The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - INFO: 1972-1979 Body Insulator Bushings - UPDATED
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

INFO: 1972-1979 Body Insulator Bushings - UPDATED

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2017 at 6:02AM
Yup...I used thread locker also....forgot to mention that.   I used the blue thread locker.
-John
1973 GTS
abrewsterarchitect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abrewsterarchitect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2017 at 3:58AM
Just a quick pointer if anyone is interested, i bought the crown vic bushings, and replaced as instructed by the very helpful posts in this thread. However while tightening the bolts ive discovered that they are actually a little thinner and i ended up replacing every single one with my old bolts....
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2018 at 3:38AM
I am awaiting the arrival of my body mount bushings and just have a couple of questions.  The sleeves have to be cut to 1 1/4", is that the sleeve height or total height of the piece?  Also I would like to replace all of the bolts, what size has been used.  I also noticed in the Ford service manual the torque spec on the bolts is 20-30 ft/lbs, will that be enough to draw the bushing down to the proper height?  I was thinking to start there, let the body settle and if need be torque more.  And one last thing, my body is currently at the painters and the frame will not be ready before he is done, has anyone built a body trolley for storage purposes?  I am going to be building one but if someone else has already I would appreciate any suggestions on designs.   thanks  -  dave
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2018 at 7:13AM
i would check the length of the sleeves on each body maount as you remove them, they may be / i think there are different lengths for different locations

the factory manual may have the info in print

Edited by Rockatansky - 22-May-2018 at 7:13AM
72 GT Ute

73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2018 at 7:46AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

i would check the length of the sleeves on each body maount as you remove them, they may be / i think there are different lengths for different locations

the factory manual may have the info in print

They are all the same length except for the core support.
Jim

73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2018 at 7:56AM
Originally posted by 1973gts 1973gts wrote:

The sleeves have to be cut to 1 1/4", is that the sleeve height or total height of the piece?  Also I would like to replace all of the bolts, what size has been used.  I also noticed in the Ford service manual the torque spec on the bolts is 20-30 ft/lbs, will that be enough to draw the bushing down   thanks  -  dave

If you measure your original bushing sleeve you'll see its 1-1/4. You want the new sleeve to match the old. If you can reuse your old bolts do that. If you need longer just get the same size as original just a little longer. As far as torque, you are only "smashing" a rubber bushing. I'm sure it would take less than 30 lbs even though 30 lbs isn't much, but in any case you can use locktite and just tighten up until they are tight. They will only tighten so far.
Jim

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2018 at 2:59PM

I am awaiting the arrival of my body mount bushings and just have a couple of questions.  The sleeves have to be cut to 1 1/4", is that the sleeve height or total height of the piece?  Also I would like to replace all of the bolts, what size has been used.  I also noticed in the Ford service manual the torque spec on the bolts is 20-30 ft/lbs, will that be enough to draw the bushing down to the proper height?  I was thinking to start there, let the body settle and if need be torque more.  And one last thing, my body is currently at the painters and the frame will not be ready before he is done, has anyone built a body trolley for storage purposes?  I am going to be building one but if someone else has already I would appreciate any suggestions on designs.   thanks  -  dave
the sleeve is what limits the crush of the bushings Wink
 as far as a cart for the body... this is what i threw together for mine (doesn't really need to be 2' tall)

JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2018 at 3:00PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2018 at 2:08AM
Thanks for all the info, it is definitely helpful.  John, the cart looks like what I was thinking about, the body is pretty much ready and is in primer but want to store it in a car trailer until I finish the frame.  Also just curious on this, I just got my body bushings and the bolts, which I understand are smaller than the original bolts, are splined towards the head of the bolt preventing them from coming out of the bushing.  I will be tapping them out and enlarging the hole to fit the old bolts but just wondered if this is how they normally come.  thanks again - dave

Edited by 1973gts - 23-May-2018 at 2:12AM
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2018 at 5:17AM
The crown Vic mounts I have are not splined. The old bolts fit the mounts just fine.
Jim

1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2018 at 10:00AM
Afraid I'm back with another question.  My original metal sleeves in the bushings measure 1 5/8", the new sleeves measure 1 7/8".  If I cut the new ones down to 1 1/4"  will they not be too short?  Or do I cut the new ones down 1/4" to equal the height of the old one?  I am getting ready to do the cutting, just want to make sure I am getting the right length.  thanks - dave
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2018 at 1:07PM
the sleeve is the limiting factor for the bushing crush to keep it snug without squashing it too much it's purpose is to isolated the transfer of vibration and shock from the road
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2018 at 1:42PM
the sleeve and washers also set the overall height of the body mount against the others, they either have to be the same as original .... or different by the same amount or you'll pull the body out of shape with the mounts
72 GT Ute

1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2018 at 2:33PM
So the shorter than original altered tube compensates for the fatter than original bushing making the frame to body spacing the same as original?  I believe I understand it I just want to make sure my original bushings are the same as others who have done this before I cut to 1 1/4 inch.
Dave - 1973 GTS N code

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2018 at 4:07PM
i'm gonna go with No on that

whatever you put in has to the be the same overall height as what you took out

the rubber doesn't determine height, only the metal washers and sleeve

Edited by Rockatansky - 17-June-2018 at 4:09PM
72 GT Ute

73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2018 at 1:44AM

So the shorter than original altered tube compensates for the fatter than original bushing making the frame to body spacing the same as original?  I believe I understand it I just want to make sure my original bushings are the same as others who have done this before I cut to 1 1/4 inch.

The altered tube will be the same length as the original tube. The bushing will crush to the proper thickness
Jim

1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2018 at 2:23AM
Ok, thats what I was trying to confirm, thanks again
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2018 at 3:17AM
Just for future reference for those doing this in the future, the original bushing tube length on my 73 GTS (manufacture date 3-23-73) was 1 1/2 ", total metal bushing height 1 5/8", so I am going to cut the new ones to these measurements, not 1 1/4".  Not sure but possibly a minor design change from the earlier ones?  
Dave - 1973 GTS N code

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2018 at 6:12AM
i've tossed it up a couple times but IDK if it's been flying into the ditch?

IF THE WASHERS ARE DIFFERENT YOU HAVE TO FACTOR THAT IN

thank you
72 GT Ute

1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2018 at 11:28AM
To Rockatansky, the last post was not a critique or question needing an answer but merely information to let others that read this topic in the future know that apparantly not all bushings are 1 1/4", and that they need to measure theirs to confirm what length to cut to.  Before I posed my original post I don't remember reading that there was any information that other size bushings were involved, I just needed clarification on the 1 1/4" length before I started cutting. I tend to be a little anal about things that can cost me money due to my having made uneducated judgements on projects in the past, this one I definitely want to make as few mistakes as possible. I apologize if you feel I was being redundant but the last post was strictly to help future readers.  -  dave  
Dave - 1973 GTS N code

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2018 at 1:08PM
no problem here, i just don't want to see later that your doors are pinched and roof buckled because i didn't speak up, for future readers too. the sleeves and the washers add up to an over-all measurement, just looking at the sleeves could lead to an issue if different thickness washers get into the blend

FWIW my understanding was that there are several different height mounts involved in different locations, i've seen the dimensions in the factory manual but then again i may be hallucinating or that was Ranchero specific and does not apply to Torino, IDK?

i'm not saying this is what happened here but sometimes guys only see what they want to see, are ready to fall out tired, or in the fog of not understanding they gloss over some critical tidbit, i just didn't want that to be the case ... no worries & all's well Big smile
72 GT Ute

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2018 at 3:13PM
FWIW rancheros may be a little different in the rear???
but all the 74's i parted 2dr vs 4dr.... all the bushings were the same
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2018 at 3:34PM
Just thought I would throw this out there because I have not seen this mentioned in previous posts.  I ordered the Crown Vic bushing kit which came with the body bushings and two radiator bushings.  The radiator bushings have a similar set-up to the original Torino bushings, that being a washer with a depressed threaded center section that screws onto a larger diameter section of the bolt through the frame.                                                                                                                                                                This washered bushing also has an oval shaped protrusion on the bottom side.  This protruded part fits snugly in the frame opening for the radiator support connection.  The bushing measures 1-3/16" high excluding the protrusion.  I installed it on my frame and it tightens down and self centers in the hole.  The below frame bushing has a cut out on the top side that the washered bushings protrusion seats tightly into.  The bottom side has an imbedded washer in it.  
Also included is a 1" high top metal bushing.  It appears this piece is supposed to go on top of the radiator support and it has a center cut out for the nut to screw down into.  
This bushing would have to be shimmed like the original one was to get the correct height but it looks like it would be a pretty secure set-up.  I had already ordered the poly universal bushing set but am seriously considering using the Crown Vic set.  I'm looking for anyone who may have used these or just input, good or bad, on these being used.                                                                          

Edited by 1973gts - 25-June-2018 at 3:41PM
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
BackInBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2018 at 11:58PM
That's a great idea. I tried some rubber bushing replacement and found the weight of the front clip really compressed the rubber which shifted the door gaps. It didn't take long for that to happen. The poly bushing doesn't shift as much. Rubber is preferable but it's difficult to determine the correct compressed height over time. Maybe some sort of cup on the ends of the rubber bushing to limit the squish?

I would like to see what you figured out...

Regarding the cut height, i have an early 73. I found the same height issue with the body bushings. I cut them to the 1 1/4 height and had no issues. I did this because of height of the front bushings and the alignment of the front clip to the doors. I'm using the poly bushings in the front. The front can still use more shims to set the gap properly.   Just a fyi...there is enough slop in the body bushing height that it it doesn't matter if the height is off a bit so long as they are all cut to the same height.

Edited by BackInBlack - 26-June-2018 at 12:12AM
-John
1973 GTS
BackInBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2018 at 12:16AM
I'm almost to the point of using aluminum bushing with a rubber washers to dampen vibration. I'm tired of fighting the shifting door gaps. I want to set the gaps and forget it. I consider the radiator support bushing arrangement a design flaw. Its been a headache.
-John
1973 GTS
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2018 at 2:33AM
I am going to do some research on these and see what the the torque spec tightness is and what the compressed height will be.  I like the idea of tightening up the base bushing seperately and then spacing with the shims and metal bushings from the original set-up but the poly set-up appears to work well also.  I will post the info when I get it.  
Also for those having a problem getting the bottom bushings in through the bottom frame opening I used a coat hanger with a string attached and ran it through the bottom hole to the lower frame opening by the lower control arm, tied the bushing to the string and pulled it back through to the bushing mount location.  I had to use the coat hanger a little to help the bushing past some bolt obstructions but came through easily.  
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
Bigbk12deer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigbk12deer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2019 at 5:12PM
Does anyone have the factory measurement specs from the bottom of the rad support to the frame. Mine was out to lunch i had 1 15/16 on one side and the other was  2 1/2. Lol. Not sure what happened and why they did that. Any help on this would be great thanks in advance. Oh sry and thats on 72 as well. 
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2019 at 4:09AM
I took photos of mine prior to disassembly but this is on a 73, not sure if 72 is different.  
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
Bigbk12deer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigbk12deer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2019 at 5:30AM
Right on thanks itll be a good starting point  
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2019 at 7:39AM
Keep in mind, there was a lot of shimming done on the assembly line to get body gaps within general specs. We are not talking body fitment like of today's cars, but honestly I have never had issue with the gaps on Torinos.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>