oval shaped pair that sit towards the front of the main body on each side.

poly doesn't breakdown from ozone like rubber!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2015 at 3:21AM
But Poly will not absorb any vibration and transmit it all into the body.  Using poly here wont improve handling; hard compound rubber will still last a long time.  

Its obvious with a suspension, controlling deflection preventing alignment shifts due to impacts in the suspension.   It increases vibration/noise but improves the suspension; that's a good trade in my book.

By using poly; what does it fix that the rubber can't?   Just trying to understand what the advantages/disadvantages of using poly in a body mount?    Is lasting longer the only advantage?

Regards,
John

Edited by BackInBlack - 09-November-2015 at 3:22AM
-John
1973 GTS
buickracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buickracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2015 at 6:47PM
I was told that there are many compounds of poly bushings.  we are trying to get a similar grade to the original rubber.  I was told these should hold up better than rubber.  Please continue with questions and I will pass them on
gran torino sport
mlachance112785 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlachance112785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-November-2015 at 4:45PM
What does the pricing look like? I was planning on using the CV mounts, but if these are decent I might hold of on doing them for a little while.
77 Cougar XR7 460/C6

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2015 at 6:36AM
Any updates on this?   I'm about ready to buy new body bushings. 

-John
-John
1973 GTS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2016 at 3:02AM
Just now getting to work on the bushings...Having trouble getting the fronts off.   Do you  have to remove the fenders to remove the bushings?   ( can't tell if the nuts are welded in or loose)

Got it up on stands...
Was planning to loosen one side (for a pivot) and remove the opposite side.  Then was going to use the jack (with a wood block on the rocker panel at the bushing location) to lift each side of the body and use 4" blocks between the frame and body to hold it while I work.   

I dont have a hoist or lift.   Any help would be greatly appreciated.   
-John
1973 GTS
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2016 at 3:28AM
John I used an engine hoist to lift my body off my frame.
Front then back.
My front clip was off and drivetrain was out.
I need to find pictures...
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2016 at 3:34AM
Got the mounts to loosen up.   Some creaking and popping, but slow and easy...got them loose.

Looks like 8 mounts on a 72-73...4 in front, 2 in front of rear wheels, 2 after rear wheels.  

Did i find all of them?   I thought there were suppose be 10 mounts..

I was hoping to be able to do it without taking the front clip off.   My plan was to get enough clearance on one side to clean up and paint the frame; not for looks but for protection.  Inspect and clean, then put the new mounts on and then move to the other side.   Trying to get the underside and suspension cleaned up and done before getting the beast painted.   Overall its pretty clean, even the bolts still have the zinc plating.  Its an Arizona car.   All the rubber, plastic, undercoat, body sealer, is cracking off and disintegrating.

O'well....plans change all the timeConfused

will the hoist make it that much easier?   I guess a run to harbor freight and get that 2 ton model...

Regarding painting...while its at the paint shop I was planning on taking the inner fender wells and radiator support off to get powder coated.   Figure I would work on the motor and trans last and defer the hoist till then.

Edited by BackInBlack - 18-January-2016 at 3:45AM
-John
1973 GTS
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2016 at 3:54AM
Powdercoating the fenderwells and core support is money well spent on those parts prone to rust.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2016 at 4:11AM
Originally posted by BackInBlack BackInBlack wrote:

Looks like 8 mounts on a 72-73...4 in front, 2 in front of rear wheels, 2 after rear wheels.  

there are 12.  2 at the very front under the radiator core support...  4 (2 on each side) under the firewall...  2 just in front of the axle...  4 behind the axle....  

look through the second page of my project update thread...  you can see where each one is...
http://forum.grantorinosport.org/legends-73-gran-torino-sport-stacy-lynn_topic4837_page2.html
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2016 at 4:32AM
Originally posted by legend onirot legend onirot wrote:

Originally posted by BackInBlack BackInBlack wrote:

there are 12.  2 at the very front under the radiator core support...  4 (2 on each side) under the firewall...  2 just in front of the axle...  4 behind the axle....  

look through the second page of my project update thread...  you can see where each one is...
http://forum.grantorinosport.org/legends-73-gran-torino-sport-stacy-lynn_topic4837_page2.html

Thanks!  I already replaced the radiator bushing with the poly setup on this thread (forgot to mention that).  I'm using the recommended crown vic bushings for the body.   I would have rather used poly but alas...nothing available.
-John
1973 GTS
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2016 at 1:42AM
My 72 frame has 14 bushings. I had 2 above the rear axle also.
Jim

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>