The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Original air cleaner swap plus some other stuff
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Original air cleaner swap plus some other stuff

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Original air cleaner swap plus some other stuff
    Posted: 13-October-2010 at 12:25PM
My 74GTS has a stock 351w which has the original air cleaner. I have bought (but not yet shipped from US to UK) a Ford Racing chrome air cleaner from Summit. There are 3 connection and I don't know exactly what to do with them. I am not sure what will connect to the new cleaner. 
1) The breather from the charcoal canister - Can I remove the hose that goes from the canister to the air cleaner and then rig up some type of breather valve on the canister to avoid creating a vacuum?

2) The PCV? pipe from the valve cover - do I simply replace with a push in breather (if so what type)

3) seems to run from the intake to the air cleaner - haven't got a clue what this is for but I seems to connect to another pipe which goes to the vacuum tee.

Pics of the above

4) Also, can I replace this with another push in type cap? If so, what do I do with the pipe that goes to the carb, remove and plug the hole on the carb?

Also, looking at getting new quarter window seals as mine have gone brittle and leave a nice gap between the glass. Picon3 suggested Dearborn but was just wondering if anyone else had any other suggestions, the more the merrier!!

Finally, do they do a plain black fascia instead of this carbon fibre type one I currently have?

Thanks guys
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2010 at 12:50PM
I'd leave as much of that as you could. open breathers make a mess IMO. 

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
TopGear (TG) View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TopGear (TG) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2010 at 1:42PM
I have to say, you did a great job of taking those pics and getting such clear images. Good lighting I guess.
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2010 at 2:54PM
Better full pic of the dash and I would do a swap with you!
I have a good plain black one in the garage.
I'll get you a pic this week.
I would like the swirl look one you have!
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2010 at 3:58PM
well the pcv works off the carb so why do you need to remove it.you need to have the pcv cause open breathers let oil out and maks a mess,I know this as I bought Ford Motorsports black wrinkle valve covers and the Motodsports breathers for each and it made a mess.I had to hook up the stock cap and pcv valve to fix it and had one chrome breather on the other cover.Ford Motorsports air cleaners have the hose connection underneath for the hose for the emmisions cannister.The vacuam hose is the only thing you might have to cap off
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2010 at 4:25PM
ok looking again the FM Air Cleaner has a hose connection which is the same as #2 on the air cleaner photo which goes to the other cover as a vent.put a push in breather in that valve cover as the vent and hook the emmisions cannister tube to the air cleaner as they seem to be the same size connections on #1 & # 2 on the air cleaner.I assume its just a vent for the cannister.Now as far as the vacuam line #3 what does that connection have on the air cleaner?is there any mechanism or valve? or can you simply bypass that connection and add a vacuam connectod and just hook those two vacuam hoses together.#4 the pcv valve gets left as is cause it doesn't involve the air cleaner and the carb is what the pcv works off of.hope that helps
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2010 at 2:46AM
In detail. If going with an open element air cleaner.

#1. Several options for this. The 'correct' way is to get a later charcoal box from a newer ford (late 70s). This would eliminate the large line and you'd still have a tank vent canister. 

OR... Run that line underneath the air cleaner using an air cleaner fitting.

#2. That's part of the PCV system. When I do these type of mods, I always put it back. Breathers are messy, and IMO, not the proper way to vent an engine. You can run into issues with oil coming out of the dipstick hole at WOT with simply a breather. I use the same hose fitting I posted above. See my air cleaner pic. 

3. That's for the air cleaner door, if it goes to the base of the air cleaner. If it does, you can cap it, or remove the T fitting.

4. you'll need to retain that, it's the PCV. They do make chrome caps that hold the PCV. 

PCV is positive crankcase ventilation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCV_valve

Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2010 at 4:06AM
#2 pcv is just a vent it has no suction like on the pcv valve which has vacuam from the carb.You can swap it for a push in breather as that is what I have on my Cleveland and there is no mess or oil as long as the pcv valve is hooked to the other side.Trust me it works as I first had 2 chrome breathers and had to pull the drivers side off and install the pcv cap and hook the pcv valve to the new 4 bbl carb,it worked fine after that.If you want you can hook it back up but it will work with just a breather on that side and not leak oil out but the pcv valve to the carb base is a must to vacuam out the crankcase pressure. there is one vent hose fitting on the Ford Motorsports air cleaner on the bottom half which hides it,plus the sides are open element so no place for it there
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2010 at 9:41AM
Just because you have breather in pace of #2 doesn't mean it's "correct".

Look up the benefits of a closed PCV system versus an open one. 

At cruise, your PCV valve is open, due to vacuum at the valve. This pulls fresh air into the engine from #2. In an OEM setup, the connector goes to a small filter inside the air cleaner, so the crankcase receives filtered air. 

While a breather has a filter (usually), at WOT, the PCV valve is closed, due to a lack of engine vacuum. Pressure in the crankcase builds up, and it must go somewhere. Enter that tube.. The engine itself creates a vacuum due to engine running, and the fumes will go down the engine. With a breather, most of the time, they'll puke oil all over the valve covers, intake manifold, exhaust manifold/headers.

An attempt at a solution I see locally is to use a wide elastic ponytail band around the base of the breather, in an attempt to contain the oil fumes. I just copy the OEM way. No mess. While Jeff might not have had difficulties, Both of my Cougars, and my F100 had oil around the valve cover opening to some degree. My Cavalier had a breather, that would puke at WOT, and drool down the valve cover onto the exhaust.. Made WOT rides 'smell' great.  I remember my fathers BelAir with a crate 350, when new, would shoot the dipstick out of the hole (!!), like a metal spitball!!

Whatever you do, don't put a solid cap over the hole which some people love to do for some reason... either a breather, or a tube. 

Paul
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2010 at 10:26AM
I gotta chime in here as well.

My 71 F-250, for which I have accomplished a great deal of minor mods (Edelbrock air cleaner, new PCV cap, etc) - I did get a "open breather" element for the valve cover (retained the PCV side to carb of course).

I get oil leaking out of it. It's messy. I put on a new E-brock intake and carb - nicely painted and all - and it's a mess. I just took the carb off this week to stick a carb spacer in (for heat issues) and I was thinking in my head how sick I was of the oil mess around that breather. It leaks onto the valve cover, pools around the intake. You get the picture.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
albo74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2010 at 11:24AM
 in regard to the gauge cluster cover the 73 is kind of a leather grained looking black , I wanted that look on my 74, that machined looking metal applique was just stuck on a 73 cover with a little glue which cleaned right off, latter years used slots and twist tabs, if you don't see any from the back you might be able to remove it, then there is always paint
albos73gts
little jimmy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2010 at 11:28AM

Damn this keyboard, this is the second time I've typed this and I can't remember everything that I originally put down.  Firstly, thank you all for the advice. I reckon I will probably go with connecting the pcv (#2) to the new air cleaner, I don't like the sound of oil spewing over the valve covers, especially since I am thinking of getting some stainless or chrome ones. I do have a breather cap so I could try it with the old covers on to see how messy it is. Looks like I can just cap off the vacuum line (#3). The charcoal box ..... Thinking of cutting the hose down to 1-2 inches and putting a sponge filter in to stop dirt getting in but won't block off completely and cause a vacuum build up in the gas tank. Will try and source a late 70's one as advised.

cowboyupdjcarl, thanks but still want to keep the swirly one, just want to see what a black one would look like also.

Just got to wait for my stuff to ship, the guy holding it went bust back in Feb/Mar and my stuff is tied up with his stock, auditors have to try to recover his debts and won't release my stuff yet, although they have agreed it won't be confiscated. So frustrating, some of the stuff I bought off ebay last October and have now been waiting a year for it. It would have been quicker to swim from the UK to the US and back again. Also, ordered the quarter window seal from Dearborn, will wait and see what its like.
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2010 at 3:43PM
The trim piece around your gauges looks like the OEM 77-79 piece for the rally pack. Lots of us want that piece, I'd sell it before tossing it :)
Paul
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2010 at 4:14PM
not trying to threadjack,but what is that dash bezel worth cause I might know where one is available,if they still have it.
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2010 at 6:30PM
Depends on condition. To be honest, this is the first time I've heard of anyone "not" wanting it. 
Paul
albo74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2010 at 9:19AM
  P square its not  that he don't want it, its the swirly  metal stick -  on piece he don't like. I think . it should come right off with out hurting it if is like mine.   However Pro Street,  I am looking for a good bezel  (rally ) if you gota line on one, mine has sun damage , the wood grain comes right off but the  plastic bezel is warpted   PM a price

Edited by albo74 - 16-October-2010 at 9:38AM
albos73gts
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2010 at 10:01AM
What he has (I think) is the 77-79 surround with the printed carbon fiber.

Like that. 
Paul
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2010 at 10:37AM
hmm I'll have to check on that bezel,not sure if it was machine turned or the carbon fiber like Psquare's asfar as condition I think it was NOS or like new.have to check if it's still available
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2010 at 10:45AM
after looking at the photo again on the first page,that is carbon fiber look like Paul said.It is a Sport cluster bezel,they were suppose to use it on a 72 GTS but last I heard was going with the grain texture but who knows.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2010 at 1:18PM
Hi guys, I will try and get a few good pics of the gauge cluster. All I know is that the car is a 74 GTS and that apart from the starsky paint job and wheels it is stock. I have the Marti report if anyone is interested. I bought it from a guy (Sam G - http://www.starskytorino.com/sam/photos.html ). He bought it from Paul S who imported the car from the US back in 2004. Paul has promised me all the pics of the starsky build process when he gets time to sort them, once he does I can put them on here if anyone is interested. I am going to try to carefully remove the carbon fibre piece and see what is is like underneath. I do like the look of it myself but just fancied a change to see what the plain black would look like. If I ever do decide to get rid, I will let everyone know.
The car was in good condition when I bought it last year, I have mainly done some cleaning in the engine bay and had some stuff powdercoated.I will have to start another thread and put all the pics on. Here's a nice arty one that I like.

And the missus says I'm not romantic......It's got a sunset hasn't it, what more does she want ????
Damo70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damo70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2010 at 12:33AM
Hi there,
I am currently going through simular problems you. I have changed the intake manifold to an edelbrock streetmaster performer with a holley 600. I dont know were to connect the PCV valve. Secondly on your charcoal canister, you have the pipe labeled number 1 going to the air intake however were does number 2 go to. Can you help me at all? I have a 75 Gran Torino with a 351 W
Cheers
Damian
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2010 at 5:44AM
Peeling that piece will result in a panel with some holes in it.. It's not solid underneath.

Paul
Ranchero72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2010 at 1:48AM
Originally posted by Damo70 Damo70 wrote:

Hi there,
I am currently going through simular problems you. I have changed the intake manifold to an edelbrock streetmaster performer with a holley 600. I dont know were to connect the PCV valve. Secondly on your charcoal canister, you have the pipe labeled number 1 going to the air intake however were does number 2 go to. Can you help me at all? I have a 75 Gran Torino with a 351 W
Cheers
Damian

Swap out the PCV/oil fill cap for a breather type setup instead and do away with the PCV if you're running an aftermarket air cleaner.  I don't have any experience doing that to a SBF, but you may have to change valve covers to accomplish that.  One of the other guys here would be better versed on it.

#2 can only be used on the stock air cleaner.  It's a breather that goes from the right side valve cover to the rear of the air cleaner and is filtered through a spongy filter in the air cleaner.  Again, if you are running an aftermarket air cleaner you will need to figure out how to mount a breather on the valve cover on that side.
'72 Ford Ranchero 500
-351C C4
Damo70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damo70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2010 at 1:55AM
Hi,
I am only using the stock air cleaner on the car still. Prior to changing the carby, the PCV connected into the front of the carby. As for the charcoal pot, I have one coming from the same intake as well via a spongy filter. I looked at the pot again today and it actually has 4 pipes out of it. 2 are vacuum small in size one from the air intake and the other one has been cut off at the pot so that is the one I am trying to locate were it's meant to go.
Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2011 at 4:49AM
I am fed up waiting for my Ford Racing air cleaner and other parts to arrive so I have started top re-order things and get them sent direct to me. I will get a cheap air cleaner for now. I also want to change out my valve covers. I was thinking of these http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRO-66724/?rtype=10. I want to change the breather and the PCV for chrome ones but not sure exactly what I need.

Here is current set-up.

I have no mechanical knowledge I'm ashamed to say. Can someone let me know what I need to buy apart from gaskets (grommets, what type of breathers pvc valves or breathers) nothing too "high-end" any suggestions of part numbers or links to summit would be great. I am getting the stuff shipped to the UK so I want to make sure I don't miss anything.

Thanks guys

James
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2011 at 5:56AM
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPE-4284/

Breather for drivers side valve cover. 

Passenger side. 

Two of those. 

FWIW, Chrome valve covers will rust if you stare at them hard enough. 

Go with rubber gaskets, IMO. 

Paul
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2011 at 8:51AM
are you sure it's OK for you to change the emissions stuff, the Queen won't get upset?

for tube #1 at the air filter use one of these, 'Marine Style Vent Hose Adapters' available at Summit http://www.knfilters.com/filteraccess.htm measure the tube ID size before ordering

for #2 remove the elbow from the valve cover and use a push-in breather, measure the grommet ID size before ordering

cap off #3 at the vacuum tree on the intake manifold. a vacuum cap or 25.4mm of vacuum hose with a screw in it will work

for #4 get a new PCV valve with a 90* elbow on top like this
so the hose doesn't have to stick straight up like it's happy to see you

Edited by Rockatansky - 13-February-2011 at 8:57AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2011 at 12:51AM
Thanks everyone for the advice. Had a look on the forums and found the type of set up I would like (obviously mine won't be anywhere near as nice) Ralph, hope you don't mind me using one of your pics but that car is stunning !!

I will get a push in breather with PCV
and a breather for the other side

I will cap of the vacuum tree on the intake.

please don't take offence if you have suggested one thing and I have done something else but I REALLY like the look of this engine.

BTW Rockatansky, the Queen said I should go for it, and that you can't beat a bit of bling.

Post Reply Post Reply