The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Early 70's 429-2BBl

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Early 70's 429-2BBl
    Posted: 29-November-2010 at 2:51PM
I am working a deal with the guy at my Torino Farm.
He has an original 429 from 70-71 I think. Could be earlier.

The car had 30,000 original/actual miles on it when they tore the car apart, raced it as a cruiser class for less than a season. It has a factory 2BBL intake! He is going to ask the guy who ran it last where the original carb is. The Carb alone is a treasure... LARGEST 2BBL Ford ever made!
It is still attached to the Auto tranny... maybe a C6?
engine turns freely by hand.

WHAT is it worth in reality.
He sai alot of people want it for restoration purposes to make a numbers matching car.
Even had $1000 offered a few years ago when they were racing it.

Looking for y'all's advise.
Would be a drop it in "Ol' Brown" and go!
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
73 GT Sport 429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 GT Sport 429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2010 at 3:42PM
I paid $100 for my 73 4brl 429 with 80K and it came with a car attached! I don't think I would give a grand for it. Have you seen the engine or just heard a description? Is he trying to work out a "farm trade"? Or does he want cash? What's it worth to you is what counts. Does "Ol Brown" already have a 29? If not I hope it comes with the accessories. I could be wrong but I think the 29's all used a C6 (or 4 speed). Good luck Carl!
Mark

original owner-93 Lightning
73 Gran Torino Sport 429 (prodigal son)
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2010 at 3:52PM
Just sold a complete 460 engine (that previously was a running engine) for $100. The other $900 for this 429 must be in the fact it is numbers matching. If that is what you seek, it is probably worth the additional $900. If not, probably not worth it.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2010 at 4:07PM
I am not in NEED of this motor or numbers matching.
The motor does have the P/S pump and Alt on it. along with all the pulleys.

I have the opportunity to pick up a COMPLETE fan to tail shaft, oil pan to aircleaner 74 truck 460 w/C6 for $400 I would buy before I spent anymore than that on this 429.
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2010 at 4:44PM
only worth $200-250 in my book cause it's a 2v which is a Thunderjet motor.Same thing that is in my car.it's a 320 hp engine opposed to a 360hp 4v Thunderjet.The CobraJets were 370 horse and SuperCobraJet were 375hp.The 2v motors were found in Galaxie,LTD,Thunderbirds.Personally I would rather have a 4v engine.No way a 429 2v is worth that much and it is only numbers matching for the car it originally came out of,any other car it would be date code correct in the same year car.Some fool wants to pay that much let them and get the 460 if you want a bigblock.
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2010 at 4:55PM
Thats what I was thinking.
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
interceptor460 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote interceptor460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2010 at 6:13AM
The 74 460 truck engine will have spot faced connecting rods like the CJ engine.  It helps a bit in strength. 
steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2010 at 2:02PM
  maybee the guy is asking too much, but what type of heads are on it ?  75 cc dove  is it a dove - A block ? With the BB c-6 attatched it may be worth a few hundred if you do a complete rebuild.
72 gts fst bk in 1982 !!
currently building 73 fast back with a dove-a 429.
steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2010 at 2:03PM
72 gts fst bk in 1982 !!
currently building 73 fast back with a dove-a 429.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2010 at 2:13PM
being it's a 2v probably the C9VE like mine.DoveA blocks are not as common as I understand it.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2010 at 2:19PM
I had a 74 F100 with 460 C6 and that truck screamed.It would get up and go but had to watch taking off as it would send the tire into a blaze but if you feathered it off the line and then stomped on it man that truck would go go go!
 Post Reply Post Reply