The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Small Block Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

upgrading to the 4 barrel carb

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_final_hoorah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: upgrading to the 4 barrel carb
    Posted: 28-October-2010 at 4:11PM
so this has been an ongoing conversation between me my lil brother my brother in law my father and so on and so forth, in any case heres the specs, i have a 1973 ford gran torino 4 door with a 302 5.0L 2V engine auto tranny,  im upgrading restoring her to her former glory for my sunday driver and to hand down to my son in 16 years, now i want opinions my dad says i should go with a holley 600 with vaccum secondaries and my brother in law says i should find a carter but i have edelbrock valve covers and kindof wanted it to match up, let me know what you all think, also if you know of any good places to find torino parts id love to hear that too,

Sincerely
Layden
*sniff sniff* whats that?....tire smoke genius
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2010 at 12:33AM
carter or holley for performance, edelbrock for simplycity of tune
don't forget you need to change the intake as well for a 4 barrel
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2010 at 4:06AM
edelbrock carbs are Carter unless you get and early Carter carb.I bought a new style Carter AFB 600 cfm carb in 89-90 and a few years after Edelbrock had the identical carb and no longer seen Carter.I believe they were bought out.Sure Holleys are more tunable with all the different jet sizes and such but for a daily D the Edelbrock is perfect for what you need and very reliable
the_final_hoorah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_final_hoorah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2010 at 5:10AM
thanks guys ill be sure to keep that in mind, i have the chrome edelbrock valve covers that are like 50 bucks u get at advance, if im not mistaken the product number is 4450 or somthing, but a chrome edelbrock 4 barrel would match up nice, so new question whats a good and cost effective intake for the 4 barrel
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2010 at 6:59AM

Edelbrock 21214  (endurashine finish)

for parts check out http://blueoval6079.com/

Edited by Rockatansky - 29-October-2010 at 7:01AM
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2010 at 7:00AM
Edelbrock Performer intake is want you want.I put one on my Cleveland when I switched to 4 barrel.A good dual plane intake is what your after.
302ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 302ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2010 at 7:47AM
I love holley's myself. But an edelbrock carb is probably perfect for your situation. Almost always "bolt on and  go"
79 LTD II 408/TKO/3.7's

11.78 117.3mph. drag radials

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2010 at 8:22AM
higher probability that a Carter(Edelbrock Performer) carb will be close to 'spot on' out of the box than a Holley, & much easier / cleaner to tune a Carter style than a Holley. even if you need to change the main jets(not likely) in a Carter you don't spill any gas and it can be done on the car. metering rods & springs are even easier, i think i've heard it can be done with the engine running. and the Endurashine finish is the way to go if long term appearance is a concern

BTW, Edelbrock markets reman carbs through their own website and Jegs/Summit but check the prices, i noticed that the remans can be more than a new unit in some cases

14054 is an Endurashine 600cfm, 339.95 at Summit
140549 is the reman number, 361.95 at Summit

i've been shopping carbs the last few days, seen New In Box and little use carbs on Craigslist & Ebay

Edited by Rockatansky - 29-October-2010 at 8:23AM
the_final_hoorah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_final_hoorah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2010 at 11:50AM
alright good stuff good stuff, now does anybody have a larger cam suggestion? im pulling belles 302 (thats what i named my torino, belle) and stripping it down to nuts and bolts and rebuilding it with better parts, let me hear some ideas ive rebuilt plymouth and chevy mostly this is my first ford, unless u count the 82 bronco full size that my dad and i turned into a tank, she had a 351c and that was when i was like 10 because thats what he mainly tought me on but my cuda was my first true solo project after that my 71 roadrunner and 67 impala ss, so yeah let me hear your ideas and ill post pics as the project progress

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2010 at 1:52PM
to be realistic you need to decide on the rear gear ratio and build the rest of the combo to suit. with a big car and relatively small engine, less is more in the cam selection dept. too much cam will dog it out and no amount of tuning can do anything about it 

here's a Comp cams download that helps pick a cam
TopGear (TG) View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TopGear (TG) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2010 at 6:11AM

Good name, mine I call "Bella".

TopGear (TG) View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TopGear (TG) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2010 at 6:12AM
I just swapped in a Summit street and strip intake mani and one of their 600 cfm carbs. It started and idled just fine right out of the box.
 Post Reply Post Reply