The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need photos of 429 pulley set up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need photos of 429 pulley set up
    Posted: 10-October-2010 at 11:09AM
OK I asked about belts for this engine but there is a problem with mine that the pulleys don't line up.the alternater pulley doesn't line up with the crank pulleys and neither does the power steering.It's a Q code car so don't know if the accessories were from the Cleveland or the 429 but the grooves don't line up.,infact the waterpump pulleys don't line up good either. the pump has 3 grooves,the outer closest to fanvis bigger then the 2 inner which are the same diameter and the crank has 3 groove with outter being smaller and 2 inside grooves bigger but they don't line up with each other. the alternater seems to line up closest to the center groove but is somewhat off. the power steering pump is probably spaced wrong and can go back further but I would like photos so I can figure what is wrong and which accessory goes to what pulley to try and correct the problem so I can get belts for it and have the routed correctly
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2010 at 12:57PM
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2010 at 2:48PM
not much help my motor is a 69 429 2 V, it's not a CJ or SCJ and the pulleys on mine are different and has no dampner it's internally balanced.I'm accessing the web from my cellphone and the touch screen has some issues now so it's hard for me to search and navigate the web.Hoping that someone might have an older 429 closer to what I have with no harmonic balancer,that might be able to take a photo and post it
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2010 at 5:04PM
No dampener? they all have dampeners. Is your power steering pump driven on the balancer? 
Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2010 at 2:09AM
no dampner,it's a internally balanced engine,they do exist cause I looked it up after I bought the car cause there was none and thought it was strange that the crank stuck out and no dampner then just a 3 groove pulley.Wish I could post photos to show it.I googled 429 engines one time and came across the info.
JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2010 at 11:12AM
Internally balanced BBF engines (pre '79 385 series) just lose the hatchet weight between the damper and the front cover.  The harmonic damper isn't there for engine balance, it's there to dampen crankshaft harmonics.  I don't recall seeing too many modern V8 engines without one..

Jim
1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-November-2010 at 7:00PM
still hoping someone has a photo they can post,hard for me to do photo search with a cellphone as pages take forever to load.any im interested in the water pump pulleys as its a 3 groove,kinda weird and wondering if it's correct cause they seem not to line up with the crank pulley.I may have to buy new pulleys but without knowing what to get is the problem
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2010 at 2:15AM
Jeff, libraries usually have free internet access. A thought. 
Paul
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2010 at 2:54AM
I'm gonna go to the book store and see if I can find something.spent over an hour on google last night.I did find out all the horsepower ratings for the different 429 motors.my motor only has 55 hp less then the 429 SCJ which aint bad.2v Thunderjet is 320 hp,4v Thunderjet is 360,429 CJ is 370 hp and 429SCJ is 375 hp.So even with the 2v I have a good base to start with.
JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2010 at 5:01AM
on my 545, the alternator and the inner of the two water pump pulley grooves line up, the belt goes from crank to wp to alt.  The PS pump is driven off of the crank only and I had to space it out about 3/16 to get things to line up.

Jim
1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st
JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2010 at 5:08AM

This engine has pulleys like mine did before the underdrives

1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2010 at 5:38AM
my waterpump pulley is 3 grove which is weird.I might have to get different pulleys cause whoever installed the motor rigged stuff
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2010 at 12:27PM
still can't figure out this 3 groove waterpump pulley,so I removed it to get the part# C9AE-8509-E.Gonna remove the crank pulley tommorow to get the part number from it.The link Paul posted is for 71 CJ & SCJ on a Mustang and the A/C equiped motor uses 2 groove water pump and 3 groove crank pulley.The non A/C engine has single water pump pulley and 2 groove crank pulley.don't know if the 429 Thunderjet engines had different pulleys then CJ & SCJ as i'm having a hard time finding info. on the Thunderjet engines
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2010 at 12:39PM
Does anybody have a 429 ThunderJet either 4v or 2v?Torino's came with CobraJet or SuperCobraJet,so it would have to be a motor swapped car like mine.T-Birds,Galaxie and other big cars had ThunderJets and the performance cars had CJ/SCJ engines like the Mustang,Torino,Cyclone and Cougars.
orlnslloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orlnslloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2010 at 11:10AM
What crank pulley do you have? This might help http://www.mustangtek.com/pulley/Pulley.html
'72, GTSFB, 460, C6, 3.70
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2010 at 11:51AM
it's a 3 groove crank pulley,not sure on the part number yet,as I haven't pulled it off to see.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2010 at 12:01PM
do big block Fords have different water pumps,short&long nose?reason being is the water pump pulley sticks to far out and doesn't match up with crank pulley.thinking about getting different pulleys as the car is non A/C and don't need but single groove water pump pulley as I see most alternaters run just off the crank and are bolted to the bottom of engine not up high like the small blocks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orlnslloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2010 at 1:22PM
Originally posted by 73 ProStreetTorino 73 ProStreetTorino wrote:

do big block Fords have different water pumps,short&long nose?reason being is the water pump pulley sticks to far out and doesn't match up with crank pulley.thinking about getting different pulleys as the car is non A/C and don't need but single groove water pump pulley as I see most alternaters run just off the crank and are bolted to the bottom of engine not up high like the small blocks

Yes there are different pumps. Kinda want to know the crank pulley #s cause it could be matched by application.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2010 at 12:51PM
ok couldn't get it off and best I can see crank pulley C9VE 6816-A2.The crank pulley seems correct as the timing pointer points to back edge of pulley and the timing marks are on the back edge of pulley as has no harmonic dampner so it makes sense that marks are on pulley.Also after checking again the 2 groove alternator pulley lines up perfect with the back 2 grooves on crank pulley.The water pump is Ford p/n E9TE-AA if that is of any help and the 3 groove waterpump pulley is C9AE-8509-E.Hope someone can figure this out but my guess is either water pump pulley is wrong or waterpump as the C9VE is same as heads and i'm sure the block

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orlnslloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2010 at 2:13PM
I bet ya need this pump. Early short pump for Lincolns. Is your crank pulley a dampener  too. Some have the pulley grooves in them.

Edited by orlnslloyd - 07-November-2010 at 2:18PM
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2010 at 2:53PM
doesn't seem to be,just looks like 3 groove pulley,pulley edge is thin if dampner would think it has some beef to it.trying to make out number on that pump but either way I need to replace water pump pulley as I don't need 3 grooves,as it's non A/C car I can get away with single groove pulley as alt. runs off crank only and power steering pump is tensioner for water pump belt,but I need to figure out what P/N for single groove pulley to use.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orlnslloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2010 at 3:12PM
C8SE E is a short pump. There are others too. Dampener-pulley will have a rubber ring seen from the front. It looks like a pulley set with no dampener. You have a late long pump with the early short pump pulleys. You need a short pump with those pulleys/dampener. Or a pulley set, and dampener to match the pump. 
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2010 at 12:38AM
I would rather get a short water pump and find a single groove pulley and leave the crank alone cause it's the correct one.my thoughts were that someone replaced water pump and got the wrong one.hope the part store can cross reference the Ford short pump number as they usually look it up by application-make,model & year.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2010 at 6:04AM
Went to NAPA to see if they could cross reference the casting number and closest was C8SE 8505 D It did come up as 69 429 water pump.They don't have any in the State and have to have it shipped in from out west.It's gonna cost $55 plus shipping.I couldn't order it as you have to prepay for the part,so I have to wait a few weeks to be able to pay then another week for shipping.I can see it now having a 429 is gonna be a biotch to get parts for.now I wonder if I can use a CJ single groove pulley or do I need to find what the ThunderJet engine had.Try to find info. on the TJ engines hasn't been easy and still have no info on pulleys.
JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2010 at 6:06AM
Can you get a picture of your crank pulley (as installed) up here?  What is it bolted to?  Typically, the damper slides over the crank snout and is located by a woodruff key and then the lower pulley is bolted to that..  Does your motor have the strange t-bird front setup with the integral power steering pump?
1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2010 at 6:36AM
looks like crank sticks out about 3-4 inches and the pully bolts to the end with 3 bolts and the center bolt.I can clearly see the front crank seal as there is that space.I can't post pics as I have no internet on my computer now and using my mobile to access the forum.The crank set up is fine,I believe the problem is too long of water pump so in a few weeks i'll order the short pump and problem should be fixed but I would like to change to a single groove pulley if I can find out a part # for one on a TJ engine or if CJ will work.
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2010 at 6:47AM
I'd pitch that funky setup and put back what should be there. Sell it to someone that wants it. 
Paul
lilpanther View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilpanther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2010 at 10:31AM
Hi 73 ProstreetTorino, Is this what your pully set-up look's like?
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2010 at 11:52AM
can't tell but yours looks like it has a harmonic dampner,and I have a 3 groove waterpump pulley.your motor must be A/C with the 2 groove water pump pulley.
lilpanther View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilpanther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2010 at 11:58AM
Originally posted by 73 ProStreetTorino 73 ProStreetTorino wrote:

can't tell but yours looks like it has a harmonic dampner,and I have a 3 groove waterpump pulley.your motor must be A/C with the 2 groove water pump pulley.
It does have the harmonic dampner, I don't know about the water pump pulley, The engine only had a alternator and a power steering pump on it when we got it with our truck, The engine is supposed to be from a 1977 lincoln continental. So your engine doesn't have a harmonic dampner?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>